PDA

View Full Version : Pods probably out till next week!

GiveMeSox
04-15-2005, 02:41 PM
This is from rotoworld

Scott Podsednik missed his second straight game yesterday with a groin injury.
Podsednik may not play for another few days. Hes making progress, but its not enough to go out and try it yet, trainer Herm Schneider said.

wildcat
04-15-2005, 02:43 PM
From Yahoo Sports:

The White Sox have indicated that they do not expect Podsednik to be in the lineup this weekend.

"Speed is his game and if you are not careful, that kind of injury can linger,'' Chicago trainer Herm Schneider said.

kittle42
04-15-2005, 02:44 PM
That lineup with Timo/Gload/Ozuna taking over for Everett and Pods will be great.

Ol' No. 2
04-15-2005, 02:50 PM
I'd be surprised if you didn't see Harris playing against RHP. Where, I don't know. I guess if he can play CF he can play LF. Ozzie will want the speed at the top of the order.

mike squires
04-15-2005, 02:50 PM
I think Ozuna is holding his own in there. He's got speed and can get on base.

Gload is not getting enough playing time to stay sharp, IMO... I kind of forgot about him until last night...

SOXintheBURGH
04-15-2005, 02:55 PM
:LTP

It could be worse!

mikehuff
04-15-2005, 03:04 PM
If Borchard comes back, I'm moving to Milwaukee.

I want Pods to take his time bacause we need him at 100% It's too early in the season to risk anything. If this was the playoffs, I'd say get your ass in there and run.

Unregistered
04-15-2005, 03:09 PM
I'll take Pods missing a few games right now over him missing several weeks in the middle of the season 'cause he tried to come back too fast.

LauraJ14
04-15-2005, 03:13 PM
I'd be surprised if you didn't see Harris playing against RHP. Where, I don't know. I guess if he can play CF he can play LF. Ozzie will want the speed at the top of the order.

Put Willie in CF and move Aaron to LF, then Iguchi can play 2nd and Willie can lead off.

Infallible
04-15-2005, 03:15 PM

It could be worse!

LMAO!:bandance:

itsnotrequired
04-15-2005, 03:17 PM
I'll take Pods missing a few games right now over him missing several weeks in the middle of the season 'cause he tried to come back too fast.

Agreed. Let the trainers make the call.

NSSoxFan
04-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Agreed. Let the trainers make the call.

Instead of starting a new thread, does anyone know what the status is of Crazy Carl. I know he is listed as day-to-day but is anyone sure if he is playing this weekend or not??

LVSoxFan
04-15-2005, 03:23 PM
SILVER LINING ALERT:

Ain't it a good feeling to know that, with Pods out--our starter--we still have plenty of guys who can step in with no big drop in quality?

When was the last time we could say that?

RKMeibalane
04-15-2005, 03:24 PM
SILVER LINING ALERT:

Ain't it a good feeling to know that, with Pods out--our starter--we still have plenty of guys who can step in with no big drop in quality?

When was the last time we could say that?

Probably 1993.

mikehuff
04-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Instead of starting a new thread, does anyone know what the status is of Crazy Carl. I know he is listed as day-to-day but is anyone sure if he is playing this weekend or not??

Some news stories just say that it's a bruise and that he could even start tonight. Nothing official from the Sox that I know of, but I would expect he sits out just tonight, then DH from then on.

MRKARNO
04-15-2005, 04:14 PM
By the time it's all over this year, Harris may have grabbed Podsednik's starting role as I think he might be a superior player than Podsednik. Can he steal the base as often and as well? He might get closer than you think, but probably not. Harris has a better eye than Podsednik and his minor league stats are indicative that he's more likely to be the better ballplayer. He's still only 26 so there's room to grow. He exhibited no power last year, but look at Brian Roberts. 4 Homers last year and 4 homers last week, so at his age the power growth can come out of nowhere sometimes.

I'm still going to be a Willie Harris supporter and I think there's going to be spot for him in the everyday lineup at some point this year. If not, then he's a very capable backup at 2nd, SS and CF.

mealfred13
04-15-2005, 04:19 PM
By the time it's all over this year, Harris may have grabbed Podsednik's starting role as I think he might be a superior player than Podsednik. Can he steal the base as often and as well? He might get closer than you think, but probably not. Harris has a better eye than Podsednik and his minor league stats are indicative that he's more likely to be the better ballplayer. He's still only 26 so there's room to grow. He exhibited no power last year, but look at Brian Roberts. 4 Homers last year and 4 homers last week, so at his age the power growth can come out of nowhere sometimes.

I'm still going to be a Willie Harris supporter and I think there's going to be spot for him in the everyday lineup at some point this year. If not, then he's a very capable backup at 2nd, SS and CF.

WOW, that's quite a stance to take. I can't say I disagree with you on thinking that Willie Harris might be a very good every-day starter if given the chance. He obviously can hit, as shown by his minor league numbers, but without alot of playing time, there's no telling if that translates to major-league hits. I don't think I'd go as far as to say he might have an increase in power numbers or even that he has more talent than Scott Podsednik, but I will agree that if he gets a chance to start more often, he'll be a productive player if he can learn to steal more.

gobears1987
04-15-2005, 04:21 PM
That lineup with Timo/Gload/Ozuna taking over for Everett and Pods will be great.
That lineup scored 6 runs yesterday. If it wasn't for defensive miscues they would've won.

mikehuff
04-15-2005, 04:21 PM

Podsednik has at least shown that he can earn a starting job in the majors and bat over .300. He has also shown that he can lead the league in steals in a bad year. Willie hasn't proven anything yet and doesn't have any real base stealing ability or ability to bunt. I wouldn't mind having him at 3B though, even if it's his first game ever over there.

