PDA

View Full Version : Svengoolie a Sox fan?

mealfred13
04-17-2005, 01:20 AM
I happened to be watching Ghost Busters II on Svengoolie just now and Svengoolie made a pretty amusing crack at the Urinal.

It was the part of the movie where 3 of the Ghostbusters fall into the river of slime under the city and end up coming out of a manhole in front of the museum. One of the guys then says "And the river flows right to this spot...."

They then cut to Svengoolie where he cracked "Wrigley Field!".

I thought it was pretty unexpected and amusing so I figured I'd share...hahaha.

TDog
04-17-2005, 02:03 AM
I don't know anything about the person you call Svengoolie, except that he is the person who used to be called Son of Svengoolie before the original Svengoolie, the host of Screaming Yellow Theater, which generally aired immediately after the Friday night Sox games in the summer, gave blessing to his use of the name.

I do know that the original, in the early 1970s, acted the part of a Sox fan. In response to Sox-or-Cubs? letter from a fan, he said he was a Sox fan because his favorite player was Carlos May (an excuse for a joke book title: How to get 10 Percent Off Manicures). In the days when the White Sox rotation had a pitcher who was starting almost 50 games a year, he said he was going to show "The Chicago White Sox Story," aka "I'll Pitch If Wilbur Wood."

It may have helped that he was on channel 32, which broadcast the Sox at the time, but those were great Friday nights when I was a kid. Pat Kelly and Jay Johnstone were even guest coffin openers in 1972. Chet Coppock, at the pinnacle of his career, was doing news briefs once or twice during SYT, and Svengoolie introduced him as Chet Cockpit and Coldcut and such. Great, Sox-centric childhood memories.

I was disappointed to see the original Svengoolie, Jerry G. Bishop, has a restaurant in San Diego that has Cubs memoribilia displayed.

Banix12
04-17-2005, 05:39 AM
i don't know what Svengoolie's (Rich Koz) affiliation is, though I know he has appeared at the Cell a few times in character to throw out the first pitch. I wouldn't be suprised if he were a Sox fan.

mealfred13
04-17-2005, 07:31 AM
I don't know anything about the person you call Svengoolie, except that he is the person who used to be called Son of Svengoolie before the original Svengoolie, the host of Screaming Yellow Theater, which generally aired immediately after the Friday night Sox games in the summer, gave blessing to his use of the name.

I do know that the original, in the early 1970s, acted the part of a Sox fan. In response to Sox-or-Cubs? letter from a fan, he said he was a Sox fan because his favorite player was Carlos May (an excuse for a joke book title: How to get 10 Percent Off Manicures). In the days when the White Sox rotation had a pitcher who was starting almost 50 games a year, he said he was going to show "The Chicago White Sox Story," aka "I'll Pitch If Wilbur Wood."

It may have helped that he was on channel 32, which broadcast the Sox at the time, but those were great Friday nights when I was a kid. Pat Kelly and Jay Johnstone were even guest coffin openers in 1972. Chet Coppock, at the pinnacle of his career, was doing news briefs once or twice during SYT, and Svengoolie introduced him as Chet Cockpit and Coldcut and such. Great, Sox-centric childhood memories.

I was disappointed to see the original Svengoolie, Jerry G. Bishop, has a restaurant in San Diego that has Cubs memoribilia displayed.

Great info, from Alaska no less! Sheds some light on the reasoning behind my dad calling him Son of Svengoolie every now and then.:wink:

mealfred13
04-17-2005, 07:32 AM
i don't know what Svengoolie's (Rich Koz) affiliation is, though I know he has appeared at the Cell a few times in character to throw out the first pitch. I wouldn't be suprised if he were a Sox fan.

I didn't know he's thrown out pitches for us. I haven't heard of him singing at the Urinal during the 7th inning stretch, so it looks like we might have another, albeit not very huge, celebrity Sox fan on our hands, eh?

Whitesox029
04-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Koz does Stooge-a-palooza on Saturdays too, only without the costume. Good that we have another celebrity fan, even if he is a bit obscure.

