PDA

View Full Version : The Ticket Windows at the Cell

LVSoxFan
04-19-2005, 10:29 AM
I just read a post on last night's game thread where a guy said his lady friend had tickets at will-call and it took her 40 minutes to get through that line and into the game.

When I went Saturday I showed up around starting time and I was in line for a good 20 minutes. The ticket agents showed absolutely no lack of urgency in moving people along, or even seemed to appreciate that the game had started. Out of three windows, only two were open. At one point, the guy even walked away from the window for about two minutes to do something. Finally, I got my ticket, took 10 steps to the usher, and when they scanned the ticket they said it had already been used. I told them I literally bought it 10 seconds ago but they said it wasn't their problem and now I needed to walk around to the desk inside gate 4. I walked all the way around, finally got in there, and they fixed it. Finally into the game: 2nd inning, 2nd half.

Sunday I went earlier, showing up around 1:45 for a 2:05 start. This line was even longer, and when I say the agents took their own sweet time I could not be understating it more. I clocked it, and they were averaging five minutes per group at the window. The couple in front of me had ordered for will-call and, after more than five minutes standing there with some other agent coming in and out looking at the computer... they were told to "go to Gate 4" because there's a problem. I knew exactly how they felt.

Oh, BTW, by the time I got in: 2nd inning again. The Sox were already down 2-0.

Why not order online in advance you say? I did all last summer; this year I thought I'd avoid the TM raping with the service fees--but it was such a nightmare I'm never doing it again. When I walked up last year on occasion, I never had this sort of problem.

Tonight three friends said they want to go and I told them we need to buy online and they said "No we can just walk up, right?" I told them hell no. Not after that.

Anybody else notice this? I want to complain to somebody at the Cell but I don't know to whom? For a club that struggles to get fans to the park, they're sure shooting themselves in the foot on this one. It's the only negative I've encountered with that place, but it's a big one.

Jerko
04-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Just wait until you go to park in Lot F (that says $17) on the sign and are told it's a coupon only lot (even though I parked there last week and paid cash). It seems that at the beginning of each year they forget/change what it took them 5 months to figure out the year before. By August they should have everything down.

itsnotrequired
04-19-2005, 10:38 AM
I just read a post on last night's game thread where a guy said his lady friend had tickets at will-call and it took her 40 minutes to get through that line and into the game.

When I went Saturday I showed up around starting time and I was in line for a good 20 minutes. The ticket agents showed absolutely no lack of urgency in moving people along, or even seemed to appreciate that the game had started. Out of three windows, only two were open. At one point, the guy even walked away from the window for about two minutes to do something. Finally, I got my ticket, took 10 steps to the usher, and when they scanned the ticket they said it had already been used. I told them I literally bought it 10 seconds ago but they said it wasn't their problem and now I needed to walk around to the desk inside gate 4. I walked all the way around, finally got in there, and they fixed it. Finally into the game: 2nd inning, 2nd half.

Sunday I went earlier, showing up around 1:45 for a 2:05 start. This line was even longer, and when I say the agents took their own sweet time I could not be understating it more. I clocked it, and they were averaging five minutes per group at the window. The couple in front of me had ordered for will-call and, after more than five minutes standing there with some other agent coming in and out looking at the computer... they were told to "go to Gate 4" because there's a problem. I knew exactly how they felt.

Why not order online in advance you say? I did all last summer; this year I thought I'd avoid the TM raping with the service fees--but it was such a nightmare I'm never doing it again. When I walked up last year on occasion, I never had this sort of problem.

Tonight three friends said they want to go and I told them we need to buy online and they said "No we can just walk up, right?" I told them hell no. Not after that.

Anybody else notice this? I want to complain to somebody at the Cell but I don't know to whom? For a club that struggles to get fans to the park, they're sure shooting themselves in the foot on this one. It's the only negative I've encountered with that place, but it's a big one.

Yeah, that was us. We did walk up on Sunday and had no problem. However, we bought at gate 5 and got there just as the gates opened. I figured Monday would be a nightmare for walk-up so I bought tickets during Sunday's game right at the park. The line at gate 4 was only about a minute wait (if that) at 5:55 but turned into a 40 minute wait not even a half-hour later. Insane.

