PDA

View Full Version : Gary Sheffield takes a swipe at a Red Sox fan

The Racehorse
04-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Gary Sheffield just took a poke at a Red Sox fan who was leaning over in the right field corner at Fenway Park. Security had to come out and separate Yankees who came out to defend Sheffield from the fans...

... looks like an over reaction from Sheffield to me. He must be taking lessons from Stephen Jackson, or suffering from 'roid rage.

The funniest [stoopidest] thing is having my ears pummeled by Rick Sutcliffe and Boomer Berman apologizing for Sheffield's swipe by continually saying the fan "just can't do that". Which in essence they're right... as much as Sheffield is wrong to swing at a fan in the stands. What a joke!

This story will have 'legs' for a few days [at least].

RKMeibalane
04-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Gary Sheffield just took a poke at a Red Sox fan who was leaning over in the right field corner at Fenway Park. Security had to come out and separate Yankees who came out to defend Sheffield from the fans...

... looks like an over reaction from Sheffield to me. He must be taking lessons from Stephen Jackson, or suffering from 'roid rage.

The funniest [stoopidest] thing is having my ears pummeled by Rick Sutcliffe and Boomer Berman apologizing for Sheffield's swipe by continually saying the fan "just can't do that". Which in essence they're right... as much as Sheffield is wrong to swing at a fan in the stands. What a joke!

This story will have 'legs' for a few days [at least].

Sheffield plays for the Yankees; therefore, anything he does is okay. If he played for the Sox, ESPN would have already scheduled the telecast of his execution.

FJA
04-14-2005, 09:34 PM
Does anyone else think ESPN's reaction to this is a bit overkill? Guy accidentally (at least I think) pokes Sheffield. Sheffield reacts initially and then restrains himself. Guy gets kicked out of park for doing what everyone knows you get kicked out for. What's the big deal?

Yet we're almost 10 minutes into Baseball Tonight and there is full coverage - at least two reporters on this story. Is this really a bigger story than the Nationals' first game in Washington?

Not that I'd expect anything less from these jokers.

RKMeibalane
04-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Does anyone else think ESPN's reaction to this is a bit overkill? Guy accidentally (at least I think) pokes Sheffield. Sheffield reacts initially and then restrains himself. Guy gets kicked out of park for doing what everyone knows you get kicked out for. What's the big deal?

Yet we're almost 10 minutes into Baseball Tonight and there is full coverage - at least two reporters on this story. Is this really a bigger story than the Nationals' first game in Washington?

Not that I'd expect anything less from these jokers.

ESPN cares only about things that happen in New York or Boston. If a nuclear bomb went off at Dodger Stadium, I doubt they would give a damn.

ChiSoxRowand
04-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Another example of that classy Yankees organization.

RKMeibalane
04-14-2005, 09:37 PM
I have a question. Why wasn't Sheffield asked to testify before Congress back in March?

SouthSide4Life
04-14-2005, 09:39 PM
if that fan wanted to hit Sheffield, he woulda made it count. he bearly creased his nose. i agree about Espn takin that incudent and running with it for far too long but when you have dumb arses like Chris Berman announcing for ya its bound to happen

whitesoxwilkes
04-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Actually, the Red Sox fan swiped at Sheffield.

You don't just reach out and smack a ballplayer and Sheff had every right to retaliate.

But oh, those BoSox fans are so cute and cuddly! Let's make a movie about them!

hose
04-14-2005, 09:41 PM
It looked like the guy got a piece of Sheffield's face when he swiped for the ball.

The guy wasn't leaning over the railing reaching for the ball , but was standing upright. My first reaction was a cheap shot by the fan and Sheffield must have felt the same way because he pushed the fan away from himself.

SluggersAway
04-14-2005, 09:43 PM
No story here. Nice swing, no contact. If you want to see problems with professional sports check out what happened in Italy this week. That was a mess with plenty of flares raining down on the field and even injuring the goalie. And then add to that riot police and plenty of folks in jail.

RKMeibalane
04-14-2005, 09:43 PM
I guess this incident means that Fenway isn't a safe place to play anymore. After all, that's what ESPN was saying after the Ligue fiasco in 2002. I wouldn't mind if the ESPN Headquarters blew up. Good gawd that place sucks!

RKMeibalane
04-14-2005, 09:44 PM
No story here. Nice swing, no contact. If you want to see problems with professional sports check out what happened in Italy this week. That was a mess with plenty of flares raining down on the field and even injuring the goalie. And then add to that riot police and plenty of folks in jail.

That incident was ridiculous. The thing is, crap like that happens all the time in Europe. The Ron Artest incident at the Palace is an everyday ocurrence over there.

TommyJohn
04-14-2005, 09:46 PM
I have to laugh at ESPN. It honestly didn't look like that big of a deal, but they
are having "full coverage." I'm not even sure if that guy swung at Sheffield on
purpose.

Of course, at nyyfans.com some posters are going on about scum lowlife
Boston fans and how it always seems to happen at Fenway. Oh, OK. So
that wasn't garbage I saw tossed out onto the field during Game 6 of the
ALCS, and those weren't the riot police called out during that game, either.

Baby Fisk
04-14-2005, 09:58 PM
The best part folks: we get to watch approx. 4,500 replays of this incident until October. :rolleyes:

D. TODD
04-14-2005, 09:58 PM

You don't just reach out and smack a ballplayer and Sheff had every right to retaliate.

But oh, those BoSox fans are so cute and cuddly! Let's make a movie about them! Screw the fan I for one am sick of idiot fans who believe buying a ticket gives them the right to be an ass. Now, Shefeild should show better restraint, but I in no way give the fan a pass here. I hope they gave him a very forceful hand in leaving the park.

whitesoxwilkes
04-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Screw the fan I for one am sick of idiot fans who believe buying a ticket gives them the right to be an ass. Now, Shefeild should show better restraint, but I in no way give the fan a pass here. I hope they gave him a very forceful hand in leaving the park.

How thick is a Boston phone book, Fenway?

shoota
04-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Watch Sheff's hat when the fan swings his arm. I think the fan hit Sheff's hat. I saw the back of Sheff's hat move like the brim was struck by the fan.

D. TODD
04-14-2005, 10:18 PM
The more I see the play, the more intentional the swipe by the fan looks. He clearly knew the ball was in play, and made no real effort to get the ball. He saw a chance to talk trash and take a little chicken**** poke at Sheffeild. I hope the fan is hit with a significant fine, until the fans have real consequences for acting inappropriately they will continue to act likes fools. Shef may still get fined , but I take back my statement about showing better restraint, because I believe he showed a good deal of restraint.

Baby Fisk
04-14-2005, 10:26 PM
The more I see the play, the more intentional the swipe by the fan looks. He clearly knew the ball was in play, and made no real effort to get the ball. He saw a chance to talk trash and take a little chicken**** poke at Sheffeild. I hope the fan is hit with a significant fine, until the fans have real consequences for acting inappropriately they will continue to act likes fools. Shef may still get fined , but I take back my statement about showing better restraint, because I believe he showed a good deal of restraint.
It's very clear that the swipe was intentional -- a little jab at a Yankee that escalated in a split second. Sheffield could have easily reached in and throttled the jerk, but didn't. The beer dumping by another fan looked intentional as well, even tho the YES commentators said it was accidental. Both teams have jerk fans, and it's good to know that ESPN will no doubt produce lengthy analysis on the matter. Only they won't use the word "jerk", they'll use "passionate". :rolleyes:

Viva Medias B's
04-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Screw the fan I for one am sick of idiot fans who believe buying a ticket gives them the right to be an ass.

Amen!

chisoxmike
04-14-2005, 10:48 PM
They did a recap of indicents involving fans and players. They left out both problems at the cell in 2002 and 2003, but showed the time when Cubs fans took the hat of a Dodger player.

Brian26
04-14-2005, 11:17 PM
The sickening part to me is the absolute lovefest ESPN has tried to make out of the incident, with all kinds of spin-control so that nobody looks bad.

They are ready to name the security guard who "stepped into battle" the next Pope. ESPN was sure to announce three times that the fan was NOT arrested. Berman and Sutcliffe called it a "non-play". Everyone defended Sheffield's reaction (including Harold Reynolds and Bowa), but everyone also said the fan didn't do anything terribly bad.

It's like they're just trying to protect their investment (Red Sox vs. Yankees). Nobody is at fault. Everything is wonderful.

balke
04-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Me or any of my buddies might be that fan at anytime with the Twins in town, and a bit of the alcohol. That being said, I would hope I'd get my ass arrested for it. That was some ignorant stuff being displayed. I think he was trying to knock Sheffields hat off, that's how I saw it. What a ****.

But for the record, if there's anyway I could snatch torii or jacque's hat cause they were too close to the fence, and I was a little drunk... who knows what would happen.

I don't even think Sheff should be punished. Maybe 2 games. I think most people would react similarly in his shoes. I'd hate to see how he'd react if he were still allowed to use roids. :o:

Nellie_Fox
04-15-2005, 12:30 AM
But for the record, if there's anyway I could snatch torii or jacque's hat cause they were too close to the fence, and I was a little drunk... who knows what would happen.If you don't think you can control your behavior when you're drinking, perhaps you should rethink raising your arm when the beer vendor comes around.

JaredNYM
04-15-2005, 12:37 AM
This is almost the same way ESPN reacted to the brawl in Detroit. At first, they blamed the fans, but then realized how stupid they sounded and then retracted everything they said. I feel like this is exactly what will happen here. Harold the idiot will realize how dumb he is, hopefully, and finally blame Sheffield. You should never hit a fan. The fan was drunk and Sheffield wasn't. Its that easy. Terrible thing to happen for any fans that dislike this rivalry (read:everyone but fans of these teams) because now they will talk about for even longer.:angry:

MHOUSE
04-15-2005, 02:42 AM
I live across the hall from a Red Sox fan and 3 doors down from a Yankee fan. Both born and bred at their respective ballparks. Arguing with either of them about anything involving baseball, let alone their respective teams, is like arguing with a wall. They don't listen and they don't care if it's not NY-Boston.

Bottom line, neither organization or fan base has the high ground on any matter involving class, money, or fans being "better" or worse. They live in their own world with their own rules and they have their own sports network to cover every second of it.

VivaOzzie
04-15-2005, 07:17 AM
I think Mohegan Sun got on the line with ESPN and made sure the clip was played as much as possible. Guaranteed those guys are sooo happy that these shinnanigans happened right in front of their sign. Great, lucky, advertising.

At the same time I would hope Sheff would be able to restrain himself after all thats gone on between players and fans, Detroit-Indiana and such. I dont blame him, i wouldve been right pissed off...but the guy seemed to barely have touched him. A seriously low-grade move by the boston fan though...

Cat Thief
04-15-2005, 07:28 AM
This is almost the same way ESPN reacted to the brawl in Detroit. At first, they blamed the fans, but then realized how stupid they sounded and then retracted everything they said. I feel like this is exactly what will happen here. Harold the idiot will realize how dumb he is, hopefully, and finally blame Sheffield. You should never hit a fan. The fan was drunk and Sheffield wasn't. Its that easy. Terrible thing to happen for any fans that dislike this rivalry (read:everyone but fans of these teams) because now they will talk about for even longer.:angry:

:kukoo:

I sure hope if one our players gets hit they hit back. Being drunk does not give you a free pass to act like an ***.

mikehuff
04-15-2005, 07:37 AM
Watch Sheff's hat when the fan swings his arm. I think the fan hit Sheff's hat. I saw the back of Sheff's hat move like the brim was struck by the fan.

That's what I was thinking. I think the fan was just trying to pop Sheffield's hat off because it would be "harmless" and funny. I can't imagine that someone would try to punch a player in the face in the middle of the play.
Sheffield didn't know what was happening though, so it makes sense that he was pissed.

But nothing happened anyway. Story over.

D. TODD
04-15-2005, 08:48 AM
That's what I was thinking. I think the fan was just trying to pop Sheffield's hat off because it would be "harmless" and funny. I can't imagine that someone would try to punch a player in the face in the middle of the play.
Sheffield didn't know what was happening though, so it makes sense that he was pissed.

But nothing happened anyway. Story over. Harmless & funny? Well I hope the every time your walking down the street or your at work someone walks up to you and pops off your hat. I'm sure you will appreciate the humor and ignore it.

Jerko
04-15-2005, 09:21 AM
The only coverage I liked about this New York Yankee-Boscago Red Cub incident from last night was that Harold Reynolds actually spoke out against fan behavior, starting with "fans should quit throwing home runs back onto the field". Well, Harold, nice call, but until YOUR NETWORK quits glorifying these morons (Red Sox Nation, Cubdumb), it'll never happen.

Jerko
04-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Harmless & funny? Well I hope the every time your walking down the street or your at work someone walks up to you and pops off your hat. I'm sure you will appreciate the humor and ignore it.

