PDA

View Full Version : Twins to hold open try-outs

DaleJRFan
04-18-2005, 05:40 PM
linkie (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050418&content_id=1019908&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min)

Maybe the Twins will like my 65 mph fastball and 56 mph straight change. Maybe they'll pay for the surgery I was told I needed to repair the AC arthrosis in my throwing shoulder.

Wouldn't it be fun though, to work out for an MLB team?? :cool:

hose
04-18-2005, 05:50 PM
:jamie

I'd love to see Jamie make a come back with the Twins.

Foulke You
04-18-2005, 05:53 PM
I believe the Cubs and Sox hold open tryouts every now and then. Don't know where and when they hold them though.

DaleJRFan
04-18-2005, 05:58 PM
I always wanted to see what a real hitter could do if I was throwing to them. Every littleleague/pony coach told me to play in highschool and try to get on the team at the college I went to...

instead, by the time I hit 13, I opted for the cigarettes/booze/guitars/loud music/ long hair/etc and not "sports".

:D:

I'll bet all those coaches were dead wrong!! :)

SOXintheBURGH
04-18-2005, 07:14 PM
I always wanted to see what a real hitter could do if I was throwing to them. Every littleleague/pony coach told me to play in highschool and try to get on the team at the college I went to...

instead, by the time I hit 13, I opted for the cigarettes/booze/guitars/loud music/ long hair/etc and not "sports".

:D:

I'll bet all those coaches were dead wrong!! :)

I thought Kelly Lee ended up playing for the Bad News Bears anyways? :gulp:

Mohoney
04-18-2005, 07:24 PM
I guarantee at least two hall of famers come from this open tryout.

The next Lew Ford is out there.

Whitesox029
04-18-2005, 11:20 PM
linkie (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050418&content_id=1019908&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min)

Maybe the Twins will like my 65 mph fastball and 56 mph straight change. Maybe they'll pay for the surgery I was told I needed to repair the AC arthrosis in my throwing shoulder.

Wouldn't it be fun though, to work out for an MLB team?? :cool:
If you try out I guarantee you'll blossom into an over-average #2 starter and be touted highly by the national media.

Rocklive99
04-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I've read about us doing this too in the past, I'm not sure if it's around ST time or what, but you might be able to find something if you browse the website

SOXPHILE
04-19-2005, 12:16 AM
I actually did that once, over 10 years ago. The Pittsburgh Pirates were holding open tryouts at Triton College, and I went down there just to give it a shot. I knew I didn't stand a chance, but I thought it would be fun to do. Plus, now I can tell everybody that I tried out for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Always good for a laugh or two when out with your friends, and occasionally, I'll get an incredulous "Really ? Cool !!"

DaleJRFan
04-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Yeah, I've read about us doing this too in the past, I'm not sure if it's around ST time or what, but you might be able to find something if you browse the website

...prior to the 04 season, the Sox held open tryouts at St. Xavier... I wasn't eligable, too old. I guess 26 was too old back then. Cut off was 25 for an undrafted player with no major league experience.

DaleJRFan
04-19-2005, 12:31 AM
I actually did that once, over 10 years ago. The Pittsburgh Pirates were holding open tryouts at Triton College, and I went down there just to give it a shot. I knew I didn't stand a chance, but I thought it would be fun to do. Plus, now I can tell everybody that I tried out for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Always good for a laugh or two when out with your friends, and occasionally, I'll get an incredulous "Really ? Cool !!"

cool story, man. check my profile, email me... I wanna hear all about it!

batmanZoSo
04-19-2005, 12:38 AM
I have an 82 mph fastball straight as an arrow, a hanging curveball, and a splitter in the dirt.