PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Stark: Sox are an illusion

pudge
04-18-2005, 11:45 AM
On ESPN radio in Seattle this morning, Stark called the Sox an illusion. He said they could win if Konerko hits a homer every night. He said he doesn't think they will score any runs, and relying on El Duque and Contreras doesn't cut it.

On the bright side, he called Buehrle the best pitcher in Arizona and said he is NOT an illusion.

To be fair, Stark also said the Dodgers, Orioles and Nationals were illusions.

Have at it.

tstrike2000
04-18-2005, 11:55 AM
You mean just 12 games into the season, the Sox are just toying with us by winning 8 of 12? Konerko hitting 2 home runs in just 1 of those games is a prognostication of the rest of the season? Our starting pitching isn't enough? Crap, I should just cash in my season tickets now. I've never heard more clueless baseball people in my life. Whatever ESPN is paying these guys is entirely too much. The average Sox fan has more brains about baseball in their pinky then most of the ESPN "analysts" put together.

Ol' No. 2
04-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Jayson Stark's baseball knowledge is an illusion.

jabrch
04-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Ask Stark - the Mets and the Yanks will play in the WS this year. LOL...

eshunn2001
04-18-2005, 12:00 PM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baby Fisk
04-18-2005, 12:01 PM
ESPN must have rejected the real stories so far:

--Yankees illusion of inevitability will continue to fade as the season progresses
--Sox-Twins blood war will eclipse the BoSox-Yanks blood war
--NL Central:meet the new masters of mediocrity
--Florida: no illusion
--the Braves reign is over

Ol' No. 2
04-18-2005, 12:06 PM

--Yankees illusion of inevitability will continue to fade as the season progresses
--the Braves reign is overYou left out the Dodgers. Maybe DePodesta really did know what he was doing.

Brian26
04-18-2005, 12:07 PM

LOL! Nice work.

Baby Fisk
04-18-2005, 12:08 PM
You left out the Dodgers. Maybe DePodesta really did know what he was doing.
Lowe is still a meathead, but I agree.

Maybe the June 17-19 games will be a World Series preview. :o:

FJA
04-18-2005, 12:11 PM
On ESPN radio in Seattle this morning, Stark called the Sox an illusion. He said they could win if Konerko hits a homer every night. He said he doesn't think they will score any runs, and relying on El Duque and Contreras doesn't cut it.

On the bright side, he called Buehrle the best pitcher in Arizona and said he is NOT an illusion.

Have at it.

The jokers over at ESPN are panicking with the Yankmees in last place, the BoSox hardly dominating and the Flubs underperforming. This stuff usually only serves to motivate, so let him say it. It's ridiculous to say four of six division leaders are illusions and just goes to show once again that ESPN has its favorites.

That being said, given that we are last in OBP and toward the back in BA and Runs, you can hardly call it a completely unfair analysis of our offense. We also have two SPs with a history of being erratic (Garland, Contreras) and one with a history of being injured (Hernandez). On paper, it probably does look like an illusion. We do not have the fifth starter black hole, though, which leaves us in almost every game, and, were Stark to watch, he'd know that, when needed, someone produces. The word illusion applies more to the pages of stat sheets Stark is using than the W-L column. Anyone remember the last time they handed out a trophy for best team OBP?

jabrch
04-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Anyone remember the last time they handed out a trophy for best team OBP?

I think they did that right about when the World Series Trophy was handed out in APRIL.

It's a long season - but calling the Sox out as an illusion is more of a prognosticator trying to look good than an analyst doing his homework.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-18-2005, 12:23 PM
It's a long season - but calling the Sox out as an illusion is more of a prognosticator trying to look good than an analyst doing his homework.

Jayson Stark a prognosticator? LOL! You're being awfully generous.

Try more like know-nothing idiot filling air-time/column-inches.
:wink:

Just because today there is more sports coverage than ever before doesn't mean there is more quality sports coverage. Stark's comments are complete pap and I bet even Stark himself would admit to it if he thought his gig at ESPN wouldn't be jeopardized for telling the truth: he has nothing to say.
:cool:

Flight #24
04-18-2005, 12:28 PM
So let me see if I get this right: Jayson Stark predicted the Sox (among other teams) wouldn't do well. Then when they actually are doing well, he says "it wont last", or paraphrasing "I'm still right, you'll see".

Is anyone surprised?

