PDA

View Full Version : Please Read-This is so True. Go Ozzie!

Bobbo35
04-18-2005, 01:45 PM
GUILLEN: BUEHRLE RATES MORE PUB THAN 2 CUBS

While defending Mark Buehrle on Sunday, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen took a sideswipe at the Cubs and their much-publicized pitching duo of Mark Prior and Kerry Wood.

When asked why Buehrle—who is 2-1 with a 2.25 ERA this year and first in the league in innings pitched and opponents' batting average—gets little credit for being one of the game's best pitchers, Guillen got rolling:

"Because he plays for the White Sox and he doesn't throw 100 [m.p.h.]. If he threw hard like Randy Johnson and Kerry Wood, he would be one of the top No. 1 guys in baseball.

"He'll never win the Cy Young [Award] because he plays for the wrong team. He doesn't play with Boston, New York or the Cubs, and that's why nobody talks about him. That's it.

"Mark Buehrle does a lot better stuff than some people in this game, and nobody ever says anything about him.

"I don't want to name people because I'm going to get in trouble. But you know who we're talking about."

Guillen was then asked if Buehrle would be a Cy Young winner if he played for the Cubs.

"No, but he would be more popular because we got a couple players on the other side [of town] who are real big in this town who are not doing even close to what Buehrle does."

This is so true. People say Ozzie needs to watch what he says. He is the only one who speaks up for the Sox in the tabloids minus Hawk. I think it is great. Buerhle does not get enough credit at all.

miker
04-18-2005, 01:54 PM
I knew there was a reason I liked Ozzie! Now lets win this thing and shove it up the "expert media's" you-know-what!

Chicago83
04-18-2005, 01:57 PM
The Oz tells it like it is.

Clembasbal
04-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Where was this article...link?

Anyway, it is true that he says what he feels. But it does get him into trouble sometimes, and it will get him into trouble when Big Frank Returns. Where is he going to put him? And are you going to bench him? See what that does the clubhouse when he isn't playing.

Jurr
04-18-2005, 02:51 PM
When you think about Ozzie, you know that he's a die hard Sox fan. He, along with the rest of the Sox staff, really love this team and want nothing more than the team to win. This is very different from the Jerry Manuel era, where that deeply rooted history wasn't there.

Ozzie is one of us....a Sox man through and through. He's going to get irritated by the lack of respect the team gets, and he's been voicing his opinion, which is on par with most of our thoughts.

The one thing I love about Ozzie is that he is playing each game like it's the ALCS. When he took Shingo out, you saw that this guy is not sacrificing a game now for the future. He wants to win EVERY TIME HE WRITES A LINEUP CARD. The only way a team that plays with a smaller payroll is going to win the whole thing is if there's a passion by everyone involved to get the job done. Having former Sox players all over that clubhouse and dugout is the best thing we could ever hope for.

SOXSINCE'70
04-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Mark Beuhrle has 1 more win (2) than Wood and Prior COMBINED
this season.But everyone hates the Sox,so let's go sCrUBS!!:gulp:

ZachAL
04-18-2005, 04:05 PM

While defending Mark Buehrle on Sunday, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen took a sideswipe at the Cubs and their much-publicized pitching duo of Mark Prior and Kerry Wood.

When asked why Buehrle—who is 2-1 with a 2.25 ERA this year and first in the league in innings pitched and opponents' batting average—gets little credit for being one of the game's best pitchers, Guillen got rolling:

"Because he plays for the White Sox and he doesn't throw 100 [m.p.h.]. If he threw hard like Randy Johnson and Kerry Wood, he would be one of the top No. 1 guys in baseball.

"He'll never win the Cy Young [Award] because he plays for the wrong team. He doesn't play with Boston, New York or the Cubs, and that's why nobody talks about him. That's it.

"Mark Buehrle does a lot better stuff than some people in this game, and nobody ever says anything about him.

"I don't want to name people because I'm going to get in trouble. But you know who we're talking about."

Guillen was then asked if Buehrle would be a Cy Young winner if he played for the Cubs.

"No, but he would be more popular because we got a couple players on the other side [of town] who are real big in this town who are not doing even close to what Buehrle does."

This is so true. People say Ozzie needs to watch what he says. He is the only one who speaks up for the Sox in the tabloids minus Hawk. I think it is great. Buerhle does not get enough credit at all.

I like this attitude from Ozzie, but I could do without him saying that Beurhle will never win a Cy Young. I mean c'mon, thats an unnecessary comment, and you don't want to give Beurhle any more reasons than he already has to skip town for St. Louis...basically don't discourage him on the White Sox. Keep him happy. Encourage him, don't tell him he can never win one.

crazyozzie02
04-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Four Simple Words............

The Truth is Told

MRKARNO
04-18-2005, 04:31 PM
I like this attitude from Ozzie, but I could do without him saying that Beurhle will never win a Cy Young. I mean c'mon, thats an unnecessary comment, and you don't want to give Beurhle any more reasons than he already has to skip town for St. Louis...basically don't discourage him on the White Sox. Keep him happy. Encourage him, don't tell him he can never win one.

I agree. Buehrle has a much better chance to win the Cy Young than Freddy Garcia any day of the week, unless Freddy magicall repeats that 2001 season which (unfortuntately) looks almost like the exception rather than the rule for him. If Halladay can win it, Buehrle certainly can too. Ozzie is just talking out of his you know what in this instance in regards to that.

SouthSide4Life
04-18-2005, 04:34 PM
please welcome the best manager in MLB

Lip Man 1
04-18-2005, 07:42 PM
I can't argue with Ozzie's comments.

Lip

Whitesox029
04-18-2005, 11:42 PM
How it used to be:
When asked why Buehrle—who is 2-1 with a 2.25 ERA this year and first in the league in innings pitched and opponents' batting average—gets little credit for being one of the game's best pitchers, Milquetoast Manuel sat down and thought for 10 minutes before replying:

"Obviously it must mean that he actually isn't one of the game's best pitchers. The media said it, right?"

mealfred13
04-18-2005, 11:43 PM
How it used to be:
When asked why Buehrle—who is 2-1 with a 2.25 ERA this year and first in the league in innings pitched and opponents' batting average—gets little credit for being one of the game's best pitchers, Milquetoast Manuel sat down and thought for 10 minutes before replying:

"Obviously it must mean that he actually isn't one of the game's best pitchers. The media said it, right?"

Clearly you must be joking?

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Ozz took the words right out of my mouth !!!!
Ive been saying the same thing for years and years, this team is ignored
and ignored and ignored. After our big win last nite, I tuned
really quickly to the Score and the Murphy show. He was down
and half-heartedly reporting on the Sox win, then continued the rest
of the evening steering callers to the flubby bullpen situation. 25 minutes
later, I laughed and turned the dial back to am1000. :smile:

mcfish
04-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Clearly you must be joking?That seems to have been the point of his post. If you didn't get it from the overall tone, "Milquetoast Manuel" should have given it away. I don't even know what that means, but it is fun to make fun of JM.

Stroker Ace
04-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Talk about hitting the nail on the head.

spawn
04-19-2005, 11:18 AM
You've got it wrong. He's not saying Buerhle doesn't have the stuff to win a Cy Young. He's saying that because others get the attention, he's overshadowed by Prior and Wood pitching in this town. With Ozzie's comments, maybe the media will pay a little more attetion to Buehrle.I think MB would love how Ozzie is backing him.

harwar
04-19-2005, 11:28 AM

In fairness to Ozzie,we must remember that Mark himself has stated the same thing.
White Sox players and fans know the situation all too well.
The only way to turn all this anti-White Sox bias and negativity around is to win,win,win.

Rocklive99
04-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Eh, I like the under the radar approach. See where all the media attention has gotten the "Flub aces"? Who cares about the attention, as long as the great pitching performances keep coming. It's probably just a personal opinin by me, I'm always superstitious of when people boast about our pitchers our are team being great, then the opposite happens.

Whitesox029
04-19-2005, 11:31 PM
That seems to have been the point of his post. If you didn't get it from the overall tone, "Milquetoast Manuel" should have given it away. I don't even know what that means, but it is fun to make fun of JM.
You pretty much hit it on the head...and BTW:
Milquetoast (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=milquetoast&x=5&y=15)

ZachAL
04-19-2005, 11:36 PM
You've got it wrong. He's not saying Buerhle doesn't have the stuff to win a Cy Young. He's saying that because others get the attention, he's overshadowed by Prior and Wood pitching in this town. With Ozzie's comments, maybe the media will pay a little more attetion to Buehrle.I think MB would love how Ozzie is backing him.

I understand, but do you yourself think it is necessary for Ozzie to hammer this point home? What does it accomplish? If Mark Beurhle isn't getting the media attention in Chicago by now, I dont think Ozzie needs to remind him again

FJA
04-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Sullivan disagrees:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-050419cubssoxbuehrlewoodprior,1,4785793.story?coll =cs-home-headlines

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 12:18 AM

That's awesome, way to go Ozzie. I don't have a problem with him saying "No," Buehrle isn't a Cy Young winner, he just tells it like it is. Just the other day, some idiot reporter asked him if Podsednik was an Ichiro type player and Ozzie rightfully laughed it off and basically said "no way." But he said it in a good natured way, not in a critical way. Pods knows who he is, and he's not going to compare himself to Ichiro, nor does Buehrle consider himself an elite pitcher (although the numbers put up a good case against that).

I just disagree that Buehrle can't or won't win a Cy Young. The guy is pretty much a shoe-in for 16-19 wins and with a little luck can win 20 or 21. I do not consider him to be in the very top tier of elite pitchers, with Santana, a healthy Prior, Johnson, etc, but he isn't far behind. Buehrle can win it, but it has to be the right year. Just because you're not a dominating ace, doesn't mean the stars can't align for you. If he were to win 21 games this year with a 3.50 era and no one else wins 20, while the Sox win the division, he's got a pretty damn good chance to win it. Obviously a lot has to go right for him, but that's really not a huge stretch of a scenario. And he's really upped his strike out ratio since 03 and prior.

I mean come on, Esteban freakin Loaiza was a few shaky September starts from winning it. If we had won the division that year, he would have won it. And you could make a case that he deserved to win it over Halladay.

NWSox
04-20-2005, 01:02 AM
Sullivan disagrees:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-050419cubssoxbuehrlewoodprior,1,4785793.story?coll =cs-home-headlines

But he's missing the point here. Wood has basically missed more than two whole seasons due to injuries and pitches in the NL (so his ERA should be a lot lower).

Prior just hasn't pitched enough for his stats to be that meaningful.

Buehrle is easily the best pitcher in Chicago, and yet he gets a fraction of the press.