PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod Saves Boy's Life

RKMeibalane
04-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2037788)

Nice move by Alex Rodriguez here. People often like to portray athletes as being heroes because they can run faster and jump higher than most people can. Here though, we actually see an athlete perform an act that is truly heroic.

SOXintheBURGH
04-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Wow.. great story. Oh my God, I can't believe an 8 year old kid in Boston said his favorite Yankee was A-Rod.

Bo Bice 4 Pope
04-15-2005, 02:41 PM
While I donít agree with some of A-Rodís actions as a player (or a Yankee) you definitly have to applaud these actions as a human being.

mealfred13
04-15-2005, 02:51 PM
While I donít agree with some of A-Rodís actions as a player (or a Yankee) you definitly have to applaud these actions as a human being.

While I would tend to agree with you, I don't think the fact that he kept a kid from getting hit by a truck makes him any less of a pompous bastard. You'd have to be a real heartless SOB to NOT stop a kid from getting hit by a truck.

I'd go so far as to say even John Rocker would stop a kid of ethnic decent from being hit by an oncoming truck. It doesn't make him any less of a racist.

Fredsox
04-15-2005, 02:58 PM
While I would tend to agree with you, I don't think the fact that he kept a kid from getting hit by a truck makes him any less of a pompous bastard. You'd have to be a real heartless SOB to NOT stop a kid from getting hit by a truck.

I'd go so far as to say even John Rocker would stop a kid of ethnic decent from being hit by an oncoming truck. It doesn't make him any less of a racist.

There's a difference between knowing what the right thing to do is and actually doing it. You don't know what Rocker or anyone else would do because they have not been put in that situation of making a life-or-death decision. All of us think we know what the "right" thing is, this is an example of someone acting on it. Rodriguez behaved in an admirable fashion when it counted. Baseball or any other sport is just entertainment, what he did is real-life.

Fenway
04-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Well covered in Boston media

GLOBE No error on Newbury St.: A-Rod saves boy from truck (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/04/15/no_error_on_newbury_st_a_rod_saves_boy_from_truck)

CBS4http://images.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_image_204145143 http://wbz.dayport.com/launcher/8896/?tf=video_player.tpl (http://wbz.dayport.com/launcher/8896/?tf=video_player.tpl) VIDEO

Bo Bice 4 Pope
04-15-2005, 03:27 PM
well at least THERE not biased. sometimes I wonder if a Sox player saved mother teresa from death the papers would probably run it underneath the story of how the Cubs lose once agian.

mealfred13
04-15-2005, 03:29 PM
There's a difference between knowing what the right thing to do is and actually doing it. You don't know what Rocker or anyone else would do because they have not been put in that situation of making a life-or-death decision. All of us think we know what the "right" thing is, this is an example of someone acting on it. Rodriguez behaved in an admirable fashion when it counted. Baseball or any other sport is just entertainment, what he did is real-life.'

Oh COME on. You mean to tell me you believe there are people out there who would see the kid running towards the street with an oncoming car and NOT reach out their arm to stop him from getting hit? That's hardly running into a burning building to drag a child to safety.

I'm not saying it wasn't a admirable thing to do, but it's not something I don't think ANY other person would do, and doesn't make ARod any less of an a-hole. Now if he'd run out into the street to tackle a kid who had wandered out there, and risked his own life to save him, then maybe I'd change my opinion of the guy. But if you mean to tell me that there are people who would stand within arm's length of a boy running out into traffic and NOT reach out to hold them back, then this is a sad world we live in.

Iwritecode
04-15-2005, 03:50 PM
'

Oh COME on. You mean to tell me you believe there are people out there who would see the kid running towards the street with an oncoming car and NOT reach out their arm to stop him from getting hit? That's hardly running into a burning building to drag a child to safety.

I'm glad you said it because I was kinda thinking the same thing.

I'm curious how close the truck actually was to them and if the kid would have actually made it across the street if hadn't been stopped. I remember a few times when I was younger (and dumber) running across a street when I probably should've waited...

