PDA

View Full Version : How good are we?

soxwon
04-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Really now-how good is this team?

is anyone surprised?

has your attitudes changed?

Do you see something we havent had in a long time?

is this team special?

Can we go ALL THE WAY?

wsoxfan
04-15-2005, 11:59 PM
i like this team a lot, if we can hang around until Thomas comes back it'll be like making a big trade during the season and not having to even give up anyone! :bandance:

mealfred13
04-16-2005, 12:01 AM
I think we're pretty damn good. I haven't seen a game yet, other than the craptastic blown save against Cleveland, where I've felt the game was over and we had no chance to come back. The pitching has been much better than expected, and it seems to be working out for everyone, especially with Garland in the 5-spot.

Best of all, the hitting seems to be picking up, and even guys that aren't hitting so well are being picked up by others. It's refreshing to see the team winning even when we're not on all 8 (or 9:tongue:) cylinders.

TomParrish79
04-16-2005, 12:11 AM
almost 2 weeks into the season, and i think we are looking ok.

Nellie_Fox
04-16-2005, 12:16 AM
How good are we? Well, let's see. My left knee is pretty much shot. I'm developing arthritis in the thumbs of both hands, and my left shoulder clicks when I rotate it around.

Or are you asking how good are the Sox? They look pretty good to me. My kind of team. Much better equipped to win on the days when the power offense doesn't show up.

pudge
04-16-2005, 12:18 AM
I just simply can't get excited yet. I don't know what it will take - I think it takes one of those kick-butt road trips like the one in 2000. Until then, the Twins are the better team, and I refuse to think otherwise.

dugwood31
04-16-2005, 12:20 AM
if we can hang around until Thomas comes back it'll be like making a big trade during the season and not having to even give up anyone!
That's absolutely right. If we're hanging around when Frand comes back, we'll have a good chance. As of right now, we've switched an offense that scored alot of runs for one that hasn't yet, hopefully because of good pitchers and the weather. And we've switched bad pitching for good pitching.

We're 4-0 in one run games. Are we lucky or are we a team that executes with the game on the line? Time will tell.

chisox06
04-16-2005, 01:27 AM
How good are we? Well, let's see. My left knee is pretty much shot. I'm developing arthritis in the thumbs of both hands, and my left shoulder clicks when I rotate it around.

Or are you asking how good are the Sox? They look pretty good to me. My kind of team. Much better equipped to win on the days when the power offense doesn't show up.

Haha good point. Isn't interesting how quickly it can go from were awesome to they suck?

eastchicagosoxfan
04-16-2005, 06:02 AM
After 10 games, the team has won close games. It has come from behind. The starting pitching has been solid. Shingo had one bad outing, and he got bailed out yesterday by his teamates. Today, Buerhle deals, and tomorrow, ( day game !! ) Garcia throws. The Sox could be 9-3 going into Monday. Nine wins against three loses is a good start. Isn't that one of the keys to the season? I'm a glass is half-full guy.

OG4LIFE
04-16-2005, 06:53 AM
we will not win at a .700 clip, but i now have no doubt (barring major injuries, of course), that this team can win 90 games, and its all due to the pitching staff. we have a chance to win every single damn game out there with the guys we put on the mound day in and day out. even when our starters struggle (the cubans last week), we still have a chance to win. and if you compare the 5th starter from last year to the 5th starter this year, with garland being pretty lights out, that can turn into a 5-10 game difference from last year. despite some struggles out of the pen, i still think if need be a starter can go out and give 5-6 innings and our pen (if used correctly OZZIE) significantly shortens games :

hermie
vizcaino
marte
shingotime
politte

every one of those guys is capable of shutting a team down for an inning, some two.

i expect some hot and cold streaks, but i project 90+ wins, up from the 82 i initially thought we would win.

Fredsox
04-16-2005, 07:12 AM
Another thing is that we seem to have a schedule that favors us in the first half. It appears that the roughest stretch is mid-August when we face the Yanks, the Red Sox, and the Twins from the 8th to the 25th, so that could be a very pivotal point in the season for us. For the time before the all star break, it really looks like we can position ourselves very well.

If this team takes care of it's business on a day-to-day basis we're either in first place or close to it by the trade deadline.

Hey, how are those Indians and Tigers doing? Let's ask ESPN, maybe they know.

Dan H
04-16-2005, 07:21 AM
I think 10 games is not enough to judge a team. Having said that, I think this good start can help the team find its true identity. I just worry about Hernandez and Shingo has looked shaky. But if the pitching holds up, it will be much easier to find some offense in the mid-season than trying to find a front line pitcher. If the pitching is there, the Sox take the division though the Twins are not going to make it easy.

lowesox
04-16-2005, 08:29 AM
Personally, I think this has been a great start. And it certainly appears as though this is a good team. MAybe even a playoff team. My hunch right now, though, is that we're probably not a WOrld Series team.

But, we might only be 2-3 major acquisitions away.

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2005, 09:59 AM
I think the Sox have started off great, and I can't say that I am very surprised. I am glad that we have done well so far, but I knew that this team could be very good. The real question is Can they keep it up?

Ol' No. 2
04-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Last year's team was on pace for 95 wins through the third week of May. Is this year's team as good as last year's team? There's still 152 games to go.

chisoxmike
04-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Its still too early. The Sox were in first place at the all-star break last year, and as late as July 24. And only 4 games out Aug 15. There is still A LOT of baseball to be played.

daveeym
04-16-2005, 10:13 AM
This team is good enough to win now. Not to piss on the frank fan's parade, but him returning is questionable at best and theres no way mvp caliber frank is strolling into the cell for months if at all this year. If everyone stays healthy and they keep playing well frank's return probably causes more problems than solves more problems unless he or someone else can play third.

voodoochile
04-16-2005, 10:16 AM

I'm not good...

I'm bad...

I'm Nationwide...

And so are the Sox...

MRKARNO
04-16-2005, 10:25 AM
We're 4-0 in one run games. Are we lucky or are we a team that executes with the game on the line? Time will tell.

But the answer is probably a little bit of both. We're not going to win every one run game of course, but that doesnt mean we cannot win 3/5 to 2/3 of them.

MRKARNO
04-16-2005, 10:32 AM
In regards to the title question:

Even the Diamondbacks won 7 out of 10 games at one point last season and they lost 111 games.

But this team clearly is not that bad, as the 7-3 came at the beginning of the year, which means we're tied for the best record in baseball.

If the offense can come around (I think it's starting to already), Frank can come back healthy by June 1st, the starting pitching can keep it up (to a reasonable degree) and the bullpen settles down a bit, then this team might be one of the better teams in baseball at years end. They've had the ability. The biggest question for me was starting pitching and they've already answered some of the questions. The offense is coming around. My one concern is the bullpen, which might not end up being as good as advertised, but we'll see. Shingo looked like he needed AAA time at this point last year...

PaleHoseGeorge
04-16-2005, 10:36 AM

is anyone surprised?

is this team special?

Can we go ALL THE WAY?

I'm guessing you're a Bears fan? A 7-3 record is enough to give you an orgasm every October, isn't it?

We've played 10 games. We have 152 left to go.

Go take a cold shower.

MINFAN1
04-16-2005, 11:02 AM
I think we will be an exciting, contending team all year. Barring injuries, and even with that, we seem to have are posistions covered well. The players seem inthused, and more into winning as a team. A lot will depend on the health of our starting rotation, and how Ozzie uses the bullpen. I feel that Big Frank may not be a factor for us all year. Hopefully, he will, but they should handle him slowley, and maybe he could be a factor for us late in the season.

DumpJerry
04-16-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm guessing you're a Bears fan? A 7-3 record is enough to give you an orgasm every October, isn't it?

We've played 10 games. We have 152 left to go.

Go take a cold shower.
If the Bears are 7-3 in October, then the fix is in. Game 10 is November 20 vs. Carolina.

Seriously, in response to a previous poster, I feel much better about this team than last year's team. This year we are more well-rounded, not depending on two hitters (Thomas and Ordonez) and a pitcher (Buehrle) to make it all happen. The best sign of our success is that my friends who are Flub fans who know baseball think we are looking good.

Lip Man 1
04-16-2005, 12:44 PM
To soon to say...but I'm not complaining about a 7-3 start.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
04-16-2005, 03:28 PM
To borrow a somewhat tired, but still relevant cliche...

Championships are not won in April, but they can be lost in April.

Going 6-3 against the main competition in the Central is good stuff. If the pitching hold up, they should be able to maintain the pace after Sunday against Minnesota, Detroit, and Kansas City. Dominating the division early is important.

nasox
04-16-2005, 03:35 PM

is anyone surprised?

is this team special?

Can we go ALL THE WAY?

I asked those questions to my girlfriend and she dumped me.

owensmouth
04-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Dominating the division early is important. Dominating? Let's at least wait until Tuesday evening.

Frater Perdurabo
04-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Dominating? Let's at least wait until Tuesday evening.

Sure. But so far, so good.

soxtalker
04-16-2005, 04:02 PM
As others have said, it is great that they are winning, but it is too early to really make much of a judgement (in any direction). Having said that, I find that I have a bit of an uneasy feeling about the team. I can't really put my finger on it, but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of room for error right now. Maybe it is the low OBP, as pointed out in a thread yesterday. (Note that there were no Sox walks today.) I've wanted to see a return of great pitching and defense for awhile, so I don't mean to complain.

jabrch
04-16-2005, 04:19 PM
We are good enough to win 100 games. At the same time, we are bad enough in terms of runs scored to lose 80 games if we don't either continue pitching like this or start hitting better.

That said, I think the former is much more likely than the latter. I like the makeup of this club. I love having 5 starters who I know we can count on and that we don't have the blackholes in our rotation that past teams have had.

Wsoxmike59
04-16-2005, 06:46 PM

1) is anyone surprised?

2) has your attitudes changed?

3) Do you see something we havent had in a long time?

4) is this team special?

5) Can we go ALL THE WAY?

To answer your questions.

1) I'm not surprised that the Sox are a good team so far this year

2) I'm always optimistic that the Sox will do well going into each new season, but I think more importantly the Sox team attitude has changed.

3) They're playing as a team, something that has been missing on the southside since the 2000 season

4) This team has a chance to be "special" like the '59 - '64 - '67 - '72 - '77 - '83 - '90 - '93 - '94 - and 2000 Sox teams of yesteryear.

5) If our 5 Starters on the Pitching Staff stay healthy, we can go ALL THE WAY!!!

AJPosguchi
04-16-2005, 10:25 PM
I am a little suprised that we started off this well considering we have not hit the ball well at all.

I think the the return of Frank and the continued develpoment of Tad will help the offense as the season continues.

One thing that impresses me so far (different from last year) is our ability to manufacture runs - thus the ability to still score when we are not hitting, and good pitching has, of course, helped also.

I think our starting rotation is the best we have had for several years, and we have Brandon developing at AAA.

Another thing that has been different thus far is our road record. I think this is also due to the smart ball that we have played and the lights out pitching.

DumpJerry
04-16-2005, 10:29 PM
I heard on the news tonight that this is our best start since 1983. We all know what happened that year (no, I'm not talking about the no-hitter Oakland threw against us late in the season).:D:

BRDSR
04-16-2005, 11:45 PM
4) This team has a chance to be "special" like the '59 - '64 - '67 - '72 - '77 - '83 - '90 - '93 - '94 - and 2000 Sox teams of yesteryear.

I was only alive for 4 of your teams and only baseball smart for one of them(2000 of course) but after recent years I'm becoming increasingly convinced that there was nothing very special about the 2000 team. They were an enigma for an entire first half of the season and then went something like 2 games over .500 after the all star break. We had a poor manager and an average pitching staff that played better than they were for the first half. A sweep out of the playoffs clinched a VERY bittersweet season in my mind. Anyone agree?

Fake Chet Lemon
04-16-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm going to stick with what I said before the season. If Frank returns by June 1st and plays the rest of the season we'll be in it until the last week, and probably take the Central. Without Frank I think we are not deep enough and it's another 2nd place finish. Without Frank, if a Konerko, AJ, or Rowand go down we are toast.

Wsoxmike59
04-17-2005, 09:05 AM
I was only alive for 4 of your teams and only baseball smart for one of them(2000 of course) but after recent years I'm becoming increasingly convinced that there was nothing very special about the 2000 team. They were an enigma for an entire first half of the season and then went something like 2 games over .500 after the all star break. We had a poor manager and an average pitching staff that played better than they were for the first half. A sweep out of the playoffs clinched a VERY bittersweet season in my mind. Anyone agree?

I don't. The 2000 Sox had an A.L. best 95 wins. The starting pitching just got injured down the stretch. We threw 3 "hurting" starters at the M's in the LDS (Parque, Sirotka, and Baldwin) and didn't have Cal Eldred available and yet the Mariners still barely squeeked by in each game.

That Mariner team went on to win 116 games the following season. The Sox on the other hand had to scramble and re-load practically the entire starting rotation.

The 2000 season was suppose to be only the beginning of the start of something good on the Southside. Injuries and some questionable trades early in the career of KWill had derailed our "good tidings" and blue print for the future by a few years.

Let's hope the 2005 White Sox team is the new beginning we've all been waiting so patiently on.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-17-2005, 09:15 AM
I don't. The 2000 Sox had an A.L. best 95 wins. The starting pitching just got injured down the stretch. We threw 3 "hurting" starters at the M's in the LDS (Parque, Sirotka, and Baldwin) and didn't have Cal Eldred available and yet the Mariners still barely squeeked by in each game.

That Mariner team went on to win 116 games the following season. The Sox on the other hand had to scramble and re-load practically the entire starting rotation.

The 2000 season was suppose to be only the beginning of the start of something good on the Southside. Injuries and some questionable trades early in the career of KWill had derailed our "good tidings" and blue print for the future by a few years.....

A very nice summation about the '00 Sox. That was a special team and hardly anybody remembers them with the proper perspective.
:thumbsup:

I would further note that the '00 Sox mashed the ball most of the season, but it was their bats that went silent for three lousy games in the playoffs. Meanwhile the pitching for those three games was actually quite good. **** happens... that's baseball.

That's why I always want my team in the playoffs, certainly more often than just once every ten years or so. Nearly anything can happen in a short series and the '00 Sox are the living proof of this fact.

wassagstdu
04-17-2005, 09:58 AM
I really like this team, and for the first time in a while I think of them as "my team" win or lose. Well, maybe "win or break even." One-run games tend to even out eventually, but not always in a single season. (any statistical analysis out there? Are there teams that are significantly better in one-run games or is it always a statistical anomaly?) If the Sox end up playing .500 ball but are in every game and scratching every inning like I think they have so far I will be satisfied. However, too early to tell, but this just might be one of those "franchise" seasons.

:fsock