PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Bars

Knockoutinthepar
04-17-2005, 01:17 AM
I'm looking for new places on the South Side to catch games. Places where the red 'C' isn't welcomed and the game itself is actually the focus of attention.

Any suggestions?

minastirith67
04-17-2005, 01:40 AM
Jimbo's is as Sox as they come.

Btw, nice pic in your sig. Bloomsday isn't too far off now.

hose
04-17-2005, 06:49 AM
I'm looking for new places on the South Side to catch games. Places where the red 'C' isn't welcomed and the game itself is actually the focus of attention.

Any suggestions?

This is right up Hanger 18's alley.:tongue:

nasox
04-17-2005, 08:51 AM
This is right up Hanger 18's alley.:tongue:

Pretty much where Hangar is is where the places you are looking for are.

Clembasbal
04-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Pretty much where Hangar is is where the places you are looking for are.

Probably, but to me there seem to be a lot of stories that mention, "SO I was at a bar and this sCrUB fan was there."

But that was more last year I guess.

ClaudelSleptHere
04-17-2005, 08:58 AM
Do you have to be 21 to get into bars in Illinois? I'm bringing my 19 year old son later in the season.

Realist
04-17-2005, 09:22 AM
Not to semi-highjack the thread, but recently someone made a thread asking where some Sox bars might be in Lincoln Park. Three members of Lucky Strike's (Lincoln and Diversey) stopped into the bar I run - Nick's Uptown (Irving and Sheridan) - and they were all dolled up in Sox stuff. They told me that they just installed their Sox flags in the front of the bar and they are a completely Sox fan friendly bar.
I ain't been to Lucky Strike's yet. I'm just going by what their staff told me.

As for the topic at hand, there's a cool bar that I believe is on Pershing called Cobblestones that's relatively close to Sox park that's pretty cool. You can park in their lot for $9 and then they give you $9 in tokens that you can use to buy food and drink in their establishment. My cousin turned me on to the place last season and I think it's definitely worth checking out.

skottyj242
04-18-2005, 10:20 AM
I've watched a couple of games at Lottie's this year, which is on Cortland just east of Damen and it's been a pretty good crowd. If you're looking for places on the southside just go anywhere on Western and you'll be all right, or check out Quigley's on 111th and Pulaski, it's the old Reilley's Daughter.

CHISOXFAN13
04-18-2005, 10:37 AM
I've watched a couple of games at Lottie's this year, which is on Cortland just east of Damen and it's been a pretty good crowd. If you're looking for places on the southside just go anywhere on Western and you'll be all right, or check out Quigley's on 111th and Pulaski, it's the old Reilley's Daughter.

Also can't go wrong with TC's Pub in Oak Lawn. Willsy would certainly agree.

alohafri
04-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Not to semi-highjack the thread, but recently someone made a thread asking where some Sox bars might be in Lincoln Park. Three members of Lucky Strike's (Lincoln and Diversey) stopped into the bar I run - Nick's Uptown (Irving and Sheridan) - and they were all dolled up in Sox stuff. They told me that they just installed their Sox flags in the front of the bar and they are a completely Sox fan friendly bar.
I ain't been to Lucky Strike's yet. I'm just going by what their staff told me.

As for the topic at hand, there's a cool bar that I believe is on Pershing called Cobblestones that's relatively close to Sox park that's pretty cool. You can park in their lot for $9 and then they give you $9 in tokens that you can use to buy food and drink in their establishment. My cousin turned me on to the place last season and I think it's definitely worth checking out.

Cobblestones is great. I haven't been there in awhile, but if Jimmy is still there, he is a fountain of Sox trivia. The only one who could beat our own Torn Labrum in White Sox trivia.

maurice
04-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Not to semi-highjack the thread, but recently someone made a thread asking where some Sox bars might be in Lincoln Park. Three members of Lucky Strike's (Lincoln and Diversey) stopped into the bar I run - Nick's Uptown (Irving and Sheridan) - and they were all dolled up in Sox stuff. They told me that they just installed their Sox flags in the front of the bar and they are a completely Sox fan friendly bar. I ain't been to Lucky Strike's yet. I'm just going by what their staff told me.

On a somewhat related note, I drove past the UofC on Saturday and noticed signage for a rather large, new Lucky Strike's. Looks like they're opening another on the South Side.

Hangar18
04-18-2005, 10:51 AM

Any suggestions?

Heh heh, I can help hopefully. Where exactly on the SouthSide
are you looking? Give me some Coordinates ..... and im sure members
of SOX ARMY can help.

wildcat
04-18-2005, 11:03 AM
On a somewhat related note, I drove past the UofC on Saturday and noticed signage for a rather large, new Lucky Strike's. Looks like they're opening another on the South Side.

If you're talking about the one on 55th Street, it's been there for at least a year. I think it's populated mostly with U of C kids, who (in my experience) tend to be somewhat ambivalent about baseball. In any case, there shouldn't be many Cubs fans around.

04-18-2005, 11:08 AM
McNallys on 112th and Western...not only is it a HUGE Sox Bar, it is the biggest Cub Hater bar in the city....they always have the Cubs game on because if the team the scrubs are playing hits a HR, then everyone gets a free drink (Day game only)...

patbooyah
04-18-2005, 11:19 AM
any suggestions in los angeles? :cool:

Hangar18
04-18-2005, 11:27 AM
any suggestions in los angeles? :cool:

My goal is to move to LA, and open a White Sox bar ...... :smile:

skottyj242
04-18-2005, 11:32 AM
It's important to have goals in life.

LVSoxFan
04-18-2005, 11:36 AM
I'll have to check out Lucky Strike; I used to be a regular there but I had no idea it was a Sox bar.

In Lincoln Park, no less! Miracle of miracles!

LongLiveFisk
04-18-2005, 11:44 AM
McNallys on 112th and Western...not only is it a HUGE Sox Bar, it is the biggest Cub Hater bar in the city....they always have the Cubs game on because if the team the scrubs are playing hits a HR, then everyone gets a free drink (Day game only)...

:roflmao:
I DEFINITELY have to check this place out.

FRANK FORT
04-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Hey, I've Been Reading For Years, Just Registered Today. "tom's Place" In Lemont Has Some Nice Cubs Suck Signs Behind The Register. The After Work Crowd Is Decidedly Anti-cub. I've Heard That The "post-game Pub" In Mokena Is Also Pro-sox / Anti-cub. Finally, The "old Plank Road Tavern" In Frankfort Has A Nice "cubs Suck Hat" Behind The Bar.

FRANK FORT
04-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Also, Jimmy no longer works at Cobblestones. From what I understand he was let go for giving a free drink when a free drink was called for, and for garnering too much well deserved attention. Still, all in all, it's a nice bar with some nice pictures of Old Comiskey.

doogiec
04-18-2005, 11:51 AM

You could just open up a bar in Anaheim and pretend you're in LA, seems to be the trend nowadays....

Foulke You
04-18-2005, 11:53 AM
You could just open up a bar in Anaheim and pretend you're in LA, seems to be the trend nowadays....
"The Los Angeles Hangar 18 Chicago White Sox Bar of Anaheim" Has a nice ring to it don't you think? :tongue:

skottyj242
04-18-2005, 11:55 AM
I'll have to check out Lucky Strike; I used to be a regular there but I had no idea it was a Sox bar.

I know a girl that used to work at the other bowling alley, Southport Lanes right up the street and that's a pretty Sox friendly bar. The "bowling" if you want to call it that sucks at both places in case anyone was wondering.

nasox
04-18-2005, 12:02 PM
"The Los Angeles Hangar 18 Chicago White Sox Bar of Anaheim" Has a nice ring to it don't you think? :tongue:

.....presented by U.S. Cellular! :D:

Knockoutinthepar
04-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Heh heh, I can help hopefully. Where exactly on the SouthSide
are you looking? Give me some Coordinates ..... and im sure members
of SOX ARMY can help.