RKMeibalane
04-15-2005, 03:50 PM
'

I'm not saying it wasn't a admirable thing to do, but it's not something I don't think ANY other person would do, and doesn't make ARod any less of an a-hole. Now if he'd run out into the street to tackle a kid who had wandered out there, and risked his own life to save him, then maybe I'd change my opinion of the guy. But if you mean to tell me that there are people who would stand within arm's length of a boy running out into traffic and NOT reach out to hold them back, then this is a sad world we live in.

I'm not sure that I agree with you. There are a lot of sick and twisted people in the world right now. I can think of several people whom I've had the... distinction of knowing during my life that wouldn't lift a finger if someone else were in trouble. Besides, the article itself states that Rodriguez was almost hit by the truck. I think we should be more concerned about the fact that a child's life was saved than we should with whether Alex Rodriguez actually did something commendable.

mealfred13
04-15-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure that I agree with you. There are a lot of sick and twisted people in the world right now. I can think of several people whom I've had the... distinction of knowing during my life that wouldn't lift a finger if someone else were in trouble. Besides, the article itself states that Rodriguez was almost hit by the truck. I think we should be more concerned about the fact that a child's life was saved than we should with whether Alex Rodriguez actually did something commendable.

I think the article is being a little faciteous with their statements about ARod almost being hit himself. I mean take the kid's word for it:

''And this guy just puts his hand in front of me and says 'Whoa, buddy, watch out.'"

Obviously it was one of those things we all have done at some point in our lives, reaching out an arm to block someone from stepping into oncoming traffic. The kid was short and couldn't see an oncoming truck and ARod stuck his hand out to hold him back so he wouldn't get hit.

As I said before, he did not doing anything that anyone else wouldn't do. Now if the kid had run out into traffic and ARod ran out, risking life and limb to move him out of the way, that's a different story and I'd agree with you that there are MANY people who wouldn't do that. But sticking your arm out to block someone is not exactly God's work. I'll even go as far as to say I'd have MORE respect for ARod if he just came out and said something to the tune of "I didn't really do anything special. I just saw him about to step into traffic so I put out my hand to stop him from getting hurt or killed." Happens every day, folks. I'm sure the fact that ARod saved the kid made it seem like a huge deal, but I don't think there are people calling from the FDNY looking to hire the guy.

mweflen
04-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Next Week: Garry Sheffield Clubs Seal in Boston Harbor

SOX ADDICT '73
04-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Let's see...the kid says his favorite Yankee is A-Rod...but his family is from Boston...

I'm betting they're checking the boy thoroughly, with dollar signs in their eyes, for any lingering bruises.

"So my kid's just standin' there, mindin' his own business, and this lunatic comes outta nowhere and grabs him by the neck. Now he's permanently disabled. $Twelve million, yer honor!"

Stroker Ace
04-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Good to hear that. I've always seen A-Rod as a heel. Guess this has started to change my view on him.

RKMeibalane
04-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Good to hear that. I've always seen A-Rod as a heel. Guess this has started to change my view on him.

I didn't realize A-Rod was involved in the WWE these days. :cool:

NWSox
04-16-2005, 01:03 AM
I've already heard two jokes about this story today:

1. This is the only thing he's fielded cleanly all week.

2. It's good it wasn't Tim Wakefield's kid or he would have missed him completely.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week..

Fredsox
04-16-2005, 09:06 AM
'

Not saying that at all. I just said he had the chance to do it and he did it. you have to give him all the credit for that. I didn't say other people would not WANT to help, they might not be able to react as quickly. I apologize for not making my remarks more clear, but this was apparently a very split-second thing. He should be recognized for his action, not reminded of his personality flaws.

A. Cavatica
04-16-2005, 09:38 AM
When I saw the title of this thread, I just assumed A-Rod had all his old issues of Boys Life under his bed.

SOXintheBURGH
04-16-2005, 10:18 AM
When I saw the title of this thread, I just assumed A-Rod had all his old issues of Boys Life under his bed.

That can be taken rather perversly by an individual with a perverted mind.