PDA

View Full Version : Shocking...the Twins call up someone named Gassner, gets the win

SoxxoS
04-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks Kevin Millwood for giving up 2 3-run jacks.

Dave Gassner (1-0) worked six strong innings to become the first Twins pitcher to win his major-league debut since Eric Milton beat Kansas City on April 5, 1998.

Terry Mulholland pitched 2 2/3 innings of relief, giving up a two-run homer to Ryan Ludwick in the ninth. Joe Nathan recorded one out for his fourth save.

Ford connected off Kevin Millwood (0-2) with two outs in the sixth inning for a 3-2 lead. Hunter hit a three-run shot with none out in the eighth to make it 6-2.

Gassner allowed three hits and two runs -- one earned. The left-hander walked one and struck out one.

The 26-year-old was recalled from Triple-A Rochester when right-hander Carlos Silva went on the disabled list with torn cartilage in his right knee April 9. Gessner was 1-0 with a 1.50 ERA at Rochester after compiling a 2.38 ERA in seven spring appearances with the Twins.

Figure it out, Cleveland.

depy48
04-16-2005, 03:09 PM
hang on a sec, arent the tigers and indians supposed to finish 1 and 2 in the central?
seems like those kittens and injuns are struggling with the true contenders of the central; the sox and twins.

Karl
04-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Though it still is early in the season it seems that it will either be the Sox or the Twins to win the Central. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wild Card came out of the Central either.

MRKARNO
04-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Though it still is early in the season it seems that it will either be the Sox or the Twins to win the Central. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wild Card came out of the Central either.

Me neither. The AL West seems pretty weak this year outside of Anaheim and I dont like what Boston did this offseason. New York (!) might even find a way to screw things up, but probably not. The AL Central is looking pretty good right about now...at least at the top.

SOXSINCE'70
04-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Millwood looks like Don Drysdale against the Sox and
John RockHead (I mean Rocker) against the Twins. :D: :D:

TheBull19
04-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Glassner's been consistently good in the minors, maybe a lefty in the Buerhle mold(hopefully not)

2004 AAA Rochester 16-8 3.41 ERA 174.1 IP 30 BB 93 K
2003 AA* New Haven 11-4 2.75 ERA 150.1 IP 28 BB 92 K
2002 A* Dunedin 12-9 3.36 ERA 177 IP 35 BB 119 K

*2003 stats include 1 AAA, 2002 includes 4 AA and 1 AAA start

Not a big strikeout guy, but had better than a 3:1 K/BB each year in the minors - when will it ever end?

Karl
04-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Me neither. The AL West seems pretty weak this year outside of Anaheim and I dont like what Boston did this offseason. New York (!) might even find a way to screw things up, but probably not. The AL Central is looking pretty good right about now...at least at the top.

This years Sox team seems to have a new swagger about them that is kind of scary. I think the Twins will have to be on top of there game because I don't think the Sox will fall apart late in the season.

I actually like Bostonís chances better than the Yankees. The Yankees have the names but Boston plays more as a team.