PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie feels bad

cburns
04-18-2005, 10:09 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050418soxguillen,1,3723273.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

So now Ozzie feels bad about his comments with Frank. Good, Frank didn't deserve being called out for no reason.

TornLabrum
04-18-2005, 10:18 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050418soxguillen,1,3723273.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

So now Ozzie feels bad about his comments with Frank. Good, Frank didn't deserve being called out for no reason.

Look...Ozzie didn't call out Frank at all. He was comparing the clubhouse atmosphere, noting that Frank was getting an opportunity by being here now to see how it had changed.

Again, it's amazing how people hold those who are speaking their second language under a microscope and parsing every damned sentence. I'll try once again to translate what Ozzie was saying:

"I'm glad Frank is here now to see how the clubhouse atmosphere has changed. This gives him an opportunity to see how things have changed compared to the way they've been the past few years he's been here."

Yes, I've heard Ozzie speak on many occasions (several times within a few feet of him at WCSF luncheons). He doesn't express himself in English the same as a person might who has had formal instruction in English for twelve or more years.

Interestingly enough when KW was on MJ&H's show today, he talked to Ozzie, who explained to him what he meant, and he said that Ozzie felt very bad that it was interpreted by the mediots the way it was. He also said he talked to Frank who said he understood and that everyone was on the same page. He further said that Ozzie would be talking with him, too.

So once again, much ado about nothing, fanned by the same mediots who never have anything good to say about the Sox, Thomas, or Guillen.

SouthBendSox
04-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Frank Thomas

the most underappreciated superstar of the last 25 years

CurseoftheGoat63
04-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Ozzie still needs to close his mouth for a little while and be more concerned about his team.

mealfred13
04-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Speaking of which, they're showing a little interview with Frank and with Ozzie regarding those printed comments. Here are some highlights which should clear things up:

Frank:

-When he was younger, he did play selfishly sometimes because he was interested in looking at his stats, trying to make himself improve. Not because he wanted to be better than everyone else, but to motivate himself to do better.

-Known Ozzie for a long time, and knows he wasn't calling him out. He understands Ozzie, and other people take his comments the wrong way, but Frank is used to it.

Ozzie:

-He's been the only person to protect Frank for "20 years" when everyone else was down on him.

-Angry that the media takes his comments out of context and fails to mention the other 6 players he mentioned in the comments printed in the media, besides Frank.

-Sick of the soap opera that the media tries to perpetuate.

-Always protects his players.

They also talked and cleared things up before the game today according to CSN.

Basically, it's another case of people misquoting/misunderstanding Ozzie and trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

Viva Medias B's
04-18-2005, 10:26 PM
The media took Ozzie's comments out of context and successfully made a controversy out of them.

spawn
04-18-2005, 10:31 PM
The media took Ozzie's comments out of context and successfully made a controversy out of them.
Yep...I had a Cub fan ask me today about this situation, and I snapped. Hea wasn't being an ass, but I'm so sick of this crap. Why doesn't anyone berate Dusty Baker for not getting on his players (Zambrano, Wood, Hawkins) when they let their emotions get the best of them and get kicked out of games? Instead, we get a non-issue blown completely out of proportion for a team that is actually winning games!!! UNBELIEVEABLE!:angry:

TornLabrum
04-18-2005, 10:32 PM

And I'm willing to be that the mediots will stand by their interpretations of what Ozzie said. And if those who didn't hear the tape of his comments (as I did) will probably believe them when they stop just short of calling Ozzie a liar.

MRKARNO
04-18-2005, 10:37 PM
This is the reason we can't take anything Ozzie says so seriously:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=3921

"It cost me $55 to fill up my tank today. Fifty-five dollars! In Venezuela, $55 will pay for your gas for a year."
--White Sox manager and Venezuela native Ozzie Guillen, on gas prices (Cleveland Plain Dealer)

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=3945

"I'm from Latin America. The first time I signed, they signed me for like $1,000. What can I buy with $1,000 in Venezuela? Nothing."
--Guillen, who last week said 55 dollars could buy gas for a year in Venezuela

He's not a man who is careful with his words, which is why we cant take them very seriously. The media does not seem to understand this. What he says and what he means are often very different from one another. Now if he keeps repeating something, then you need to be worried, but the above example just shows how Ozzie's words have to be taken with a grain of salt.

mealfred13
04-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Hahhaha, love the Ozzie quotes.

