PDA

View Full Version : Brewers to ink Sheets to extension

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-15-2005, 04:20 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/news/daywatch.asp

The Milwaukee Brewers have called a news conference for 3:45 this afternoon to announce an agreement on a long-term contract extension with pitching ace Ben Sheets (http://www.forecaster.ca/jsonline/baseball/player.cgi?1339).

Sheets, in his fifth season with the Brewers, has a 46-54 career record in the major leagues with a 3.92 ERA and 696 strikeouts.

He'll be on the mound tonight at Miller Park against the St. Louis Cardinals.

Sheets signed a $6 million deal for 2005 in February, but left open the option of tearing it up and negotiating a new four-year deal or merely adding a three-year extension.

Good to see the Brewers ink him up. Now we don't have to listen Gammons hype up a mid season trade between the Brewers and Red Sox/Yankees. :bandance:

Jjav829
04-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Good for the Brewers. Now we don't have to see unreasonable trade suggestions for the Sox to trade for Sheets and Gammons won't drool over Sheets in a Red Sox uniform.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Update: The deal is worth $38 million over 4 years. Definitely a great price for the Brewers.

maurice
04-15-2005, 04:40 PM
I know it's academic now, but I don't doubt for a minute that KW could have made a competitive offer for Sheets at the deadline. Outbidding other clubs for hot-shot starting pitchers definitely is his style (e.g., Wells, Colon, Garcia).

Jjav829
04-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Update: The deal is worth $38 million over 4 years. Definitely a great price for the Brewers.

Wow! That's an unbelievable bargain. He's probably worth about $12-13 million a year. That's a great deal for the Brewers.

Jjav829
04-15-2005, 04:42 PM
I know it's academic now, but I don't doubt for a minute that KW could have made a competitive offer for Sheets at the deadline. Outbidding other clubs for hot-shot starting pitchers definitely is his style (e.g., Wells, Colon, Garcia).

If Sheets was available, which I don't think he would have been, KW probably would have. I would have loved to see us trade for Sheets, but it was highly improbable.

jabrch
04-15-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm glad to see he stayed with the Brewers instead of go to NY, Boston, etc.

PAPChiSox729
04-15-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm glad to see he stayed with the Brewers instead of go to NY, Boston, etc.

Me too. I like to root for the Brew Crew. Plus not having to hear the experts go on about Sheets to the AL East will be nice.

AntoneSmith2
04-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Its nice to see a good player stay loyal to his team and sign an extension rather than go for the big bucks in the AL East for example.