PDA

View Full Version : Tribune = sloppy reporting

JB98
04-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Mods, I didn't know whether to put this in the clubhouse or What's The Score, so move this as you see fit.

Maybe it's just because I work in the newspaper business myself, but I am sick of the Tribune's glaring factual errors in game stories. Not that it makes any difference, but I sent them the following letter to get my frustration out:

The White Sox have played 12 games so far this season, and there have already been three occasions where Tribune reporters have screwed up basic facts about the game.

Take today's story, for example. In the 7th graf, John Mullin indicates that Pablo Ozuna was "pinch-hitting for Tadahito Iguchi" in the ninth inning when Willie Harris was thrown out to end the game. This is incorrect. Ozuna pinch-hit for Timo Perez in the seventh and had remained in the game to play left field. Iguchi was 3-for-3 yesterday, one of the few Sox hitters to swing the bat well. I don't think Ozzie Guillen would be pinch-hitting for Iguchi given that fact, and even if he did, he certainly wouldn't have been calling on Pablo Ozuna. That should have been an obvious red flag for a sports copy editor. Apparently not.

In addition, your jump line on page 4 indicates, "Everett hits 3-run homer." Wrong again. It was a two-run shot. Uribe doubled and scored the first run on a single by Iguchi. Everett then followed with his blast. Writer Mullin got this part correct. Whoever wrote your jump line blew it.

You guys are already on thin ice with many Sox fans. Quite a few of us feel you go out of your way to be negative toward our team. Whether that's true or not, I can't say for certain. However, your credibility takes a big hit with me when you make these types of errors.

Sincerely,

Jason Bauman

---
White Sox record: 8-4
White Sox record with me in attendance: 2-1

ChiSoxRowand
04-18-2005, 06:03 PM
One thing the tribune got wrong the first week of the season was the standings. It seemed like every day the first week of the season there was an error in the standings.

Bo Bice 4 Pope
04-18-2005, 08:31 PM
seems like the Tribune crew requires a sound beating with a sack full of frozen potatoes... again. :angry:

shoota
04-19-2005, 01:59 AM
Mods, I didn't know whether to put this in the clubhouse or What's The Score, so move this as you see fit.

Maybe it's just because I work in the newspaper business myself, but I am sick of the Tribune's glaring factual errors in game stories. Not that it makes any difference, but I sent them the following letter to get my frustration out:

The White Sox have played 12 games so far this season, and there have already been three occasions where Tribune reporters have screwed up basic facts about the game.

Take today's story, for example. In the 7th graf, John Mullin indicates that Pablo Ozuna was "pinch-hitting for Tadahito Iguchi" in the ninth inning when Willie Harris was thrown out to end the game. This is incorrect. Ozuna pinch-hit for Timo Perez in the seventh and had remained in the game to play left field. Iguchi was 3-for-3 yesterday, one of the few Sox hitters to swing the bat well. I don't think Ozzie Guillen would be pinch-hitting for Iguchi given that fact, and even if he did, he certainly wouldn't have been calling on Pablo Ozuna. That should have been an obvious red flag for a sports copy editor. Apparently not.

In addition, your jump line on page 4 indicates, "Everett hits 3-run homer." Wrong again. It was a two-run shot. Uribe doubled and scored the first run on a single by Iguchi. Everett then followed with his blast. Writer Mullin got this part correct. Whoever wrote your jump line blew it.

You guys are already on thin ice with many Sox fans. Quite a few of us feel you go out of your way to be negative toward our team. Whether that's true or not, I can't say for certain. However, your credibility takes a big hit with me when you make these types of errors.

Sincerely,

Jason Bauman

---
White Sox record: 8-4
White Sox record with me in attendance: 2-1

Also, Mark Gonzales, Sox beat writer, spelled Jon Garland, "John Garland" on the front page.

kojak
04-19-2005, 02:09 AM
JB, I got this email by mistake. It is a reply to your letter to the Tribune:

Dear Mr. Bauman,

Thank you for your recent letter alleging mistakes in our reporting of a recent White Sox game. It is always the intention of the Tribune Company to ensure that our readers "get the story straight". In fact, in our Company Policy Doctrine titled "100 reasons to get the story straight!" you will find #98 is correct and expedient coverage of sporting events South of the City.

I paraphrased of course. The actual text is as follows: Article 98 "Should there at any time become a clear and present danger initiated by any radical element threatening the operations of the establishment of the Tribune Company, reporting on members of this radical element will be relegated to the classifieds until such time as their threat has been eliminated. Code: King Dusty"

As you can see, we have 97 higher priorities than missing a few meaningless facts from a Sox game. I'm sure our reporters and editors were likely distracted by something going on in the Cubs game {genuflect here} anyway. I am certain that if there is something happening South of the City that is germane to the operations of the Tribune Company, we will make a point to "get the story straight".

Thank you and please cease and desist with your correspondance.

Harvey Manfrengensenden
Managing Editor
Chicago Tribune

fusillirob1983
04-19-2005, 02:32 AM
Was that an attempt at teal?

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Dan Jiggetts hosted a 3 man panel on the whole Frank Thomas issue.
Some guy named Gaugher was there, never heard of him, probably
the cooking section editor, Sam Smith, the NBA and Bulls beat writer,
and Jesse Rogers of the Score 670. This Cooking critic Gaugher,
ripped into Thomas, saying he deserved to be ripped, was a selfish player,
and Sam Smith chimed iin agreement. I was dumbfounded, im
thinking who is this Cooking critic guy, might as well have brought
Blair Kamen (architecture critic) and had him rip into Frank some also.

Jesse was the only one defending Frank somewhat, and Sam Smith, a special
pie-in-the-face to that jackbag, he was merciless, calling out Frank
every step of the way. He needs to stick to Bulls coverage. IM sure
hes a good writer, but how does he qualify to comment on Frank?

Ridiculous show by Comcast/Tribune Corporation. Jiggetts tried to deflect
the issues and get the real story out there .......

Rocky Soprano
04-19-2005, 10:40 AM
JB, I got this email by mistake. It is a reply to your letter to the Tribune:

Dear Mr. Bauman,

Thank you for your recent letter alleging mistakes in our reporting of a recent White Sox game. It is always the intention of the Tribune Company to ensure that our readers "get the story straight". In fact, in our Company Policy Doctrine titled "100 reasons to get the story straight!" you will find #98 is correct and expedient coverage of sporting events South of the City.

I paraphrased of course. The actual text is as follows: Article 98 "Should there at any time become a clear and present danger initiated by any radical element threatening the operations of the establishment of the Tribune Company, reporting on members of this radical element will be relegated to the classifieds until such time as their threat has been eliminated. Code: King Dusty"

As you can see, we have 97 higher priorities than missing a few meaningless facts from a Sox game. I'm sure our reporters and editors were likely distracted by something going on in the Cubs game {genuflect here} anyway. I am certain that if there is something happening South of the City that is germane to the operations of the Tribune Company, we will make a point to "get the story straight".

Thank you and please cease and desist with your correspondance.

Harvey Manfrengensenden
Managing Editor
Chicago Tribune

STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER:

:tealpolice:

ktssox
04-19-2005, 11:07 AM
ummm...i'm not sure, but maybe that was supposed to be cubbie blue not teal?

tstrike2000
04-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Tribune, sloppy reporting? Naww, that can't be!!! Besides screwing up basic facts, their biased Scrubs reporting towards the Sox always has to be taken with a grain of salt.

kojak
04-19-2005, 01:30 PM
ummm...i'm not sure, but maybe that was supposed to be cubbie blue not teal?

Thanks! Yes it was Cubbie blue!

Personally, I don't believe in the concept of teal

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :cool: