PDA

View Full Version : "Judy" Garland, my foot!

ma_deuce
04-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Garland has pitched masterfully in his two starts. Hell, he had a perfect game going into the seventh yesterday until Jeremy Reed walked (every DaDawg has his day). Hopefully, this will quell the naysayers about Garland's ability to keep us in the game as efficiently as our other starters (if not more efficiently than one or two of them).

Good job, Jon. Keep it up!

Fredsox
04-16-2005, 07:16 AM
I don't think anyone's ever "nay-sayed" his ability, and he has plainly been inconsistent for the past couple of years. That being said, he's a very experienced starting pitcher now and boy, he looks good after 2 starts. If he can bring this kind of effort every start we're gonna kick a lot of teams' rear ends.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Garland has pitched masterfully in his two starts. Hell, he had a perfect game going into the seventh yesterday until Jeremy Reed walked (every DaDawg has his day).

Garland lost all control in the seventh and the Reed at-bat made it painfully obvious to everyone watching. That punk never took the bat off his shoulder until Garland finally got one over the plate after running the count to 3-0.

And what kind of swing did future HOFer Jeremy "Not Jimmy" Reed take on 3-1? He swung and missed at ball four that sailed above his chin. Even Hawk and D.J. were laughing about it.
:roflmao:

Dumbass got wise for the next pitch and finally took his walk. I predict within six weeks one of the KW bashers will remember this event as The-Great-Jeremy Reed-Breaks-up-the-Perfect-Game at-bat. Too funny...

:KW
"I got women to the left of me!" (bump bump)
"I got women to the right of me!" (bump bump)
"I got women all around me!" (bump bump)
"But I ain't got Jeremy Reed!"

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2005, 09:50 AM
I don't think ever wondered if he had the ability, they just questioned whether or not he had the poise to be successful. He would get rocked one game, and blame someone else afterword. Hopefully that is behind him now and he can finally break out and become the pitcher we all know he can be.

Mickster
04-16-2005, 09:54 AM
I don't think ever wondered if he had the ability, they just questioned whether or not he had the poise to be successful. He would get rocked one game, and blame someone else afterword. Hopefully that is behind him now and he can finally break out and become the pitcher we all know he can be.

Still looked like the same Garland to me. Pitches great and almost always has has that "one bad inning"......

Not that I'm complaining. :smile:

Ol' No. 2
04-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Still looked like the same Garland to me. Pitches great and almost always has has that "one bad inning"......

Not that I'm complaining. :smile:As long as that "one bad inning" is in the 7th or later.

daveeym
04-16-2005, 10:01 AM
I don't think ever wondered if he had the ability, they just questioned whether or not he had the poise to be successful. He would get rocked one game, and blame someone else afterword. Hopefully that is behind him now and he can finally break out and become the pitcher we all know he can be. Oh wait, he'll definitely pass the blame on his bad games this year.

Overall, garland still sucks, he's GREAT for a number 5, hopefully he'll continue to prove his doubters wrong and not be a balsa wood type headcase over everything. I agree with those that said it's not really his ability andyone doubts but his head. Knowing that bitch he's pissed off because he's been bumbed down to the 5 spot and will revert to form when he doesn't get "bumped up" or receive "his due". I still highly question his moxie. :tongue:

AntoneSmith2
04-16-2005, 10:04 AM
A tremendous upgrade to the 5th spot in the rotation from last year.

MRKARNO
04-16-2005, 10:05 AM
I'll take one bad inning from Garland over 4 bad innings (out of four total) from Jason Grilli. It seemed like he would load the bases at least twice a game.

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Oh wait, he'll definitely pass the blame on his bad games this year.

Overall, garland still sucks, he's GREAT for a number 5, hopefully he'll continue to prove his doubters wrong and not be a balsa wood type headcase over everything. I agree with those that said it's not really his ability andyone doubts but his head. Knowing that bitch he's pissed off because he's been bumbed down to the 5 spot and will revert to form when he doesn't get "bumped up" or receive "his due". I still highly question his moxie. :tongue:

Good point. Since he is in the no. 5 slot, he may feel less pressure to have to perform well. But I really does need to learn to shut his mouth when things don't go his way. I'm sure Ozzie won't tolerate it and if McCarthy has a great year, Garland knows he would be expendable.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Overall, garland still sucks, he's GREAT for a number 5, hopefully he'll continue to prove his doubters wrong and not be a balsa wood type headcase over everything. ...

Don't worry about Garland. Just keep reminding yourself everytime he starts that last year it would have been Jason Grilli on the bump. It's enough to keep even the most irascible Sox Fan tranquil.

:cool:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-16-2005, 10:47 AM
I asked this in the post-game thread last night, but as of yet haven't gotten a response, so I'll try again:

Okay stat-heads:

In 2003 and 2004, how long did it take before we had two wins from our fifth starter (not to mention 2-0)?
Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

Fredsox
04-16-2005, 10:56 AM
I asked this in the post-game thread last night, but as of yet haven't gotten a response, so I'll try again:

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

I can't say from a date perspective, but I recall the 5-slot being 0-9 and one point. That probably puts it in June sometime.

TDog
04-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Two times through the starting rotation, and people here are ripping on the one pitcher with two wins.

MRKARNO
04-16-2005, 11:03 AM

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

The shortest amount of time it took was 4 starts. Jason Grilli managed the feat, going 2-1 over his first 4 starts....but with a 7.06 ERA. He didnt win another game in his next four starts and finished with a beyond unrespectable 7.40 ERA.

The second shortest amount of time was Felix Diaz last year. He was switiching off and on as a starter and reliever at this time. I want to say it was 7 starts to get the second win. He also, did not win another and finished the year with a 6.75 ERA.