I agree. I wear hats a lot, and the ONE thing that pisses me off more than anything is some idiot who comes around trying to knock it off/take it. Just imagine getting mad normally and add to it that you're in the middle of a play and about to lose the game to your biggest rivals? Good lord, a 13 year old just killed a kid with a bat because he got teased that his little league team lost. A 13 YEAR OLD! In the heat of the moment I guess I give Sheffield credit for not running up in there, but I think he knew he'd be swarmed by those cute cuddly Bos-cago Red Cub fans. I never thought I could hate a team that I care so little about so much, but thanks to their fans, the Red Sox now adorn my **** list.

Red Sox Nation + Cubdumb =

:chunks

Dan H
04-15-2005, 09:35 AM
The fan had no right reaching over the wall and intefering with play. Fans ought to know better by now, but they keep doing it, and there is absolutely no excuse. Can't anyone act like a responsible adult?

But Sheffield is a hot head and has always been one. The fan was wrong, but I doubt that he deserved this overreaction. Watching the reply, I couldn't tell if the fan made contact or was even trying to make contact with Sheffield. And with all the ESPN instant analysis, no one was trying to get the fan's side to all of this.

And Rick Sutcliffe? He has always been known to be a jerk and a bully. Berman's antics have been getting old for a long time. It is time to mute ESPN. It's arrogance is only bested by its mediocrity.

TommyJohn
04-15-2005, 09:48 AM
It is time to mute ESPN. It's arrogance is only bested by its mediocrity.

I think you're wrong there. ESPN has yet to achieve mediocrity.

Rocklive99
04-15-2005, 12:12 PM
After having ESPN shove this down my throat, all I see is a nonissue. A guys hand maybe grazes (and Sheffield claims to be punched in the jaw) and Sheffield gives a little push/swing that completely misses. Hats off to the the little shrimp security guard though, huh Harold Reynolds? I'm sure he could've prevented something if someone really wanted to get jiggy.

I know Joe Torre has to protect his player, but "These people shouldn't be allowed to walk the street"? ***, did I miss something?

And in other news, ESPN doing their best to also protect the Red Sox fans who have another incident with Yankee players, making sure not to label the majority, unlike the situation in the Cell where we were all deemed trailer park trash

mikehuff
04-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Harmless & funny? Well I hope the every time your walking down the street or your at work someone walks up to you and pops off your hat. I'm sure you will appreciate the humor and ignore it.

That's why I put the word "harmless" in quotes. Of course the guy wanted to piss him off, that's what popping someone's hat off will do. I don't think he tried to punch him in the face though. That's what I meant by "harmless" in comparison to a punch in the face.

Rocky Soprano
04-15-2005, 01:13 PM
With all the Boston stuff Fenway posts, how come he hasnt dropped by yet? :cool:

I guess it's true, Red Sox Fans are just like Flub Fans.

ZachAL
04-15-2005, 01:23 PM

Ok, JaredNYM is actually my roommate here at school and I turned him onto this message board which he has been checking for quite a while because he thinks, rightly so, that this is a great website for baseball. But I cannot disagree more with some of the things he says here. Although I am also not a big Harold Reynolds fan. I agree that you should never hit a fan, but it does not matter whether the fan was drunk or not, the fan was in the wrong. Sheff should have just let security take care of it. And if one of our players ever took the time IN THE MIDDLE OF PLAY to hit a fan while David Ortiz was rounding third I would be pretty furious at that player. I mean come on now, all you have to do is think. But there is no excuse for this fan. I am so mad this happened, if anything just because now we have to watch more Yanks-Redsox stories on sportscenter

JoseCanseco6969
04-15-2005, 01:28 PM

But oh, those BoSox fans are so cute and cuddly! Let's make a movie about them!

Exactly. Why is everyone bashing Sheffield for it? Fans cant touch the players plain and simple. The fan is lucky he restrained himself from doing anything else.

JoseCanseco6969
04-15-2005, 01:30 PM

You said it man! Only difference is the design on their hats.

Bo Bice 4 Pope
04-15-2005, 01:39 PM
in my Opinoin this fan should be put in Jail. Extremely out of line, behavior.

Fenway
04-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Screw the fan I for one am sick of idiot fans who believe buying a ticket gives them the right to be an ass. Now, Shefeild should show better restraint, but I in no way give the fan a pass here. I hope they gave him a very forceful hand in leaving the park.

The Red Sox are "concerned" by what happened. In any event I think all agree that that the quick reaction by security not happened, we may have had another Ron Artest on our hands.

Red Sox 'serious and concered' about fan interference with player (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78703)
By Associated Press
BOSTON - The Boston Red Sox are ``serious and concerned'' Friday about a fan who interfered with and appeared to strike Yankees outfielder Gary Sheffield as he ... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78703)]

http://news.bostonherald.com/images/localRegional/frontpage.jpg (http://news.bostonherald.com/)http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/440121_sheff204152005.jpg

Fenway
04-15-2005, 02:50 PM
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/04/14/1113535399_2588-1.jpg
BOB RYAN: This scheduling leads to conflicts (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/04/15/this_scheduling_leads_to_conflicts)
(By Bob Ryan, Globe Columnist) Sorry, but what's the sense of wasting this kind of sporting entertainment on a cold April night?

Sheffield says he got hit in face (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/04/15/sheffield_says_he_got_hit_in_face)
(By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff)
New York Yankees outfielder Gary Sheffield, who said he thought "my lip was busted," pushed at a spectator who leaned over the front row in an apparent attempt to grab at a ball hit into the right-field corner last night in Fenway Park, but security quickly intervened before the incident escalated further.

Fiancee stands by her man (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78597)
By O’Ryan Johnson

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/images/redSox/sheffieldmug04152005.jpg
The fiancee of the Red Sox fan shoved by Gary Sheffield after the fan allegedly swung at the ... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78597)]

Fireworks at Fenway (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78596)
By Michael Silverman

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/images/redSox/titomug04152005.jpg
Thanks to a quick reaction by security personnel and last-second restraint by New York Yankees right fielder Gary Sheffield, ... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78596)]

Instant classic -- Sox corner Yanks in wild 8-5 victory (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78563)
By Jeff Horrigan
One of the most important pieces of advice Terry Francona's physicians prescribed last week when the Red Sox manager was discharged from Massachusetts General H... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78563)]

Fenway
04-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Meanwhile in New York

http://www.nydailynews.com/images/heads/head0415x.gif
http://www.nydailynews.com/images/odot.gif
http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/781-home0415.jpg
The Red Sox-Yankees rivalry turned ugly again last night as the Bombers came up empty and a fan got a piece of Gary Sheffield. Sheffield became enraged after a fan in the front row of the right field seats at Fenway Park made contact with his face as he bent down to pick up Jason Varitek's eighth-inning triple.
FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/300193p-256959c.html)

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/307-0415bigfront.jpghttp://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/461-0415bigback.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/img/back041505.gif (http://www.nypost.com/sports/sports.shtml)

Jerko
04-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Ahh, one day we're gonna all be behind cages and in Prohibition 2 at ballgames if these people don't start acting better than the average baboon.

TommyJohn
04-15-2005, 03:37 PM
http://www.nypost.com/img/back041505.gif (http://www.nypost.com/sports/sports.shtml)

This headline, without the period, pretty much sums up everyone's reaction
to this thing to me.

New York papers have their nerve anyway. GAME 6. GAME 6. GAME 6.
Slap-Rod. Riot Police. *Sound of deafening silence from New York.*

Fenway
04-15-2005, 03:50 PM
With all the Boston stuff Fenway posts, how come he hasnt dropped by yet? :cool:

I was on a plane :smile:

LOOK GET THIS STRAIGHT
WE ARE NOT LIKE FLUB FANS:angry:

Proof

1 It was the eight inning and fans were still in seats

2 We know a game is 9 innings and has 3 outs per inning

3 We don't need a flag on the scoreboard to tell us if we won or lost

4. NESN doesn't feature "babecam" like WGN
http://www.theheckler.com/public/spec/upload/girl1.179.jpg

maurice
04-15-2005, 03:52 PM
NESN doesn't feature "babecam" like WGN

So what you're saying is that Boston chicks are uglier than Chicago chicks.

It's hard to argue with that. :cool:

ChiSoxRowand
04-15-2005, 04:13 PM
The thing that pisses me off about this incident is that if it was Jermaine Dye the media would be ripping him to pieces because he's not a Yankee. Remember the Milton Bradley incident last september? The baseball tonight guys got all over him, and they defend Sheffield. I don't blame Sheffield to much, but he is at fault too. And the incident last night might not have been as bad as the Bradley incident, but it pisses me off that there is a double standard.