I'm in Pilsen (19th and Damen to be somewhat exact), but I'll head out anywhere in Chicago proper.

UofCSoxFan
04-18-2005, 12:20 PM
The Bullpen Sports Bar located at 35th and Shields is usually full of Sox Fans during games

VivaOzzie
04-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Do you have to be 21 to get into bars in Illinois? I'm bringing my 19 year old son later in the season.

Yep, for most bars you have to be 21, but thats usually only after a certain time, like after 6 or sometimes 9. He should be ok to get in during the day. The only bars that are 19 and up are in college towns, to get the young-ins into the bar and let the 21 year-olds buy the liquor! :gulp:

mjharrison72
04-18-2005, 02:12 PM

This is great news to me, as well... moving from DC to somewhere on the north side. In DC, not only are there no Sox bars, but there are no bowling alleys (except in the suburbs).
I went to a sports bar last Sunday when the Sox-Twins were on ESPN, and I asked the guy if he could put on the WHITE Sox game, and he started scrolling through the satellite channels looking for the Red Sox. I say "No, the WHITE Sox...it's on ESPN," and he keeps flipping... "the Red Sox and WHO?" Pretty typical reaction here, so it will be good to get back home.

skottyj242
04-18-2005, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't call Lucky Strike a bowling alley, it's more of a bar that has a couple of really old and dry lanes. If I remember they only got automatic pin setters a couple of years ago, they used to have guys actually pick them up and set them by hand.

Sargeant79
04-18-2005, 02:21 PM
These are some of the ones near the ballpark that I'll sometimes wind up at during games:

Jimbo's - 33rd & Princeton - classic Sox bar

Schaller's Pump - 37th & Halsted - full bar, and kick&$% burgers

First Base - 32nd & Normal - tiny little neighborhood bar

Puffer's - 33rd & Halsted - pretty good spot on weekend nights even if there aren't any games

Catcher's - 35th & Lituanica (1 block west of Halsted) - usually not very crowded

Fenway
04-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Monsignor Murphy's on the northside is an American League bar

White ( and Red ) Sox, Yankees no Cubs on big screens

3019 North Broadway

Chicago, IL 60657

773-348-7285

chisoxmike
04-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Whats the bar called on 39th and Union?

The Racehorse
04-18-2005, 02:27 PM

Have you thought of a name yet? If so, are you willing to share it?

Sox Park West maybe?
:cheers:
or of course, Hangar18?

FRANK FORT
04-18-2005, 03:46 PM
There's "Shinnick's" at 38th and Union, i'm pretty sure.

hdog1017
04-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Shinnick's is good. They have a wall dedicated to Old Mayor Daley. Plus the beer is not outrageously priced.

npdempse
04-19-2005, 01:04 AM
If you're talking about the one on 55th Street, it's been there for at least a year. I think it's populated mostly with U of C kids, who (in my experience) tend to be somewhat ambivalent about baseball. In any case, there shouldn't be many Cubs fans around.

That place has about a 50/50 split of students and folks from the surrounding neighborhoods. And you're right that not many U of C kids are hip to the Sox or baseball, but I'm trying to spread the Sox gospel as best I can--bringing a dozen of my students to a game next month.

More on topic, I'm partial to Puffer's--good beer, fairly clean place, nice staff, plenty of TVs to watch the game. And I've heard, but haven't seen in person, that they have free bbq during games.

Another place I was happy to run into a bunch of Sox fans is Tuffano's, a great Italian place a bit out of the way up by UIC (north of the whole Taylor St. thing, tucked into the neighborhood).

indysoxfan
04-19-2005, 02:54 AM
Hey, I've Been Reading For Years, Just Registered Today. "tom's Place" In Lemont Has Some Nice Cubs Suck Signs Behind The Register. The After Work Crowd Is Decidedly Anti-cub. I've Heard That The "post-game Pub" In Mokena Is Also Pro-sox / Anti-cub. Finally, The "old Plank Road Tavern" In Frankfort Has A Nice "cubs Suck Hat" Behind The Bar.

Tom's Place is my favorite Sox bar....:gulp: