PDA

View Full Version : Cheerleaders?

skottyj242
04-19-2005, 10:47 AM
I should have brought this up the other day but I blocked it out of my mind until this morning. I was at the game on Saturday and apparently the White Sox (Brooks Boyer) have decided it would be a good idea to hire cheerleaders. These are the yahoos who throw t-shirts into the stands and what not. During the game one of these morons came running down the aisle of my section (158) proclaiming that we were going to start a wave. I told him there was no way in hell that we were doing the wave and I stood up and vocally professed my feelings to my fellow fans. A few other guys started joining me and I made the kid feel pretty bad when he walked away. What the hell are these guys doing here? All this was happening while the game was going on. What are they going to do next have guys put their head to a bat spin around a couple of times then throw a baseball over the wall? Granted Brooks has done some good things like Sox Pride but between this and the oh so tacky opening introductions this is absolutely horrible. I am going to the game tonight and if this continues I will be really mad. We're a PROFESSIONAL baseball team, we should start acting like it.

jenmcm76
04-19-2005, 10:52 AM
During the game one of these morons came running down the aisle of my section (158) proclaiming that we were going to start a wave. I told him there was no way in hell that we were doing the wave and I stood up and vocally professed my feelings to my fellow fans. A few other guys started joining me and I made the kid feel pretty bad when he walked away.

Jeez, the poor kid was just trying to do his job - probably for minimum wage. Besides, he doesn't come down to the rendering plant to heckle you...

IlliniSox
I'm surprised, Brooks usually has his finger on the pulse of the fans; like "don't throw homerun balls back, give them to a kid". He should know the wave is an insult to the players on the field and to the true fans.

elrod
No, they are not cheerleaders. If you want baseball cheerleaders go to a Marlins game in Miami. They have real cheerleaders who actually do a Marlins cheer every half inning and roam through every section getting the fans riled up. The Sox girls are just ad hoc promotional employees who run out with cheerleader-like uniforms about two times a game. Frankly, cheerleaders do not belong at a baseball game. Ever.

skottyj242
04-19-2005, 10:53 AM
Rendering plant?

itsnotrequired
I should have brought this up the other day but I blocked it out of my mind until this morning. I was at the game on Saturday and apparently the White Sox (Brooks Boyer) have decided it would be a good idea to hire cheerleaders. These are the yahoos who throw t-shirts into the stands and what not. During the game one of these morons came running down the aisle of my section (158) proclaiming that we were going to start a wave. I told him there was no way in hell that we were doing the wave and I stood up and vocally professed my feelings to my fellow fans. A few other guys started joining me and I made the kid feel pretty bad when he walked away. What the hell are these guys doing here? All this was happening while the game was going on. What are they going to do next have guys put their head to a bat spin around a couple of times then throw a baseball over the wall? Granted Brooks has done some good things like Sox Pride but between this and the oh so tacky opening introductions this is absolutely horrible. I am going to the game tonight and if this continues I will be really mad. We're a PROFESSIONAL baseball team, we should start acting like it.

I agree that trying to start something up during play is a little weak but what's with all the hate on the wave? Who cares? Tacky opening introductions? They are designed to get the crowd fired up. What do you want, some guy to dryly introduce the team and fans that politely applaud good plays and never stand up?:dunno:

Straight-up cheerleaders are not necessary though.

Cat Thief

Aren't those people there to sponsor Chevrolet? They are pretty annoying. Sunday in right field it took them a full inning to pass out 49 signs to 49 different people that spelled Go Sox. Jeez. Talk about distracting. I told my wife If i was in that group I would have told them to leave me the hell alone and that I'm trying to watch the game.

BTW the wave sucks....

:mad:

skottyj242
04-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Aren't those people there to sponsor Chevrolet? They are pretty annoying. Sunday in right field it took them a full inning to pass out 49 signs to 49 different people that spelled Go Sox. Jeez. Talk about distracting. I told my wife If i was in that group I would have told them to leave me the hell alone and that I'm trying to watch the game.

BTW the wave sucks....

:mad:

They did that on Saturday too in the section next to mine, it's a good thing the game was so long because I would have missed a part of it if it was under two hours.

mikesouthside
04-19-2005, 11:05 AM
No Wave. Period.

crazyozzie02
04-19-2005, 11:14 AM
I totally agree with you guys. NO CHEERLEADERS IN BASEBALL EVER!!! Also the wave, no matter how much i hate it, must start on its own. It cant have someone trying to get fans to start it. It has to be started by a drunk fan in the outfield. It is pretty funny seeing it try to get past the fan deck becasue right and left field (parts of it) cant see eachother

FARMEO
04-19-2005, 11:33 AM
The "Pride Crew" tried to start the wave on Saturday as well, thankfully they were not successful. The crowd did seem to get excited about the T-shirts, I am not sure why, they are nothing special.

HITMEN OF 77
04-19-2005, 11:41 AM
The Sox have had cheerleaders on and off since the early 70's. How can we forget the Soxettes. I think Goose's wife was a Soxette. I see no problem with having cheerleaders, unless there running up and down aisles during the game acting like idiots.

ewokpelts
04-19-2005, 11:48 AM
The "Pride Crew" tried to start the wave on Saturday as well, thankfully they were not successful. The crowd did seem to get excited about the T-shirts, I am not sure why, they are nothing special. two words: free stuff

Clembasbal
04-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Section 158 does not do the wave ever...ask anybody who sits there. We do not do it. Having that kid try and start it in our section is a slap in the face to true section 158 fans!

Max Power
04-19-2005, 01:21 PM
This is stupid. If there's one area I've never thought we needed 'encouragement' in it's being loud and into the game. Brooks should focus his resources elsewhere.

Nellie_Fox
04-19-2005, 03:04 PM
The crowd did seem to get excited about the T-shirts, I am not sure why, they are nothing special.Because it's free stuff. "Yeah, I know it's ugly, but it's free!"

mikehuff
04-19-2005, 03:13 PM
What was that dude's name that used to sing and dance on the dugout in 2000?

itsnotrequired
04-19-2005, 03:17 PM

This guy?

http://www.noglory.com/noglory/images/homer_mascot.jpg

skottyj242
04-19-2005, 03:22 PM

I believe it was the Get Up Guy. He always had a Sox logo on the side of his face.

MRKARNO
04-19-2005, 03:25 PM
The wave is horrible and considering that Buehrle was in the midst of the best game by a White Sox pitcher in years, it was a terrible time to start one, whether or not he was pitching at the time.

If you're reading this Brooks, don't send out White Sox employees to start the wave!

mikehuff
04-19-2005, 03:56 PM
I believe it was the Get Up Guy. He always had a Sox logo on the side of his face.

No not The Get Up Guy. He used to sit close to the field with a "GET UP!" sign.
The guy I'm thinking of was hired by the Sox as an in-game promotions guy. Remember that microphone he used to carry around? I think his name was Kevin or something. Someone will get it.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-19-2005, 04:16 PM
No not The Get Up Guy. He used to sit close to the field with a "GET UP!" sign.
The guy I'm thinking of was hired by the Sox as an in-game promotions guy. Remember that microphone he used to carry around? I think his name was Kevin or something. Someone will get it.

Joe Stephen. He finally got fired a few years ago after taunting Chuck Finley with some pre-game music chosen in bad taste.

You can probably stll hire him for a wedding reception or bar mitzvah... well-matched to his lack of talent.

mikehuff
04-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Joe Stephen. He finally got fired a few years ago after taunting Chuck Finley with some pre-game music chosen in bad taste.

You can probably stll hire him for a wedding reception or bar mitzvah... well-matched to his lack of talent.

Exactly, this is hilarious because Harry just mentioned him on the Mac Jurko and Harry show. I forgot that he had the headset microphone like Madonna though. I knew there was something with a microphone.

jenmcm76
04-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Rendering plant?

Well, I don't know where you work.... I took a shot. :rolleyes:

LongLiveFisk
04-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Some of you mentioned the "Get Up Guy". What ever happened to him?

soxwon
04-19-2005, 11:28 PM
hey theres one blonde girl thats HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

FJA
04-19-2005, 11:47 PM
You'll always have some idiot fan trying to start the wave anyway ... that's a handful in itself. The last thing we need is a Sox-sponsored wave.

