PDA

View Full Version : The First Nationals Home Game

VenturaFan23
04-14-2005, 03:26 PM
All day in their updates, ESPN radio has been talking about all the festivities that will be going on and hyping up tonight's first Nationals home game. Yet their "thursday special" baseball game is Boston vs. New York.....AGAIN?? :?: Haven't they realized yet that there are more than two teams in baseball? You would think the majority of fans would be curious to see the Washington game. Just a thought.

MisterB
04-14-2005, 03:58 PM
I guess the good news is we won't be subjected to another national Yanks-Red Sox game for another 6 weeks (Fox & ESPN on consecutive days :rolleyes:).

Rocklive99
04-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I know, I was hoping to see some Opening Night Nats action, I am sooo bored with Red Sox/Yankees, I only watched opening night. Maybe they don't understand that those who aren't fans of those teams don't give a monkey's butt about their rivalry. ESPN, the unofficial flagship of the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees

kcsportscaster
04-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Thankfully there are some out there that are as sick as I am of the four letter network constantly force feeding us the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry. ESPN had their chance to pick up the historic Nationals home opener against the Diamondbacks tonight, AND THEY FREAKIN' BLEW IT!!!!:angry: Instead, we get yet another Yankees/Red Sox game. WILL THIS LOVE FEST THE FOUR LETTER NETWORK HAS WITH THE YANKEES AND RED SOX EVER END????:angry: ENOUGH IS FREAKIN' ENOUGH!!!! I know it's all about ratings, even on cable, but the four letter network flat out blew it by not picking up the Nationals home opener tonight.

As a form of protest, I am personally inviting all of you out there join me in a boycott of ESPN's Yankees/Red Sox love fest, and for those of you in the Sox Comcast SportsNet-Chicago region, watch the Sox game on your regular TV while checking out the Nationals home opener on mlb.tv or go back and forth if you have the Extra Innings package. Being in Alabama, I'll have to watch both games on mlb.tv while boycotting the four letter network because I am stuck with only regular cable without the Extra Innings package.

I am very anxious to see how RFK Stadium will look with a baseball configuration as well as how their fans will respond. It's a sad commentary on ESPN's part when those of us who acknowledge the fact that there are 28 other teams in MLB other than their Yankees and Red Sox who want to watch a historical home opener will have to scramble around to either find a sports bar, a friend's house, or get on mlb.tv to watch it.:angry:

Fenway
04-14-2005, 04:41 PM
I know one person in Chicago who will be watching Red Sox-NYY tonight :smile:

ANYHOW The Sun-Times political columnist writes about the Nats and why she can not be s White Sox fan ever again...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sweet/cst-edt-sweet14.html

I had to quit the White Sox because of the legislative-sleight-of-hand lawmakers pulled to keep the team in Chicago.

I was in Springfield covering the Illinois General Assembly on June 30, 1988. It was near midnight. Then-Gov. James R. Thompson was working the House floor to round up the 60 votes the Sox stadium bill needed to pass.

The date is important, because the Illinois Constitution mandates that any bill passed after June 30 is not effective for another year unless it passes with a three-fifths majority.

House Speaker Michael J. Madigan (D-Chicago) kept the roll call opened until a 60th vote was found. At that point, the presiding officer declared the measure passed at 11:59 p.m., even though the print-out of the electronically recorded tally said it was 12:03 on July 1. Every time I drive by the new Comiskey Park when I am in Chicago (I know, U.S. Cellular Field), I see it as the House that Cheating Built.

ewokpelts
04-14-2005, 04:46 PM

ANYHOW The Sun-Times political columnist writes about the Nats and why she can not be s White Sox fan ever again...

I had to quit the White Sox because of the legislative-sleight-of-hand lawmakers pulled to keep the team in Chicago.

I was in Springfield covering the Illinois General Assembly on June 30, 1988. It was near midnight. Then-Gov. James R. Thompson was working the House floor to round up the 60 votes the Sox stadium bill needed to pass.

The date is important, because the Illinois Constitution mandates that any bill passed after June 30 is not effective for another year unless it passes with a three-fifths majority.

House Speaker Michael J. Madigan (D-Chicago) kept the roll call opened until a 60th vote was found. At that point, the presiding officer declared the measure passed at 11:59 p.m., even though the print-out of the electronically recorded tally said it was 12:03 on July 1. Every time I drive by the new Comiskey Park when I am in Chicago (I know, U.S. Cellular Field), I see it as the House that Cheating Built.

she's a cubbie loving troll that 's now a nats fan....
Gene

Foulke You
04-14-2005, 05:05 PM
she's a cubbie loving troll that 's now a nats fan....
Gene

Bingo!

"Once I was for the Cubs. I am a North Sider and I grew up a Cubs fan. I just happen to live in Washington, but I know who I am and where I come from. I did not leave the Cubs; the Cubs left me. I was forced to drop them when the Tribune Co. bought the team. It was hard. But I work for the Sun-Times."

Ol' No. 2
04-14-2005, 05:28 PM

Excuse me while I shed a tear.

Lip Man 1
04-14-2005, 05:45 PM
ESPN will continue to put on Red Sox / Yankees ad naseum because the ratings in the Northeast are out of site for those games.

ESPN (Cap Cities / ABC) is a business first...they couldn't care less what the rest of the country wants to see.

Lip

Fenway
04-14-2005, 05:48 PM
ESPN will continue to put on Red Sox / Yankees ad naseum because the ratings in the Northeast are out of site for those games.

ESPN (Cap Cities / ABC) is a business first...they couldn't care less what the rest of the country wants to see.

