PDA

View Full Version : Why the Wheel play on back to back pitches?

hawkjt
04-15-2005, 04:12 PM
I know that Hawk is soooo happy to see the wheel play put on that he has not seen in six year(read thinly veiled shot at Manuel). Ok, I do not mind mixing it up with the element of surprise but going with it on back to back pitches?

Obviously the indians saw it coming and took full advantage by slapping a grounder thru the wide open SS hole that Juan had exited. It cost us the game and Hawk got real quiet about this tactic after that.

Maybe Jerry did not want to have it blow up in our face and thus elected to not employ this tactic. Again, I like it in small surprise doses but not when it is easily predictable.

We have been hurt by this play in the past when batting and it begs the question ; why can't we adjust on the fly and butcher boy or slap it thru the hole?

veeter
04-15-2005, 04:17 PM
Very good post. Cora burned the Sox last nite, that's for sure. D.J. did mention, however that Uribe broke too soon and did not disguise the play. It still took a very good (or lucky) slap to put the ball right in the hole. Cora though is known for his intelligence and you just have to tip your cap to him. I like your idea of not doing it every pitch but the wheel play should be used. It works.

Ol' No. 2
04-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Ahhh, but having used it once, that was the perfect time to use it again, because Cora would never expect them to do that. Unless he realized that they would think he thought that and do it anyway. Hmm...maybe this isn't so simple.:?:

Foulke You
04-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Very good post. Cora burned the Sox last nite, that's for sure. D.J. did mention, however that Uribe broke too soon and did not disguise the play. It still took a very good (or lucky) slap to put the ball right in the hole. Cora though is known for his intelligence and you just have to tip your cap to him. I like your idea of not doing it every pitch but the wheel play should be used. It works.

Uribe breaking too soon caused that play to fail. Cora had time to adjust and poke the ball where the fielders weren't. Good execution by them, bad execution by us. I wouldn't condemn using that play again though. It could have just as easily worked and gotten us out of a jam.

mmmmmbeeer
04-15-2005, 05:23 PM
what exactly is the "wheel play"? I missed a few innings last night and am definitely lost. Thanks.

owensmouth
04-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Why use it two times in a row? The situation had not changed. Alex Cora did a good job of punching the ball thru a vacated hole. It's been years since a member of the Sox has done the same when we were on offense.

jabrch
04-15-2005, 05:38 PM
what exactly is the "wheel play"? I missed a few innings last night and am definitely lost. Thanks.

The wheel play is a way to cover a bunt. It is also called the Rotation Play. The first and third basemen cover the bunt and the 2nd and SS go to cover first and third.

mmmmmbeeer
04-15-2005, 05:43 PM
The wheel play is a way to cover a bunt. It is also called the Rotation Play. The first and third basemen cover the bunt and the 2nd and SS go to cover first and third.

thanks jabrch, seems i'm familiar with the play but not the term.