PDA

View Full Version : Even catalogs have an East Coast bias!

SOX ADDICT '73
04-18-2005, 12:23 AM
I just got my MLB.com "Genuine Merchandise" Spring 2005 catalog, and I ran across this item:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2695&stc=1

If I'm not mistaken, isn't this the cap worn by the WHITE Sox, from 1971-1975? The really funny thing is that there's another vintage cap a few inches away on the same page, Navy blue with a red "B" outlined in white. The description of this cap also reads "BOSTON RED SOX 1946-51". So which is it? You'd think some copy editor would have caught this.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-18-2005, 12:24 AM
That is disgusting. I got the catalog in the mail as well, flipped through it and barely saw any REAL sox stuff so I threw it in the trash. I'm glad I didn't see that...:angry:

Huisj
04-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Last fall, i walked by a guy wearing that hat, and i said "go sox" to him just to be friendly, because i figured he was maybe a sox fan. he says back, "world series baby!" and I just kind of looked at him puzzled like he was an idiot, and he said "what, they're in the world series."

pathetic

SOX ADDICT '73
04-18-2005, 12:49 AM
Last fall, i walked by a guy wearing that hat, and i said "go sox" to him just to be friendly, because i figured he was maybe a sox fan. he says back, "world series baby!" and I just kind of looked at him puzzled like he was an idiot, and he said "what, they're in the world series."

pathetic
That's hilarious!

I went through the catalog again counting the merchandise pictured for each team:

Yankmees = 28 items
Blow-Sox = 25 (taking away the erroneous cap)
sCrUBS = 18
White Sox = 9 (including the '71 cap)

Not to mention the many items that are "only available in NYY, BOS, and CHC".

TDog
04-18-2005, 01:00 AM
I just got my MLB.com "Genuine Merchandise" Spring 2005 catalog, and I ran across this item:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2695&stc=1

If I'm not mistaken, isn't this the cap worn by the WHITE Sox, from 1971-1975? The really funny thing is that there's another vintage cap a few inches away on the same page, Navy blue with a red "B" outlined in white. The description of this cap also reads "BOSTON RED SOX 1946-51". So which is it? You'd think some copy editor would have caught this.

If Ted williams were still alive, this ad would kill him.

Anyone who has seen pictures from the 1946 World Series should remember seeing none of the players wearing this cap.

popilius
04-18-2005, 01:12 AM
How can I get this catalog? Where do I order it?

I am really going to send the nastiest letter. . . my favorite hobby. . . I'll post it here if I can get my hands on the proper address, and so forth.

:gulp:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-18-2005, 01:41 AM
How can I get this catalog? Where do I order it?
I think I get it because I registered for MLB.TV last season. It lists a website (SHOP.MLB.COM/CATALOG) and a phone # (1-888-223-3114), though I was unable to find that particular cap online. If you end up writing a letter, please do post it here!

Lip Man 1
04-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Just wondering....

Why are you upset? The Yanks, Red Sox and Cubs have a national following. That means increased sales for their merchandise.

It's nothing personal, just business.

If (when) the White Sox start succeeding on a serious basis, I'd assume the merchants would start to push their merchandise. It happened before, specifically in 1991, when the new Sox uniform colors were the second largest seller in merchandise. The fact that the Sox appeared to be a team on the rise with nationally known players didn't hurt either.

I can see getting agitated over things connected with the Sox but this isn't one of them.

Lip

nasox
04-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Just wondering....

Why are you upset? The Yanks, Red Sox and Cubs have a national following. That means increased sales for their merchandise.

It's nothing personal, just business.

If (when) the White Sox start succeeding on a serious basis, I'd assume the merchants would start to push their merchandise. It happened before, specifically in 1991, when the new Sox uniform colors were the second largest seller in merchandise. The fact that the Sox appeared to be a team on the rise with nationally known players didn't hurt either.

I can see getting agitated over things connected with the Sox but this isn't one of them.

Lip

Wow, Lip. The Cubs have succeded? That's news for me.

Corlose 15
04-18-2005, 12:57 PM
The Cubs have succeded at marketing themselves.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Nasox:

The Cubs have succeeded at having a 'national following' regardless of whether they win or lose. That translates into sales of their merchandise.

That's all the people in the baseball merchandising business care about.

Again...it's nothing personal, just business. It needs to be accepted as such.