SoxFan48
04-18-2005, 10:45 PM
He's not a man who is careful with his words, which is why we cant take them very seriously. The media does not seem to understand this. What he says and what he means are often very different from one another. Now if he keeps repeating something, then you need to be worried, but the above example just shows how Ozzie's words have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Yeah, but it makes for great media and that is what the press cares about.

jdm2662
04-18-2005, 10:53 PM
I'm glad this is cleared up. I can't wait for Frank to get back in the lineup.
________
YAMAHA DRAGSTAR 650 SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_DragStar_650)

FoulTerritory
04-18-2005, 11:59 PM
I know the east-coast bias has been discussed ad nauseum, but even more annoying than the Red Sox/Yankees excessive coverage, is that the media is getting worse and worse with teh soap opera stuff. I moved to Philadelphia about a year ago, and now listen to a lot of national sports radio shows and read national publications like the USA Today and SI because I can't listen to Chicago radio, nor get Chicago publications/papers. One thing I've been noticing about the national media is that they keep getting worse and worse with this melodramatic soap opera stuff. Today, I swear that Dan Patrick talked for 2 straight hours about whether Steinbrenner was right to call out the yankees. Then I come home from work and see that the only mention of the White Sox online at ESPN.com is that "Frank is mad" stuff, and I get online and look at the Trib and ST, and most of it is about that drama. Its getting to the point where is kindof bordering on the bizarre that they (the media) spend so much time with such stories. I mean, there are about 30 baseball teams playing on any given night, each with their own set of great plays, bad plays, debate decisions etc. taking place. With all that baseball happening, and the media not really talking at all about baseball . . . just soap operas . . . well, like I said, its like they can't even think about writing or talking about the actual games anymore. Its like some sort of bizarre addiction and they don't even notice how disgusting, sensationalist, and most importantly, BORING, all this drama talk is.

batmanZoSo
04-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Look...Ozzie didn't call out Frank at all. He was comparing the clubhouse atmosphere, noting that Frank was getting an opportunity by being here now to see how it had changed.

Again, it's amazing how people hold those who are speaking their second language under a microscope and parsing every damned sentence. I'll try once again to translate what Ozzie was saying:

"I'm glad Frank is here now to see how the clubhouse atmosphere has changed. This gives him an opportunity to see how things have changed compared to the way they've been the past few years he's been here."

Yes, I've heard Ozzie speak on many occasions (several times within a few feet of him at WCSF luncheons). He doesn't express himself in English the same as a person might who has had formal instruction in English for twelve or more years.

Interestingly enough when KW was on MJ&H's show today, he talked to Ozzie, who explained to him what he meant, and he said that Ozzie felt very bad that it was interpreted by the mediots the way it was. He also said he talked to Frank who said he understood and that everyone was on the same page. He further said that Ozzie would be talking with him, too.

So once again, much ado about nothing, fanned by the same mediots who never have anything good to say about the Sox, Thomas, or Guillen.

I didn't see anything too bad about what he said because I know you gotta give him a break with the language thing. If you take out the "...he's been here" part, I think there's no discussion.

Ol' No. 2
04-19-2005, 09:20 AM
He's not a man who is careful with his words, which is why we cant take them very seriously. The media does not seem to understand this. What he says and what he means are often very different from one another. Now if he keeps repeating something, then you need to be worried, but the above example just shows how Ozzie's words have to be taken with a grain of salt.The media understands perfectly well. It's just easier taking one of Ozzie's comments out of context and creating a controversy than going out and finding a REAL story.

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 12:25 PM

YES! Dan Jiggetts alluded to this during that bogus 3 man panel
on Comcast the other day.
Everyone wanted to talk about how he was terrible in the clubhouse,
selfish at bat, bad teammate, which I know is all BS, Im thinking
is this show for real? Its the Chicago Media not very happy that
the cubs arent doing well and trying to drag the SOX down .........