PDA

View Full Version : The property of TWOs (warning: stupid & silly thread)

DaleJRFan
04-16-2005, 01:31 AM
I was joking around with my Dad about Cubs "curses" and he mentioned two that he deemed as "unspoken, old-school south-side sports equations". These are known as the "Property of TWOs"

:cool:

In hockey, of the two teams that reach the finals, the team with more ex-Blackhawk players will win the Stanley Cup (referencing the fact that since the mid-90s, the Hawks draft great players and trade them as soon as they become stars). I've researched this one and found it to be true on several accounts.

In MLB, any team with more than TWO ex-Cubs will never win the World Series (Didn't the BoSox have a few last season??).

This is all a joke, natually, but...

I am curious as to how many ex-Cubs are on the Sox. I know Garland and Gload were in the Cubs organization at some point prior to the Sox, but... who else am I missing if anyone?

Banix12
04-16-2005, 01:50 AM
The ex-cubs rule held up for a lot of years but was proven false by the 2001 Diamondbacks when they beat the yankees with a roster containing 4 ex-cubs. Mark Grace, Miguel Batista, Luis Gonzalez and Mike Morgan.

As far as this year's sox, I think that's all of the ex cubs we have.

Ol' No. 2
04-16-2005, 10:52 AM
I was joking around with my Dad about Cubs "curses" and he mentioned two that he deemed as "unspoken, old-school south-side sports equations". These are known as the "Property of TWOs"

In hockey, of the two teams that reach the finals, the team with more ex-Blackhawk players will win the Stanley Cup (referencing the fact that since the mid-90s, the Hawks draft great players and trade them as soon as they become stars). I've researched this one and found it to be true on several accounts.
In MLB, any team with more than TWO ex-Cubs will never win the World Series (Didn't the BoSox have a few last season??).
This is all a joke, natually, but...

I am curious as to how many ex-Cubs are on the Sox. I know Garland and Gload were in the Cubs organization at some point prior to the Sox, but... who else am I missing if anyone?The ex-Cub rule is also known as the Royko rule, after Mike Royko who first discovered it. There are a few exceptions. It wouldn't apply to Garland since he never played for the Cubs, only played in their minor league system, which doesn't count. Ross Gload is the only one on the roster that I can think of that actually played for the Cubs.

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Ross Gload is the only one on the roster that I can think of that actually played for the Cubs.

Uggh. What people will do for money!
:redneck

dcb33
04-16-2005, 11:47 AM

2. In MLB, any team with more than TWO ex-Cubs will never win the World Series (Didn't the BoSox have a few last season??).

There were actually quite a few ex-Cubs on the BoSox last year- six to be exact, however, the only one of those six who played any significant amount of time was Bill Mueller, and he shared a large amount of time with Youkilis at 3B. Of the rest, none played more than 25 games for the BoSox. Here's the list:

Bill Mueller- Played for 2001-02 Cubs- played 110 games for 04 BoSox
Ricky Gutierrez- Played for 2000-01 Cubs- played 21 games for 04 BoSox
Sandy Martinez- Played for 1999 Cubs- played 3 games for 04 BoSox
Frank Castillo- Played for 1991-97 Cubs- made 2 appearances with 04 BoSox
Terry Adams- Played for 1995-99 Cubs- made 19 appearances with 04 BoSox
Jimmy Anderson- Played for 2004 Cubs- made 5 appearances with 04 BoSox

Banix12
04-16-2005, 01:02 PM
There were actually quite a few ex-Cubs on the BoSox last year- six to be exact, however, the only one of those six who played any significant amount of time was Bill Mueller, and he shared a large amount of time with Youkilis at 3B. Of the rest, none played more than 25 games for the BoSox. Here's the list:

Bill Mueller- Played for 2001-02 Cubs- played 110 games for 04 BoSox
Ricky Gutierrez- Played for 2000-01 Cubs- played 21 games for 04 BoSox
Sandy Martinez- Played for 1999 Cubs- played 3 games for 04 BoSox
Frank Castillo- Played for 1991-97 Cubs- made 2 appearances with 04 BoSox
Terry Adams- Played for 1995-99 Cubs- made 19 appearances with 04 BoSox
Jimmy Anderson- Played for 2004 Cubs- made 5 appearances with 04 BoSox

With the exception of Mueller, who is a very good hitter, that's a lot of aging dead weight on a roster. I know they didn't play much but it's kinda interesting that they won with a team that had to resort to using these guys at some point.

DumpJerry
04-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Royko amended his rule to say it was the team with the most ex-Flubs loses the WS. Bill Buckner, of course, gave the theory a ton of credibility. I do agree with some of the above posters that the theory might be dead for now. However, if I ever had a son who played baseball, I would get him to sign with the Flubs and then demand a trade. So many guys who were in the Flubs' organization but moved on became serious stars. Lou Brock always comes to mind.

dcb33
04-16-2005, 01:10 PM
With the exception of Mueller, who is a very good hitter, that's a lot of aging dead weight on a roster. I know they didn't play much but it's kinda interesting that they won with a team that had to resort to using these guys at some point.

I was surprised to see some of those guys actually saw action with the Red Sox last year as well.
Frank Castillo and Terry Adams? Talk about a blast from the past!