PDA

View Full Version : So who do you hate more, the Cubs or the Twins?

Mark Buehrle
04-14-2005, 04:49 PM
I have to say I hate the Twins more, because they're a direct threat and they've made sure we've been unsuccessful for the last several years.

ja1022
04-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Not even close. Cubs.

LVSoxFan
04-14-2005, 04:50 PM
CUBS. And their stinkin' whiner fans.

irish rover
04-14-2005, 04:51 PM
good question, I do hate the cub but I def go with Twins or however in the div that we are in battle for the title with

mike
04-14-2005, 04:52 PM
The twins players, and the cubs fans. Overall, the cubs would take it though.

Rocky Soprano
04-14-2005, 04:53 PM
I hate the Cubs more, but the Twins are not far behind.

Cowch44
04-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Twins are abnoxious, but the Cubbies are usually much worse. I guess right now the Twins, but....can't it be both?:D:

santo=dorf
04-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I hate the Twins' team, but I hate Cub fans.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Twins, but only because they're the AL central champs the past 3 seasons. Before that, I used to hate the Indians the most. However, the Cubs do have the honor of having my most hated fanbase. :smile:

CorkNKerrys
04-14-2005, 05:00 PM
I don't hate the Twins at all. I hate it when they beat us and I hate it that we finish second to them too often, but I really respect the Twins. They are always a tough game, and they play with their hearts on their sleeves.

The twins have a desire and a hustle that you have to like when watching baseball. The Cubs are just a bunch of hooligans who think they deserve glory. That's a big difference.

The same goes for fans. A Cub fan will cross the room and go out of his way to bash the White Sox if he sees someone wearing a black cap. Twins fans, in my experience, have a little more respect for the Sox. Really, the twins are a kind of underdog to us. They're a smaller market. I think the Twin Cities can enjoy a victory over Chicago like we would enjoy a victory over New York. I'm not just saying the Sox beating the Yankees, particularly the yankees recently, but if the Bulls beat the Knicks, The Blackhawks over the Islanders, and so on.

The Cubs are a bunch of mopes.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Just look at my sig

chisoxfan64
04-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Without a doubt that minor leaugue team over on the North side.

Karl
04-14-2005, 05:04 PM
I would have to go with the Cubs for obvious reasons.

brewcrew/chisox
04-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Hate both teams but respect the Twins...oh but aren't their fans the same ones that root for the Vikings?

Hate Cub fans; hate Vikin....I mean Twins fans.

Sox&Springsteen
04-14-2005, 05:15 PM
I hate the Twins' team, but I hate Cub fans.

Oh yesss, I can relate to this!!

I was living in St. Paul in 1987....Now picture a bunch of Nordic Ice Fisherman slowly awakening from a Lutefisk-induced slumber, leave behind their guns and fishing poles, and hop into their snowmobiles--"Oh wait, Karl, isn't baseball played in the Summer?" "Oh ja, ja!! Let's take the Station Wagon!!"-- like they are headed for a big giant Pep Rally in Iowa:

"Yippeeeee!!! Kirrrr-beeee!!!!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!" :rolleyes:

Worthy of pity, these people?....Yes, I guess perhaps. But hateworthy? No way.

DumpJerry
04-14-2005, 05:17 PM
No contest. Flubs. How many times have we seen Twin fans trolling here? Virtually zero. Flub fans? Puhleeeeese!

How many obnoxious postings from Twins' boards about the Sox are brought to our attention? Virtually none. Cub boards? More than I want to count.

We just don't like the Twins because they beat us each year. That will stop this year, however!

Risk
04-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Without a doubt--the "Unlovable Losers."

Look, as much as I hate the Twins b/c they are in our division and have finished first in the division for the last three years, I respect them b/c they have earned their accolades. The Flubs, on the other hand, have done nothing to earn my respect. Their players are just like their fans, combining stupidity and buffonery with arrogance and a sense of entitlement, even when they haven't earned it. For that reason, I despise them with every fiber of my existence.