BearSox
04-17-2005, 11:47 AM
I remember Koz back to when I was in elementary school and he hosted the channel 32 afterschool cartoons show called The Koz Zone. I haven't seen much svengoolie stuff, but does he still throw in the Berwyn jokes nowadays?

chisoxmike
04-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Glad to hear that I wasn't the only one watching that last night. :smile:

Gosox1917
04-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Haha, I heard that remark about the Urinal as well. Made me laugh.

P.S. Ghostbusters 2 is a great movie.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2005, 02:12 PM
As I was going to Brother Rice high school in the early 70's, I had the chance to get to know Chet who was doing the house announcing at the International Amphitheater for the Chicago Cougars of the late WHA. I told him I wanted to get into sports broadcasting so he invited me down to Marina City which is where the WFLD-TV studios were then for a tour.

When I saw Svengoolie's coffin it was a real thrill. The wild paint job and the bizarre setting was perfect for this 16 year old or so! Ahhh the good old days with rubber chicken jokes and cracks about Berwyn (Berwyn? Berwyn? Berwyn? Edwin!)

Chet was a big guy and in those days everyone wore platform shoes so he was like 6-9 or 6-10 with them on.

Lip

SOXintheBURGH
04-17-2005, 03:03 PM
Didn't Koz also have a children's programming block called the Koz-Zone?

Banix12
04-17-2005, 06:21 PM

Yeah, back when things like Tiny Toon Adventures were on

Navaro's Talent
04-17-2005, 06:27 PM
I saw that too. It was really funny.

Svengoolie was at a game early in the year last season. I remember for one of his shows, he showed him interviewing some of the sox players. He interviewed Ozzie too and got him to say, "The U's got it." Ozzie had no idea what that meant, though. He shrugged his shoulders after saying it and had a somewhat confused look on his face. :D:

mealfred13
04-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Glad to hear that I wasn't the only one watching that last night. :smile:

Yeah I'm a bit of a night-owl. And how could I resist a good re-run of Ghostbusters II. The Wrigley Field comment was just bonus..hehe.

popilius
04-17-2005, 08:43 PM
I happened to be watching Ghost Busters II on Svengoolie just now and Svengoolie made a pretty amusing crack at the Urinal.

It was the part of the movie where 3 of the Ghostbusters fall into the river of slime under the city and end up coming out of a manhole in front of the museum. One of the guys then says "And the river flows right to this spot...."

They then cut to Svengoolie where he cracked "Wrigley Field!".

I thought it was pretty unexpected and amusing so I figured I'd share...hahaha.

I caught that too! It was pretty funny. The entire comment was when somebody said the slime was accumulating under a site of "PURE EVIL!"

Svengoolie then said- "you mean Wrigely Field?!"

I've seen Koz at Sox games in the past, complete with his Svengoolie outfit on.

:gulp:

TDog
04-18-2005, 12:26 AM
It sounds like the new Svengoolie gets better movies, in any case. I remember staying up to watch movies like "The Screaming Skull" and "Terror from the Year 5000."

Banix12
04-18-2005, 01:08 AM
It sounds like the new Svengoolie gets better movies, in any case. I remember staying up to watch movies like "The Screaming Skull" and "Terror from the Year 5000."

He still has those too, but mixes in a decent one once and awhile. I think I saw "the screaming skull" on sale at a store the other day for a $1.50.

Sad
04-18-2005, 12:34 PM

yeah he's got some quality cheese in the old vault for sure...

CorkNKerrys
04-18-2005, 04:05 PM

He sure did. The Koz-Zone also ran 3 Stooges shorts for awhile, too.

I know Rich Koz. Trust me, he's a big White Sox fan.

mweflen
04-18-2005, 04:10 PM
I loved the Koz Zone. Svengoolie is cool, too.

Just from watching him and hearing him talk, I would have assumed he's a Sox fan. He just seems too South Side and "Old Chicago" to not be.

Nellie_Fox
04-18-2005, 05:30 PM
The early 70s "Screaming Yellow Theater" Svengoolie was Jerry G. Bishop. Rich Koz became Son of Svengoolie when he brought the character back later.

slavko
04-18-2005, 10:59 PM
I remember the Jerry G. Bishop Svengoolie appearing at Bat Day to pass out bats (the other kind, stupid) and leaving after being photographed, before the game started.