PDA

View Full Version : What to do when Big Frank comes back

BNLSox
04-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Hey fellow fans,

With Everett killing the ball at DH (.317, 2HR, 11RBI) what do we do when Big Frank comes back?? The only choices I see involve sacrificing defense by moving Konerko to 3rd and having Crazy Carl at 1st. But I'm not so sure thats a great move though I'm sure a lot of us would like to see a lot less of Mr. Crede despite his current "hitting streak."

Your predictions on the line up changes or inside knowledge on how the team plans to handle the return of the bigman would be much appreciated.

GO SOX!!!! (and baby bulls!)

gobears1987
04-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Everett to RF, or you platoon him if Dye and Co. are hitting. Frank is the DH

TaylorStSox
04-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Hey fellow fans,

With Everett killing the ball at DH (.317, 2HR, 11RBI) what do we do when Big Frank comes back?? The only choices I see involve sacrificing defense by moving Konerko to 3rd and having Crazy Carl at 1st. But I'm not so sure thats a great move though I'm sure a lot of us would like to see a lot less of Mr. Crede despite his current "hitting streak."

Your predictions on the line up changes or inside knowledge on how the team plans to handle the return of the bigman would be much appreciated.

Konerko at 3rd and Carl at 1st????? Okay I've seen it all today.

PAPChiSox729
04-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Hey fellow fans,

Firstly,
:welcome:

Secondly, I think that they may bench Carl like they originally planned. But if Dye continues to struggle, I think they may have Everett in RF and put Jermaine on the bench. But I know that they will not try Konerko or any of our outfielders at 3rd.

Thirdly, didn't Joe's streak end yesterday?

StepsInSC
04-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Konerko at third? That's not just a sacrifice of D, that's equivalent to only playing three infielders...one of whom is Everett?

Its not just a matter of moving people around like a video game. Look at ARod, he's still adapting to playing 3B.

I say let Everett play in right more frequently, and bench Dye...assuming that they both keep hitting the way they are.

mantis1212
04-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Konerko at 3rd and Carl at 1st????? Okay I've seen it all today.

Yeah that's a new one for me too!!

I'd say it depends on how people are hitting. If he came back right now Dye would be the odd man out. When lefties pitch have Dye come in for Carl unless Carl is really killing the ball from both sides of the plate.

Ultimately I can see a platoon in RF between Dye and Carl

Ron Karkovice
04-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Konerko hasn't played 3b since like '96! I see Everett sharing RF with Dye, and also sharing DH with Thomas. And maybe even Frank at 1b sometimes giving Konerko a rest and Carl the Dh spot for the day.
It will be interesting to see what Ozzie does.

samram
04-18-2005, 05:14 PM
What's going to happen is Frank is going to be the DH and Carl is going to be on the bench, getting maybe 8-10 at-bats a week. He'll spell Dye against tough righties, and Pods against tough lefties, but I don't think Ozzie is prepared to sacrifice Dye's defense (yes, I know, he misplayed one ball on Sunday, but it's time to get over that) to have Everett's bat in the lineup, especially considering Dye will probably start to hit and Carl is just not any damn good in the OF.

fuzzy_patters
04-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Konerko hasn't played 3b since like '96! I see Everett sharing RF with Dye, and also sharing DH with Thomas. And maybe even Frank at 1b sometimes giving Konerko a rest and Carl the Dh spot for the day.
It will be interesting to see what Ozzie does.

Konerko last played 3b in 2000. He appeared in 7 games at the hot corner before the aquisition of Herbert Perry.

balke
04-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Firstly,
:welcome:

Secondly, I think that they may bench Carl like they originally planned. But if Dye continues to struggle, I think they may have Everett in RF and put Jermaine on the bench. But I know that they will not try Konerko or any of our outfielders at 3rd.

Thirdly, didn't Joe's streak end yesterday?

Didn't Joe reach on that weird roller down the 3rd base line that just died on the grass?

Ron Karkovice
04-18-2005, 05:16 PM
kind of off topic: Mariotti just picked the white sox as the biggest surprise as the season so far, and after everybody was yelling "hometown pick" to him he responded with "no, the white sox hate me, they hate me" it was pretty funny.

mweflen
where is that "welcome to last week" picture when you need it? :smile: how many threads are there about this?

cheeses_h_rice
What's going to happen is Frank is going to be the DH and Carl is going to be on the bench, getting maybe 8-10 at-bats a week. He'll spell Dye against tough righties, and Pods against tough lefties, but I don't think Ozzie is prepared to sacrifice Dye's defense (yes, I know, he misplayed one ball on Sunday, but it's time to get over that) to have Everett's bat in the lineup, especially considering Dye will probably start to hit and Carl is just not any damn good in the OF.

Couldn't have said any better or simpler myself.

:thumbsup:

Ron Karkovice
04-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Konerko last played 3b in 2000. He appeared in 7 games at the hot corner before the aquisition of Herbert Perry.

He played more when he was with the dodgers... oh well.

fuzzy_patters
04-18-2005, 05:17 PM

I agree. I think there will be plenty of at bats to go around. Podsednik can play center field and give Rowand the occasional day off, as well. Also, Frank can play first to give Paulie a day off. In other words, Everett can sub for Frank, Konerko, Dye, Rowand, and Podsednik. Ozzie should be able to find plenty of at bats for Everett and keep all of the aforementioned players fresh if he uses him right.

TaylorStSox
04-18-2005, 05:19 PM
PK was the worst 3rd baseman I've ever seen. So bad that the show Maximum Exposure had a montage of some of his plays with the Dodgers. Awful.

Ron Karkovice
04-18-2005, 05:20 PM
PK was the worst 3rd baseman I've ever seen. So bad that the show Maximum Exposure had a montage of some of his plays with the Dodgers. Awful.

haha leave nerko alone! He does often surprise me with his glove-work at 1b though...

TaylorStSox
04-18-2005, 05:22 PM
To answer the question.

Frank's going to play SS. Carl's going to play 1st. Iguchi will play C. AJ. will move to 2nd. Konerko moves to CF and Rowand to 3rd.

Ron Karkovice
04-18-2005, 05:24 PM
To answer the question.

Frank's going to play SS. Carl's going to play 1st. Iguchi will play C. AJ. will move to 2nd. Konerko moves to CF and Rowand to 3rd.

Where will Chris Snopek play?:cool:

MRKARNO
04-18-2005, 05:29 PM
A few things you could do:

-Sit the person who is performing worst in the outfield except for 2 games a week or so
-Platoon Dye with Everett (long term I think this might be one of the better options, unless Everett continues to hit the ball like he has)
-Rotate Podsednik, Dye and Everett so they get 2/3 of the time each

Anyway you look at it, we have a lot of good options that will only serve to increase competition and make our team better. Putting Konerko at third is not a realistic option.

BNLSox
04-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Alright alright....so a team platooning of Carl seems to make sense. Thanks for your input. :cool:

TaylorStSox
04-18-2005, 05:39 PM
A few things you could do:

-Sit the person who is performing worst in the outfield except for 2 games a week or so
-Platoon Dye with Everett (long term I think this might be one of the better options, unless Everett continues to hit the ball like he has)
-Rotate Podsednik, Dye and Everett so they get 2/3 of the time each

Anyway you look at it, we have a lot of good options that will only serve to increase competition and make our team better. Putting Konerko at third is not a realistic option.

:jerry
"Looks good to me."