Risk

MRKARNO
04-14-2005, 05:31 PM
The Twins. It is their success, most especially in 2003, which has prevented the White Sox from making the postseason and matching the North Siders for attention.

Karl
04-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Oh yesss, I can relate to this!!

I was living in St. Paul in 1987....Now picture a bunch of Nordic Ice Fisherman slowly awakening from a Lutefisk-induced slumber, leave behind their guns and fishing poles, and hop into their snowmobiles--"Oh wait, Karl, isn't baseball played in the Summer?" "Oh ja, ja!! Let's take the Station Wagon!!"-- like they are headed for a big giant Pep Rally in Iowa:

"Yippeeeee!!! Kirrrr-beeee!!!!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!" :rolleyes:

Worthy of pity, these people?....Yes, I guess perhaps. But hateworthy? No way.

lol. I think you got just about every Minnesotan stereo type out there.

And we don't need White Sox fan's pity. :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
04-14-2005, 05:35 PM
I hate the Cubs as a concept.

So clearly I hate the Twins more because at least they are a baseball team.

:cool:

Fredsox
04-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Hate is a strong term and it implies respect. I have respect for the Twins as a team and the organization, I just don't like their 'tude. I also wish I had their trophy case.

I don't respect the Cubs or their fans.

whitesoxwilkes
04-14-2005, 05:47 PM
I hate the way the Twins beat us every year, but I respect the fact that they always know how to get the job done.

As for the Cubs, I don't hate them. In fact, I just ignore them.

the gooch
04-14-2005, 05:55 PM
good points by all that say its cub fans we hate, but thats just because we are surrounded by them every day. twins fans can be obnoxious, we just dont hear it on such a daily level.

the twins are the goodie-two-shoes little brothers of the sox that make us look bad. they do everything we wish we could: not flashy, no scandals, good fundamentals, pitching and defense, low payroll, overachievers, etc. the fact that we have tried to copy their team approach this year shows that. theres no reason to hate them other than three reasons: 1. they are the reason we havent been in the playoffs the last three years, 2. that piece of crap they call a ballpark, and 3. torii hunter.
reasons to hate the cubs are far too many to list.

i hate the twins, but damnit i respect them (save hunter). the cubs only get hatred from me.

how many people "hated" AJ two years ago? (think detroit rodman vs chicago rodman) if AJ resigned with the giants and never came to the sox, who would you say you hate more: AJ or Sosa? thats too easy - try alou instead. thats too easy too - try umm... gruds. id say its easier to like a sox player that is a former twin than former cub.

with that said, i get up more for a twins series than the cubs series, and id cheer for the cubs IF they are playing the twins AND the central standings called for it, but it would be difficult. it would be more of a "why dont you win for once you ass holes!" kind of cheer.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-14-2005, 06:40 PM
When I first became interested in baseball, and became a Sox fan, it was 1977, or so, and I hated the Royals of Piatek, Brett, Mayberry, Otis, McRae, Splitdorf, Etc., and I hated the Cubs.

In the early 1980's, I couldn't stand the Royals, and the A's. Remember BillyBall, with Rickey Henderson? And I hated the Cubs.
In the mid 1980's, the Twins were good, and I couldn't stand them, but to see the Cubs lose 3 straight to the Padres was great.
In the late 1980's, I hated Oakland, with Stewart, and the Bash brothers. And the Cubs sucked, and I was happy.
In the early 1990's, I hated the Tribe. Albert Belle, etc, and the Cubs.
Now it's the Twins that I can't stand.
Divisional rivals come and go, but despision of the Cubs is eternal.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-14-2005, 09:14 PM
I have some respect for the Twins. I have NONE for the Flubs nor their fans. Therefore = CUBS

SOX ADDICT '73
04-14-2005, 10:07 PM
When the Cubs win, I don't give a crap.

