PDA

View Full Version : Beer sales cut off during sixth inning tonight...

Cat Thief
04-18-2005, 11:58 PM
The lady under the fan deck said security was having too many problems. Very young crowd. Sucks for the rest of us....

mealfred13
04-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Meh. When I'm at the game, I'm there to see the Sox play, not get smashed.

Cat Thief
04-19-2005, 12:03 AM

I like to have a beer every 2 innings or so.( Up to the bottom of the 7th) I'm not sure about you, but that don't get me smashed.

Furthermore.. I could care less if they got rid of these half price drunken yahoo nights....

HebrewHammer
04-19-2005, 12:04 AM
A lot of drunks tonight. There was even a tussle in the club level. Outside of the Sox/ScRubs games I can't remember that ever happening.

mealfred13
04-19-2005, 12:06 AM
I like to have a beer every 2 innings or so.( Up to the bottom of the 7th) I'm not sure about you, but that don't get me smashed.

Furthermore.. I could care less if they got rid of these half price drunken yahoo nights....

Beer 1 -1st or 2nd inning
Beer 2 -3rd or 4th inning
Beer 3 -5th or 6th inning

You're all set. Or just front-load your beer purchases. They all taste like piss anyway.

cheeses_h_rice
04-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Phew. At least Jay Mariotti has his angle for his column tomorrow now...

Cat Thief
04-19-2005, 12:10 AM
Never seen a fight in the club level before....I was in 163 there was a guy with a Twins hat and a Sosa jersey on. He had a sign that read "Tori Hunter Fan Club. He owns you." Somebody whipped a Pepsi bottle at him and then got tossed. His sign was rippeed up by the bottom of the first .Other than that I didn't see any other incidents. Security was all over the left field bleachers.

WikdChiSoxFan
04-19-2005, 12:10 AM
Sorry bout that...

I certainly wasn't doing anything to upset anyone...just loud. But yeah, there were a couple of skirmishes in rightfield...althought i didn't see any...everyone just got up and went "ooooh" but I'm guessing words were exchanged...i was in section 159

Alanzo XXXVIII
04-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Phew. At least Jay Mariotti has his angle for his column tomorrow now...

:tongue:
It's tough being a reporter, just gotta take things one day at a time... one day at a time....

chidonez
04-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Personally, I don't think its the drinking as much as its the type of fans who show up for the cheap tickets. There were plenty of fights last year on the half price nights, and I was there the last time fans ran onto the field. It was embarrassing. The Sox ended up losing that night, and in my opinion, because they were distracted.

chisoxfanatic
04-19-2005, 12:13 AM
What was going on in the bleachers today at around the 4th or 5th inning? It looked like there was a bit of commotion over there from my seat in Section 147, Row 7.

Wimpy
04-19-2005, 12:15 AM
There was a long line buying beers from a seat vendor on the concourse (they are not supposed to sell on the concourse) as soon as the last out was made the vendor cut off sales and about 5 other beer vendors were hustling to get away from the many people trying to still get beers. Usually they will still sell until they sell the rest of their case but not tonight. I thought that was pretty weird.

There was a big fight in my section right after that. We need to stop fighting so they won't take away the half price nights.

cheeses_h_rice
04-19-2005, 12:18 AM
I was in 163 there was a guy with a Twins hat and a Sosa jersey on. He had a sign that read "Tori Hunter Fan Club. He owns you."

Jesus, what a ****ing loser that guy must be.

Having invested the $$$ in a Sham-ME* jersey, I'm guessing this jackass is some Flubbie-loving knob who bought the Twins hat and made the Toriiiii sign just to rile up Sox fans. It reminds me of the biggest Flubfan jerk that I ever saw at Comiskey, rooting on the Yankees a few years ago while wearing his Flubbie floppy and Sosa jersey; I seriously wanted to grab the guy and ask him why the hell he was there.

popilius
I was at the game tonight and there was a guy who definitely had a few drinks to many a few seats away from me. But, he spent most of the time ridiculing Joe Mauer so I didn't mind much. :cheers:

itsnotrequired
The vendors were still selling beer in my section (112) in the top of the 7th. There was a fight in 111 right behind us. Two dudes just jawing and one guy said something like "go ahead, hit me". So he did and the guy was gushing blood like you wouldn't believe. Security dragged them both away.

I agree, lots of young people tonight.

Cat Thief
04-19-2005, 12:19 AM

You're all set. Or just front-load your beer purchases. They all taste like piss anyway.

:kneeslap:

Banix12
04-19-2005, 12:21 AM
I watched the game on TV and I remember at some point, I think in the later innings, some yahoo held up a sign that said "Drink Beer!". Idiot...

Curbing beer sales doesn't really do much to help people at the stadium because in most cases the guys who are causing the trouble showed up at the stadium drunk.

I'll never understand people getting wasted at the game. Charging over 5 dollars a beer should be enough of a deterrent from getting too wasted at the stadium. It takes me about 5 beers to get a really good buzz going, that's over 25 bucks for miller lite. That's never gonna happen. You can get a case of better beer for that price.

WikdChiSoxFan
04-19-2005, 12:21 AM
The vendors were still selling beer in my section (112) in the top of the 7th. There was a fight in 111 right behind us. Two dudes just jawing and one guy said something like "go ahead, hit me". So he did and the guy was gushing blood like you wouldn't believe. Security dragged them both away.

I agree, lots of young people tonight.

Yeah, they stopped selling near our section, but we just walked a couple of sections over...they stopped selling early only near the problem sections...

by the way, who got hit...a sox fan, a twins fan, or a cubs fan?

Cat Thief
04-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Curbing beer sales doesn't really do much to help people at the stadium because in most cases the guys who are causing the trouble showed up at the stadium drunk.

Well said!

FARMEO
04-19-2005, 12:38 AM
The fight in section 111 involved a Cracker Jack vendor who probably stepped in to break it up. It took security a long time time to get to the fight. I had a beer dumped on me because the guy behind was too drunk to hold on to his cup. I avoided the bleachers to stay away from the Monday night crowd, but it didn't matter.

MrRoboto83
04-19-2005, 12:39 AM
not to mention all the flub fans that show up, buying cheap seats and just getting drunk and talking smack:angry:

DumpJerry
04-19-2005, 12:45 AM
As we were leaving Gate 5 to the parking lot, some [unprintable] tossed not one, but TWO beer showers on us from the 500 level.:angry: Probably a Flub fan, right?

chidonez
04-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Could be worse. A soccer match was cancelled in Milan last week after fans decided to volley flares onto the field. One player was hit...

elrod
04-19-2005, 12:47 AM
Was it just me or did someone actually throw Carl Everett's first home run back on the field? Maybe the guy was just faking it but it looked on TV like he was throwing it back.

MrRoboto83
04-19-2005, 12:48 AM
As we were leaving Gate 5 to the parking lot, some [unprintable] tossed not one, but TWO beer showers on us from the 500 level.:angry: Probably a Flub fan, right?

Only Flub fans would waste good expensive beer

DMarte708
04-19-2005, 12:48 AM
While I don't condone violence, I hope the Cub fan who threw Carl Everetts first HR ball back onto the field was given due justice (BEAT DOWN).

I've heard people say it doesn't matter if Cub fans attend games if they pay the ticket price, but after returning from today's game, I disagree. I'd rather have 15,000 Sox fans than a 30,000 packed house full of biligerent Cub/Sox fans liquored up.

Cat Thief
04-19-2005, 12:51 AM
Was it just me or did someone actually throw Carl Everett's first home run back on the field? Maybe the guy was just faking it but it looked on TV like he was throwing it back.

It came back....I couldn't see who threw it. Was it really a Cub fan? Wait why am I surprised?

itsnotrequired
04-19-2005, 12:51 AM
The fight in section 111 involved a Cracker Jack vendor who probably stepped in to break it up. It took security a long time time to get to the fight. I had a beer dumped on me because the guy behind was too drunk to hold on to his cup. I avoided the bleachers to stay away from the Monday night crowd, but it didn't matter.

Cracker Jack man was indeed trying to break it up. You're right, it took security about a day to get over there. All was back to normal when the "Git R Done" guy ran through the aisle and Cracker Jack returned to his duties.

GiveMeSox
04-19-2005, 12:58 AM

I think without the Half Price nights attendance would suffer. Honestly without the discount nights the prices are way way to high for going to multiple games. Bleacher and upper deck tickets are $24 and $20 respectivley. At other venues such as Detroit, Cleveland, Minny bleachers and UD tickets are $15 and under to get fans in the seats. If they did that we wouldn't need half price nights. But if they insist on paying $24 for a blacher seat I demand a half price night so a broader spectrum of people can attend.

Sargeant79
04-19-2005, 01:02 AM
Four subjects, one post...I'm being economical...

I was wondering what was going on that way. I noticed the commotion from my seats but couldn't tell what was going on.

Beer sales weren't cut off early in my section (130). I bought my last one of the night as the Sox were taking the field for the eighth inning.

I saw the guy with the "Drink Beer" sign. Wasn't he running up and down the aisles with it toward the end of the game?

I agree with Banix 12...beer costs too much to get completely tanked there. Even if I wanted to I wouldn't be able to afford it. Even on the rare occasions when I shell out the $25 or so to get 4 beers (with tip), it still isn't going to do much over the course of a couple hours. But there's entirely too many people out there who don't know how to act as soon as they've had a few. Morons+beer=stupid behavior.

Cat Thief
04-19-2005, 01:06 AM
I think without the Half Price nights attendance would suffer. Honestly without the discount nights the prices are way way to high for going to multiple games. Bleacher and upper deck tickets are $24 and $20 respectivley. At other venues such as Detroit, Cleveland, Minny bleachers and UD tickets are $15 and under to get fans in the seats. If they did that we wouldn't need half price nights. But if they insist on paying $24 for a blacher seat I demand a half price night so a broader spectrum of people can attend.

Yeah you're probably right....I was just annoyed tonight by the drunks because we were with the kids. If it were just the wife and I it probably would not have been such a big deal. But now that I think of it my stepson spent most of his time in the Fundamentals area. That is really nice up there. I had to go track him down!

chisoxfanatic
04-19-2005, 01:31 AM
Beer sales weren't cut off early in my section (130). I bought my last one of the night as the Sox were taking the field for the eighth inning.

Nor were they cut off in my section (147). The notable "Miller Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!! Genuine Draaaaaaaaaaaaaft!" guy who sells beer down the left field line was selling beer until about then as well.

I guess it's the beer vendor's duty to gague if the crowd's getting too rowdy around him at the time and can make decisions based on his opionions.

shoota
04-19-2005, 01:45 AM
The people who are really tanked don't buy all their beer at the park. They tailgate with their own cases of beer.

I want to give a warning to all Sox fans at this site: Every inch of the park is taped by camera. Farmer periodically mentions this when a fight breaks out during the game. I think he even said there's a holding cell IN the Cell. lol. So if you're going to get into a fight, let the Cub fan throw first.

doublem23
04-19-2005, 01:50 AM

Chicago is a more affluent area than Minneapolis or Detroit.

The Sox just need to get rid of Half Price Nights and forget that terrible experiment ever existed.

daveeym
04-19-2005, 02:33 AM
Oh where do i start.

1. average age of attendees tonight 22, average age of those drinking 17. I saw 3 different occassions when the vendors carded groups scattering and refusing to get id'd and then the vender still serving the ONE beer to the guy with the fake. Granted they were very strict about carding and giving one beer for one ID but it was high school kids drinking left and right, under age college is one thing but this was high school kids.

2. They definitely cut off beer sales before the 7th and it SUCKED. Sorry I felt like walking around and checking out the changes to the park and meeting up with some people but my boy and I couldn't get a round while the other was in the bathroom and then couldn't get a beer in the 7th. Great considering we were taking it easy on a monday but fricking contrarez decided to make this a marathon and we said what the hell.

3. It's games like this that gives sox fans a bad name, no ifs ands or buts about it that crowd was roughly 50 percent TRASH. Underage, drunk, and looking to start ****.

4. Can someone that watched the game please confirm that a twinkies fan caught everett's first homerun. Unbelievable that a sox homer was thrown back.

Go Joe and it was great to see a white sox winner but a lot of what is "wrong" with sox games was on display tonight. On a side note there must be a couple guys making bank on the southside with fake illinois id's because the underage kids that were actually buying all had Illinois id's.

pss. Fundamentals looked much better than i expected and it actually gave a cool feel to the concourse over there. The sausage products were rocking and the cell looked great. Was kinda an uneasy feel to the fans, like they're holding back from fully going nuts over this team though, seems like everyone's waiting to see them prove this over a few more weeks.

Knockoutinthepar
04-19-2005, 02:34 AM
Section 161 had its fair share of excitement:

I was sitting in row seven.

First Inning: someone in the next section over, further up the stands, gets into an argument with Sox fans. I failed to detect why. Security come and takes him away when he makes an obscene gesture involving one of his fingers. There was also some sort scuffle in 162 (row 1) involving the ejection of a Sox fan.

Now for what I actually saw--up close and personal.

Up in row two, directly ahead of me, there's a Twins fan. Dude's decked out in a jersey and helmet. He's with two girls and a guy who are far less blatantly attired. At first everything's cool: no more than the usual bickering and heckling back and forth. But by the third, this guy's taunting the crowd, holding up a pro-Hunter sign, wearing his helmet backwards so that all us Sox fans behind him can see it. The crow's anger grows, as does his arrogance, which he flaunts with exceptionally irritating disdain when the Twins pull ahead in the fifth. By this time the fans are nice and pickled--especially the bunch behind me who've managed to sneak a fifth of rum in the park. They throw peanuts at the guy's helmet with increasing accuracy. The shouts turn nasty in both language and tone. "Go back to Minnesota and pretend you have a culture!" Sox crowd around this tiny bunch, towering over them, shouting at them. When Crede homered someone managed to snatch his helmet away and give it a few good slams against the bench. Their sign was taken away a few times before finally getting ripped apart in the ninth. All the while I'm thinking about how bad this may get

The best part was after the game, when a bunch of the fans who'd been throwing peanuts and snapping towels at these people went over to shake their hands and have a good laugh.

Mauer's homer in the ninth was hit right over me. The fan that caught it didn't seem to want to throw it back, but he wasn't about to defy the mass of black and white clad fans that were ready to move in on him if he didn't do his duty.

While I don't particularly care for the fans who get smashed over the course of the game, I'd hardly be able to afford to go to games were it not for half-priced Mondays. Though my girlfriend, whose devotions lead toward the Cubs, tries to use Monday's as a counter-argument to my Cubs-fans-go-to-the-games-to-get-drunk,-not-to-watch-baseball speech, there's no doubt that even with a crowd like this you feel a desire to see the Sox win--a focus that moves further into the field with each inning. It may be violent, and it may be brazen, but its definitely South Side Pride.

Chicago83
04-19-2005, 02:40 AM
Never seen a fight in the club level before....I was in 163 there was a guy with a Twins hat and a Sosa jersey on. He had a sign that read "Tori Hunter Fan Club. He owns you." Somebody whipped a Pepsi bottle at him and then got tossed. His sign was rippeed up by the bottom of the first .Other than that I didn't see any other incidents. Security was all over the left field bleachers.

Yeah I was in section 160 and saw that Twins fan holding up a sign with the batting hat on. People were giving him a hard time but he was asking for it wearing that Twins jersey and holding up the sign. Other than that it didn't seem to bad, just seemed like there was a lot of younger people who were pretty drunk, but not rowdy.

FARMEO
04-19-2005, 02:49 AM
[QUOTE=Knockoutinthepar]
Mauer's homer in the ninth was hit right over me. The fan that caught it didn't seem to want to throw it back, but he wasn't about to defy the mass of black and white clad fans that were ready to move in on him if he didn't do his duty.
QUOTE]

Do his duty? We don't do that here, you are allowed to keep all homerun balls. Mauer's homerun didn't even change the outcome of the game.

Chicago83
04-19-2005, 02:50 AM
While I don't particularly care for the fans who get smashed over the course of the game, I'd hardly be able to afford to go to games were it not for half-priced Mondays. Though my girlfriend, whose devotions lead toward the Cubs, tries to use Monday's as a counter-argument to my Cubs-fans-go-to-the-games-to-get-drunk,-not-to-watch-baseball speech, there's no doubt that even with a crowd like this you feel a desire to see the Sox win--a focus that moves further into the field with each inning. It may be violent, and it may be brazen, but its definitely South Side Pride.

I too, sadly, have a GF who bleeds red and blue and I always tell her that most cubs fans are drunk and unemployed. I think there were a lot of drunken idiots at tonights game, but I imagine a Cub's game is much worse. Just think of the stupid things that probably go on in Wrigley.

daveeym
04-19-2005, 02:52 AM
I'll never understand people getting wasted at the game. Charging over 5 dollars a beer should be enough of a deterrent from getting too wasted at the stadium. It takes me about 5 beers to get a really good buzz going, that's over 25 bucks for miller lite. That's never gonna happen. You can get a case of better beer for that price. 2 reasons, it's easier to get beer with a fake at the game, and for those social drinkers it's about the same as going to a city bar (talking loop through wrigley area because beers really are getting that expensive) but much more fun to drink at a game.

Chicago83
04-19-2005, 02:53 AM
Do his duty? We don't do that here, you are allowed to keep all homerun balls. Mauer's homerun didn't even change the outcome of the game.

Yeah I thought it was stupid when that kid threw the ball back. That's a north side thing and there is no reason a sox fan should do that. It just makes them look bad.

daveeym
04-19-2005, 02:55 AM
I too, sadly, have a GF who bleeds red and blue and I always tell her that most cubs fans are drunk and unemployed. I think there were a lot of drunken idiots at tonights game, but I imagine a Cub's game is much worse. Just think of the stupid things that probably go on in Wrigley. Unfortunately the fights are much less intense and fewer and far between at wrigley. The bleachers at wrigley is the only area that MAY compare however there's much less room on an equally crowded night to throw haymakers and the security has more ground to cover at the cell. Nothing but a bears game can compare to the fights that break out at the cell, funny though how it's never a problem over at soldier's according to the media.

BainesHOF
04-19-2005, 03:04 AM
From section 161, Monday night's atmosphere was about as bad as I've seen in my years attending Sox games. For the first half of the game when we were behind, trouble was heavily in the air. The night was about to turn ugly, until the Sox pulled ahead and that seemed to lighten the dark mood.

It's amazing just how much the behavior of the half-price crowd has degenerated. People, mostly young and definitely drunk, were beginning to act like blood-thirsty animals Monday. I abhor when an opponent's home run is thrown back at the Cell. That's a Cubs thing. But, tonight, if I had grabbed Mauer's homer, I would have thrown that ball back in record time. There was a menacing mob mentality in the bleachers. The profanity and obscene gestures began right from the start, and only increased as the game went along. Thankfully the game took a turn for the good or the ugliness would have proceeded to get far worse.

It's probably time to do away with Monday's half-price nights. Families should stay away from the park on these nights. It's become that bad. There's not nearly enough security on hand for these nights. It's going to get worse before something gets done to make it better. Sad.

shoota
04-19-2005, 03:08 AM
Up in row two, directly ahead of me, there's a Twins fan. Dude's decked out in a jersey and helmet. He's with two girls and a guy who are far less blatantly attired.

The best part was after the game, when a bunch of the fans who'd been throwing peanuts and snapping towels at these people went over to shake their hands and have a good laugh.

It may be violent, and it may be brazen, but its definitely South Side Pride.

Sweet man. I was in your section in the row right in front of the Twinkie fans. Luckily I was off to one side and didn't get hit with debris intended for him and his crew. I actually felt bad for the three girls who were in that group. They didn't talk any smack, give any dirty looks, just tried to huddle together and avoid getting pelted. But thanks to their ******* boyfriends who couldn't just sit there and cheer on their team, they had to suffer.

I thought some guy in a white Illini hat was going to punch the Hrbek helmet guy. They were exchanging some words. Hrbek must have had beer muscles because he wasn't big at all. I don't think there was a moment during the game when he or his buddy didn't have a beer in hand.