Jjav829
04-15-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm not surprised. I figured he's miss this weekend and possibly make a trip to the DL.

But don't worry, we have Ozuna who has shown he can get on base even though he doesn't actually really get on base....unless the defense messes up.

hdog1017
04-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Its too bad we still don't have "The Deacon" Warren Newsome. Anybody know if he is still alive?

SOX ADDICT '73
04-15-2005, 04:56 PM
I'd like to personally thank any Sox fans who giggled with glee over the injuries to Morneau and Silva last week.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-15-2005, 04:58 PM

ESPN 1000 said he is in the lineup tonight (Friday). Buehrle is on air right now.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-15-2005, 05:01 PM
By the time it's all over this year, Harris may have grabbed Podsednik's starting role

I think Willie is more likely to grab Crede's role, via SS and moving Uribe to 3B.

MRKARNO
04-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Podsednik has at least shown that he can earn a starting job in the majors and bat over .300. He has also shown that he can lead the league in steals in a bad year. Willie hasn't proven anything yet and doesn't have any real base stealing ability or ability to bunt. I wouldn't mind having him at 3B though, even if it's his first game ever over there.

Podsednik has had two full years of near-every day duty to showcase his abilities at the major league level. Harris has had barely one full year. Who had the better year last year? While Podsednik did swipe 70 bags last year, Harris's OBP was 30 points higher. I think the stolen base is important, but if it comes down to getting on base vs stealing them, I'd take the former. One thing I see in Harris is an ability to be very patient with a pitcher, take a fair amount of walks, execute, have good speed and use an inside-outside swing to get a good amount of singles. I'm skeptical of Podsednik this year as I see only a few favorable trends, the primary one being that Miller Park suppressed his BA over the past 2 years. Harris is two years younger and there's no reason that he couldnt have a Podsednik-like season if he were given another chance.

Obviously Podsednik's huge advantage is the 70 steal season last year and the awesome 2003 season, but there's nothing to suggest that the 2003 season will be repeated and there's also nothing to suggest that his stolen bases are more valuable than getting on base at a higher rate. In fact, there's a lot to suggest just the opposite.

What I'm not doing is demanding that Harris get a starting spot, but what I am doing is suggesting that maybe Harris didnt get much of a chance and that I dont think Podsednik is as good as advertised. I would hope that Ozzie keeps a close eye on Harris because if Podsednik isnt performing well, Harris might be able to fill Podsednik's role....and do it better.

MRKARNO
04-15-2005, 05:14 PM
I think he is more likely to grab Crede's role, via SS and moving Uribe to 3B.

Crede has a lot more value at third base at this point than Podsednik does in a corner outfield spot. Crede's been looking better lately and I think he'll turn it around, but Podsednik I'm really concerned about.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Crede has a lot more value at third base at this point than Podsednik does in a corner outfield spot. Crede's been looking better lately and I think he'll turn it around, but Podsednik I'm really concerned about.

So Crede has helped the team more than Pods thus far, how so? I DO NOT want to turn this into another bash Joe thread, but Crede will never be able to jump start the offense like Pods can. Right?

MRKARNO
04-15-2005, 05:25 PM
So Crede has helped the team more than Pods thus far, how so? I DO NOT want to turn this into another bash Joe thread, but Crede will never be able to jump start the offense like Pods can. Right?

3B is not the offensive position that a corner outfield spot is. If you're not hitting above league average, then you have no business being in a corner outfield spot, whereas it's tolerable, but not preferred at third base.

Saying that Crede could never do such a thing is a vast generalization. If he could hit 25 homers while getting on base at a respectable clip (say .350 OBP, and this supposition is not entirely unreasonable), then that would be better than anything that Podsednik could be reasonably expected to produce.

elrod
04-15-2005, 05:26 PM
There was a short period early last year when Willie Harris decided to live up to his potential. Seems like he's having one of those kinds of periods now. So there is no better time than now for him to be filling in for Pods. With a decent Willie and an aggressive Pablo I'm fine with Pods until next week. I'm more concerned about Everett, though. He is a major gapper and power force for the lineup.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-15-2005, 05:32 PM
3B is not the offensive position that a corner outfield spot is. If you're not hitting above league average, then you have no business being in a corner outfield spot, whereas it's tolerable, but not preferred at third base.

Saying that Crede could never do such a thing is a vast generalization. If he could hit 25 homers while getting on base at a respectable clip (say .350 OBP, and this supposition is not entirely unreasonable), then that would be better than anything that Podsednik could be reasonably expected to produce.

I think 3B is all about the offense. If you don't have the ability to ever drive in 100 RBI, you are not a solid major league 3B. I don't think Crede has that ability to drive in 100 RBI.

Blueprint1
04-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Here come the Harris supporters again. They are back again because he had a few good games. Harris is not a everyday player. Didn't Harris get picked off first base again yesterday? He just isn't a smart player. Every year we have a bunch of people wanting him to start. Remember some of you thought he should play centerfield rather than Rowand last year?

Brian26
04-15-2005, 05:46 PM

"Ahem."