PDA

View Full Version : 'South Side Story' in SI

popilius
04-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Has anyone else seen the small White Sox article (amid the big Flubs article) in the new Sports Illustrated? Writer Marty Burns' "South Side Story" claims that we are "the forgotten stepchild on baseball's boulevard of broken dreams." A bit dramatic, but all of a sudden, it seems that we are getting some national attention on our lengthy championship drought for better or worse.

Ozzie says curses are excuses. . and he's right.

Also in the article, Konerko says, "Maybe somebody should come up with [a curse]." Sorry, Paulie, but um. . . no. . .

:gulp:

RKMeibalane
04-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Has anyone else seen the small White Sox article (amid the big Flubs article) in the new Sports Illustrated? Writer Marty Burns' "South Side Story" claims that we are "the forgotten stepchild on baseball's boulevard of broken dreams." A bit dramatic, but all of a sudden, it seems that we are getting some national attention on our lengthy championship drought for better or worse.

In the article, Konerko says, "Maybe somebody should come up with [a curse]." Sorry, Paulie, but um. . . no. . .

I like Paulie, but there are times when he really needs to ****.

MIgrenade
04-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Looks like we may be next in line to be the nations baseball darlings...or maybe not.

Erik The Red
04-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Understatement of the week.

TDog
04-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Looks like we may be next in line to be the nations baseball darlings...or maybe not.

Only if we invent a curse and pretend we would have won if supernatural powers had not intervened (and throw opponent home run balls back onto the field to pretend they weren't hit, pretend to throw the actual home run balls back and yell at little kids to throw the actual balls back etc.).

That price is too high to pay.

Ol' No. 2
04-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Only if we invent a curse and pretend we would have won if supernatural powers had not intervened (and throw opponent home run balls back onto the field to pretend they weren't hit, pretend to throw the actual home run balls back and yell at little kids to throw the actual balls back etc.).

That price is too high to pay.Good news. I've located Andy the Clown's nose. We're planning to blow it up on Monday afternoon before the game. And we're going to cut up his shoes and pass them out to the tailgaters to barbecue before the game.

Or not.

mikehuff
04-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Man, the media must really be looking for a story. They must need one bad if they have to settle on talking about the White Sox. They're trying to create a story here. All this 1917 crap is starting to get a little too much press lately. I'd rather win the whole thing under the radar. Why do we need the media attention now?

whitesoxwilkes
04-15-2005, 04:01 PM

This from a Frank Thomas fan.

:bandance:

santo=dorf
04-15-2005, 04:03 PM

GMAB.

Let's see, there was the Frank Thomas **** back in 2002, and........ well I don't really know. :rolleyes:

mealfred13
04-15-2005, 04:08 PM

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks Paulie was being sarcastic.....?

Ol' No. 2
04-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Maybe I'm the only one that thinks Paulie was being sarcastic.....?Didn't SI get the memo on the proper use of teal? Maybe they need a visit from the...

:tealpolice:

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Probably the best thing said in this thread. I think Paulie was poking some fun at the Cubs...

mealfred13
04-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, too, but I could have sworn I saw a clip on CSN where Paulie actually made that comment to a reporter. And IIRC, he said it in the sort of "I dunno...maybe we need a curse" followed by a slight chuckle fashion.

Jjav829
04-15-2005, 04:32 PM

Nope. I read it as sarcastic. I don't think anyone would say than and mean it.

SOXSINCE'70
04-15-2005, 04:38 PM
I love the part about being step children in baseball's
"Boulevard Of Broken Dreams".Maybe Green Day should play
at Sox Park this summer.Hey,maybe Billie Joe Armstrong can sing
"Boulevard" instead of "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during the
7th inning stretch.:roflmao: :roflmao:

*****!!:rolling: :rolling:

PaleHoseGeorge
04-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Good news. I've located Andy the Clown's nose. We're planning to blow it up on Monday afternoon before the game. And we're going to cut up his shoes and pass them out to the tailgaters to barbecue before the game.

Or not.

Quick! Somebody alert the media!!!
:cool:

:knue
"That's the problem with you Sox Fans. You simply don't know how to play the game. Just park your brain in neutral and good things are coming your way. Just ask any idiot from the other side of town!"

Fake Chet Lemon
04-15-2005, 04:54 PM

Ozzie says curses are excuses. . and he's right.

Also in the article, Konerko says, "Maybe somebody should come up with [a curse]." Sorry, Paulie, but um. . . no. . .

I get disappointed when the players show off that they know nothing about their team's history. Paulie- The Black Sox thing! Ya never heard of it, we haven't won jack since. Regardless, it's a history of horse**** as Ozzie said.

DumpJerry
04-15-2005, 07:13 PM
I was thinking that SI either does not know about teal, or ran out of teal ink.:cool:

cwsox
04-15-2005, 07:18 PM

I will suggest that PK was being sarcastic.

Not every SI quote should be taken at face value.

DSpivack
04-15-2005, 07:30 PM
I get disappointed when the players show off that they know nothing about their team's history. Paulie- The Black Sox thing! Ya never heard of it, we haven't won jack since. Regardless, it's a history of horse**** as Ozzie said.

I still think the best "Curse" on the Cubs is Wrigley Field. They won a couple World Series, moved into a new stadium, and haven't won since.

Lip Man 1
04-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Ozzie's comment about curses and horse#$%^ clubs is worth the price of the issue alone.

Lip

SOXintheBURGH
04-16-2005, 12:49 AM
Ozzie's comment about curses and horse#$%^ clubs is worth the price of the issue alone.

Lip

Agreed.. up there with Ozzie's remarks about MB in the Sunday night game.

Nellie_Fox
04-16-2005, 01:24 AM
I still think the best "Curse" on the Cubs is Wrigley Field. They won a couple World Series, moved into a new stadium, and haven't won since.Now, this curse I like. Get the Chicago media to pick up on this one, and maybe there will be a move to get the urinal torn down.

FarWestChicago
04-16-2005, 01:30 AM
Now, this curse I like. Get the Chicago media to pick up on this one, and maybe there will be a move to get the urinal torn down.I don't know. I suspect the media likes the urine aroma for some reason. :D: