PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Sox and Twins will run away with the division?

gogosoxtimebaby
04-16-2005, 07:35 PM
I will make a poll too.

peeonwrigley
04-16-2005, 07:54 PM
I think its too early to tell, although as of now all signs point to yes. I voted "no" just because I want to see how well the Sox play Detroit and also if we can beat CC once he gets back for the Injuns.

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2005, 07:55 PM
I think that the Tribe and Tigers will hang around. But it will come down to Sox vs. Twins. By teh end of August, everyone will know the real contenders in this division.

gobears1987
04-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Here's a better question, HOw long can the Twinks hold on without Silva? :)

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Here's a better question, HOw long can the Twinks hold on without Silva?

Knowing the Twins, I'm guessing pretty long.

peeonwrigley
04-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Knowing the Twins, I'm guessing pretty long.

Yeah, those MFers will be there until the end. There is no precedent that says otherwise, injuries or not.

gobears1987
04-16-2005, 08:09 PM
I hate to say it, but I agree with your assessment. Frank's return will help. I think we can win this, but it won't be a run away race. Let's just say that it looks like the Wild Card may come from the Central this year.

balke
04-16-2005, 08:43 PM
When (if) Sabathia comes back healthy, Cleveland will probably get into a rhythm. I think Sox/Twinks will finish 1-2 but I don't think Indians will be far behind. I still don't know what I think of the Tigers. W/o Maggs or solid pitching they aren't very scary. But who knows, they still have a ton of hitting, and are willing to spend money to win if necessary.

ChiSox7
04-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Here's a better question, HOw long can the Twinks hold on without Silva?

Considering Silva is scheduled to pitch next Friday, I'd figure they wouldn't have to hold on very long.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Twins brought up Gassner to fill in for Silva and he beat the Indians today. They're always able to contend, even when they do lose a player. I've thought all offseason long that it'd end up between the Sox and Twins. The Indians remind me too much of the White Sox of the past few years, a few decent starters(Sabathia when healthy, Westbrook, Milwood) and their offense lives and dies with the long ball.

RKMeibalane
04-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Can we forget about the Twins already? Sheesh! The last time I checked, there were 162 games in a baseball season. The Sox play the Twins in only nineteen of those. That means 143 are played against other teams. Let's worry about the big picture here, folks. Sheesh!

santo=dorf
04-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Can we forget about the Twins already? Sheesh! The last time I checked, there were 162 games in a baseball season. The Sox play the Twins in only nineteen of those. That means 143 are played against other teams. Let's worry about the big picture here, folks. Sheesh!

Yeah it's not like we're playing the Twins anytime soon!

RKMeibalane
04-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah it's not like we're playing the Twins anytime soon!

We can worry about Monday when Monday is here.

doublem23
04-16-2005, 09:32 PM

You want to forget about the team that's won the division the last three years?

:?:

RKMeibalane
04-16-2005, 09:35 PM
You want to forget about the team that's won the division the last three years?

:?:

I want people to stop obsessing about every little thing the Twins do. As long as the Sox take care of business on the field, they'll be fine. Let the Twins worry about themselves.

Jurr
04-16-2005, 09:38 PM
I have said it all year...the team that wins the Central will get a playoff berth. The team that finishes second will get a Wild Card. Baltimore's rise to respectability will throw a big time wrench in the gears of the AL East's claim to a Wild Card berth. Toronto is also playing well, and the D-Rays aren't a pushover, either.

I may be out of line, but I've just got that feeling. And, to top it all off, we're 2-0 against non-central teams. If we win all of those games, we could easily win 120 games! That should get us at least a Wild Card, right?
No. I'm not going to use teal. If you think I'm serious, you need to get to an emergency room. I am serious about the Central sending to to the dance this year. It could easily happen.

fuzzy_patters
04-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Cleveland has a very good lineup and 3 good starters. I am not sold on their bullpen, but I think they will have some winning streaks that will keep them close for most of the season. They strike me as a team that will be very inconsistent this year.

Tragg
04-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Yes, to answer the thread's question.

I never bought into the Indians hype.

The Racehorse
04-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Detroit? nope.
Cleveland? not yet.
K.C.? Someone get the AED.

This division will be a two horse race [no pun intended]... yes.

Mods... I goofed on my vote. Please change it to 'yes' when you get around to it. No hurry though... strictly C-list material. Thanks. :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
04-16-2005, 11:40 PM
The Sox and Twins are the 2 best teams in the A.L. Central.

The 'Toons and Tiggers may improve,but they aren't in that
category yet. Sorry.:D: :D: :D:

chisoxfanatic
04-17-2005, 12:15 AM
Of course...The Tigers and Indians are not on the same level.

The White Sox are gonna be the ones in command though. :)

Corlose 15
04-17-2005, 12:26 AM
The Sox and Twins will go down to the wire. The Indians I think will be a semi-close third and the Tigers a more distant fourth. Just my humble opinion.:smile:

Fake Chet Lemon
04-17-2005, 12:37 AM
Forget about the Twins? OK, these guys have only won the division the last four years. I'm guessing the Red Sox NEVER forgot about the Yanks last year. Rather, let's keep a close eye on them. Kenny may need to make one more move at the trade deadline to put us over the top of them. The Tigers and Indians remind me too much of the Sox teams pre-2005, so I'm not as worried about them.

OEO Magglio
04-17-2005, 01:31 AM
I said yes because this is what I believed before the season started. The twins and the sox are by far the two best teams in this division and they'll seperated themselves from Cleveland and Detroit. I did pick the red sox to win the wildcard but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Minny or the Sox won it this year.

WhiteSox16K
04-17-2005, 02:34 AM
I have said it all year...the team that wins the Central will get a playoff berth. The team that finishes second will get a Wild Card. Baltimore's rise to respectability will throw a big time wrench in the gears of the AL East's claim to a Wild Card berth. Toronto is also playing well, and the D-Rays aren't a pushover, either.

I definitely agree with this. The AL East is going to beat up on each other this year, which will allow more teams to be in the Wild Card race. With that being said, the Sox and Twins aren't (to this point) showing any trouble inside the Central (With teams that were picked to contend). Not to say that both teams would have to take care of business outside of the Central, but with almost 50% of your games inside your own division, it isn't that crazy to say that this is a possibility.

dcb33
04-17-2005, 03:38 AM
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_124693.jpg
"Man, this poll sucks. I thought I already told you bitches that the race for the division would be between the us and the Indians. Why aren't you listening to me? I guess hitting 3 jacks on Opening Day and none since just doesn't buy the credibility it used to."

owensmouth
04-17-2005, 07:01 AM
For the Sox to contend this year, they must dominate the Tigers, Indians and the Royals. We were less than spectacular in 2003 and 2004 against the Tigers, and it cost us.

hose
04-17-2005, 07:39 AM
The Sox and Twins will be there and I think the Indians will tighten up their defense and play better ball to get into the mix in the end.

Sabathia, Millwood, Lee , and Westbrook are a pretty decent staff and the Tribe's offense can be potent, I can't see counting them out.

gogosoxtimebaby
04-17-2005, 04:06 PM
if we keep goin' the way we are and so does minnesota than who ever loses the division may end up as the wild card!