PDA

View Full Version : Boers Rips Into Sun-Times Sox Coverage

Viva Medias B's
04-18-2005, 05:38 PM
I caught the beginning of B&B today, and Terry Boers ripped into the local newspapers (particularly the Sun-Times). Calling the media "retarded," Boers said the media was covering the Sox as if they were 2-10 instead of 8-4. He then read off the headlines in the Sun-Times to illustrate bias against the White Sox. In so doing, Boers claimed that the media looks at the problem-plagued Cubs through rose-colored glasses while looking down upon the White Sox.

It was great to hear someone in the media step out and expose these morons.

MIgrenade
04-18-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm happy to see that, I knew they would validate my listening everyday.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Dan Jiggets on Chicago Tribune Live also seemed to insinuate that the 'media' was trying to make an issue out of this by taking Frank's Saturday comments and running with them to Ozzie on Sunday.

He said Kenny Williams can't be happy with this.

Lip

NardiWasHere
04-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Me likey Boers. Larry Horse says Boers is too correct-y.

Dub25
04-18-2005, 10:15 PM
With that being said I will take that seriously from him. Believe me, there are times when he really pisses me off but he might be the only one in the media around here that doesn't choose sides when it comes to Sox and Cubs. Good for him.

WagMan
04-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Sounds like more auditioning from the Score to pick up the radio broadcast

SOXPHILE
04-18-2005, 10:35 PM
I heard it too. I even fired off a fax to them, basically thanking them for calling out the media on this. They piss me off sometimes too, but they never fail to rip on the Tribune company, and how they cover the Blue ones. They've ripped them for tons of stuff- the sweeping under the rug thing when that guy was murdered outside Wrigley, Johnny Baker, Sosa, and also, the columnists who write fluffy crap about the Cubs. Boers has even called Phil Rogers & Rick Morrisey "company men", and I know they can't stand Dan McGrath (alleged Sox fan, but supposedly very buddy buddy with Johnny Baker, which is very unproffesional). Terry & Dan hit the bulls eye with this one. Even though he's VERY drinky, I do believe Larry Horse is the brains behind that show too.

batmanZoSo
04-18-2005, 11:20 PM
I caught this too. Say what you want about the print and TV media--and they do screw us all the time--but I think sports blab does a really fair job of covering us and giving this team their due. Unfortunately, people who listen to sports radio are already die hard fans and already know the truth. The casual paper readers and 9 o'clock newswatchers are the ones always getting the negative Sox crap in their faces.

In the end though I say who cares right now. We're winning and it feels good. If we keep winning, eventually they'll run out of bad things to say.

dungball
04-18-2005, 11:26 PM
cubbies are praised for not pushing hard for mags after a winter of sox bashing for the same. how would this have read if mags was doing well?http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-csep16.html

mikehuff
04-19-2005, 07:31 AM
cubbies are praised for not pushing hard for mags after a winter of sox bashing for the same. how would this have read if mags was doing well?http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-csep16.html
Nice post Dung. That is a PERFECT example of Cubs bias in the Chicago media. I really can't say anything else.

SoxOnTop
04-19-2005, 07:44 AM

***!!! 2 days ago, the are ripping into the Sox about being too cheap to pay for Ordonez and today, they are praising the Cubs for not signing him.

UnbeFREAKINGlievable!!!!

What a bunch of Cubbie Coolade drinking jerks. :angry:

FedEx227
04-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Frank Robinson had a little blurp in the Tribune today complaining about the lack of Nationals coverage on ESPN. His quote was something like "We had a great comeback win and they showed one swing...for the Mets they showed about 5-6 things, its unfair"

preaching to the choir Robinson..

The Racehorse
04-19-2005, 08:43 AM
Frank Robinson had a little blurp in the Tribune today complaining about the lack of Nationals coverage on ESPN. His quote was something like "We had a great comeback win and they showed one swing...for the Mets they showed about 5-6 things, its unfair"

preaching to the choir Robinson..

Nice too see 'Sleepy' Frank wake up just in time to notice that. :D:

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 09:18 AM

EXCELLENT POST. I read this and wanted to fire on the Media for this.
Blue Corporation being PRAISED for saying no to Magglio, and making it seem
as if Magglio were a member of the cubs, and not the SOX. Guess who
wrote this piece of trash? None other than the embarrassment to journalists everywhere, former editor-in-chief of Pravda, MIKE KILEY

Ol' No. 2
04-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Some of this may be having an effect. The front page of the Trib sports section has a big picture of Carl after his second HR, and I've seen more balanced coverage than last year. (I know, that's not saying a lot.:angry:)

TommyJohn
04-19-2005, 09:30 AM
wrote this piece of trash? None other than the embarrassment to journalists everywhere, former editor-in-chief of Pravda, MIKE KILEY

As soon as I read that last line about Jason DuBois, I immediately thought
of you. I saw it in the paper and thought "so this is what Hangar is talking
about when he rips Kiley or uses the phrase 'Kileyesque.'"

LVSoxFan
04-19-2005, 09:38 AM
There's always going to be more coverage of the Cubs--get used to it. It's always been that way (at least in recent history) and it always will.

The only thing that will change that is if the Sox continue to steam along and the Cubs fade into the basement--which is entirely possible the way they're going. Cubs town or not, they're not "news" when they're completely out of it. It's just a hunch, but I think that's exactly what they're going to do this year--I think their time has past, when they didn't capitalize on '03 or '04. 2003 especially--LOL. That's about as close as you can come.

So in that sense the time is right for the Sox to grab the headlines, but as far as the Sox getting their equal time--doubt it will ever happen. Cubs are almost part of culture in this city, like it or not.

I've been reading the Sun-Times all along and while I know everybody hates Mariotti, I don't find their coverage too anti-Sox. As for the Ozzie thing with Frank, maybe it was blown up a bit but I think Ozzie needs to put a lid on it personally. He can have that conversation with Frank in private. This is where KW comes in and tells Ozzie exactly that.

Because when the players or manager start getting embroiled in sideshows because the GM won't put his foot down, you end up with... the Cubs.

Flight #24
04-19-2005, 09:40 AM

SunTimes on Sunday says : This is one big trick, a ploy not to pay Magglio Ordonez -- who is out for a few weeks in Detroit with a hernia -- or Carlos Lee.

SunTimes on Monday says: The news that Detroit's Magglio Ordonez is going to miss four to six weeks with hernia surgery seems to justify the Cubs' cautious approach with him

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

spawn
04-19-2005, 09:54 AM
I just fired off an e-mail to the Sun-Times for this slight. That's complete BS!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

mcfish
04-19-2005, 10:19 AM
SunTimes on Sunday says : This is one big trick, a ploy not to pay Magglio Ordonez -- who is out for a few weeks in Detroit with a hernia -- or Carlos Lee.
SunTimes on Monday says: The news that Detroit's Magglio Ordonez is going to miss four to six weeks with hernia surgery seems to justify the Cubs' cautious approach with him
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:It's so much more interesting to actually see the quotes side by side. Little, seemingly innocent differences - he's out for a "few weeks" when the Sox let him go, but it's "four to six weeks" when the Cubs were cautious.

mantis1212
04-19-2005, 10:37 AM
SunTimes on Sunday says :

SunTimes on Monday says:

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Wow... just, wow.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Regarding ESPN, the Southtown has a story on it today and quotes a spokesperson as saying that the Nationals get the same coverage as 'the other 29 teams...'

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at that remark.

Lip

JB98
04-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Well, maybe they get the same coverage as 25 other teams.

The two New York teams, Boston, the Lovable Losers and San Francisco (when Bonds is healthy) are the exalted ones.