When the Twins win, I want to put my fist through the wall.

spawn
04-14-2005, 10:16 PM
To answer that question, ask yourself this question: If the Sox were to dominate the Central the way the Twins have, and the Twins all of a sudden became as bad as the Royals, would your hatred for the Twins diminish? Mine sure would. No matter how the Cubs do, no matter how bad they are, I will still hate them, ergo, I hate the Cubs more.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-14-2005, 10:47 PM
To answer that question, ask yourself this question: If the Sox were to dominate the Central the way the Twins have, and the Twins all of a sudden became as bad as the Royals, would your hatred for the Twins diminish? Mine sure would. No matter how the Cubs do, no matter how bad they are, I will still hate them, ergo, I hate the Cubs more.
Call me an existentialist then, but I still hate the Twins more than any other team :angry:. Second comes the smug-faced, crooked-hat-wearing, baggy-uniformed Tribe, and the always-beat-us-even-when-they're-the-second-worst-team-in-baseball-history Tigers rank third. I hate Oakland for making our West Coast road trips so much fun. I hate the Yankees because Steinbrenner acts like the spoiled rich kid who just wants everybody else's toys.

I suppose if I gave a crap about them, the Cubs would rank sixth on my list.

Nellie_Fox
04-14-2005, 11:26 PM
lol. I think you got just about every Minnesotan stereo type out there.Not a single mention of tater tot hotdish.

How in the world does "hate" imply respect? That doesn't even make sense.

The Twins as big rivals will come and go. The Cubs will always be in Chicago. Cubs, hands down.

Palehose Pete
04-15-2005, 12:29 AM
When the Cubs win, I don't give a crap.

When the Twins win, I want to put my fist through the wall.

I couldn't agree more.

When the Cubs win, I think of the Cubs fans as trained seals who bark and slap their fins together when they're thrown a fish, or in this case, a win. Or a Kerry Wood strikeout. It's mildly entertaining for those with low expectations and IQs to match.

When I hear about a Twins win, I think about how I'd feel if someone took my full beer or ate my steak off of my plate: Mad. :angry:

BigEdWalsh
04-15-2005, 01:15 AM
When I first became interested in baseball, and became a Sox fan, it was 1977, or so, and I hated the Royals of Piatek, Brett, Mayberry, Otis, McRae, Splitdorf, Etc., and I hated the Cubs.

In the early 1980's, I couldn't stand the Royals, and the A's. Remember BillyBall, with Rickey Henderson? And I hated the Cubs.
In the mid 1980's, the Twins were good, and I couldn't stand them, but to see the Cubs lose 3 straight to the Padres was great.
In the late 1980's, I hated Oakland, with Stewart, and the Bash brothers. And the Cubs sucked, and I was happy.
In the early 1990's, I hated the Tribe. Albert Belle, etc, and the Cubs.
Now it's the Twins that I can't stand.
Divisional rivals come and go, but despision of the Cubs is eternal.

A while back there was another thread on this same issue. I said the same thing as you. In the AL, the teams we hate change, except for the Yankees, but the Flubs, that hatred is deep and just comes with the territory.
:pee :nocubs

StillMissOzzie
04-15-2005, 01:29 AM
I don't hate the Twins at all. I hate it when they beat us and I hate it that we finish second to them too often, but I really respect the Twins. They are always a tough game, and they play with their hearts on their sleeves.

The twins have a desire and a hustle that you have to like when watching baseball. The Cubs are just a bunch of hooligans who think they deserve glory. That's a big difference.

Well said. And living here in Chicago, I am constantly immersed in Cubbie crap as the media fawns all over the lovable losers.

sCrUBS in a landslide.

SMO
:gulp:

Sox&Springsteen
04-15-2005, 02:04 AM
Not a single mention of tater tot hotdish.

How in the world does "hate" imply respect? That doesn't even make sense.

The Twins as big rivals will come and go. The Cubs will always be in Chicago. Cubs, hands down.

Yes, excellent point,Nellie. It's really like Plato and the forms. Another poster alluded to this principle earlier (albeit indirectly) so let me give it a stab. One could say the Twins are worthy of hate because, at the moment, they embody the essence of "rivalness" which, taking the long view and in the great scheme of things, is really by definition only a temporary state. The Cubs, however, are worthy of hate because they, and they alone, embody intrinsic and permanent "Cubness." There is a difference.

Hot dish--this is what Twins fans would eat if they tailgated but they don't tailgate, that is what rude drivers from Wisconsin do.

doublem23
04-15-2005, 02:17 AM
A reference to Plato and the Forms in a thread about the Cubs and Twins? :cool: I love this board.

Anyways, Cubs, hands down. Especially since the Red Sox won the World Series and half of them feel they are eternal soulmates and somehow their success should be celebrated as Cub success as well. **** 'em.

Dan H
04-15-2005, 09:38 AM
This is no contest here. The Cubs and their weed-infested tradition need to go away and stay away.

henchmanUK
04-15-2005, 11:00 AM

The same goes for fans. A Cub fan will cross the room and go out of his way to bash the White Sox if he sees someone wearing a black cap. Twins fans, in my experience, have a little more respect for the Sox. Really, the twins are a kind of underdog to us. They're a smaller market. I think the Twin Cities can enjoy a victory over Chicago like we would enjoy a victory over New York. I'm not just saying the Sox beating the Yankees, particularly the yankees recently, but if the Bulls beat the Knicks, The Blackhawks over the Islanders, and so on.

I agree 100% with this.

ChiSox7
04-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Twins, and it's not really close.

jordan23ventura
04-15-2005, 12:02 PM
I respect the Twins because they are winners. They've won the division the last three years by beating us, and have had World Series glory. Despite a small payroll, a city who doesn't give a damn, and the fact that they play in one giant garbage dump they call a stadium, they still manage to put a competitive team on the field each year and find a way to win. They have developed some good MLB players and continue to produce talent from within.

The Cubs on the other hand... well, they lose. Not just sometimes, but consistently. The Cubs usually make a shortlived run at a division, fail, then sink to the bottom of the cellar for about a decade or so, then try to make a comeback via high draft choices. Occaisionally, a situation occurs where they suck so bad for so long that they end up drafting terrific players and it seems almost impossible for them to suck as bad as they do, but they never disappoint. They still lose. And what's even worse is that all these tards will fill a stadium and get hammered all day off the worst beer I can think of and then go home thinking they have some superior baseball knowledge. Cubs fans are generally whiners and complainers, whereas Sox fans are usually very honest about whether their current team sucks or not, and will give you an honest assessment as to why or why not.

chisoxmike
04-15-2005, 12:56 PM
I hate both teams, the Twins a little more becuase we battle with them for the divison, but one day, the Sox won't battle them for the divison, it may be the Indians, Tigers, or Royals, or, the Sox won't be batteling for anything.

The Twins are annoying, the players bother me, and the way we can never beat them when it matters most frusterates me. Their fans get on my nerves a bit.

The Cubs I hate because they could be in dead last and the Sox could be in first and the media around here would still give more coverage to the Cubs, there is clearly a bias in this town. Which is something we all need to start discussing a bit more. The fans...well...we all know about them. Where do I begin?

I could NEVER root for the Cubs. I don't care. "Cubdom" is stupid and losing isn't cute.

But, if the Twins and Cubs were ever to lock up in the world series, I would hope the Twins would beat them. I'm not saying I would root for the Twins, more so that I would want to see the Cubs lose, rather than the Twins win. Get me?

Shorty1983
04-15-2005, 01:10 PM
First of all the flubs are not in our divison nor our league. They can be the media darlings for all i care. As much as I dislike the Cubs, they will always be second to the twinkies. Winning is all I care about, the twins have ruined it for the last 3 years for me.

Gosox1917
04-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Hate the Cubs, always have, always will. I've only really hated the Twins since about 2001. The Cubs hatred has been in me ever since I became a Sox fan. It's something that your born with if you root for the Sox. In a few years, the Twins will fade and will be thought of the way the Royals are now. The Flubbies, however, will always be hated.

JoseCanseco6969
04-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Flubs

Bo Bice 4 Pope
04-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Nice topic & Good question. As for who I Hate more I would have to say the Twins. Not because I dislike them but because as the original poster said they are a threat to the team in most ways. But as for who I despise more it would certainly be the cubs. For a team that the media says is so great I would lose my lunch on a daily basis if I was a cub fan, their performance is “poor” if I had to put a word on it, but also consistantly poor. So I hate both but in various ways.

ondafarm
04-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Twins players, Cubs fans.

Karl
04-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Despite a small payroll, a city who doesn't give a damn, and the fact that they play in one giant garbage dump they call a stadium, they still manage to put a competitive team on the field each year and find a way to win.

A city that doesn’t give a damn? If we didn't give a damn why would we fight to save the Twins from being contracted or relocated like Montreal? Sure after our second World Series in 1991 fan attendance dropped sharply because of a tight wad owner and a bad baseball stadium. Plus the strike didn't help things here either. Then in 2001 interest picked up when our young prospect started to play better. And now I think we have some of the best fans in the game.

MRKARNO
04-15-2005, 03:20 PM
I guess here's the question, does it bother you more when Torii Hunter or Jacque Jones hits a homer or when Derrek Lee or Aramis Ramirez do it? I have to say the former.

Here's the only case where I intensely dislike the Cubs more: When they're in contention (or in the playoffs) and the White Sox are not, because then they are all over the headlines and it's unbearable. As much as I hate the Twins, I'd rather see them win the World Series any day of the week over the Cubs.

But on a day to day basis, I don't get upset when the Cubs win, but when the Twins win...it get really bothersome.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-15-2005, 03:22 PM
A city that doesn’t give a damn? If we didn't give a damn why would we fight to save the Twins from being contracted or relocated like Montreal? ....

Well you have to admit no meaningful progress has been made on building the Twinkies a new stadium since 2001 when the team was threatened with contraction. Sure a city the size of NYC can tell their local tightwad owner to get screwed, but a town the size of Minne-no-place?
:?:

Minnesotans ought to get on their knees and Thank God Montreal is in a foreign nation where the U.S. Congress has no real interest in getting involved. Had Montreal not existed, it could easily have been the Twins playing half their "home" games in San Juan the last 2 years.

"There but for the Grace of God go I..."

RKMeibalane
04-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Twins, no question. As much as I dislike the Cubs, my animosity towards them has more to do with their ridiculous fans than it does the actual team. Besides, I don't recall ever hearing any of the Cubs players running their mouths and showing the Sox any form of disrespect. Twins players do that as if it's a bodily function. Besides, the Twins are the reason why the Sox haven't been to the playoffs in five seasons. As a Sox fan, seeing my favorite team succeed means more than laughing at the North Siders.

TaylorStSox
04-15-2005, 03:32 PM
I hate every team in the central more than the Cubs. Hell, I hate every team in the American League more than the Cubs. The Cubs are up there with the Reds, Astros, Mets, Phillies and all the other teams I don't care about. Whether they win or lose has no meaning to me.

As far as their fans go. I was taught to ignore people as a child. They don't bother me. Unless, I have 25 obnoxiously drunk clowns on the red line with me after one of their games. I feel the same way about Sox fans in that regard though. Obnoxiously drunk people suck.

JKryl
04-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Nothing can beat my loathing for the Cubs and their pompous fans. However, that said, I wouldn't have them leave Chicago for the world. I just live for the day that the Sox win the series, and we get to rub it in. :D:

Karl
04-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Well you have to admit no meaningful progress has been made on building the Twinkies a new stadium since 2001 when the team was threatened with contraction. Sure a city the size of NYC can tell their local tightwad owner to get screwed, but a town the size of Minne-no-place?

Minnesotans ought to get on their knees and Thank God Montreal is in a foreign nation where the U.S. Congress has no real interest in getting involved. Had Montreal not existed, it could easily have been the Twins playing half their "home" games in San Juan the last 2 years.

"There but for the Grace of God go I..."

I completely agree, there has been little to no progress made in a new stadium. We are in a bad shape with the Twins, Vikings, and the Gopher football team wanting a new stadium. I hope we get an outdoor stadium It would be great.

And that second part would not have happened. Our fan support has been great these past four years where we would not have to play in San Juan.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-15-2005, 04:01 PM

And that second part would not have happened. Our fan support has been great these past four years where we would not have to play in San Juan.

That's a bit of a "chicken or the egg" sort of argument, don't you think?

Who is to say which came first? Did Montreal's attendance slip because the team sucked first or because the team was already sold to MLB and the new "owners" planning to play home games in San Juan? Even Chicagoans didn't support the Sox when Bud Selig stole one-third of the home games for Milwaukee in 1967-68. And our city is 5-times bigger than Minne-no-place.

For over 20 years Montreal supported their Expos like a major league city. Their ballpark is hardly older or more hated than the BaggieDome everyone knows and loathes. Montreal ownership mismanaged the franchise but the fans paid the price. Minnesotans benefited for having Montreal around to take the fall. Nothing has really changed the last four years except better ballclubs Minnesotans had no hand in developing.

Minnesotans caught a break with their MLB team just as surely as they didn't catch a break with their NHL team. You lost your hockey team to the frozen tundra of Dallas!
:roflmao:

I want Mags back
04-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Since I dont have Twin fans living in my house, id go Flubs, i have about a million more reasons but I 2 lazy too go on

Lip Man 1
04-15-2005, 10:38 PM
It will be very interesting to see what happens when the CBA expires and the MLBPA no longer has any legal say about 'contraction.'

Remember Carl Pohland is still the owner and the state still hasn't agreed to his extorsion for a new stadium that he, one of the wealthiest men on the planet could afford to build himself almost literally with his 'pocket change.'

The Twins are not out of the woods by any means on this. If Pohland was willing to close the door for 180 million he's perfectly capable of doing it again especially if the other owners up the ante.

I'd put them right along with the A's and Devil Rays as teams on the brink.

Lip

SOX ADDICT '73
04-15-2005, 10:58 PM
The Twins are not out of the woods by any means on this. If Pohland was willing to close the door for 180 million he's perfectly capable of doing it again especially if the other owners up the ante.
:reinsy "Will he take a personal check?"

(To get the full effect, you have to imagine this entire post in deep pink.)

Whitesox029
04-16-2005, 01:23 AM
Good thing the Cubs don't play our divisional rivals. I hate the Cubs more than any other team, but if the Sox need the Twins to lose then the Sox need the Twins to lose. I'd root for the Cubs if and only if it directly benefitted the Sox and their division race. As that doesn't apply in 2005, I don't see the need to address such questions for real. May they both lose the rest of their games this season.:tongue:

Sox&Springsteen
04-16-2005, 07:42 AM
May they both lose the rest of their games this season.:tongue:

I think you've probably summed it up best in a single line--perhaps whoever said compromise could never be intellectually honest was simply wrong.

I've really enjoyed this thread in the last couple of days. There have been very sound arguments made on both sides and some of the responses have certainly made me think.

Today, however, I am here to confess that I have just logged in here this afternoon after perusing the standings on Yahoo's MLB page....and saying I hate the Cubs more than the Twins hands down is a lot easier in the abstract when we are three games up and they aren't breathing down our necks. :angry:

Yes I know it's early in the season, but maybe we should ask this question again on 20 April.:D:

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Cubs. Main reason is that their fans are a lot closer then the Twin's fans.

I want Mags back
04-16-2005, 11:22 AM
The Blackhawks over the Islanders, and so on.

the rangers are much more important

Infallible
04-16-2005, 11:59 AM
My two favorite teams are the Chicago Whitesox and who's ever playing the Cubs.......I can't stand any of our divisional rivals but my loathing for the Cubs knows no bounds. Call me angry, call me bitter, but after decades of getting the Cubs rammed down my throat by the Chicagoland television stations, newspapers, and radio personalities proclaiming the greatness of the team with nary a mention of the Sox except when we lose; I've come to hate them.

Spicoli
04-16-2005, 03:09 PM
I don't hate the Twins, I want to beat them. I dislike them as competitiors and root against them because they are our division foes.

I hate the Cubs, what the whole organization stands for, and equally their fan base. They represent everything that is wrong with the world.

Karl
04-16-2005, 03:16 PM
That's a bit of a "chicken or the egg" sort of argument, don't you think?

Who is to say which came first? Did Montreal's attendance slip because the team sucked first or because the team was already sold to MLB and the new "owners" planning to play home games in San Juan? Even Chicagoans didn't support the Sox when Bud Selig stole one-third of the home games for Milwaukee in 1967-68. And our city is 5-times bigger than Minne-no-place.

For over 20 years Montreal supported their Expos like a major league city. Their ballpark is hardly older or more hated than the BaggieDome everyone knows and loathes. Montreal ownership mismanaged the franchise but the fans paid the price. Minnesotans benefited for having Montreal around to take the fall. Nothing has really changed the last four years except better ballclubs Minnesotans had no hand in developing.

Minnesotans caught a break with their MLB team just as surely as they didn't catch a break with their NHL team. You lost your hockey team to the frozen tundra of Dallas!
:roflmao:

Did we benefit from the Montreal Expos, sure it took some heat off of us. But I think the Twins will continue to play in Minnesota for a long time. We have the fan support for the only team to win a championship for Minnesota.

As for the North Stars, In Minnesota we have had a history of cheap owners. The biggest piece of crap would be Norm Green. But we have the Minnesota Wild now and in our first four years we have been in the Western Conference Finales.

MRKARNO
04-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Did we benefit from the Montreal Expos, sure it took some heat off of us. But I think the Twins will continue to play in Minnesota for a long time. We have the fan support for the only team to win a championship for Minnesota.

If Minnesota can't get their stadium built, I don't envision the Twins staying in Minnesota for too much longer. Las Vegas is clamoring for a team. Portland wants one too. Norfolk actually might be a better place than you'd think for a baseball team (they had something like 20,000 season ticket holders signed up in base the Expos were to move there). They might stay up to 10 years or so at very most, but if Carl Pohlad cant get his way, the "move the Twins" drumbeat might start up again with Montreal having moved and Florida getting a new stadium.

Karl
04-16-2005, 04:51 PM
I don't see a team being moved to Vegas. Baseball in a gambling state will not fly after the Rose scandal. I could see Portland being a team to worry about though. I think in the next ten years we will see a new outdoor stadium for the Twins. Minnesotans learned there lesson when the North Stars were stolen from us.

Infallible
04-16-2005, 06:19 PM
I don't see a team being moved to Vegas. Baseball in a gambling state will not fly after the Rose scandal. I could see Portland being a team to worry about though. I think in the next ten years we will see a new outdoor stadium for the Twins. Minnesotans learned there lesson when the North Stars were stolen from us.

They have the LV 51's farm club for the Dodgers and up until we acquired him Jeremy Giambi was the big name there. Caught a few games last year. BTW Gambling in Las Vegas happens on any and every professional sports team the world over. They even have designated sports bars where *ahem* gambling takes place for those particular teams.

balke
04-16-2005, 07:40 PM
I hate the Twins. They beat us w/ the worse starting team seemingly every year. They clinched in our stadium last season. They have Torii Hunter.