FJA
04-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Just because today there is more sports coverage than ever before doesn't mean there is more quality sports coverage. Stark's comments are complete pap and I bet even Stark himself would admit to it if he thought his gig at ESPN wouldn't be jeopardized for telling the truth: he has nothing to say.
:cool:

Exactly - I have no problem with Stark having no explanation for Sox success, mostly because I would never expect him to provide something so useful. His preparation for his job consists of reading stat sheets and watching Red Sox and Yankees games. Using the word illusion is just pure idiocy and shows an unwillingness to do any actual analysis. He thought he'd be able to spend his spring talking about the wonderous BoSox and Yankmees ... god forbid he actually has to spend time analyzing the success of the White Sox, Orioles, Dodgers and Nationals. Just because Stark, et al., aren't obnoxious doesn't mean they are any less worthless than the likes of other ESPN personalities like Chris Berman and Dick Vitale.

NonetheLoaiza
04-18-2005, 12:37 PM
This guy is a joke. On the other hand, I'm not at all surprised given the other ESPN analysts' opinions of everything else. That channel is starting to be one of the biggest jokes on tv.

Kadafi311
04-18-2005, 12:51 PM
You left out the Dodgers. Maybe DePodesta really did know what he was doing.

I hope the Dodgers keep it up - that'd be classic. Living out here in CA, all of the sports talk geniuses have been ripping "StuPodesta" and "McBankrupt" since the end of last season.

I can understand Dodger fans being grumpy over losing Beltre. He was a fan-favorite, a home grown product that came up in the Dodger system, and wasn't asking for an unreasonable contract. For them to let Beltre walk, and bring in the very suspect (injury prone) JD Drew, was a questionable move. Even if Drew does have a great year, it was still a shifty move.

Valentin and Lowe were great pickups and Dodger fans are now starting to realize it. They were so upset over the Beltre ordeal that any move DePodesta made was going to get ripped.

As they say, winning cures everything...

34 Inch Stick
04-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Welcome To The Grand Illusion.

David Copperfield has been doing them for years successfully. All the Sox have to do is keep it going for 6 months.

mjharrison72
04-18-2005, 01:54 PM
So let me see if I get this right: Jayson Stark predicted the Sox (among other teams) wouldn't do well. Then when they actually are doing well, he says "it wont last", or paraphrasing "I'm still right, you'll see".

Is anyone surprised?
It's better than the alternative, which is to say "I told you the Sox would be great this year" when he said the opposite earlier. Too many of these mediots are windsocks, and even though the guy thinks the Sox are not going to do well, at least he's keeping a consistent story.
http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/4thmardiv/25thMar/1stBn/CoB/graphics/r_lee_ermey.jpg
"Sir, the private believes any answer he gives will be wrong, and the drill instructor will only beat him harder if he reverses himself, SIR!"

Chicago83
04-18-2005, 02:08 PM

--the Braves reign is over

The Yankess are gonna win 100 games, sorry. Also the Sox-Twins rivalry will never eclipse the Yanks-Sox in the eyes of the national media. Who are you kidding? To us sox fans and the twinks it will always be a better rivalry, but the national media does not care. That's just the way it is and if you don't like it then don't watch ESPN.

The NL Central is actually an overall strong division so far, but you're right it seems like there are no great teams but a bunch of good ones, kind of like the AL Central.

The Braves reign is over??? You wanna bet on that? Yes the Marlins are good, but I would put my money on the Braves.

ChiSoxBobette
04-18-2005, 02:14 PM

Have at it.

Jayson Stark=BONEHEAD!that gos for everyone on espn radio & magazine

Kogs35
04-18-2005, 02:24 PM
This guy is a joke. On the other hand, I'm not at all surprised given the other ESPN analysts' opinions of everything else. That channel is starting to be one of the biggest jokes on tv.

starting to? it already is

Baby Fisk
04-18-2005, 02:27 PM
The Yankess are gonna win 100 games, sorry. Also the Sox-Twins rivalry will never eclipse the Yanks-Sox in the eyes of the national media. Who are you kidding? To us sox fans and the twinks it will always be a better rivalry, but the national media does not care. That's just the way it is and if you don't like it then don't watch ESPN.

The NL Central is actually an overall strong division so far, but you're right it seems like there are no great teams but a bunch of good ones, kind of like the AL Central.

The Braves reign is over??? You wanna bet on that? Yes the Marlins are good, but I would put my money on the Braves.

Holy crap! All you're missing is the Cubs in the NLCS. Do you write for ESPN? :cool:

HITMEN OF 77
04-18-2005, 02:30 PM
The Grand Illusion.

Isn't that a Styx LP? Stark = Bonehead

Shoeless Joe
04-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Jayson Stark's opinion on the Sox was the same opinion I had about the Twins the last three seasons. And guess what...the Twins won the Central the past three seasons. So until the Sox's winning "illusion" wears off I'll say good day to Mr. Stark.

Jurr
04-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Rob Neyer, in my opinion, is the winner of the "tallest midget" award. He actually studies numbers and checks out the games all around the league. He's not as motivated by the success of the teams that are the best market teams (Red Sox, Mets, Yankees, and Cubs.) He's the only "expert" that I even look at from time to time, and he's not that great.

Guys like Stark are worried about covering the teams that are going to be the "sexier" squads to cover, and they will disregard the success of any other teams, because they don't have the "talent" that the big money teams have.

It really looks like times might be a'changin' in the league, or professional sports as a whole for that matter. New England and Detroit have shown that teams can win with solid character guys that buy into a system, regardless of the talent difference with other teams. It's hard to accept this, as it is always easier to lump the stats from previous years that a team's players have and say that they're the best because of that.

The Yankees have All-Star talent at each position, though chemistry and pressure can really negate all of that talent. These jackass experts can't see that for some instance, and they're just going to write off any other team because they don't have the Yankees' talent.

If the Yankees win a lot early, the ESPN guys are happy and place the Yanks in "dynasty and possible best all time" categories. If any smaller market team starts off well, it's written off as "early luck". Pitiful.

fquaye149
04-18-2005, 02:47 PM
It's better than the alternative, which is to say "I told you the Sox would be great this year" when he said the opposite earlier. Too many of these mediots are windsocks, and even though the guy thinks the Sox are not going to do well, at least he's keeping a consistent story.
http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/4thmardiv/25thMar/1stBn/CoB/graphics/r_lee_ermey.jpg
"Sir, the private believes any answer he gives will be wrong, and the drill instructor will only beat him harder if he reverses himself, SIR!"

The correct answer is: I was wrong.

However, I will give odds you will hear very few ESPN "analysts" say this

The Racehorse
04-18-2005, 02:52 PM

As of today:
A.J. .205
Uribe .229
Dye .190

No where to go but up [or in Dye's case, the bench when Frank comes back].

This team will score runs... if Jayson Stark is the real national ****ing baseball writer he can kiss my *** right downtown and print it!

Fenway
04-18-2005, 02:58 PM
White Sox fans have reason to be hopeful.

The team has yet to lose a series and pitching "so far" is holding up. Chances are KW needs to address the closer role quickly as Shingo's confidence has been shaken.

This is only Week 3 out of 26 but the White Sox can not only distance themselves from Cleveland and Detroit ( and stay even or better with the Twins ) BUT they also have a chance to ( if needed ) move to the head of the pack in the Wild Card race. Yes winning the division is the goal, but the last 3 World Series winners have been the Wild Card entry.

When you total up the 162, the games won in April mean just as much as September.. ( and Steinbrenner knows this which is why he has exploded )

StillMissOzzie
04-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Welcome To The Grand Illusion.

And Two Out of Three Ain't Bad! I feel a song coming on...

Illusion? You mean that these games aren't real? They don't count?

Stark = Tool

SMO
:gulp:

SoxSpeed22
04-18-2005, 03:12 PM
This guy is a joke. On the other hand, I'm not at all surprised given the other ESPN analysts' opinions of everything else. That channel is starting to be one of the biggest jokes on tv.When hockey was around, ESPN was the only network that gave half a $&^% about it. They also have way better football and basketball coverage than most other networks. Their Baseball coverage is a joke to anyone who isn't a Red Sox, Yankees or Twins fan and their college basketball coverage is just as laughable. I just go by Foxsports and MLB.com.

SOXSINCE'70
04-18-2005, 03:52 PM
In my world,the Yankmees,Blow Sawx and sCrUBS are
an illusion.ESPN "Mediots"who claim to know squat
about baseball are also an illusion.:roflmao: :roflmao:

SOXSINCE'70
04-18-2005, 03:55 PM
That channel is starting to be one of the biggest jokes on tv.

STARTING to be?? When wasn't it a joke?? I wish they could be
"backbackbackbackbackback,GONE!":mad: :mad:

WhteSox725
04-18-2005, 04:45 PM
This reminds me of back in 2000 when cbssportsline.com started ranking the Sox at the top and they had a line about the Sox in the ranking part that said "Winning does not compute". Guess we were an illusion then too.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2005, 07:41 PM
In October they were, weren't they?

Lip

hempsox
04-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Not everyone on ESPN is an idiot...Simmons the Sports Guy has fantastic insight into OC and 90210 that makes me laugh...even tho he's running a bit behind in his movie reviews. Did you mean sports insight.? Well at least he seems to have the same opinion of curses and luck as White Sox fans.

FarWestChicago
04-18-2005, 11:52 PM
In October they were, weren't they?

Lip:troll

:deadhorse:

:dtroll:

Give it a ****ing rest, Lip!!!!