PDA

View Full Version : What Might Have Been

hold2dibber
04-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Just thinking tonight (after a few frosty ones ... as may become evident as you read on) what would have happened had the Bartolo Colon taken the Sox offer (4 year for $40 million or so?) after the '03 season. Had he done so, I would think the Sox would look like this now:

CF Jeremy Reed
2B Iguchi
LF Carlos Lee
1b Konerko
DH Everett
RF Rowand
3B Crede
C Olivo
SS Uribe

Buehrle
Colon
Contreras
El Duque
Garland

They wouldn't have Vizcaino in the BP, but they might have had some money to sign another free agent RP - maybe somebody like Kline or Hammond or Mantei or something.

I think I like the current team slightly better than the one above. For whatever that's worth.

DaleJRFan
04-16-2005, 12:48 AM
by signing Colon to that sort of deal (I heard the offer the Sox made was more than 40m x 4yr, though)... they would have had to backup the truck to afford him. No Konerko, no Lee, no Everett, etc...

We'd have the following this season:

CF Jeremy Reed
2B Willie Harris
LF Joe Borchard
1B Ross Gload
DH Frank Thomas
RF Timo Perez
3B Joe Crede
C Olivo
SS Uribe

SP:
Mark Buehrle
Bartolo Colon
Jon Garland
Brandon McCarthy
Jason Grilli

RP:
Jon Adkins
Neal Cotts
Cliff Politte
Damaso Marte
Shingo Takatsu
Kevin Walker

Man, am I a pessimist, or what??

SOXintheBURGH
04-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Yeah but, either way.. We still got Crede at 3B. :(:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-16-2005, 01:38 AM
"Hey dude, what's the score?"

Epark84
04-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Id rather have rowand in CF and AJ behind the plate anyways. Id like to still have Lee, but you have to make tough choices. Reed and olivo really arent tearing it up in seattle.

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2005, 09:44 AM
No offense to the creator of this thread, but I really don't care about what might have been. I want to focus on what we have now and what will be.
:cool:

OG4LIFE
04-16-2005, 02:18 PM
first off, last i heard the sox deal was 3 yrs 36 mil. he took the anaheim offer because it included a 4th year.

secondly, there is no way you can know we would have traded for contreras, signed el duque or anything.

bobelou72
04-16-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm Happy with what we got now. Winning is fun fun is winning

Go Sox:supernana:

Cowch44
04-16-2005, 02:59 PM
first off, last i heard the sox deal was 3 yrs 36 mil. he took the anaheim offer because it included a 4th year.

secondly, there is no way you can know we would have traded for contreras, signed el duque or anything.

Exactly. This team could be totally different.

chisoxt
04-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Just thinking tonight (after a few frosty ones ... as may become evident as you read on) what would have happened had the Bartolo Colon taken the Sox offer (4 year for $40 million or so?) after the '03 season. .

I'll add another twist to your query. What if the Sox, who got off to a poor start in 03 had not had that red hot June that year, and had to pack it in by the all-star break? Had they been in that position, they would have unloaded Colon and a red-hot Loiaza and probably would have picked up a boat load of young talent. I believe that would have set them up for years to come.

As it turned out, the Sox came up short in 03, and Colon left for free agency. Loiza's option was picked up, but he fizzled out last year, rendering him virtually useless for 04.

Had Colon stayed, the Sox would have likely salary-dumped other key personnel.