PDA

View Full Version : Sox Coverage on the 10pm News Last Night

Brian26
04-17-2005, 11:04 AM
I made it a point to watch the 10pm local news shows last night just out of curiousity to see how the Sox win would be covered.

On Channel 5, Peggy Kuzuinski (who, I swear to god looks like Skeletor at this point) ran the Cubs win in Pittsburgh first, followed by the Sox highlights. Ugh.

On Channel 7, Jeff Blanzy (sp?) ran the Sox highlights third(!) behind the Bulls and Cubs stuff. Blanzy also looked like he didn't do his homework, as he announced that the Sox crowd was over 40,000. WHAT?! I'll give credit to Ch. 7 though- even though the Sox went last, they spent more time on them and ran comments from PK, Widger and Buehrle.

I still don't get how that pitching performance doesn't warrant the lead story on both sports segments. Pathetic.

C-Dawg
04-17-2005, 12:13 PM
as he announced that the Sox crowd was over 40,000. WHAT?!

I heard that thing about the 40,000 too; I thought maybe my ears were deceiving me.

Oh well, even though he covered the Sox last, at least they dwelled on the Sox for a lot longer than they usually do. I agree that an awesome pitching performance at HOME should be treated as a top story (the Bulls comeback victory was pretty cool too, but the Cubs and their careless, sloppy victory wasn't in my opinion).

NonetheLoaiza
04-17-2005, 12:37 PM
It just confuses me how they don't run with Buehrle's performance first. But then again, what else is new?

fusillirob1983
04-17-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't agree with the Cubs coverage going before the Sox, but like someone said, at least they gave more time to the Sox. However, I don't disagree with the Bulls being covered first. They've doubled their win total from last season and are busy locking up home-court in the first round of the playoffs.

MRKARNO
04-17-2005, 01:17 PM
At least the Tribune recognized what was really newsworthy and featured the White Sox.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Perhaps it was because it was an afternoon game that was the lead on the early evening newscasts?

Since the Bulls /Cub games were at night those were the 'freshest' stories and would probably go first. I understand that line of reasoning.

Now if Mark threw a no hitter or something like that it certainly would have been the lead on both the early evening and late night newscasts.

To get a true read on this you would have had to watch both newscasts say at 6 and at 10 to get a better idea.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
04-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Perhaps it was because it was an afternoon game that was the lead on the early evening newscasts?

Sorry, but this is just excuse making. If Kerry Wood had mowed down everything in his path at the Urinal in just 1 hour 39 minutes, not only would it have led off the 10 pm sportscast, it probably would have led the entire newscast at 10 pm, too. Hell, they probably would have been doing teasers about it all night long during prime time, too. "Kerry Woods mows 'em down! News at 10!"

The Chicago media buried the Buehrle story because the Sox are second-class citizens in Chicago. For further reasons why this is true, see my post below.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-17-2005, 02:28 PM
It just confuses me how they don't run with Buehrle's performance first. But then again, what else is new?

The explanation isn't too hard to understand.

When it comes to the media's priorities, it's all about RATINGS. There simply aren't enough Sox Fans to make Buehrle's performance worthy of top billing.

So instead the media runs with the Bulls... or the Flubs... or some meaningless off-season quotes gathered outside Halas Hall from some 300 lb. idiot who can't even speak a coherent sentence of English (drafted after getting his edukashun from Big State University and being named to the first team of The Big-Dumb Conference, of course).

Until there are enough Sox Fans to make reporting about the Sox more important than reporting about the latest Cubs road loss, or the latest meaningless Bulls late-season win, or even the latest nothingness coming from Bears Camp or Illini Camp or even DePaul Camp (!), the Sox will get undercard billing.

Of course this concept completely escapes idiots who blame Sox Fans for this predicament. They're the exact same people who would blame the victim for the actions of a rapist. Nothing but ****ing idiots... either that or crossdressing Flubs fans. Take your pick.
:cool:

Brian26
04-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Perhaps it was because it was an afternoon game that was the lead on the early evening newscasts?.....To get a true read on this you would have had to watch both newscasts say at 6 and at 10 to get a better idea.

Lip

You're not secretly a fan of the northside crybabies are you?

Any story worthy of leading the sports at 6pm is worthy of leading the 10pm segments too. That was one of the most amazing pitching performances of this decade. Truly, utterly pathetic. The Sox were treated like a minor league team last night on the news.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Brian:

I can only tell you from personal, professional experience that is not the case.

The matra is 'new.' People who watch the sports at six do not want to see the exact same thing at ten. It needs to be changed and generally the rule of thumb is the games at night take the top slot. I don't automatically agree with this because it depends on the event, and the significance of it but ask most news directors and you'll get that as an answer. (I'm assuming the Sox game led at five or six in these comments.)

This is true even from the sports at five to the sports at six. (Which is something I had to work out when the station I worked for had the sports at 5:20, 6:20 and 10:20.)

Mark Buehrle pitched a terriffic game but what was the significance? Did it clinch the pennant? Was it a no-hitter? Did he set a strikeout record? He pitched an April game in 99 minutes...certainly note worthy but as the lead story in all cases?

I'm a Sox fan but if I was in that situation I probably would have led with the Bulls at ten because they are fighting to clinch home court in their first playoff series in seven years.

Just my opinion.

Lip

DumpJerry
04-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Sorry, but this is just excuse making. If Kerry Wood had mowed down everything in his path at the Urinal in just 1 hour 39 minutes, not only would it have led off the 10 pm sportscast, it probably would have led the entire newscast at 10 pm, too. Hell, they probably would have been doing teasers about it all night long during prime time, too. "Kerry Woods mows 'em down! News at 10!"

The Chicago media buried the Buehrle story because the Sox are second-class citizens in Chicago. For further reasons why this is true, see my post below.
Come on PHG, you know better. They would have brought that Stone guy here for a 2 hour special Dateline on NBC to re-live the game. Followed up with a town meeting to discuss how it (the game) improved everyone's lives including curing no less than six cases of incurable cancer.

ooops.....forgot where the teal is located.....or did I?

Ol' No. 2
04-18-2005, 10:41 AM

When it comes to the media's priorities, it's all about RATINGS. There simply aren't enough Sox Fans to make Buehrle's performance worthy of top billing.

So instead the media runs with the Bulls... or the Flubs... or some meaningless off-season quotes gathered outside Halas Hall from some 300 lb. idiot who can't even speak a coherent sentence of English (drafted after getting his edukashun from Big State University and being named to the first team of The Big-Dumb Conference, of course).

Until there are enough Sox Fans to make reporting about the Sox more important than reporting about the latest Cubs road loss, or the latest meaningless Bulls late-season win, or even the latest nothingness coming from Bears Camp or Illini Camp or even DePaul Camp (!), the Sox will get undercard billing.

Of course this concept completely escapes idiots who blame Sox Fans for this predicament. They're the exact same people who would blame the victim for the actions of a rapist. Nothing but ****ing idiots... either that or crossdressing Flubs fans. Take your pick.
:cool:Maybe it's just a small sample size, but where I live (Western Burbs) I'm seeing a lot more people wearing Sox stuff lately. A couple of years ago, EVERYBODY was wearing Cubs gear. But over the last week or so I'd have to say I'm seeing MORE people wearing Sox gear than Cubs gear.:o::o:

Can this be far behind?

http://stonegiant.com/Politics/frozen_hell.jpg

LauraJ14
04-18-2005, 12:01 PM

Until there are enough Sox Fans to make reporting about the Sox more important than reporting about the latest Cubs road loss, or the latest meaningless Bulls late-season win, :cool:

I don't know about you, but the Bulls winning a game late in the season so that they may have home-court in the first round of the play-offs is a bigger story right now than either the Sox or Cubs. Its been 7 long, horrible years and no one expected this team to even make the play-offs so if they want to lead on the sports with the Bulls, I won't be complaining.

Brian26
04-18-2005, 12:34 PM
I don't know about you, but the Bulls winning a game late in the season so that they may have home-court in the first round of the play-offs is a bigger story right now than either the Sox or Cubs.

Disagree completely on this one- Mark Buehrle's pitching performance was a masterpiece.

But, all things aside, even if they ran with the Bulls as the first story, the Sox should have been 2nd (before the Cubs) on every station in town.

soxstarter
04-18-2005, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=DumpJerry]Come on PHG, you know better. They would have brought that Stone guy here for a 2 hour special Dateline on NBC to re-live the game. Followed up with a town meeting to discuss how it (the game) improved everyone's lives including curing no less than six cases of incurable cancer.

:wired: Laughing Way to Loud!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-18-2005, 01:19 PM
I don't know about you, but the Bulls winning a game late in the season so that they may have home-court in the first round of the play-offs is a bigger story right now than either the Sox or Cubs. Its been 7 long, horrible years and no one expected this team to even make the play-offs so if they want to lead on the sports with the Bulls, I won't be complaining.

Okay, let me make sure I understand. The Bulls have already clinched a berth in the playoffs and will definitely face the Washington Wizards. The only thing of consequence left to decide before the playoff series begins with Washington is who will enjoy home court advantage if the series goes a full five games?

That's what you think is more noteworthy than Buehrle wiping out Seattle in 1 hour 39 minutes?
:?:

Have either the Bulls or Wizards shown anything to suggest they can handle Miami, most certainly their second round opponent? Will home court in Game 5 of Round 1 make any difference once Shaq comes to town in Round 2?
:o:

I'm sorry, but this is make-believe excitement, the type the NFL and NBA specialize in. The Bulls won't play another important game until the playoffs start and the party figures to be a very short one.

Hangar18
04-18-2005, 01:26 PM
I don't know about you, but the Bulls winning a game...........is a bigger story right now than..... the Sox. Its been 7 long, horrible years and no one expected this team to even make the play-offs so if they want to lead on the sports with the Bulls, I won't be complaining.

I remember in 2000, when the SOX had a terrific April and were playing lights out, in 1st Place by a ton, and it had also been 7 long, horrible years and no one expected that team to even make the playo-offs also, and the lead story
was the cubs, the cubs, and what was wrong with the cubs. I was complaining plenty. In this town, any excuse to not show the SOX is reason enough.

PatK
04-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Mark's performance was good enough where it should have been mentioned more, or at least first.

You can make all the "what did that win get them?" excuses you want, but I know of a 20 strikeout game that still gets mentioned.

SOXSINCE'70
04-18-2005, 02:35 PM
I remember in 2000, when the SOX had a terrific April and were playing lights out, in 1st Place by a ton, and it had also been 7 long, horrible years and no one expected that team to even make the playo-offs also, and the lead story
was the cubs, the cubs, and what was wrong with the cubs. I was complaining plenty. In this town, any excuse to not show the SOX is reason enough.

The sad part is this:The Sox could win 5 AL Central titles,
(advancing to the ALCS each time),make WS appearances 3 of
those 5 times, and still the first story on the 5:20,6:20 and 10:20
sports will be the sCrUBS.They have more fans,or so the media wants
their viewers to believe.I became a Sox fan because,in my mind,it was a
way to say "F'You!" to the sCrUBbie Kool Aid drinkers.The Sox weren't
pretty boys.They weren't trendy.Being a Sox fan was like belonging to an
exclusive club (some say it still is).It was a lot easier for me to deal
with this situation before sports radio,i'll tell you that much.