If you are going to do walk up on half-price nights, get there as soon as the gates open. Any decent amount of time after that and you can count on at least a 15 minute wait in line.

Another issue that needs to be addressed is the lack of pota-potties in the parking lot. Seriously, Lot A & B share, what, four of them? This is completly unacceptable. I've never tailgated at the park but imagine this would get annoying.

FRANK FORT
04-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Some of the wait should be contributed to the person buying the tickets. I've been there waiting, and the person in front of me is asking for specific sections / seats instead of lower deck or upper deck, or lower reserved or bleachers.

itsnotrequired
04-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Some of the wait should be contributed to the person buying the tickets. I've been there waiting, and the person in front of me is asking for specific sections / seats instead of lower deck or upper deck, or lower reserved or bleachers.

True, that can get annoying. Sox need to place bigger and clearer seating charts near the ticket windows so those not in the know can better decide what they want before they get up to the window. They need to do that on the inside booths as well. I was at the upper-deck booth and the only seating chart was incside the booth, facing the sales person. Weak.

ewokpelts
04-19-2005, 10:52 AM
email boyer...bboyer@chisox.com he needs to be notified about these problems...

Gene

jenmcm76
04-19-2005, 10:56 AM
If you guys have complaints about stuff like this, go to the Guest Relations window (main concourse, behind home plate) and complain. If nothing else, your complaint will be lodged, and you might just get some Comiskey Cash or something for your troubles.

LVSoxFan
04-19-2005, 10:57 AM

I understand that and certainly there's some knuckleheads in line that are literally running through all the options, clueless.

But that couple in front of me were will-call, and these guys did not seem to care that it was taking more than five minutes with at least 50 of us in line behind them.

I even heard some people in line talking about just leaving and coming back for some other game, it was that slow.

fincher
04-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Get a pocket schedule and keep it handy. :smile:

mweflen
04-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Bottom line, they don't staff the windows adequately, and they don't direct people to open/lesser used windows adequately. Why not have "security" guys direct people to the gate 3/5 windows instead of the huge cluster-$#@! at gate 4? Why not have more than 2 people at the 10-window stations at gates 3 and 5?

They have a zillion freakin' ushers inside to annoy the piss out of you, but 4 guys outside actually selling tickets to let you in.

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 11:15 AM
They do need to streamline what goes on over there. The Ticket agents
are veeryyyyyyyyyyy sloooooooooooooooooow and without a care in the world,
lines be darned. However, fans do get alot of the blame, slowly
figuring out where they want to sit etc etc

itsnotrequired
04-19-2005, 11:19 AM
It would be really nice if there were ticket kiosks that you could walk up to ang get a ticket. You know, like the kiosks in airports you can use to get your boarding pass. Do any stadiums have something like this or are their rules against such devices?

Could you imagine how awesome this would be? You could put them at local bars, merchants, etc. and print tickets right at the machine.

SoxFan78
04-19-2005, 11:22 AM
I was at will call yesterday picking up my tickets. I ordered them off of the Sox Charge line. Well when I told the guy this he looked at me like I had horns growing out of my head. He asked for my credit card. I told him that I didnt charge them on my cc, I got them through sox charge. Then he asked me for a confirmation number, again i told him i didnt have one. Then he looks around and needs to get somebody. COME ON, ARE YOU NEW?

After a couple of minutes he finally got my tickets. Unbelievable.

ewokpelts
04-19-2005, 11:43 AM
It would be really nice if there were ticket kiosks that you could walk up to ang get a ticket. You know, like the kiosks in airports you can use to get your boarding pass. Do any stadiums have something like this or are their rules against such devices?

Could you imagine how awesome this would be? You could put them at local bars, merchants, etc. and print tickets right at the machine.tickets.com(cubs ticketing partner, and now owned by mlb.com) has kiosks at sports authority....they also have a ticket machine/atm at wrigley, but it's never working(at least when i try it)
Gene

ewokpelts
04-19-2005, 11:44 AM
I was at will call yesterday picking up my tickets. I ordered them off of the Sox Charge line. Well when I told the guy this he looked at me like I had horns growing out of my head. He asked for my credit card. I told him that I didnt charge them on my cc, I got them through sox charge. Then he asked me for a confirmation number, again i told him i didnt have one. Then he looks around and needs to get somebody. COME ON, ARE YOU NEW?

After a couple of minutes he finally got my tickets. Unbelievable.when bigger crowds are expected, they usually grab guys from the bulls/united center(and sometimes, sox ticket crews work the uc)...still dosent explain all the problems...
Gene

wildcat
04-19-2005, 11:48 AM
There is also a lack of signage for people buying tickets for future games. Last time I tried to do that I waited in one line for 10 minutes before getting to the front and being told I had to go to another window. Last night I finally realized that there's an advance ticket window in the upper deck. If I had seen a sign for that outside somewhere, I could've saved some time and reduced the line for day-of walkup.

maurice
04-19-2005, 12:41 PM
they don't direct people to open/lesser used windows adequately.

Excellent point. It's almost comical that you have throngs of people waiting in line for tickets but, short walkiing distance away, there's a set of ticket windows with no line. You'd think it would be obvious for the security folks standing around to tell folks to move down to the open windows.

:reinsy
"I am the master of customer service."

converted
04-19-2005, 01:07 PM

Yep. I had tickets at will call as well. After being robbed by TM, I also had to stand in a line for about 25 minutes just to pick up the tickets that I had already ordered. Don't most parks have very specific windows for picking up these tickets ONLY? I know there was a sign that told me to go to GATE 5 for TM will call, but there were also people walking up to that gate to buy tickets. I agree it needs to be better organized. I don't want to have to wait that long if I already have tickets paid for. I didn't miss any of the game, though. I was at the park by 6:00.

dickallen15
04-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Fortunately I have season tickets, but I noticed the long lines going into the park, and was appalled at the number of ticket windows that were closed. For crying out loud, its a game against maybe your biggest rival on half price night and the weather is perfect. I would think you would prepare for a huge walk up. There are no excuses for closed ticket windows and closed gates. One thing this team needs to do if it expects to consistantly draw big crowds is show people they can handle it. Waiting 30 or 40 minutes for tickets while only half the windows are open will only make people leery of coming back.

mweflen
04-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Fortunately I have season tickets, but I noticed the long lines going into the park, and was appalled at the number of ticket windows that were closed. For crying out loud, its a game against maybe your biggest rival on half price night and the weather is perfect. I would think you would prepare for a huge walk up. There are no excuses for closed ticket windows and closed gates. One thing this team needs to do if it expects to consistantly draw big crowds is show people they can handle it. Waiting 30 or 40 minutes for tickets while only half the windows are open will only make people leery of coming back.

damn straight.

LVSoxFan
04-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Well I've surrendered for now.

I'm going tonight and I bought four under the Pepsi 2-for-1 deal (sweet!) but hell no--I bought them online and paid the $2 per ticket service fee.

There is no way I will stand in line for 20-40 minutes again. Maybe they do that on purpose to discourage you from buying at the gate, so you have to use Ticketmaster.

Hey anything's possible--that wouldn't surprise me.

BainesHOF
04-19-2005, 01:50 PM
The Sox blatant lack of caring about treating their fans properly has been going on for years.

itsnotrequired
04-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Yep. I had tickets at will call as well. After being robbed by TM, I also had to stand in a line for about 25 minutes just to pick up the tickets that I had already ordered. Don't most parks have very specific windows for picking up these tickets ONLY? I know there was a sign that told me to go to GATE 5 for TM will call, but there were also people walking up to that gate to buy tickets. I agree it needs to be better organized. I don't want to have to wait that long if I already have tickets paid for. I didn't miss any of the game, though. I was at the park by 6:00.

My friend had to go to gate four because we dropped off an actual, physical ticket for her. I was under the impression that a TM will call was available at any window (they just print the ticket right there). I've never done it before though. Anyone?