PDA

View Full Version : Mark Mulder's Health???

SpartanSoxFan
04-16-2005, 09:24 PM
I don't know how many of you have been paying close attention, but I think something is seriously wrong with Mark Mulder of the St. Louis Cardinals. I have him on my fantasy team, so I have been paying particularly close attention to his struggles thus far.

From Fanball.com:

Apr 14 Cardinals' pitcher Mark Mulder pitched five innings, allowing six runs on 11 hits against the Reds Wednesday. "At certain times with two outs I made some bad pitches over the middle of the plate," Mulder told the Associated Press. "It's not something I'm thinking about when I'm out there but it happened both times today. You've got to execute a little better and make better pitches."
Views: Over Mulder's last seven starts last year, he was 0-4 with a 7.27 ERA. Through two games this season, he's winless with an 8.18 ERA. Something is seriously going on here. It's hard to fathom, but Mulder's given up 20 hits in 11 innings, leaving him with a 2.18 WHIP. This can't be what the Cards were expecting when they brought him in. If nothing else, Mulder's making Athletics general manager Billy Beane look like Albert Einstein. Since Mulder probably cost you a Tommy John surgery and a torn meniscus, keep him in your starting rotation and pray there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

What do you guys think? Are we going to see him on the DL sometime in the near future??? :(:

samram
04-16-2005, 09:43 PM
I don't know how serious an injury it is, but I don't see a feasible alternative explanation. I can't imagine he just lost whatever he had going for four months last season and several seasons before that.

ranger_bob
04-16-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure if he's hurt or if his mechanics are just out of whack. Either way, so far it looks like the A's fleeced the Cardinals on this one.

ChiSoxRowand
04-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Remember, he was horrible the last month of the season last year too. Maybe something is wrong with him.

MrRoboto83
04-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Remember, he was horrible the last month of the season last year too. Maybe something is wrong with him.

I'm sure Billy Beane already knew about Moulders problems, that is why he is not with Oakland anymore, just like he did with Billy Koch

doublem23
04-17-2005, 12:56 AM
I'm sure Billy Beane already knew about Moulders problems, that is why he is not with Oakland anymore, just like he did with Billy Koch

No, I think it's mostly because Billy Beane just isn't a good GM.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/041223_beane.jpg
Remember team... Always play for tomorrow.

MrRoboto83
04-17-2005, 01:39 AM

I disagree, I think he is a great GM

MHOUSE
04-17-2005, 01:56 AM
When I heard about the Mulder trade, the first thing I said to all of the loopy Cardinal fans around here (I go to school in Missouri) was: Billy Koch. Mulder logged a lot of innings the last few seasons and it seemed like it finally caught up with him at the end of last year and has carried over to the start of this season. I would not be surprised in the least to see him land on the DL in the next month with shoulder soreness or some other vague arm injury.

It would be just like Beane to overwork someone and then deal them the second that they started to slip, but their value was still high. It's great business strategy, but it screws over the other teams. Danny Haren and Kiko Calero are both stud pitchers so the Cards might end up on the short end of this one.

Stroker Ace
04-17-2005, 02:14 AM

I don't know. I've heard that there is a reason why Koch blew as a Sox pitcher.

gosox41
04-17-2005, 08:19 AM
When I heard about the Mulder trade, the first thing I said to all of the loopy Cardinal fans around here (I go to school in Missouri) was: Billy Koch. Mulder logged a lot of innings the last few seasons and it seemed like it finally caught up with him at the end of last year and has carried over to the start of this season. I would not be surprised in the least to see him land on the DL in the next month with shoulder soreness or some other vague arm injury.

It would be just like Beane to overwork someone and then deal them the second that they started to slip, but their value was still high. It's great business strategy, but it screws over the other teams. Danny Haren and Kiko Calero are both stud pitchers so the Cards might end up on the short end of this one.

It follows the old baseball saying of 'Better to trade a guy a year to early then a year too late.'

Bob

nasox
04-17-2005, 08:35 AM

:tealpolice:

Wsoxmike59
04-17-2005, 09:12 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. I have him in my Fantasy league too, and now it looks like I may have drafted him too high. (5th round)

depy48
04-17-2005, 10:49 AM
we dont need another thread dedicated to debate of whether billy beane is a good GM or not...