Lip

Yes ratings are out of sight on NESN and YES

Northeast has been getting Indians/White Sox the past 3 games on ESPN

NonetheLoaiza
04-14-2005, 05:49 PM
I was really hoping to see RFK and all the fanfare with the new team in DC tonight. Oh well, guess I'll just have to watch the 2 minute segment 35 minutes into SportsCenter after the 25 minutes of Red Sox - Yankees highlights, analysis, and postgame interviews...

Fenway
04-14-2005, 05:54 PM
The Nats/Diamondbacks game is not on Extra Innings EITHER

MB01 7:00PM Chicago White Sox at Cleveland FSOH
MB02 7:00PM NY Yankees at Boston NESN
MB03 7:00PM Houston at NY Mets FSNY
MB04 7:00PM Baltimore at Tampa Bay FSFL
MB05 8:00PM Toronto at Texas FSSW
MB06 8:00PM Detroit at Minnesota FSNO-M

Jerko
04-14-2005, 08:58 PM
I saw that. I wanted to see their first home game and alas, no coverage at all. They should have stayed in Montreal.

kcsportscaster
04-14-2005, 10:03 PM
The Nats/Diamondbacks game is not on Extra Innings EITHER

MB01 7:00PM Chicago White Sox at Cleveland FSOH
MB02 7:00PM NY Yankees at Boston NESN
MB03 7:00PM Houston at NY Mets FSNY
MB04 7:00PM Baltimore at Tampa Bay FSFL
MB05 8:00PM Toronto at Texas FSSW
MB06 8:00PM Detroit at Minnesota FSNO-M

The game, a Nats 5-3 win over the D'Backs, was on mlb.tv and I was watching it, WHEN THE DAMNED SCREEN DIDN'T FREEZE!!!! However, when I was watching the Sox 8-6 loss to the Indians, the screen did NOT freeze. Was this because a ton of people were trying to watch the game because of ESPN basically ignoring it, thus causing the screen to freeze????

As for the game, maybe the best atmosphere for a home opener I have seen in many years, similar to a World Series atmosphere with all of the dignitaties in attendance. One young girl even held up a sign stating something to the effect of My dad was 11 during the last game and this is my first game and I'm 11. Nats play-by-play guy Mel Proctor, who used to do Orioles games, even referred to the Orioles as "The team up north" during the telecast, LOL!!!!

For those who saw it, give me an opinion of Vinny Castilla being hit by the first pitch by D'Backs reliever Lance Cormier, an Alabama alum BTW, in the bottom of the 8th as Castilla only needed a single for the cycle that resulted in home plate umpire Jim Joyce issuing a warning to both teams? I certainly thought it was intentional. Proctor and Ron Darling also thought it was intentional, and so did the fans as they were booing Cormier from that moment on until the inning ended.

Viva Medias B's
04-14-2005, 10:33 PM
I was really hoping to see RFK and all the fanfare with the new team in DC tonight. Oh well, guess I'll just have to watch the 2 minute segment 35 minutes into SportsCenter after the 25 minutes of Red Sox - Yankees highlights, analysis, and postgame interviews...

The Gary Sheffield incident will double the SC airtime to this game. Meanwhile, an SC anchor said to the effect of "Palace of Auburn Hills written all over it." *****!!!

balke
04-15-2005, 12:18 AM
For all the hype, it would have been really nice to see the Nationals, who have the president of the United States throwing out the first pitch, win their first home game.

Had there been no violence, I'd be way more upset. But still, it doesn't make sense to me to show this Yanks game... when you've shown like 5 already. That's not even so much complaining, as it is me not understanding how you make the decision that way.

I guess the Nationals will still be the Expos w/ no respect.

Brian26
04-15-2005, 11:35 AM
I saw that they replaced the soccerball clock with the "DC Nationals" logo....great idea.

DC Sox Fan
04-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Well let me tell you folks, that was an experience I will NEVER forget. Our seats were in the nosebleeds, but still great sitelines, with the exception of not seeing deep RF because of how close the upper deck is. The atmosphere was indescribable, and RFK polished up pretty nicely for an old cookie-cutter. I'll never forget watching the movable 3B line stands bounce up and down and feel the stadium shake like she hadn't done since the 'Skins moved out. Here are some pix of the field/stadium from my seats:

http://img93.echo.cx/img93/8598/dscf00334ub.jpg
http://img93.echo.cx/img93/9799/dscf00250we.jpg
If you look just to the right of the press booth in the 2nd pic, you'll see "W" in his box. I have a full gallery of pix to share. Some of tailgating, the game, and some that will just make you say "***" They're all here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/radekmf/album?.dir=cd79&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/radekmf/my_photos

Security was the worst. You'll notice a couple pix of the masses lining up to go through the metal detectors. Took us 45 minutes. Unreal. In attendance, besides the prez, commish, and various politicos was the chairman himself!
Reinsy got front row seats as he was the one from MLB who put together the new stadium deal that landed us the Nats.

AZChiSoxFan
04-15-2005, 06:31 PM
In attendance, besides the prez, commish, and various politicos was the chairman himself!
Reinsy got front row seats as he was the one from MLB who put together the new stadium deal that landed us the Nats.

I guess I'm one of the few people who got to see the game. Since they played the D-Backs, the game was on local TV in Phoenix. The local channel here showed JR at the game and then the D-backs announcers (Thom Brennaman and Mark Grace) talked about the Sox for a little while. They both mentioned that despite its reputation, they believe USCF is a very nice ballpark.