PDA

View Full Version : New natural rivals...

DoggPhood
04-18-2005, 10:45 PM
During interleague, every team seems to have a team they play every year in a home and home series. Sox/Cubs, Yanks/Mets, A's/Giants, Expos/Jays...

but the Expos are now the Nationals.

So, shouldn't the Orioles and Nationals play? They aren't this year. But I hope they do next year.

wsoxfan
04-18-2005, 11:00 PM
that would be a good rivalry, especially since Peter Angelos didn't even want the expos moving there in the first place...

MrRoboto83
04-18-2005, 11:45 PM
Don't forget that serious Florida/Tampa Bay series

SOX ADDICT '73
04-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Don't forget that serious Florida/Tampa Bay series
I was at ProPlayer Stadium for one of those games 2 summers ago. It was right when the Marlins had started to turn their season around, it was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, and a game against an inter-state team (if not "rival"). Of the 40,000+ seats in that stadium, less than 9,000 were filled! That was the most orange I had seen in a sports arena until this year's Illini basketball season.

It was funny to watch in the post-season later that year as all the fair-weather Marlins fans packed the place against the Giants, sCrUBBIES, and Yanks!

Baby Fisk
04-19-2005, 07:43 AM
The Nationals inherited the Expos' 2005 schedule and MLB decided not to change it for this season. This means that Washington plays Toronto, which isn't a bad rivalry to stoke. However, in future seasons the Nats and O's will meet in interleague play, while the Black Jays will play the Phillies & Braves, who are currently slotted as the O's interleague "rivals" during the "natural rivalries" weekends. That's a neat coincidence as Atlanta and Philly are the two teams the Jays defeated in the World Series, all those years ago...