PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers: Company Man

fquaye149
04-19-2005, 02:25 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050418rogers,1,3382826.column?coll=cs-home-utility

I know a lot of us like Phil because he posts here and I appreciate the work he does that isn't Cubune propaganda, but i'm growing a little weary of the fact that for every one decent article he writes you get 2 or 3 like this:

He certainly didn't mind Guillen's out-of-nowhere knife job on Thomas after Sunday's loss to Seattle.

Nor would the Twins stage a spectacle like the pregame scene the Sox found themselves with Monday, where Guillen and Thomas talked separately to a group of perhaps two dozen reporters about their relationship and their respective takes on Thomas' comments Saturday and Guillen's response Sunday.

While Thomas said all the right things about wanting to fit in to the team that is off to a 9-4 start, at one point Monday even calling himself a "role player," there's no way the two-time MVP is going to be one of the boys.

I'm really not convinced this article wasn't written by Morrissey or Mariotti or one of the ESPN idiots

TheBull19
04-19-2005, 02:34 AM
I know a lot of us like Phil because he posts here and I appreciate the work he does that isn't Cubune propaganda, but i'm growing a little weary of the fact that for every one decent article he writes you get 2 or 3 like this:

I've never been a fan of his negative slant on the sox, or his backhanded comments re: Thomas especially and the team in general, but he is right on in branding Ozzie "The Lip". On the other hand, his comparison of Thomas to Meintkiewicz is utterly ridiculous. And wasn't it Ozzie who had a case of "diarrhea of the mouth" as Rogers so eloquently puts it? I would hardly consider Thomas stating he expects to be in the lineup when he returns to be that - I mean, everyone expects Thomas to be in the lineup as far as I was aware. Yet he draws a comparison between Meitkiewicz and Thomas? Yeah, I'm sure they'd have gotten rid of Doug if he was a 40 HR .400 OBP guy.

I guess the Trib is in panic mode, the more success the sox have, the more irrational and dirty their coverage becomes to compensate. Bastards.