I disagree about the hand shaking after the game. Why try to be buddy buddy with a guy who heckled you all game? My guess is only because those Sox fans were feeling good after the win.

That last line of your post is nice. Can I add it to my signature?

TheBull19
04-19-2005, 03:22 AM
Chicago is a more affluent area than Minneapolis or Detroit.

The Sox just need to get rid of Half Price Nights and forget that terrible experiment ever existed.

That's not true, Chicago and Minneapolis/St. Paul both have a median income of roughly $38,500. Also Arizona D'backs offer UD tickets for $1,$4,$6,and $10 - only the seats in the UD behind homeplate are more than $12 - and Phoenix median income is over 41,000 - any bum can go to a game if he collects a few aluminum cans.

Knockoutinthepar
04-19-2005, 03:24 AM

Sure thing (provided you either quote it or link it to its source).

shoota
04-19-2005, 03:29 AM
Sure thing (provided you either quote it or link it to its source).

Thanks. :gulp:Of course I'll quote your sn.

Skippy
04-19-2005, 05:09 AM
I was going to go but I'm kind of glad I didn't. I drink a lot at ballgames but I don't get belligerent, just really hungry and stumbly.

I have to work early today, so I'm glad I don't have my usual Sox Park hangover.

I can't believe I haven't found this site until now. I'm in heaven.

Bobbo35
04-19-2005, 07:26 AM
Ya, I'll tell you what I sat in section 161 row 15 with my buddy. We have season tickets in 141 row 28, but my uncle and my dad split them with my buddy and I so they sat there. Craziness is all I have to say. If your going to act like a fool stay home. There is some definite white trash that make Sox fans look bad. There is no problem with enjoying some beers watching the game and having a good time, but don't act like an A$$, especially when there are kids around. Good Sox win!!!!

mrwag
04-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Something really should be done. I like to kick back a few cold ones as much as anyone does, but when you are there to enjoy the game with your family, you shouldn't have to put up with that crap. I've witnessed enough with my kids at the park. They either need to cut beer off early, vendors need to stop supplying it to the people who are obviously drunk, and/or go to a system where you only get a certain number of beers per game with a writsband or something.

Jurr
04-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Yeah...every time I go to one of those half price games, we either see a bunch of fights, I have to tell some 19 year old punk to watch his mouth, or I have to get in some schmuck's face and tell him to keep his hands off my girl. I've been close to having to scuffle a few times, but luckily nothing has popped off yet. The last thing I would want to do is be thrown out of a game that I'm trying to enjoy. That's why I've learned to spend 30 bucks or so for a ticket on half price night and get some really good tickets for those crowds.

SSN721
04-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Its true, there definitely was an air of violence in the air last night. In sect 324 where Hebrew Hammer and myself were sitting at there were biligerant fans all night that were probably 18-22 yos and definitely quite drunk the entire game. It finally came to a head when a father started to ask them to try to refrain from using profanities every other word because he was there with his 5 yo son. Requests turned into a shouting match, of course it only further provoked the group of young guys to swear even more to keep provoking the father. A guy in St Pattys Day Sox cap practically pushed himself into the brunt of the shouting match to tell the kids to watch thier language. After a few minutes security showed up and after arguing witht he kids for maybe 5 minutes finally escorted them out of the section to the cheers of everyone as they were being obnoxious for the last few innings. Just interesting this happend up in the club level as I have usually seen the fighting pretty much only int he outfield. As much as I like the deal for the half price night it is becoming the way it was stated above, almost at the point you cant go with your family on a half price night. I like the promotion but I would understand if Sox management decided to stop doing it because some idiots cant control themselves and come looking to fight.

converted
04-19-2005, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=Knockoutinthepar]
QUOTE]

Thank you for pointing that out! I saw at least 4 balls get tossed back into the field last night. Even foul balls that Stewart or someone had thrown out to fans. What is with that? If you don't want it, hand it over. My little bro would have loved to take home a game ball. I really didn't enjoy the crowd last night.

itsnotrequired
04-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Something really should be done. I like to kick back a few cold ones as much as anyone does, but when you are there to enjoy the game with your family, you shouldn't have to put up with that crap. I've witnessed enough with my kids at the park. They either need to cut beer off early, vendors need to stop supplying it to the people who are obviously drunk, and/or go to a system where you only get a certain number of beers per game with a writsband or something.

It seems like most of the rowdiness happens at the first half-price game of the season. I went to about four half-price games last year and the first one by far had the most trouble. Just one of those things, I guess.

WhteSox725
04-19-2005, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=FARMEO]

Thank you for pointing that out! I saw at least 4 balls get tossed back into the field last night. Even foul balls that Stewart or someone had thrown out to fans. What is with that? If you don't want it, hand it over. My little bro would have loved to take home a game ball. I really didn't enjoy the crowd last night.

Yeah it was pretty hostile at times. I was lucky to be sitting in a section with no jerks. Lately I only go to half price nights because funds are a bit limited. Are regularly priced games more tame? If so, how much more tame?

mike squires
04-19-2005, 09:41 AM
As long as it's not Sox fans fighting other Sox fans...but I'm sure it happends.

In game two of the playoffs I saw a group of people in the far reaches of the upper deck with a case of beer. How they got it in there I will never know.

Jerko
04-19-2005, 10:30 AM
I avoid Monday and Tuesday night games like the plague. If I do slip up and go, I stay up in the Stadium Club. Don't Cub fans realize that they can go to a local bar and watch their loser team on TV and get hammered for less money? NO, they have to come to the Cell and act like the typical asses that they are. I know they only sold one beer per person in the outfield last year on half price nights, did they do that again? Also, the first one of the year usually IS the rowdiest; i think the year KC started out 11-1 was the 2nd "fan on the field night" which was a Monday. I have as many beers at the game as the next guy, and I usually stay for a couple hours after to boot; if I can control myself these puds should be able to. But, as usual, the few *******s in the crowd are going to ruin things for everyone else. Moron Mondays and Trailer Trash Tuesdays have to go. I have tickets every Saturday and the crowd is NEVER like this.

kittle42
04-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Unfortunately the fights are much less intense and fewer and far between at wrigley. The bleachers at wrigley is the only area that MAY compare however there's much less room on an equally crowded night to throw haymakers and the security has more ground to cover at the cell. Nothing but a bears game can compare to the fights that break out at the cell, funny though how it's never a problem over at soldier's according to the media.

Sadly, you are dead-on. Mondays at the Cell are worse than anything you ever see at Wrigley (well, maybe not the bars after the games). The major reason may be that the drunks in the Wrigley bleachers (well, some of them) don't care much about the game whereas Sox drunks just keep getting angrier.

I go to Wrigley in the gear of the Sox or other teams the Cubs are losing to all the time. I have gotten into much friendly argument, but never anything close to a fight, even if I'm crossing the line a little. Monday at the Cell, there were times I was embarrassed. I was standing in the washroom and two guys were conspiring to clock a Twins fans who was doing nothing other than minding his own business. I had to convince them to leave him alone, and of course got ridiculed for "standing up for" a Twins fan. These rather intoxicated gents looked to be all of 19 or 20, of course.

Every bad sereotype about Sox fans is on display during these Monday night games.

kittle42
04-19-2005, 11:08 AM

This is bull. Why blame the beer when the difference is obviously the clientele on these evenings?

Jerko
04-19-2005, 11:15 AM
This is bull. Why blame the beer when the difference is obviously the clientele on these evenings?

True. If beer sales get cut off, these clowns will just show up even more hammered and be intolerable even earlier. No way to prevent it besides kicking them out immediately. Instead of "cutting them off", throw em out if it gets to that point. It's not like you can't see it coming from a mile away with these turds.

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 11:18 AM

Isnt that weird how, in the Bizarro world just 8 miles north, the fans
go to the games to get smashed and not watch the game?

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 11:23 AM
As long as it's not Sox fans fighting other Sox fans...but I'm sure it happends.

In game two of the playoffs I saw a group of people in the far reaches of the upper deck with a case of beer. How they got it in there I will never know.

There was also a lot of cub fans, in full gear at the game, taunting the Sox Fans. As the reds tied the game, the got much quieter, thank goodness,
but they were getting the Sox fans riled up. Why they come here to instigate things i'll never know ........

BigEdWalsh
04-19-2005, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=converted]

Yeah it was pretty hostile at times. I was lucky to be sitting in a section with no jerks. Lately I only go to half price nights because funds are a bit limited. Are regularly priced games more tame? If so, how much more tame?

Well, like you, where I was sitting (118), everything was cool. Once maybe twice when everybody was standing up to see what was going on, I just ignored it. I prefer to stay oblivious to that kinda crap. I'm there to see a ballgame. And, hey from that standpoint it was great.

bobj4400
04-19-2005, 11:33 AM

Well Said!!

Jerko
04-19-2005, 11:36 AM
I don't know; I've been to the Black Hole, I've been at Arrowhead stadium with a Raider shirt on, and I've never seen as much crap as the half-price crowds bring in. pretty bad. It's embarrassing.

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 11:41 AM
I disagree about the hand shaking after the game. Why try to be buddy buddy with a guy who heckled you all game? My guess is only because those Sox fans were feeling good after the win.

I was in your section too fellas, I did see the guy in the Twinks helmet
(the old school helmet, kind of cool) I got the business
from Twink fans in the Metrodome last weekend when I was there, got
pelted with peanuts for awhile, but that group also hi-fived me and shook
my hand on the way past them ........

daveeym
04-19-2005, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=WhteSox725]

Well, like you, where I was sitting (118), everything was cool. Once maybe twice when everybody was standing up to see what was going on, I just ignored it. I prefer to stay oblivious to that kinda crap. I'm there to see a ballgame. And, hey from that standpoint it was great. Hey I was in 118 until the third and then went and camped out on the concourse. You see the guy with the #69 sox jersey with the name "cubs suck" on it? Took a picture of that, I'll have to upload it when i get a chance.

MushMouth
04-19-2005, 11:52 AM
I thought it was pretty clear that Sox fans DO NOT throw back HR's under any circumstances. GIVE THE BALL TO A KID!

Goin to the game tonight, hopefully I don't have to see any of that nonsense. Or I may have to kick some ***! :smile:

BigEdWalsh
04-19-2005, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=BigEdWalsh] Hey I was in 118 until the third and then went and camped out on the concourse. You see the guy with the #69 sox jersey with the name "cubs suck" on it? Took a picture of that, I'll have to upload it when i get a chance.

LOL!
Yeah, I did, in fact I was sitting pretty close to him.

cheeses_h_rice
04-19-2005, 11:59 AM
OK, then, so we're all in agreement that something needs to be done about the "Fred Durst Convention" atmosphere that occasionally befouls our fair park?

Brooks, you listening?

LVSoxFan
04-19-2005, 12:03 PM
To answer somebody's question: no you don't see this kind of behavior, say, on weekend or regular games.

As the joke goes with us: Half-priced Monday = Fight Club. First rule about half-priced Mondays? Do NOT talk about half-priced Mondays!

I don't mind the trash-talking if there's a Twins fan or whatever--when I went to Cubs/Sox at Wrigley trust me, we were trash talking a storm to the fans around us--until we lost, LOL. But that's all in good fun.

When it gets physical, though, that's beyond the line. Nobody deserves to get hurt because they like some other team, or were loyal enough to go to a visitor's park to see their guys.

One of the reasons you don't see a lot of fights at Cubs games, IMO, is because it's too tightly packed. There's not a huge councourse to roam around freely on, like at the Cell. So if you're a pack of 20-something drunken morons, you can literally roam around the park all night looking for trouble. At Wrigley you can't get from the bleachers to anywhere else; in the stands they don't let you stand in the aisles.

But I would agree that a lot of them are already drunk before they get to the park and that's where they go over the edge, which explains all the fights.

I don't know what the solution is, though.

kittle42
04-19-2005, 12:06 PM
When it gets physical, though, that's beyond the line. Nobody deserves to get hurt because they like some other team, or were loyal enough to go to a visitor's park to see their guys.

But I would agree that a lot of them are already drunk before they get to the park and that's where they go over the edge, which explains all the fights.

I don't know what the solution is, though.

An IQ requirement for entry?

PatK
04-19-2005, 12:11 PM

The wristband thing is a great idea that SHOULD be looked at.

robiwho
04-19-2005, 12:14 PM
I have to admit I had kind of forgotten about the crowd on Mondays. We were in section 146 and had no problems ... after security finally came and confiscated the airhorn from the yahoos a few rows behind us. There were a lot of young guys in our section, but they didn't seem to be drinking too much and were actually a lot of fun because they were so pumped up. It felt like a playoff game.

There were a couple of Twinkies talking a lot of smack before the game. I was a little worried about a fight starting there, but they slinked away after Crede's homer.

I just checked my calendar and this was the only Monday night we had in our Ozzie plan -- I think I may keep it that way!

Go Sox!

chisoxmike
04-19-2005, 12:20 PM
I have to admit I had kind of forgotten about the crowd on Mondays. We were in section 146 and had no problems ... after security finally came and confiscated the airhorn from the yahoos a few rows behind us. There were a lot of young guys in our section, but they didn't seem to be drinking too much and were actually a lot of fun because they were so pumped up. It felt like a playoff game.

There were a couple of Twinkies talking a lot of smack before the game. I was a little worried about a fight starting there, but they slinked away after Crede's homer.

I just checked my calendar and this was the only Monday night we had in our Ozzie plan -- I think I may keep it that way!

Go Sox!

Yeah, I was in 146 and it was a lot of fun! Everyone around us was really into the game, standing, cheering, heckling Torri Hunter. People are going to drink at games, there isn't anyway around it people. I, like most of you have a few at a game...its too damn expensive to go there and want to get hammered. You can 2 six packs for the price of 2 beers there, its a crime.

Anyway... I thought the overall crowd was pretty good, I didnt see any problems, and I thought everyone was really into the game, and really wanted the Sox to pull this one out.I liked how everyone stood when the Twins were done to their last stike in the 8th, and pretty much everyone was up for the whole 9th inning.

champagne030
04-19-2005, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=BigEdWalsh] Hey I was in 118 until the third and then went and camped out on the concourse. You see the guy with the #69 sox jersey with the name "cubs suck" on it? Took a picture of that, I'll have to upload it when i get a chance.

i'm down with that idea. i want the flubs to lose as much as anyone, but you're at sox park....it isn't about them until we play them.....i went to the urinal last year when they played the cardinals and ripped on a fan for wearing a "sox sux" jersey. wear your sox stuff and wear it proud.....don't give any acknowledgment (sp?) to the other team in town......

jdm2662
04-19-2005, 12:41 PM
My brother was at the game and mentioned the outfield cutting off beer sales in the sixth inning. He said there was quite a bit of trash through out the entire park, with the average age of about 22. I went to a Monday game in June last year and sat in RF. There were no problems. The problems mainly seem to occur on April or May games when the weather was insanely warm, ala last night. It was the same type of night in 2003 only there was a Cubs game that afternoon. It really sucks that the amount of trash that go out for half price nights, but it's hard to deny them if they have a ticket. Didn't the Sox want to do away with half price nights?
________
Masturbation solo (http://www.****tube.com/categories/760/solo/videos/1)

Knockoutinthepar
04-19-2005, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=daveeym]

wear your sox stuff and wear it proud.....don't give any acknowledgment (sp?) to the other team in town......

Despising the Cubs is part of our identity. What would World War II be without people hating on Nazis?

DaleJRFan
04-19-2005, 12:59 PM

He was a Cubs fan. I saw the replay on TV and they were both (yea, there were two of them) wearing Cubs jerseys. Why do Cubs fans go to Sox games and act like jackasses? I'm not going to waste my money and go to a Cubs game. Its just stupid.

robiwho
04-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I was in 146 and it was a lot of fun! Everyone around us was really into the game, standing, cheering, heckling Torri Hunter. People are going to drink at games, there isn't anyway around it people. I, like most of you have a few at a game...its too damn expensive to go there and want to get hammered. You can 2 six packs for the price of 2 beers there, its a crime.

We were in row 28; where were you? We need to develop a way to spot fellow WSIers! :smile:

Max Power
04-19-2005, 01:13 PM

Go Sox!

I was wondering what happened to the airhorn after like the 2nd inning. I was in 145 and the people around me were cool and into the game. But the bleachers looked bad, seemed like people were always standing up for some kind of disturbance.
I usually try to get to a lot of Monday games, but the crowds are really starting to bother me. Way too many people come just looking for trouble. I mean if you go to a Sox game (not against the Cubs) wearing a Cubs jersey and a Cubs hat, what the hell are you there for? Let's face it, you're there looking for a fight... and if you get your ass kicked I really don't feel sorry for you. On the rare occasion that I go to a Cubs game I don't wear my Sox stuff.
I don't want half price Monday's to end, but they need to change things. Like only half price if you buy your tickets in advance. Or Mondays are full price but you get a voucher for a free game. I don't know, but I hate that we had a great win last night and here we are *again* talking about trouble at the game.

chisoxmike
04-19-2005, 01:17 PM
We were in row 28; where were you? We need to develop a way to spot fellow WSIers! :smile:

row 26, we probably high fived!!!

robiwho
04-19-2005, 01:23 PM
row 26, i think we high fived!!!

I was definitely high fiving everyone last night! Were you by any chance the ... um ... really excited guy in row 26?

(Looks like we're practically neighbors in real life as well as at Sox games. Nice to know the Sox are represented in LGP!)

chisoxmike
04-19-2005, 01:25 PM
I was definitely high fiving everyone last night! Were you by any chance the ... um ... really excited guy in row 26?

(Looks like we're practically neighbors in real life as well as at Sox games. Nice to know the Sox are represented in LGP!)

Probably, I have a deep hatred for the Twins, I love seeing the Sox crush them. I think I'm one of four Sox fans in LGP, a person down the street from me hangs a 'W" flag whenever the Cubs win a game.

robiwho
04-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Probably, I have a deep hatred for the Twins, I love seeing the Sox crush them. I think I'm one of four Sox fans in LGP, a person down the street from me hangs a 'W" flag whenever the Cubs win a game.

If you're who I think you are, you definitely made my night by almost single-handedly getting our section reved up!

I seem to know a lot of Sox fans in Riverside, which is very cool.

chisoxmike
04-19-2005, 01:31 PM
If you're who I think you are, you definitely made my night by almost single-handedly getting our section reved up!

I seem to know a lot of Sox fans in Riverside, which is very cool.

I do what I can...
I had the 83 Sox hat, and grey white Sox t-shirt, a I was there with another friend of mine, and toward the end of the game a girl that is a friend of mine came over and sat by us.

kittle545feet
04-19-2005, 01:31 PM
"...great win last night and here we are *again* talking about trouble at the game." Yep, everybody on this board is talking about it. I can't believe the same old people are still banging this drum! Let it go people. This is old news and something that troubles only the public image Sox fans. I could give two craps about how many fights there are or what is the cause of the fights. I sit and watch the game with my kids and let the others be jerks if they want to be. It is a great life lesson for your kids on how not to act in public. Crowds have been like this since as far back as I can remember, and I am talking about the old park too in the late 70's. It's just that now in this day and age of the PC garbage, we have to be told constantly what to think, say, and act. Plus, you have to be told now that your actions are inappropriate. Which I am sure some do-gooder, self-righteous, jerk will obviously do concerning this post. :whiner:

robiwho
04-19-2005, 01:36 PM
I had the 83 Sox hat, and grey white Sox t-shirt, a I was there with another friend of mine, and toward the end of the game a girl that is a friend of mine came over and sat by us.

That was you! Excellent! I was at the opposite end of row 28 -- I'm pretty short with long reddish-blond hair. My brother was sitting next to me in his (I forget which) vintage hat & jersey. Oh, and I'm a girl...kind of need to specify that on this board!

I'll definitely sit near you at any game -- you were a blast!

maurice
04-19-2005, 01:37 PM
As Monday games go, this game was relatively peaceful. I had a good time with a buddy in Sec. 103. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I sat in the bleachers or brought kids, but you need to take that into account when you attend a Monday game.

That said, security's complete indifference to the fight down the 1B line was obscene. Security also should be more proactive by keeping a presence near the loudmouths in cub or twin gear. IMHO, things could be quelled quite a bit by a few extra visits by security warning folks to watch the obscenitites, to sit down during play, and to refrain from throwing anything onto the field.

chisoxmike
04-19-2005, 01:39 PM
That was you! Excellent! I was at the opposite end of row 28 -- I'm pretty short with long reddish-blond hair. My brother was sitting next to me in his (I forget which) vintage hat & jersey. Oh, and I'm a girl...kind of need to specify that on this board!

I'll definitely sit near you at any game -- you were a blast!

Anytime, the guys in back of you were fun too, this was too good of a game not to be pumped!

robiwho
04-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Anytime, the guys in back of you were fun too, this was too good of a game not to be pumped!

They were great. We spent a lot of time talking to them.

daveeym
04-19-2005, 02:01 PM
"...great win last night and here we are *again* talking about trouble at the game." Yep, everybody on this board is talking about it. I can't believe the same old people are still banging this drum! Let it go people. This is old news and something that troubles only the public image Sox fans. I could give two craps about how many fights there are or what is the cause of the fights. I sit and watch the game with my kids and let the others be jerks if they want to be. It is a great life lesson for your kids on how not to act in public. Crowds have been like this since as far back as I can remember, and I am talking about the old park too in the late 70's. It's just that now in this day and age of the PC garbage, we have to be told constantly what to think, say, and act. Plus, you have to be told now that your actions are inappropriate. Which I am sure some do-gooder, self-righteous, jerk will obviously do concerning this post. :whiner::roflmao: :neener: :rolleyes:

Mohoney
04-19-2005, 02:33 PM
What I'm wondering is why Twins fans act so obnoxious when THEY'RE THE VISITORS!

I never saw Sox fans acting like this when I was in Comerica/Tiger Stadium, Miller Park/County Stadium, Kaufmann, The Jake, or Yankee Stadium, and I'm willing to bet that we don't pull this kind of crap when we're in the Metrodome. Furthermore, I never see Orioles, Indians, Yankees, Royals, Blue Jays, etc. fans acting this way. It always seems to be just Twins, Red Sox, and Cubs fans that act like turds.

There's a right way to root for your team when you're in a visiting park. No signs meant to purposely antagonize the home crowd, no sarcastic/inflammatory responses to the heckling that YOU WILL UNDOUBTEDLY RECEIVE, no rubbing it in during the game if you take the lead or after the game if you win it, and no getting ripped out of your mind and starting fights.

Just watch the damn game.

batmanZoSo
04-19-2005, 03:28 PM

Having invested the $$$ in a Sham-ME* jersey, I'm guessing this jackass is some Flubbie-loving knob who bought the Twins hat and made the Toriiiii sign just to rile up Sox fans. It reminds me of the biggest Flubfan jerk that I ever saw at Comiskey, rooting on the Yankees a few years ago while wearing his Flubbie floppy and Sosa jersey; I seriously wanted to grab the guy and ask him why the hell he was there.

Maybe some fights are necessary on Monday nights after all. If you go to an enemy park acting like that, expect to get your ### kicked.

chisoxfan64
04-19-2005, 03:41 PM

Well I don`t think he will be hanging it much this year.

shaunburnette
04-19-2005, 03:46 PM

1st Beer - 1st out 1st inning
2nd Beer - Hopefully before strike 3
3rd Beer - 2nd out
4th Beer - Between 1st and 2nd innings, after 1st bathroom break
5th Beer - Spilled on the guy in front of me
6th Beer - 2nd inning (slowing down now)
7th Beer - :?:
8th Beer - :tongue:

wait... im on the wrong website, this isnt chicago cubs interactive

p.s. :gulp:

cheeses_h_rice
04-19-2005, 03:51 PM
1st Beer - 1st out 1st inning
2nd Beer - Hopefully before strike 3
3rd Beer - 2nd out
4th Beer - Between 1st and 2nd innings, after 1st bathroom break
5th Beer - Spilled on the guy in front of me
6th Beer - 2nd inning (slowing down now)
7th Beer - :?:
8th Beer - :tongue:

wait... im on the wrong website, this isnt chicago cubs interactive

p.s. :gulp:

I know a guy I used to work with -- one of those "nominal" Flubs fans who goes there to drink and scope chicks -- and he said one game he and his "buddies" each drank a 16-oz. Old Style every half inning at a day game at Wrigley once. They spent something like $120 each on beers including tips.

The guy was a pretty hardcore beerdrinker, so I was inclined to believe him.

Unreal.

TaylorStSox
04-19-2005, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=champagne030]

Despising the Cubs is part of our identity. What would World War II be without people hating on Nazis?

That quote right there is the only thing that makes me sick to be a Sox fan. It's not a class war. It's freakin baseball. :rolleyes:

chisox2005
04-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Biggest moron of the night wasn't drunk, or atleast didn't look it. Some Crubbies fan decked out in his gear threw the first Everett homerun ball back on the field. :angry:

kittle42
04-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Maybe some fights are necessary on Monday nights after all. If you go to an enemy park acting like that, expect to get your ### kicked.

I've been doing it for years at Wrigley and have never had a finger laid on me.

itsnotrequired
04-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Aw, what the hell...

:tomatoaward

Knockoutinthepar
04-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Oh my God! We won! Who to thank? Well, beer, of course! You've been there, in my hand or in my belly, from day one. And thank you ever insolent Twinkies--nothing but a loss could make you blush.

SouthSide4Life
04-19-2005, 08:27 PM
isn't a ball game supposed to be a family outing? my section(158) was full of goons

FJA
04-19-2005, 10:23 PM
There are a lot of good Sox fans who are not making trouble, and who would not be able to go to games often but for half-price nights. College students, i.e., future full-price ticket holders, are a big part of this group. Any time you're attracting college students, you're going to attract a few of the idiots.

The option is this: You either let the idiots and Flub Fans ruin it for everyone and risk having some fans fall off because they can no longer afford going to games, or you put up with the idiots and make sure security is doing its job.

IMO, as long as regularly-priced tickets are going to remain as ridiculously expensive as they are, you have to have half-price nights to maintain a younger fan base, many of whom do not have die-hard allegiences and who will otherwise flock north where all their friends live. As a 24-year old, I can speak from experience that it is hard to gather friends who will spend what little money they make on full-price tickets. Those who don't necessarily have a long-held rooting interest would rather save their money for the once or twice a year Cub game where they will see dozens of their friends.

I frankly don't think we'd be talking about this at all if baseball tickets were at such a price that the majority of families could afford more than a game or two a year. Sometime around the time my family added a third child, we stopped going to Sox games regularly, and I know my family's situation is not unique. You combine this with the rise of the Flubs as a media sensation around the same time and, by and large, you have a generation of young people who don't care one way or the other about missing Sox games. Half-price days, for better or worse, work to some extent to fix this, and knowing a few people who hadn't previously attended Sox games who wanted to come back after attending a half-price game, I can't say it's a bad solution.

Brian26
04-19-2005, 10:26 PM
I watched the game on TV and I remember at some point, I think in the later innings, some yahoo held up a sign that said "Drink Beer!". Idiot...

I saw that too....down the firstbase line. I think he was over in Wilkes' section (I think I even saw Wilkes....a foul ball landed right by him).

halfpricemonday
04-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Strange that after all the Sox games I've seen/listened to/followed on the web in my time here in Chicago, this is the post that inspired me to stop lurking and actually register. :smile: (hence the quick choice of username)

Anyways, even on a grad student salary, I try to make it to as many Sox games as possible, but I still try to be selective about my seats. Every time I've sprung for the lower level seats, I'm usually pretty lucky with the surrounding crowd. That's why on a 1/2 price Monday, I'll go ahead and spring for some nicer seats. I was in 117 yesterday and even though I saw "Git-R-Done" guy about a dozen times, I wasn't aware of any problems throughout the night, even when a couple of Twins fans ended up with the foul ball that landed a few feet on my left. I heard a couple of Sox fans talking about fights on the concourse, but no trouble in my section.

However, on a regular price day, I have to settle for the bleachers or the right-field seats. I've seen a few fights, but it's usually been a pretty well behaved crowd when I've gone during the week.

StockdaleForVeep
04-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Who honestly can afford to get drunk off beer at a ball game anyway?

SouthSide4Life
04-19-2005, 11:10 PM
i overheard a group of high school kids sayin " oh we should get trashed every half price day then go to the game!" how stupid can these people get? its about B A S E B A L L

Jerko
04-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Who honestly can afford to get drunk off beer at a ball game anyway?

It doesn't take much for some people. :gulp: :gulp: and it's all over.

FJA
04-19-2005, 11:29 PM
i overheard a group of high school kids sayin " oh we should get trashed every half price day then go to the game!" how stupid can these people get? its about B A S E B A L L

I agree with you in principle, but I've been to a lot of ballparks and not one has had 40,000 or even 20,000 completely sober people who care passionately about the action on the field. In fact, I've been to very few sporting events where there weren't a fair amount of drunks, and that's not to say it's a good thing, but it's going to happen. Baseball is worse because of what it involves - a hot summer or nice spring night, grilled food ... and the inevitable few beers. Some people go beyond a few and short of banning beer sales or imposing draconian regulations that might keep more than a few people at home watching the game with a six pack, I don't think you're going to prevent it. There will always be some people who come to the game as if it were a beer garden. This doesn't have to be a major problem if security is doing its job and vendors are held responsible for serving people who obviously should be finished drinking.

WikdChiSoxFan
04-19-2005, 11:33 PM
A new spin on half price night:

How bout half price to those who were two pieces of sox fan stuff...whether it me a necklace of regular white socks tied around the neck, or a vintage '83 jersey...and people wearing any other teams apparel...too bad

this may keep some of the idiots out, and let the fans enjoy a good game of which they otherwise could not afford.

ChiSoxGirl
04-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Biggest moron of the night wasn't drunk, or atleast didn't look it. Some Crubbies fan decked out in his gear threw the first Everett homerun ball back on the field. :angry:

I saw that guy pitch that ball back onto the field when I was watching the game at home and was like, "What a loser! That Cub fan just threw the ball back onto the field." Comiskey is NOT Wrigley, so leave all of their stupid "traditions" at The Shrine- that includes throwing homerun balls back onto the field and most crucially, starting the wave! Some idiot tried to start the wave at Buehrle's gem on Saturday and it totally failed! :wink: The wave is not, nor has it ever *been* something Sox fans do- we're too preoccupied with *gasp!* The Game!!! :tongue:

Why Cub fans feel the need to infiltrate our ballpark when their team isn't the opponent is beyond me, anyway!

ChiSoxGirl
04-19-2005, 11:39 PM
I saw that too....down the firstbase line. I think he was over in Wilkes' section (I think I even saw Wilkes....a foul ball landed right by him).

I saw it, too...along the first baseline. Idiot. Is that all his creative little mind could think of when making a sign... "Drink Beer?" Some of these people kill me. :tongue:

sld7c
04-20-2005, 12:45 AM

That Cubs fans are really starting to hate the Sox more. If they just ignore us that's kind of insulting.

By the way who's to say getting a good buzz going isn't completely compatible with enjoying baseball? Getting smashed isn't a good idea, but I find I enjoy baseball much more after a few drinks.

mealfred13
04-20-2005, 12:50 AM

How bout half price to those who were two pieces of sox fan stuff...whether it me a necklace of regular white socks tied around the neck, or a vintage '83 jersey...and people wearing any other teams apparel...too bad

this may keep some of the idiots out, and let the fans enjoy a good game of which they otherwise could not afford.

Hell I'd like to see a more thorough screening process.

-"Who is the White Sox Bullpen Catcher?"

Next tuesday:

-"What is the first name of 'Hawk' Harrelson?"

Not too difficult, but hard enough to stump the Cubs fans, especially if they're drunk already.

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 12:57 AM

Or to take that up a notch, half price to anyone wearing a black Sox shirt. Imagine a full house of black shirts, much like all these red teams with their sea of red crowds...only, you know, much better. That would be so intimidating. I could see Hunter *****ing himself in September.

whitesoxwilkes
04-20-2005, 01:27 PM

Yeah, he was in the section where my weekend seats are.

I was in 142 for Monday's game though and saw that knucklehead.

lostletters
04-25-2005, 04:15 AM
I was at the monday game. I have been to my share of Half Price games, and in comparison that one was rather tame. I mean the crowd was charged and there was alot of back and forth with some twins fans that were at the park, but no brawls. (I was in section 160 BTW).

Last year it was not to bad either, save for one game, which was plain awful. There was fights breaking out all over the place, and I left early. It was just far to rowdy.

I think a big problem is the fact there is no unified system for checking IDs. I think the wristband idea should be investigated. I have a feeling there is to much underage drinking.

Personally I never drink alcohol at the park. The beer is to expensive ($5.50 is to high for Guiness or other European Beers, and absolutely insane for Miller). Plus I go to the ball game to enjoy the ball game, not to get smashed.

Papas
04-25-2005, 04:21 AM
Not old enough to drink (though wouldnt if I was) but I dont buy anything at the park anyway. With the $15 to $30 tickets and $17 parking: for a student/part time ride op i'd prefer to save up for tuition than load up at the Cell ;).

If it becomes a issue for security and affect the safety of the guests, then it's pretty obvious they'd have to cut it off though.