PDA

View Full Version : Jeter the new Jackie Robinson?!

patbooyah
04-17-2005, 02:29 PM
woah. (insiders only) (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=gillette_gary&id=2037972)

this espn insider article basically states that jeter is the modern day jackie rob. now, i'm not trying to be overly politically correct, but this seems to be one of the most shameful displays of obsession with the yankees i've seen. the entire article lists somewhat trivial similarities between the two men(see below) and talks about how both are very good middle infielders/hitters. it completely ignores the fact that JROB BROKE THE COLOR BARRIER! jeter has not experienced anything like that, and that is why i think the last line, which is "If any player today should wear Jackie Robinson's No. 42, it is Derek Jeter." to be completely mind-blowing. seriously. i can't believe ESPN would actually put this on their site.

Both players made immediate impacts as rookies on their teams, on their cities and on their leagues.

Both men played under intense pressure and unblinking, 24-7 scrutiny in the biggest media market in the world.

Both Robinson and Jeter were/are the ultimate competitors on the field.

If any player today should wear Jackie Robinson's No. 42, it is Derek Jeter.

samram
04-17-2005, 04:10 PM
I wonder if Derek has had to endure the wrath of the fandom of his own team, as well as most of the players in the league yelling racial epithets at him and trying to injure him. No? Oh, I guess making $15 million a year and dating hot babes comes close though.:rolleyes:

Fenway
04-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Outside of problems he had growing up in Michigan being taunted by both white and blacks because of his parents mixed marrage ........

I don't think Jeter has to worry about somebody in the stands trying to pick him off with a gun ( as Robinson did sadly )

TommyJohn
04-17-2005, 05:19 PM
woah. (insiders only) (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=gillette_gary&id=2037972)

this espn insider article basically states that jeter is the modern day jackie rob. now, i'm not trying to be overly politically correct, but this seems to be one of the most shameful displays of obsession with the yankees i've seen. the entire article lists somewhat trivial similarities between the two men(see below) and talks about how both are very good middle infielders/hitters. it completely ignores the fact that JROB BROKE THE COLOR BARRIER! jeter has not experienced anything like that, and that is why i think the last line, which is "If any player today should wear Jackie Robinson's No. 42, it is Derek Jeter." to be completely mind-blowing. seriously. i can't believe ESPN would actually put this on their site.

Are you purposely trying to make everyone on this board sick to their
stomachs? Those quotes you posted succeeded with me. What garbage.
I really cannot think of ANY player today that deserves comparison to
Robinson and all that he went through. Wait, maybe poor Barry Bonds.

Stroker Ace
04-17-2005, 06:08 PM
The Network has gone waaaaaaay too far with the yankee love with this one.

doublem23
04-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Speechless.

:o:

NonetheLoaiza
04-17-2005, 08:10 PM
That is a blatant disrespect to Jackie Robinson. To compare Jeter to him is beyond comprehension to me. Robinson had to overcome 800 times what Jeter had to overcome. It is sad that ESPN would let this article run.

HomeFish
04-17-2005, 08:37 PM
The Yankees already have a #42. Is this to be interpreted as an official loss of support for Rivera?

Sheesh, this is like Kremlinology.

RKMeibalane
04-17-2005, 08:38 PM
I wanted to puke reading that. How in the world can ESPN compare Derek Jeter to Jackie Robinson? The last time I checked, Derek Jeter's life was not in danger each time he stepped onto a baseball field. Derek Jeter has never been forced to stay in hotel or eat in a restaurant separate from his teammates. Derek Jeter has never had anyone throw at him or try to spike him because of his race.

Whomever wrote that article deserves to be fired. There are certain things that should never be printed because they're so absurd. That article is one of them.

Good grief!

RKMeibalane
04-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Furthermore...

Both players made immediate impacts as rookies on their teams, on their cities and on their leagues.

Both men played under intense pressure and unblinking, 24-7 scrutiny in the biggest media market in the world.

Both Robinson and Jeter were/are the ultimate competitors on the field.

If any player today should wear Jackie Robinson's No. 42, it is Derek Jeter.

...all of these things could be applied to Hideki Matsui. Are they going to compare him to Jackie Robinson, too? ESPN sucks!

Soxfest
04-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Poor Jeter........What a BS article

munchman33
04-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Seriously, someone needs to get fired over this. This is the most offensive piece of crap I've read in years.

spawn
04-18-2005, 08:29 AM
I don't know how to respond to this, other than I am completely disgusted. Derek Jeter hasn't had to come close to what Jackie Robinson had to endure. As someone has mentioned, this is completely disrespectful to Jackie, IMHO. You can't compare the two. Period.:angry:

Stroker Ace
04-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Seriously, someone needs to get fired over this. This is the most offensive piece of crap I've read in years.
Gotta agree with that. I hope whoever wrote this and whoever let this be published get the axe.