PDA

View Full Version : JR's manifesto

MarqSox
11-04-2001, 12:04 PM
I don't think this has been posted yet, but if it has, my apologies.

A letter from Jerry Reinsdorf
November, 2001

Dear White Sox fans:

We entered the 2001 season with exceptionally high expectations. Coming off 95 victories and an American League Central Division title, many of us felt the 2001 Chicago White Sox would carry us closer to our ultimate goal -- winning a World Series title for White Sox fans and the city of Chicago. Given those lofty expectations, we can only call this past season's performance disappointing.

However, in admitting that we fell short of our goals in 2001, we remain exceedingly optimistic about this team's future. We believe in this team. We believe in our talent, and we believe in our future. Despite starting the season 14-29, despite the unfortunate string of injuries to Frank Thomas and our pitching staff, this club did not quit. The credit for our club's second half resurgence goes to the players, Jerry Manuel and his staff. We learned a great deal about ourselves in 2001, and the lessons have been taken to heart.

The return of our injured players will give us an extremely potent and deep club entering 2002. Given our youth and our depth, we do not expect a dramatic or major overhaul this offseason. We have seen the improvement players like Mark Buehrle can make from one year to the next, and we expect our young players to continue to improve. We have made strong efforts to reach out to our more-veteran core players like Magglio Ordonez, Paul Konerko and Jose Valentin, signing them to multiyear deals that we hope benefit both the players and our team. While General Manager Ken Williams and his staff search for creative ways to improve our club, we believe a healthy Sox team in 2002 will contend for the division title beginning on Opening Day.

We have talked a great deal over the past three seasons about our franchise's plan. We feel it is important to continue to share our goals with our fans. One of my goals in writing this postseason letter to you is to reaffirm this organization's singular commitment to winning a World Series Championship. We expect the White Sox to compete for a division title and a postseason berth season after season. We want a team fans can relate to with players who understand just how important you are to our success. We also have made a sustained commitment to our community through player appearances and charity efforts such as Picnic In The Park and the Field of Greens golf outing, because we believe it is vitally important to reach out to all our fans.

Comiskey Park will undergo another phase of renovations this winter with changes taking place to the main concourse, club level, center field batter's eye and the netting behind home plate. These renovations will update and improve the atmosphere and ambiance of the ballpark as we begin to plan for the All-Star Game in 2003. Much of our planning is based upon input and feedback from you, and we appreciate your willingness to offer opinions and thoughts as to how we can better serve our fans.

The summer of 2001 will be forever etched in our minds because of the tragic events of September 11. As an organization, we felt it was important to pause and mourn our nation's loss and then begin working diligently towards recovery. Our game with the New York Yankees on September 18 provided a very special moment, and we hope those of you who were able to attend were equally moved by the pregame ceremony. We appreciate, as well, your understanding and willingness to assist us with the new Comiskey Park security measures.

We want you to be the primary consideration in all that we do. From the smiles and autographs of our players to events such as SoxFest, to the hospitality of our guest relations representatives at home games, I expect the focus to be on serving our fans. We have worked hard to accomplish this goal, but we need to do even more. I promise that this organization will constantly strive to create an experience where our players and fans enjoy a personal connection as part of this franchise's success.

I thank you for your continued support, enthusiasm and passion for the White Sox and look forward to a very memorable 2002 season at Comiskey Park.

Sincerely,

Jerry Reinsdorf

Paulwny
11-04-2001, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I don't think this has been posted yet, but if it has, my apologies.

A letter from Jerry Reinsdorf
November, 2001

While General Manager Ken Williams and his staff search for creative ways to improve our club, we believe a healthy Sox team in 2002 will contend for the division title beginning on Opening Day.

Sincerely,

Jerry Reinsdorf

I guess this means no "big $$$" spending.

Jerry_Manuel
11-04-2001, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I guess this means no "big $$$" spending.

Anyone else worried by the comment:
"While General Manager Ken Williams and his staff search for creative ways to improve our club"

I am.

RKMeibalane
11-04-2001, 03:22 PM
This basically means that we're in for another year of frustration. Reinsdorf will never learn. He doesn't want to spend money, and then he wonders why no one shows up for games. It's simple- without money, there is little chance that any team will be competitive in professional sports, and fans (normal fans, anyway) don't want to watch bad teams play. Of course, there is that terrible team on the other side of Chicago, the team whose fans can't get enough of losing. :)