Fenway
04-15-2005, 04:19 PM

Our BIMBO'S are just as good as your BIMBO'S

http://www.jerrytrey.com/gosox.jpg

Jerko
04-15-2005, 04:26 PM
I'll take "RE". She has 2 beers.

mweflen
04-15-2005, 04:28 PM
I have to quote Paris Hilton here.

"That's hot."

I kinda like GO, actually. She looks like a very serious fan.

Jerko
04-15-2005, 04:34 PM
I wonder how many times they had to line up so the words would be spelled correctly. I bet the first picture said

RE GO OX DS or the like.

mealfred13
04-15-2005, 04:34 PM

Same here, but beer has nothing to do with it. :tongue:

Paulwny
04-15-2005, 04:40 PM

She's holding her boyfriend's beer. He's 6ft 4in 220lbs and he's taking the picture.
:gulp:

TommyJohn
04-15-2005, 06:04 PM
I wonder how many times they had to line up so the words would be spelled correctly. I bet the first picture said

RE GO OX DS or the like.

Like, fer sure! Go Oxdsre! Totally!

soxwon
04-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Hey Sheffield was in the right.

the fan hit him, sheff was good he didnt punch anyone.
get it straight.

sheffield was fielding a ball, he felt something hit his face slightly,
he got the ball, pushed the fan,
another fan threw a beer at him
he threw the ball
was going to hit the fan BUT DIDNT

no player, deserves to get hit.

arrest that fan and prosecute him.

AZChiSoxFan
04-15-2005, 06:51 PM
If a nuclear bomb went off at Dodger Stadium, I doubt they would give a damn.

CLASSIC!!!

C-Dawg
04-15-2005, 07:22 PM
I first learned of the Sheffield brawl on the 6AM news on WXRT when morning news gal (and alleged Sox fan) Susan Wincek read the story "In other sports news there was a brawl at a baseball game and it didn't involve the White Sox ". Now what kind of a slant is that? Its been 3 years since the Liques, she needs to get over it. I know the station claims she is a Sox fan, but she clearly isn't (just listen to her butcher the player's names if she's unfamiliar with them - like Joe Borchard, who has been bouncing around the Sox system for a couple years and she should have known how to pronounce his name). Couldn't she mention the Cubs and the hat-snatching incident instead?

Dan H
04-16-2005, 07:27 AM
The whole baseball establishment has been worshipping at the Gary Sheffield shrine, but we still haven't heard the fan's version as of this April 16 posting. I think the fan was wrong for intefering, but I also think the reply is inconclusive and we need to hear all sides. What is disturbing about this is the players' attitude toward the fans. It isn't good. Some of that attitude the fans earned, but many go to many games and don't pull this nonsense. And not everybody is as goofy as Cub and Red Sox fans. Some of those people really need to get a life.

spongyfungy
04-16-2005, 12:25 PM
See the FHM pics? The guy snapping pictures was a magazine writer.

http://www.fhmus.com/magazine/featured/

Fenway
04-16-2005, 02:38 PM
The whole baseball establishment has been worshipping at the Gary Sheffield shrine, but we still haven't heard the fan's version as of this April 16 posting. I think the fan was wrong for intefering, but I also think the reply is inconclusive and we need to hear all sides. What is disturbing about this is the players' attitude toward the fans. It isn't good. Some of that attitude the fans earned, but many go to many games and don't pull this nonsense. And not everybody is as goofy as Cub and Red Sox fans. Some of those people really need to get a life.

The fan isn't talking as he is in fear of losing his season tickets.

House's friends step up to the plate (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78747)
By Jessica Fargen & Rich Thompson
Those who know Chris House, the Dorchester bruiser who allegedly swiped at Yankees player Gar... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78747)]

Security guard saves day (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78751)
By Michael O'Connor
He was a blur in blue and red, but that wasn't Superman who leaped over the fence in right field to get between Yankees right... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78751)]

Francona: Fan meant no harm to Sheffield (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/04/16/francona_fan_meant_no_harm_to_sheffield)
(By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff)
Red Sox manager Terry Francona yesterday offered his take on Thursday night's run-in between Yankees right fielder Gary Sheffield and a fan after reviewing the episode approximately 20 times on tape.

Sox vow tough stance in wake of fan fracas: Interference may jeopardize season tickets (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78752)
By Michael Silverman
http://redsox.bostonherald.com/images//fansstp04162005.jpgRed Sox officials huddled yesterday, mulling a course of action on the heels of New York Yankees right fielder Gary Sheffield's scuffle with a fa... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=78752)]

TommyJohn
04-16-2005, 02:42 PM
They're treating this guy like he's a hardened criminal, for Pete's sake. I
wonder what kind of reception he'd get in any baseball stadium, compared
to all the roid users.

It still sickens me to this day that a guy like Sheffield is wearing a baseball
uniform, let alone being canonized for going after a fan.

Nellie_Fox
04-17-2005, 01:08 AM
It still sickens me to this day that a guy like Sheffield is wearing a baseball uniform, let alone being canonized for going after a fan.The point is, he didn't go after a fan. He momentarily retaliated after being hit by an idiot reaching for a ball in play (it can be argued that he was trying to hit Sheffield or going for the ball; it doesn't matter as a ball in play is not a souvenir) then restrained himself from doing anything further.

The whole incident is no big deal, and I don't understand why everyone is getting so wrapped around the axle about it.

MHOUSE
04-17-2005, 02:12 AM
Once a fan crosses the line from the seats to the field, then he is at the mercy of the players. They have a game to play and if some yahoo is trying to get in the middle of it then Sheffield (or any player) has the right to shove him back into his seat and say "sit down!" After that nothing more really happened so lets make this a non-issue and just chilax.

NY and Boston should play 162 games against eachother with a non-East Coast media blackout and whoever does better can come out and see where they stack up with the rest.

As for the Boston chicks vs. ChiTown girls, I would obviously go with my hometown girls who don't talk funny or date Jimmy Fallon. However, if it came down to it, "RE" girl has two beers and a baseball cap on so she wins out of that picture. Any girl who can double-fist her beers is a head above the rest.

Fenway
04-17-2005, 03:30 PM
This angle from NESN that ESPN didn't show really makes the fan look bad

http://boston.com/images/sports/redsox/2004/sheff-house-07.gif

TommyJohn
04-17-2005, 04:12 PM
The point is, he didn't go after a fan. He momentarily retaliated after being hit by an idiot reaching for a ball in play (it can be argued that he was trying to hit Sheffield or going for the ball; it doesn't matter as a ball in play is not a souvenir) then restrained himself from doing anything further.

The whole incident is no big deal, and I don't understand why everyone is getting so wrapped around the axle about it.

You're right, he did restrain himself. My point was exactly what you said in
the second paragraph; it is really no big deal. The guy isn't a hardened
criminal, you can't even tell if he was going for the ball, going for Sheffield,
trying to grab himself, whatever. No one knows what his intent was. I just
don't understand all the praise for Sheffield. If he had simply ignored the guy,
the situation wouldn't have blown up to begin with. I don't take fans sides,
either. Usually when an athlete hauls off and clocks a fan, it usually is
because the fan was being an unbelieveable ass. (Oakland, Detroit, etc.)
I just don't know if that applies to this situation.

Fenway
04-17-2005, 04:43 PM

However I think it is fair to say this fan won the prize for 2004

VIDEO ( watch girl cell phone )

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/baseballflash.wmv

The Racehorse
04-17-2005, 07:56 PM
However I think it is fair to say this fan won the prize for 2004

VIDEO ( watch girl cell phone )

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/baseballflash.wmv

Her parents must be very proud.

Fenway
04-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Her parents must be very proud.

Especially when their season tickets were revoked :smile:

The Racehorse
04-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Especially when their season tickets were revoked :smile:

Home town girl makes good! :roflmao:

Fenway
04-18-2005, 04:24 PM
The Red Sox have acted

BOSTON (AP) -- The spectator who interfered with New York Yankees (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/nyy/) right fielder Gary Sheffield (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/4268/) had his season tickets for 2005 revoked Monday by the Boston Red Sox (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/bos/).

A fan who spilled beer on Sheffield was prohibited from buying tickets for the rest of the season. ``We applaud the Red Sox for decisively dealing with this matter,'' Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said in a statement through spokesman Howard Rubenstein.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpa2lpNnFzBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=ap-yankees-redsox-sheffieldscuff&prov=ap&type=lgns