PDA

View Full Version : The Hafner Shift

BRDSR
04-15-2005, 11:31 AM
I was going to post this last night but I didn't get a chance. I read the postgame thread and didn't see this in it, so here goes:

What does everyone think about the Hafner Shift that was put on last night in the bottom of the first? Personally I don't mind the shift on pull hitters when there is nobody on base. Had Juan Uribe been playing a normal double play depth, like you usually would with a runner on first, that ground ball is a tailor made double play. Three up, three down, go to the top of the second with a one run lead. Also, Broussard doesn't hit the ball that Everett can't play and he doesn't leave with a contused(can you say that?) shoulder. Of course this is me playing Friday Morning Manager, and if the ball was hit through the would be hole between Harris and Gload I'd be praising Ozzie's genius, but as it is I feel like in a double play situation they should have been looking for the double play. If they get it right there and the rest of the game plays the way it did, White Sox win 6-4. Too bad.

whitesoxwilkes
04-15-2005, 04:03 PM
I was going to post this last night but I didn't get a chance. I read the postgame thread and didn't see this in it, so here goes:

What does everyone think about the Hafner Shift that was put on last night in the bottom of the first? Personally I don't mind the shift on pull hitters when there is nobody on base. Had Juan Uribe been playing a normal double play depth, like you usually would with a runner on first, that ground ball is a tailor made double play. Three up, three down, go to the top of the second with a one run lead. Also, Broussard doesn't hit the ball that Everett can't play and he doesn't leave with a contused(can you say that?) shoulder. Of course this is me playing Friday Morning Manager, and if the ball was hit through the would be hole between Harris and Gload I'd be praising Ozzie's genius, but as it is I feel like in a double play situation they should have been looking for the double play. If they get it right there and the rest of the game plays the way it did, White Sox win 6-4. Too bad.

I love the wheel play. But last night, I think Uribe broke too early (the ball went wayyyyyyyyy behind him) and Crede broke straight forward..maybe he should have cut diagonally a bit more.

santo=dorf
04-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I love the wheel play. But last night, I think Uribe broke too early (the ball went wayyyyyyyyy behind him) and Crede broke straight forward..maybe he should have cut diagonally a bit more.

He's talking about the play where Uribe was way up the middle and the ball took a bad hop. That was in the first, and I don't think that shift was for Hafner (he's been hitting the ball opposite field,) I think it was for Coco possibly stealing second.

The wheel play was during the Alex Cora at bat.

whitesoxwilkes
04-15-2005, 05:36 PM
He's talking about the play where Uribe was way up the middle and the ball took a bad hop. That was in the first, and I don't think that shift was for Hafner (he's been hitting the ball opposite field,) I think it was for Coco possibly stealing second.

The wheel play was during the Alex Cora at bat.

I stand corrected. Oops.