PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle's chances for 2005 AL CY?

Frater Perdurabo
04-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Yes, it's only April, but with Buehrle's astounding performances on Opening Day and again today, what do we think of his chances to win the 2005 AL Cy Young Award?

I have to think he and Santana are the early favorites.

nasox
04-16-2005, 04:38 PM
WSI is so friggen reactive. If MB played like crap and only lasted 1/3 of an inning and gave up 6 ER you'd be saying, *** is up with Buehrle? If he pitches like he did today, and his ERA is where it is at now in a couple months, then talk about it. So damn reactive....

Frater Perdurabo
04-16-2005, 04:39 PM
WSI is so friggen reactive. If MB played like crap and only lasted 1/3 of an inning and gave up 6 ER you'd be saying, *** is up with Buehrle? If he pitches like he did today, and his ERA is where it is at now in a couple months, then talk about it. So damn reactive....

Regardless of today, Buehrle has been one of the best pitchers in the AL for several years now. He looks to have stepped it up to an even higher level now. All I'm saying is that based on his performance so far, he's got to be an early favorite.

EDIT: IIRC, I picked Buehrle for the AL CY in Voodoo's pre-season predictions thread.

Unregistered
04-16-2005, 04:41 PM
WSI is so friggen reactive. If MB played like crap and only lasted 1/3 of an inning and gave up 6 ER you'd be saying, *** is up with Buehrle? If he pitches like he did today, and his ERA is where it is at now in a couple months, then talk about it. So damn reactive.... See the "What's Wrong With Carl Everett?" thread for evidence of that. "Only 1 hit in his last 2 games? Hello slump!"

EDIT: I see you've found it. :D:

MRKARNO
04-16-2005, 04:46 PM
I predicted Buehrle to have a career year this year, so it doesn't surprise me. I think he has a better shot to win it than many here might think.

Unregistered
04-16-2005, 04:53 PM
I predicted Buehrle to have a career year this year, so it doesn't surprise me. I think he has a better shot to win it than many here might think. He'd really have to dominate like Santana did last year to win it. If he keeps throwing like this, though, you're right - but if he levels out at 18 wins and a 3.00 ERA, there's no chance.

MRKARNO
04-16-2005, 05:07 PM
He'd really have to dominate like Santana did last year to win it. If he keeps throwing like this, though, you're right - but if he levels out at 18 wins and a 3.00 ERA, there's no chance.

18 wins wont be enough in the eyes of the voters, but 2 of the last 4 AL Cy Young winners had ERAs above 3. In 2003, Halladay won 22 and had an ERA of 3.25 (he beat out Loaiza with the 2.90 ERA) and in 2001, Clemens won 20 and had a 3.51 ERA. When McDowell won it in '93, he had a 3.37 ERA and 22 wins.

There are many ways to win the award, but I wouldn't discount Buehrle's ability to put up an ERA comfortably under 3 if he can keep the ball in the yard. He wasn't great last year due to the long ball: 33 yielded and 22 of those at home. On the road he gave up only 11 and had a 2.63 ERA. If he can pitch the same on the road and keep the ball down at home, he could have a very good ERA.

Karl
04-16-2005, 05:10 PM
If Buehrle keeps this up he might have a chance, but it will be hard to beat out Johnson, Shilling, and Santana.

daveeym
04-16-2005, 05:13 PM
The sox in the playoffs will probably be what it takes for MB to get the cy young. That means they're playing well and probably getting him 3-5 more wins than he usually pencils in by both winning a few of his gems that they'd lose in the past and by picking him up on a couple of his bad outings.

Lip Man 1
04-16-2005, 05:16 PM
The voting is done before the post season begins.

Lip

HomeFish
04-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Folks, remember who does the voting. It's the media.

Carlos Zambrano will win the AL Cy Young before Buerhle does.

MRKARNO
04-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Folks, remember who does the voting. It's the media.

If your numbers are that good, they become impossible to ignore. Look at Santana last year. Look at Halladay in 2003. Look at Zito in 2002. All of them had the best numbers (Loaiza's end of the year slump and fewer innings made Halladay arguably better). None were in the big East Coast markets of Boston or New York. All of them won the AL Cy Young.

Since 1979, there have been 2 pitchers who have won the Cy Young out of Boston or New York: Roger Clemens and Pedro Martinez, two hall of famers and the best pitchers in baseball at the time that they won their awards.

There are usually some snubs here and there, but the guys with the best numbers on good teams usually end up winning the top awards in baseball. The degree to which media bias comes into play is overblown, in my view.

SOXSINCE'70
04-16-2005, 05:33 PM
I'd rather see Beuhrle win the 2005 WS MVP.:cool: :cool:

DumpJerry
04-16-2005, 05:38 PM
I'd rather see Beuhrle win the 2005 WS MVP.:cool: :cool:
Nothing precludes getting both awards.:D:

daveeym
04-16-2005, 06:01 PM
The voting is done before the post season begins.

Lip That's not the point of my post though, it's that a playoff caliber sox team will get him 5 extra wins over the course of the season. That'll get him a cy.

mikehuff
04-16-2005, 06:05 PM
I predicted Buehrle to win the Cy Young before the season started and I'm sticking with it. He is an ubelievable pitcher.

Just looked at the standings... Sox and Twins, best in baseball at 8-3.
Minnesota 6 wins in a row! Oh God, this is going to be interesting!

A. Cavatica
04-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Anybody who has to cover one of Buehrle's sub-2:00 masterpieces will support his Cy Young candidacy. Now all we have to do is win enough games to force the media to pay attention.

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2005, 07:29 PM
I hope Buehrle will win it... with Garcia in 2nd, El Duque in 3rd, Contreras in 4th, and Garland in 5th. But seriously, Santana is amazing. It'll be tough to top him.

gogosoxtimebaby
04-16-2005, 07:33 PM
well I think it is way to early but regardless It should be buehrle if he keeps going like this.

MRKARNO
04-16-2005, 07:37 PM
I hope Buehrle will win it... with Garcia in 2nd, El Duque in 3rd, Contreras in 4th, and Garland in 5th. But seriously, Santana is amazing. It'll be tough to top him.

Don't forget about that Randy guy either.

gogosoxtimebaby
04-16-2005, 07:38 PM
well Yankees have to win first.

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Don't forget about that Randy guy either.

Eh, I'm not sold on RJ. I'm sure he will pitch great, but I just have a feeling this may be the beginning of the end for him. I would say Santana is the favorite.

MushMouth
04-16-2005, 07:43 PM
If your numbers are that good, they become impossible to ignore. Look at Santana last year. Look at Halladay in 2003. Look at Zito in 2002. All of them had the best numbers (Loaiza's end of the year slump and fewer innings made Halladay arguably better). None were in the big East Coast markets of Boston or New York. All of them won the AL Cy Young.

Since 1979, there have been 2 pitchers who have won the Cy Young out of Boston or New York: Roger Clemens and Pedro Martinez, two hall of famers and the best pitchers in baseball at the time that they won their awards.

There are usually some snubs here and there, but the guys with the best numbers on good teams usually end up winning the top awards in baseball. The degree to which media bias comes into play is overblown, in my view.

Exactly, if Buerhle gets 20 wins and keeps his era down, he has as good a shot as anyone.

I will say he seems to just be dominating out there so far this year, despite one bad inning.

Also - lets not overlook how well Freddy has been pitching... looking forward to him tomorrow.

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Just looked at the standings... Sox and Twins, best in baseball at 8-3.
Minnesota 6 wins in a row! Oh God, this is going to be interesting!

Ah, baseball is back. I love it!
:D: :D: :D:

Mohoney
04-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Also - lets not overlook how well Freddy has been pitching... looking forward to him tomorrow.

I picked Freddy to lead the team in wins with 21 in the preseason thread.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-17-2005, 01:08 AM

But, there is a VERY FINE LINE between Reactive and Proactive. I've taken some beatings on this site for Threads like the "Sox Lacking Killer Instinct in sweeps" and "Everett going 1 for 7 after hitting the wall". A big part of my job at work is to be a Financial Analyst, and spot bad trends very early and address them. If you are good at that you can save your organization IMMENSELY over the long run. Although some of my stuff ends up being Chicken Little, I think most of you are too quick to dismiss trends as well. The time to address them is EARLY. At least analyzing baseball trends is fun for me, unlike what I usually do!

MHOUSE
04-17-2005, 02:48 AM
Mark Buehrle has said himself that he doesn't think he could ever win the award because he doesn't have a dominant statistic. He led the league in innings pitched last year, but he doesn't strike out a huge number of batters and his wins and ERA are above average, but a 3.00 ERA and 17 wins just won't win it.

I think his only shot is to lead the league in wins (a lot of which depends on our offense during his starts) and to throw 5 or 6 more gems, maybe a couple against NY or Boston and he'll get noticed. I think 21 wins and a 2.90-3.25 ERA could do it unless Johnson is godlike or Schilling stays healthy.