I think now, I hate Sox fans that hate the Cubs more than they like the White Sox the most. They are everywhere, and I find nothing more annoying. When you affect my teams record, as a Twin, Royal, Tiger, or Indian, then you are a problem to me. We play the Cubs like 6 games a year, and yet talk about them like they are defending W.S. champs.

I'm a Twin hater. I don't like the Cubs, I like messing around with cubbie buddies when they lose, but I would much rather focus on teams that matter, the team that talks trash about us, and that knocked out our catcher at home plate for one of the most memorable highlights of 2004.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-16-2005, 08:10 PM
I hate Sox fans that hate the Cubs more than they like the White Sox.
I agree with just about your entire post balke. At the game today, my wife pointed out how many people were wearing "Cubs Suck" shirts instead of Sox jerseys. I think "hate" might be a little strong, but it sure is annoying.

Last year, during the Sox/Cubs series at USCF, I noticed a number of fans proudly displaying shirts that said "Cork" in the form of the Cubs' logo. Heh heh, pretty clever. The problem is, to a national television audience it must've looked like our park was filled with more Cubs supporters than Sox fans. Folks should come to Sox games to support our team, not to slam a meaningless cross-town rival.

Oh, and I don't want the Twins moved. I want them gone. Contracted, disbanded, scattered to the four winds, whatever you want to call it. I want to see Jacque Jones roaming the outfield for the Astros, and Johan Santana starting for the Braves, and Torii Hunter...actually, I want to see Torii Hunter having to eat all of his food through a straw.

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2005, 10:20 PM
There are a lot of Sox fans that take the Cuns too seriously. Their days are ruined if the Cubs win. Sure I would like to see them lose, but the Sox will be most important to me. I think a lot of the fans that hate the Cubs more then they love the Sox need to ponder whether they are really Sox fans or just anti-Cub fans.

SOXSINCE'70
04-16-2005, 10:25 PM
It's a 2 way tie.The Twinkie fans crow as if they've won a WS since 1991
(newsflash:THEY HAVEN'T!!) Then there are all the sCrUBbie loooo-sahs
who think Prior's a "Messiah" and "Carrie Woods" is waaaayyyyyy
better than Mark Beuhrle.One of them has led the A.L. in IP's over the
past 2 years and has 71 career victories (including 2 in '05).

Guess which one i'm talking about!! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Whitesox029
04-16-2005, 11:00 PM
There are a lot of Sox fans that take the Cuns too seriously. Their days are ruined if the Cubs win. Sure I would like to see them lose, but the Sox will be most important to me. I think a lot of the fans that hate the Cubs more then they love the Sox need to ponder whether they are really Sox fans or just anti-Cub fans.
I haven't encountered any Sox fans like this. It's a myth generated by a combination of the media and Cubs fans who are bitter that we hate them. They then claim to not care about the Sox. I think I speak for everyone on this board when I say that the following is the order from most preferable to least preferable of Cubs-Sox win-lose combinations:
1. Sox win, Cubs lose
2. Sox win, Cubs win
3. Sox lose, Cubs lose
4. Sox lose, Cubs win
Today was a 2. My day was not ruined when the Cubs won. It barely affected me at all because I was so happy all day about Buehrle's gem.
This is how I feel now, it is how I have always felt, and it is how I always will feel. This not only applies to single games of course but to whole seasons in general. Anybody on this board who disagrees with this order of preference ought to banned.

Nellie_Fox
04-17-2005, 12:59 AM
I don't see a team being moved to Vegas. Baseball in a gambling state will not fly after the Rose scandal. You'd be hard pressed to find a non-gambling state these days. Yeah, I know, only Vegas takes sports bets (at least I think that's the case; maybe Atlantic City does) but the point is that the association with gambling is becoming a lot less important as more and more states are trying to balance their budgets with lotteries and casinos.

The Racehorse
04-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Twins.

Cubs might play in the right city, but they play in the wrong league... little league doesn't count. :roflmao: