PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Scheduling - Last Twins/Sox game for 4 months!?!

Unregistered
04-19-2005, 02:30 AM
Didn't really notice this until I read the ESPN recap of today's game and saw the Sox v. Twins schedule to the right. Are my eyes/ESPN deceiving me or do the Sox not play the Twins until AUGUST 15??

Sounds like after tommorrow's game, it's gonna be a race to August with the better record before the final 14 head to head matchups in the last month and a half of the season.

Well played, schedule makers... :?:

Chicago83
04-19-2005, 02:32 AM
It's all good. We can expect some interesting games come august/september.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-19-2005, 02:35 AM
Last season, I seem to remember the Cubs having played all of their games against St. Louis prior to the All-Star Break.

Too bad they never got the chance to chip away at the Cards' division lead in late-season head-to-head matchups!

HomeFish
04-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Wow, a loss today would suck even more than I imagined because of this.

Tied in the standings and no head-tohead for months...sheesh.

Ol' No. 2
04-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Every year there's some goofy part about the schedule. Last year the Sox spent almost all of April and the first half of May playing the AL East and didn't play the Twins until May 14. I like having all those divisional games in September. So if you're going to play them early and late, it follows that you're not going to see them much in the middle.

Flight #24
04-19-2005, 10:43 AM
C'mon now - they can only play so many times. You can have extremely exciting beginning and ends to the season by playing your rivals, or you can have intermittent series, which inevitably lead to not playing someone down the stretch, and given the vagaries of baseball, will eventually end up with not playing your prime competitor.

You can't have it both ways, this is as good a setup as any - jump right into divisional games and then at the end, battle it out with your rivals. That necessitates fewer "rival" games in the middle, but that's OK.

jenmcm76
04-19-2005, 10:58 AM
I like it - builds the anticipation for the series later in the year, and it places more importance/urgency on them.