PDA

View Full Version : Shingo situation

GiveMeSox
04-16-2005, 03:22 AM
First of all I have been drinking, second of all I do my best thinking when I have been drinking. My point about Shingo is this. There was a lot of pressure put on him coming into this season. A lot of critics saying he was a 1 hit wonder and the league will adapt. That being said he has come out and stuggled to throw strikes, his stuff is fine. In my opinion this is becuase of the pressure he feels to prove he is for real. The solution hand the ball to Hermy for the 9th for now, thats why we got him. Let Shingo work it out in the 7th and 8th innnings. Bring him in when the pressure is off and the game is a blowout or out of reach. Let him prove he can throw strikes and go 1 2 3 in the innings. Once his confidence is back let him close out again.

popilius
04-16-2005, 04:10 AM
Unfortunately, the game in which he gave up 3 homers may have devastated his confidence. I agree with you; his stuff is still good. But it's almost like he's being "too careful" when pitching now. It seems like he's trying not to give up a homer rather than trying to get the hitters out on good pitch seqences and good location.

Thankfully, Hermanson's been doing a good job lately.

:gulp:

pmck003
04-16-2005, 04:55 AM
Maybe I am crazy, but I got Shingo right below Thigpen; not on the same level but close. To get upset about two blown chances in 24 is nuts. It was a little scary what happened tonight, but what closer dosen't have some bad games in a row (if there is one, like foulke or marianoo who has had a perfect streak recantly, please tell me)
If this wasn't my first post, I'd use the monster guy to emphasize this. I agree that he may have some trouble against left handed batters (as I heard about what Ozzie said in another post here) - even more than the usual right handers. I don't worry about him cause he has shown the mentalitly it takes to be a closer, or at least a really strong pitcher, in Japan. I think the mentality is the most important part (Koch). I've had to live in minnesota for a long time; If anyone has emails they would like to send to twin fans, I can forward.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-16-2005, 05:53 AM
You have to put him back out there. The team is playing well right now. He has to be a part of it for that to continue. I agree with Popilius, he has to put the three homers behind him. If he blows another game, he blows another game. When he's on his game, he embarrasses the opposition. A guy looks awful striking out against Shingo.

ma_deuce
04-16-2005, 06:38 AM
It's still very early in the season. Its Shingo's job to lose, so you have to send him out there and let him prove he can do it. If he cannot, then we should count ourselves lucky that Hermy is close by.

I love the White Sox this year. Two of our biggest concerns are which of our two viable closers we should use and what do we do with Hot Carl once our #1 player returns from the DL. These are the types of problems I love. :redneck

Fredsox
04-16-2005, 06:55 AM
I think Shingo is a great guy but I don't give a rat's fazoo about him or anyone else being anointed "The Closer". It's about winning games and nothing else. What Ozzie did last night sent a message to the bullpen and to the rest of the team that every game counts and we're going to fight tooth & nail to win them all.

Baseball is a machine that eats players and spits them out over time. Anybody remember Salome Barojas? He was a 1-year wonder for the Sox out of the bullpen in the '80's. He did great one year (saved 21 games) and then he fell off the table. They come and they go, but the game goes on.

I'm not saying Shingo is done, or that he's no good, or that he won't save 20 games this year. We seem to have some very strong arms and these guys can pick each other up. THAT is very encouraging. Viscaino and Hermenson pitched very well.

We have bullpen depth, and I'm enjoying it!

Ol' No. 2
04-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Shingo is pitching exactly the way he did in spring training in 2004 - poor location and can't get lefties out. Maybe he just takes longer to work out his pitch location. He got it together last year, so I see no reason to think he won't do it again this year. But in the meantime, he's got to be kept on a short leash.

Epark84
04-16-2005, 09:33 AM
as long as hermanson is doing the job let him do it. He is more of a prototype closer anyways. Shingo even when he is on has to make things interesting. Let him be a middle relief guy to get a batter or two. If hermanson falters give him another chance

BainesHOF
04-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately, the game in which he gave up 3 homers may have devastated his confidence. I agree with you; his stuff is still good. But it's almost like he's being "too careful" when pitching now. It seems like he's trying not to give up a homer rather than trying to get the hitters out on good pitch seqences and good location.

Thankfully, Hermanson's been doing a good job lately.

:gulp:

That's why Ozzie was such an idiot for leaving Shingo in to serve up three homers. And if you remember, he left him in to serve up a possible fourth. Unbelievable.

Ozzie has a lot to learn about pitching. I'm still mad about that game. He gave it away.

daveeym
04-16-2005, 10:10 AM
:threadblows:

voodoochile
04-16-2005, 10:15 AM
First I think they should stop using Vizcaino for multiple-inning outings.

Second, I think they should start treating evey 9th inning like a save situation, regardless of whether it is or not. Between Shingo and Hermanson, they have two guys who clearly can perform when brought on to start an inning.

Last night even I was of the "it's a 4-run lead so no save" mentality to start the ninth. That's silly. No save = who cares. Win the game. Bring out a new guy to start the ninth anytime the game is within 4 runs.

soxfan43
04-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Of all the pitchers the sox have the only 2 I ever get nervous about are cotts and shingo. shingo is fun to watch, has good stuff but you just get nervous with him on the hill. ozzie needs to get his confidence back by using him in the 7th or 8th and let hermaonson close it out, with all these division games this month, the sox cant afford to blow any more.

Infallible
04-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Shingo gets better as the weather warms up. It was the same as last year. This guy knows his job, he's too old to be shaken up and suffering from a lack of confidence.

veeter
04-16-2005, 12:12 PM
If you notice Shingo is not getting beat on his best pitch. They are crushing his fastball. He's even throwing the fastball with two strikes. THROW THE FRISBEE!!! If they start killing that pitch then I'll doubt the guy but as of now the league cannot hit that pitch.

Lip Man 1
04-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Has anyone signed Kerry Lightenberg yet?
Sign him, send him to Charlotte and have him ready.

Lip

tstrike2000
04-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Shingo is pitching exactly the way he did in spring training in 2004 - poor location and can't get lefties out. Maybe he just takes longer to work out his pitch location. He got it together last year, so I see no reason to think he won't do it again this year. But in the meantime, he's got to be kept on a short leash.

Yes, his margin of error is not alot. He won't be able to afford too many bad outings, both because of pressure on him and our patience to never go through a stretch like we did with Billy Koch. Agreed that he just needs a tad bit of time to work on his location with his fastball and not letting his frisbee drift right over the heart of the plate.