Ron Karkovice
04-20-2005, 12:01 AM
The wave actually looks pretty darn sweet when its done right. I remember a couple years ago on ELvis night all 38,000+ fans were into it and it was a cool sight.

Ron Karkovice
04-20-2005, 12:03 AM
Some of you mentioned the "Get Up Guy". What ever happened to him?

they were talking about him today on the score i think... they said he was very annoying and he was fired after many sox fans said they couldn't stand him. He was pretty annoying, I felt awkward when he was close by cause most people tried to look the other way

MILTMAY5
04-20-2005, 12:57 AM
The wave bugs me almost as much as idiots that show up in the 3rd inning and can't find their seat or the one's who spend the entire game talking about their day at work.........ARGH!:chicago

Gosox1917
04-20-2005, 01:07 AM
While the wave does look cool, it distracts from the reason why I came to the park: to see the game. If they keep raising the damn ticket prices, then I should be able to watch a game without having to put up with cheerleaders during the middle of the game. Also, do away with half-price night. There were more distractions at that game than I have ever been to, referring to this past Monday night. I had spilled behind me that ended up on my shoes, people who thought watching a fight break out was more important than the game in the eighth, and these yahoos coming out between innings. Keep the pizza race and the hidden ball game on the scoreboard between innings and I'm happy. The homerun contest in the fundamentals is pretty cool too.

duke of dorwood
04-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Andy the Clown was all the cheerleader I ever needed

:andy

skottyj242
04-20-2005, 10:48 AM
While the wave does look cool, it distracts from the reason why I came to the park: to see the game. If they keep raising the damn ticket prices, then I should be able to watch a game without having to put up with cheerleaders during the middle of the game. Also, do away with half-price night. There were more distractions at that game than I have ever been to, referring to this past Monday night. I had spilled behind me that ended up on my shoes, people who thought watching a fight break out was more important than the game in the eighth, and these yahoos coming out between innings. Keep the pizza race and the hidden ball game on the scoreboard between innings and I'm happy. The homerun contest in the fundamentals is pretty cool too.

It's pretty interseting that you bring up doing away with the half price night...last night I was sitting in right field talking to some friends and I heard the reason that Tuesdays is "half price" only in the upper deck is because the season ticket holders complained about all the idiots that would just go and get hammered and cause a problem. I guess there were no complaints about Mondays, just Tuesdays.

chaz171
04-20-2005, 11:00 AM
THe wave is in the same league with dancing bananas.

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2005, 11:52 AM
The wave actually looks pretty darn sweet when its done right.*groan*

Malgar 12
04-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Exactly, this is hilarious because Harry just mentioned him on the Mac Jurko and Harry show. I forgot that he had the headset microphone like Madonna though. I knew there was something with a microphone.

Didn't he dance on the top of the sox dugout with couple of bimbos, and try and get people "pumped?" OH BOY WAS HE AWFUL!!!!!!!

na_na_na_na
04-20-2005, 06:10 PM
I was fine with the t-shirt shooting, and the section sized SOX sign they made was cool but I draw the line at the wave. They must be stopped

Fenway
04-20-2005, 06:29 PM
No, they are not cheerleaders. If you want baseball cheerleaders go to a Marlins game in Miami. They have real cheerleaders who actually do a Marlins cheer every half inning and roam through every section getting the fans riled up. The Sox girls are just ad hoc promotional employees who run out with cheerleader-like uniforms about two times a game. Frankly, cheerleaders do not belong at a baseball game. Ever.

I thought you were kidding

http://mlb.mlb.com/fla/images/fan_forum/mermaidheader_211x100.gif

http://mlb.mlb.com/fla/images/fan_forum/mermaids_581x300.jpg

nasox
04-20-2005, 06:40 PM
I thought you were kidding

http://mlb.mlb.com/fla/images/fan_forum/mermaidheader_211x100.gif

http://mlb.mlb.com/fla/images/fan_forum/mermaids_581x300.jpg

Them some good ones!:tongue: