PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Wood chokes again

spawn
04-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Cubs have a 5-1 lead, and Wood blows it. He gives up two more homers (both to Adam Dunn) while getting a no-decision.

Cubs/Reds recap (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20050418_CHC@CIN)

Edit: Just realized I put this in the wrong section. I'll say it:

"Dude, What's the Score?!"

Whitesox029
04-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Incidentally it was originally a 5-0 lead according to Hawk.

Dub25
04-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Incidentally it was originally a 5-0 lead according to Hawk.

Actually Hawk was wrong it was 4-0,4-1, then 5-1. But hey this was another Kerry Cooperstown performance.

TornLabrum
04-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Ah, yes, Kerry Wood, Messiah #38 in a series. The Messiah who has never won more games in a season than Danny Wright, but who gets column feet more space any given week than Mark Buehrle.

But the Chicago media isn't pro-Cubs/anti-Sox....

cheeses_h_rice
04-18-2005, 10:22 PM
From ESPN's recap:

Wood was hampered in spring training by a sore shoulder and isn't yet back in form. He got a little closer on Monday, but remained winless in three starts with a 6.38 earned run average.

"I'm pleased with way I threw the ball, obviously not pleased with the results," said Wood, who gave up eight hits in six innings. "I thought I had decent command, and my slider was better than it has been this year. Overall, it was probably the best I've thrown. Unfortunately it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to."

Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt, Carrie.

Dub25
04-18-2005, 10:29 PM
Jose threw 102 pitches in 4 and 2/3 tonight. Tomorrow's headlines will praise his efforts along with a red carpet from here to Cooperstown.

SoxSpeed22
04-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Cubs have a 5-1 lead, and Wood blows it. He gives up two more homers (both to Adam Dunn) while getting a no-decision.

Cubs/Reds recap (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20050418_CHC@CIN)

Edit: Just realized I put this in the wrong section. I'll say it:

"Dude, What's the Score?!"I've learned to believe that if the game is tied late, you can bank on them losing with this team. That puts more pressure on the starters, they cannot win if their starters are not amazing. The offense checked out early and Wood couldn't hold the lead. That's that.

SOXPHILE
04-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Step right up everybody, place your bets here. Who will be the first person in the media, be it T.V., sports talk radio, or our two fair & balanced newspaper's sports columnists to say tommorrow that....Kerry Wood pitched a pretty good game, he's looking better & better, and gosh darn it, a couple of bad calls, tough breaks, and 1 or 3 unlucky pitches by the bullpen are what cost the Cubs the game. :rolleyes:

Palehose Pete
04-19-2005, 12:19 AM
This is becoming a joke in and of itself. Wood certainly teased all the Cubs fans by flashing a little of the brilliance that everyone routinely expected of him, but now he's no better than a number three guy. For whatever reason, and I'm sick of the speculation as to the cause of his averaging out, he's just not ace material and that news should be shouted from the highest mountain top.

maurice
04-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Handed big lead and blows it . . . but his chronic failure to win 15+ games is not his fault.

chisoxfan64
04-19-2005, 11:36 AM
I guess its time to get rid of my Kerry Wood rookie card.
I`m sick of all the chances this guy has got. All he has done is shown potential and smashed a boom box. If he was on the Sox he would have been run out of town a long time ago.

voodoochile
04-19-2005, 11:55 AM
I guess its time to get rid of my Kerry Wood rookie card.
I`m sick of all the chances this guy has got. All he has done is shown potential and smashed a boom box. If he was on the Sox he would have been run out of town a long time ago.

Don't do that, heck the value will go up simply for his one stunning moment when he struck out 21 guys or whatever. It will still be worth a fortune some day.

Someone should tell balsa that moral victories and being "happy with the way you threw the ball" are concepts best left in Arizona.

Flight #24
04-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Don't do that, heck the value will go up simply for his one stunning moment when he struck out 21 guys or whatever. It will still be worth a fortune some day.

Someone should tell KW that moral victories and being "happy with the way you threw the ball" are concepts best left in Arizona.

C'mon VC, you know better. KW = Kenny Williams!:cool:

voodoochile
04-19-2005, 11:58 AM
C'mon VC, you know better. KW = Kenny Williams!:cool:

whoops... I'll fix it...:(:

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 12:07 PM
From ESPN's recap:

ESPN Actually wrote that GARBAGE???? They just love the cubs dont they?