Lip

SOX ADDICT '73
04-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Why are you upset?
Who's upset? I've used words like "funny" and even "hilarious" in this thread, but not :(:, :whiner: , or even :angry:. If anything, it's more like one of these :rolleyes:.

It's not enough that their merchandising already overwhelms ours (and rightfully so, according to Lip), but they even mistakenly take away an item that was legitimately White Sox-related!

I don't think anybody who's posted here is upset that those other teams have more stuff featured in the catalog (in truth, our Sox have more items pictured and available than everybody's favorite Minnesota franchise, and we're all too familiar with their "success"). It's more likely they're frustrated by the lack of effort to make it accurate, as well as the stupidity of the kool-aid drinkers in the general public.

miker
04-18-2005, 01:22 PM
So are we saying that the misprint was becasue someone screwed up and NOT the anti-White Sox, pro-Yanks-BoSox-Flubs conspiracy?

williefan22
04-18-2005, 01:24 PM
I go to school in upstate NY and all I find are Yankees and Red Sox fans. One of the most annoying things for me is seeing people with the white sox gear thinking that they are wearing red sox merchandise. I always want to walk up to these "fans" and ask them if they realize what they are doing. I used to be a fan of the Red Sox until I came here and saw that Red Sox fans are very much similar to Cubs fans. My roommate is from Boston and when I asked why the entire yankees/red sox series was on tv he said that everyone loves to watch these teams. I told him that besides NY and the new england area, no one really cares about this series (thats what I think at least). People on the east coast don't understand that there is a different part of the country besides the east coast.

miker
04-18-2005, 01:26 PM
I...saw that Red Sox fans are very much similar to Cubs fans.

That doesn't give much hope to the future of humanity.

Baby Fisk
04-18-2005, 01:44 PM
That's tough to argue against. Look at how many verminous Cub fans show up at visiting ballparks -- the Cubs cater to that casual baseball fan who is more interested in partying at a baseball game than the game itself. They have found a nearly limitless pool of doofuses all-too-happy to fork over their dough (or their parents' dough) for a baby bear jersey and hat. And look at how many championships the Cubs have been able to amass over the years with all that money. WHOOOO CUBS!!!!

:thankgod

TDog
04-18-2005, 11:44 PM
... Look at how many verminous Cub fans show up at visiting ballparks ...

If you pay to watch baseball games around the country (which I haven't done for almost two years for geographic reasons), you see a lot of transplanted Sox fans at visiting parks. There are so many transplanted Sox fans that only have one series a year to see their team. I used to drive 250 miles to Anaheim (not LA) to see the Sox every year, and there were other Sox fans at my motel.

Sox fans aren't venomous, though.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Sox fans aren't venomous, though.
You must have missed the thread about Crede...

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 11:51 AM

....At the expense of the White Sox. Dont Forget that. At OUR expense.

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 12:08 PM
...... Look at how many verminous Cub fans show up at visiting ballparks --

I was in the Bullpen Bar before the game, and some rookie schmuck took
the hill for the Cincinnati team. He was wild and all over the place and
the Blue Corporation hit a couple home runs that inning. The TV made
sure to show every single cub fan in the stands, cheering and wearing their
junk. That will usually be followed by a comment from the tv announcer "look at the following this team has" or the obligatory "Arent these fans something?" Its shrewd marketing. It makes you think that hey, im getting on board too. The SOX have lots of fans on the road. I know.
I see us play on the road. But where are the Gratuitious SOX Fan cam shots?
Never because they Media wants to play DOWN the white sox fan base,
not play it up. Do this for 20 something years and suddenly .......
you have a "National Following" and you get TWICE as many products peddled in magazines as your nearest competitor (8 miles south)

Lip, I will disagree with you on something here. The SOX were a team on the rise, and their products were indeed the #1/#2 selling merchandise for MLB back then.
But whats even more AMAZING, and should be talked about (and wont, Media would rather talk about little punk darren bakers lineup hunches) was how
the Sox Still were NOT marketed brazenly with their products ........
yet somehow people were buying the stuff in droves. Amazing indeed.
Kind of like how Metallica, the band, got No Radio Airplay and No marketing, yet somehow had amassed a number of platinum albums before they were given the respect they deserved.
It defies logic how the SOX are continuously ignored, and how until now, the SOX were oblivious to this fact.........