And the third shortest was....well, no one, because no other fifth starter had more than a single win besides these two in the past two years.

The starting pitching situation might be as good as it's been since 1993 folks. The talent is there. If one falters or gets hurt, there's a guy by the name of Brandon McCarthy ready to show them how you're supposed to pitch.

DumpJerry
04-16-2005, 12:04 PM

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?
I think we're still waiting.

hawkjt
04-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Clearly, Garland's stuff last nite was awesome for 6 innings. It was as good as I have ever seen. Overall I think his stuff is average. I really think that expectations for Jon have always outweighed his stuff. I think he is where he should be in the rotation and can win 15-18 games in that slot which will be great for everyone. He does not deserve that Judy crap either.

MIgrenade
04-16-2005, 12:10 PM
I would like to point out that an old guy in front of me jinxed the perfect game. After the sixth he pointed at the scoreboard and said "Hey look he has a perfect game." I had to resist the urge to smack him.

spongyfungy
04-16-2005, 12:16 PM
"If you say you don't know about it, you are lying," said Garland, who threw 55 of his 87 pitches for strikes, but fanned just three. "I know it was there, I knew what was going on. I'm not an idiot. Me and (Mark) Buehrle said something about it on the bench. If it's going to happen, it will happen."

"Once you get Ichiro (Suzuki) out in the seventh, then maybe a little bit," added Pierzynski, who has never caught a no-hitter.

He will be a great pitcher in 3 or 4 more years when he just stops thinking so much on the mound. He'll have been through this a many more times before he throws a no-no. It's just all mental for him and only when he can brush off hits, walks, homers whatever like Buehrle does, only then will he become the pitcher Cubs thought they had.

Jjav829
04-16-2005, 12:20 PM
I would like to point out that an old guy in front of me jinxed the perfect game. After the sixth he pointed at the scoreboard and said "Hey look he has a perfect game." I had to resist the urge to smack him.

Speaking of which, the ultimate jinx was back at it again last night. DJ, after Garland gave up the first walk/hit, started talking about how Garland was perfect in Montreal last year until the 6th when he walked the first batter and then gave up two runs. Sure enough, Garland gives up two runs in the 7th after losing the perfect game. Thanks, DJ!

daveeym
04-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Clearly, Garland's stuff last nite was awesome for 6 innings. It was as good as I have ever seen. Overall I think his stuff is average. I really think that expectations for Jon have always outweighed his stuff. I think he is where he should be in the rotation and can win 15-18 games in that slot which will be great for everyone. He does not deserve that Judy crap either. Wow kinda contradicting there. If he wins that many he's clearly a stud then.

DumpJerry
04-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Speaking of which, the ultimate jinx was back at it again last night. DJ, after Garland gave up the first walk/hit, started talking about how Garland was perfect in Montreal last year until the 6th when he walked the first batter and then gave up two runs. Sure enough, Garland gives up two runs in the 7th after losing the perfect game. Thanks, DJ!
Can we replace him with Wills now? Why wait? Buy out the contract from Tampa!

Is it me, or do Hawk and DJ this year (espcially on the road games) sound like funeral directors? There is no emotion in their voices, even when something good happens.

MisterB
04-16-2005, 01:01 PM

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

It depends how strictly you define '5th starter'. The first win in 2004 was June 24 when Rauch got the win in a 7-1 game over the Tribe. The second win gets a little fuzzy. Felix Diaz won a game 2 days later (vs. the Cubs), but he was technically subbing for #4 starter Scott Schoeneweis. Past that, #2 was either Diaz Sept. 5th vs. Seattle or Grilli Sept. 6th vs Texas (the rotation was pretty scrambled at that point).

As for 2003: #1 was April 19th (Josh Stewart vs. Cleveland), #2 was July 21st (Mike Porzio vs. Cleveland).

santo=dorf
04-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Garland has pitched masterfully in his two starts. Hell, he had a perfect game going into the seventh yesterday until Jeremy Reed walked (every DaDawg has his day). Hopefully, this will quell the naysayers about Garland's ability to keep us in the game as efficiently as our other starters (if not more efficiently than one or two of them).

He did not pitch "masterfully" in his first start, but I like him as our fifth starter.

A. Cavatica
04-16-2005, 02:42 PM
As for 2003: #1 was April 19th (Josh Stewart vs. Cleveland), #2 was July 21st (Mike Porzio vs. Cleveland).

Wasn't Esteban the #5 coming out of spring training?

DumpJerry
04-16-2005, 03:01 PM
He did not pitch "masterfully" in his first start, but I like him as our fifth starter.
He was suffering from the flu. Give him a break!:smile:

MisterB
04-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Wasn't Esteban the #5 coming out of spring training?

Theorhetically yes, but he pitched the 4th game of the season and since the a 5th starter wasn't needed due to off days, Wright was skipped the first time through. I'd consider Loaiza the #4 and Wright #5.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-16-2005, 03:20 PM

Garland has looked better than many staff aces, including Carlos Dumb-Brano. And he's our #5- Kenny Williams you da man!

owensmouth
04-16-2005, 03:22 PM
The White Sox don't really have a fifth starter. They have a succession of starters, allowing Ozzie to say, "It's your turn."

Fifth starters would traditionally be passed over when openings appeared in the schedule. Garland, because he is capable of pitching well through 6 or 7 innings will not be rested.

That said, Ozzie has to be aware that Garland has a tendency to hit the wall in the sixth or seventh inning of a well pitched game. That's what happened last nite, and Ozzie handled him correctly.