PDA

View Full Version : Great News From Big Frank!

RKMeibalane
04-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Frank Thomas issued a State of the Big Hurt on Saturday, and the CliffsNotes version is that after a minor setback last week, the White Sox’ veteran is progressing nicely.

“I was hitting real good all of last week and thought I was pretty much ready to go, but I had a little problem with tendinitis,” Thomas said. “They put some cortisone in there, try and cool off the hot spot.

“Running-wise, it’s still not up to par yet. It’s not the ankle, it’s tendinitis. I had my foot at a 90-degree angle in a cast for 7¨ months and it’s not responding. The scar tissue is broken, but tendinitis is the problem.”

You can read the rest at the Daily Herald's web-site.

MRKARNO
04-17-2005, 04:41 PM
Make him wait until he's running at 110%. We dont need him clogging up the basepaths. :D:

Nard
04-17-2005, 04:44 PM
More like 220%. Don't you guys remember Harold Reynold's awesome stats about how Frank is worthless unless he hits an HR?

Lip Man 1
04-17-2005, 05:31 PM
The way this offense is going right now they need his bat in the middle more then ever. If for no other reason then it pushes guys like Dye, Pierzinski and Roward further down in the order, making the order that much stronger.

Lip

MRKARNO
04-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Seriously, Frank needs to come back ASAP and demonstrate to this team by example how to be patient take a walk. His presence is needed immediately and if he can be back by Mid-May, I'll be thrilled.

Unregistered
04-17-2005, 05:49 PM
If Frank comes back and is even close to his former self, it will be a HUGE shot in the arm for the Sox. My confidence in this team will triple, especially considering Rotoworld and the rest of the reliable media outlets were convinced Frank was retiring instead of coming back at all.

fuzzy_patters
04-17-2005, 05:49 PM
The way this offense is going right now they need his bat in the middle more then ever. If for no other reason then it pushes guys like Dye, Pierzinski and Roward further down in the order, making the order that much stronger.

Lip

How does it push them down further in the order? If Frank is in the lineup, you have to take Everett out, which means that they are all still hitting in the same spots.

SoxxoS
04-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Considering Carl is probably our second best bat behind Thomas...I have no idea how Ozzie is going to work that. It would be sweet if Pods, Dye, Rowand or Everett can play freakin 3B, that I know for sure.

Unregistered
04-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Considering Carl is probably our second best bat behind Thomas...I have no idea how Ozzie is going to work that. It would be sweet if Pods, Dye, Rowand or Everett can play freakin 3B, that I know for sure.Dye is slowly becoming less valuable than Crede. If that's possible. I think maybe he should see how the bench fits his ass once Frank comes back...

Mickster
04-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Dye is slowly becoming less valuable than Crede. If that's possible. I think maybe he should see how the bench fits his ass once Frank comes back...

That holds true for any of the OF. If anyone is slumping, Crazy Carl to the rescue. The though of Carl regularly in the OF sends shudders down my spine.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Fuzzy:

Or as Frank himself said, Everett goes to the outfield.

Lip

RKMeibalane
04-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Fuzzy:

Or as Frank himself said, Everett goes to the outfield.

Lip

Agreed. And just so everyone understands, Frank has been watching the games. He knows who is hitting well (Everett) and who is struggling (Dye). More than that, he knows he can wipe the floor statistically with whomever he will replace in the lineup. Frank Thomas is still this team's best hitter, and as such, he will start. The other guys will be moved to make room him. End of story.

MRKARNO
04-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Agreed. And just so everyone understands, Frank has been watching the games. He knows who is hitting well (Everett) and who is struggling (Dye). More than that, he knows he can wipe the floor statistically with whomever he will replace in the lineup. Frank Thomas is still this team's best hitter, and as such, he will start. The other guys will be moved to make room him. End of story.

Once he comes back there's going to have to be an evaluation of who is hitting their weight and who is not. The major competition now seems to be between Dye and Podsednik as to who will be removed when Frank gets back. Dye's losing right now, but if he starts to hit well enough in the coming month, he may make it very difficult for Ozzie to take him out of the lineup. We havent seen that yet, but there's no reason to believe it cannot happen.

This team might get better for another reason when Frank gets back: fear of losing a starting spot. There just isnt room for Dye, Everett, Thomas, Rowand and Podsednik to all play at once. This increase competition can only mean good things for the Sox.

voodoochile
04-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Once he comes back there's going to have to be an evaluation of who is hitting their weight and who is not. The major competition now seems to be between Dye and Podsednik as to who will be removed when Frank gets back. Dye's losing right now, but if he starts to hit well enough in the coming month, he may make it very difficult for Ozzie to take him out of the lineup. We havent seen that yet, but there's no reason to believe it cannot happen.

This team might get better for another reason when Frank gets back: fear of losing a starting spot. There just isnt room for Dye, Everett, Thomas, Rowand and Podsednik to all play at once. This increase competition can only mean good things for the Sox.

Right, worst bat sits.

Good news about the tendinitus, at least I hope it is good news. I think that would mostly be a question of playing through the pain unless it makes it hard for him to push off for hitting or makes him unable to even jog.

RKMeibalane
04-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Right, worst bat sits.

Good news about the tendinitus, at least I hope it is good news. I think that would mostly be a question of playing through the pain unless it makes it hard for him to push off for hitting or makes him unable to even jog.

It seems as though the tendonitis is more of a problem when he tries to run. Frank himself said he was swinging the bat well. I'm not concerned about his hitting. I'm more concerned for lives of American League pitchers once he returns.

*Evil laugh*

MRKARNO
04-17-2005, 09:42 PM
It seems as though the tendonitis is more of a problem when he tries to run. Frank himself said he was swinging the bat well. I'm not concerned about his hitting. I'm more concerned for lives of American League pitchers once he returns.

*Evil laugh*

Seeing that he's going to be doing a lot more walking and trotting than running, he might as well come back now. :D:

mweflen
04-17-2005, 10:01 PM
With as brutal as Dye was today, I can't wait to see BFT back in pinstripes. Carl can play right.

Frater Perdurabo
04-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Voodoo is right; worst bat sits when Frank returns.

But if the first 12 games are an indication of things to come (and Pods returns healthy), it likely would be Dye who sits. Then the question is, do we want Carl in right field (with Rowand in right and Pods in center) or left field?

Here's your lineup:

Pods-Iguchi-Frank-Everett-Konerko-Rowand-AJ-Uribe-Crede

Baby Fisk
04-18-2005, 08:49 AM
Carl can play right.
I would have disputed this until recently. Dye is starting to make Kenny Lofton look like a good, assertive fielder. :(: What's the deal with Dye? Did he think the losses of Ordoñez and Lee guaranteed him a starting job? Maybe some time on the bench would straighten him out.