PDA

View Full Version : Can Uribe adjust?

Fake Chet Lemon
04-14-2005, 03:30 PM
The league has figured Uribe out some, can he adjust? After hitting about .400 early last year the league figured out he is a free swinger. Everyone pitches him much differently, with tons of high fastballs out of the zone. It's up to him now to adjust. Can he, and if so to what level? I think he will some and settle in at about .280. If he hits .280, plays solid defense, and steals some bases I think that makes him very valuable. It's so nice to not hold my breath anymore when a ball is hit to SS late in a game. But I don't think he'll be the .300 hitter we hoped last year he would develop into.

Jerko
04-14-2005, 03:53 PM
I don't know what his problem is. He is great at hitting sac flies in late innings, and the rest of the time he can't even make contact it seems. I think he'll come around.

veeter
04-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Uribe is a textbook streak hitter. Hopefully he'll hit a hot streak soon. If he does look out. Heck Dye and Rowand aren't really hitting yet either. The Sox are winning and the big boppers other than Carl are cold. This has to bode well.

Shorty1983
04-14-2005, 04:03 PM
It looks like all the guys who were hitting great in ST havn't hit so good since the season started rowand, uribe, and dye. Coop needs to teach Uribe another swing technique and to be alittle more patient. He chases the ball way out of the strikezone and causes him to catch the 1-2 count fast.

Tekijawa
04-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Coop needs to teach Uribe another swing technique and to be alittle more patient.

:?: Probably not, but maybe he can lern him a nice slider!

owensmouth
04-14-2005, 04:19 PM
The biggest problem is that there's nobody who can help him with that swing.

SSN721
04-14-2005, 04:24 PM
The league has figured Uribe out some, can he adjust? After hitting about .400 early last year the league figured out he is a free swinger. Everyone pitches him much differently, with tons of high fastballs out of the zone. It's up to him now to adjust. Can he, and if so to what level? I think he will some and settle in at about .280. If he hits .280, plays solid defense, and steals some bases I think that makes him very valuable. It's so nice to not hold my breath anymore when a ball is hit to SS late in a game. But I don't think he'll be the .300 hitter we hoped last year he would develop into.

I dont know how many people hoped he would become a .300 hitter, just looking at his career history. I would be perfectly happy if he was hitting .260-.270, maybe 15-20 HRs. That with his stellar defense would be more then acceptable to me for Uribe.

batmanZoSo
04-14-2005, 04:32 PM
I dont know how many people hoped he would become a .300 hitter, just looking at his career history. I would be perfectly happy if he was hitting .260-.270, maybe 15-20 HRs. That with his stellar defense would be more then acceptable to me for Uribe.

He's strong as an ox, so as long as he isn't stinking it up, he'll probably hit 20 homers a year especially at this park. I'll also take .270 with that. Can't get much better than him for the price.

Shorty1983
04-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Interesting view on latin baseball players free swinging.

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030722-081340-3052r

UofCSoxFan
04-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Uribe just needs to be more selective....that is work the counts so he needs to get a fastball that he can drive.

Aggressive within the strike zone...if its there hit it hard

very few can hit .300 chasing bad pitches

RKMeibalane
04-14-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm not concerned about it. Players like Uribe go through streaks and slumps frequently over the course of a season. He had about two or three different cold streaks in 2004, sandwhiched around his hot streaks. Let's also keep in mind that (not to beat a dead horse) Frank isn't playing, yet. His ability to take walks and read pitchers will make things easier for everyone. If Uribe is still tanking in May, I'll worry, but eight games is hardly enough time to judge how a player's season is going to turn out.

maurice
04-14-2005, 05:17 PM
very few can hit .300 chasing bad pitches

:ozzie
"Ah heet .288 one year."

Paulwny
04-14-2005, 06:41 PM
I don't remember who said it, but it appears to be feeling of many players from the islands. " You don't get off the island by walking. "
The idea of putting up numbers to be noticed has caused a loss of being selective at the plate.

SoxxoS
04-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Uribe just needs to be more selective....that is work the counts so he needs to get a fastball that he can drive.

Most non-shalant, hardest thing to do, EVER.

Either you are selective or you aren't. Very rarely does a hitter go from a Aaron Miles to a Adam Dunn in terms of selectivity.

California Sox
04-15-2005, 12:21 AM
I don't remember who said it, but it appears to be feeling of many players from the islands. " You don't get off the island by walking. "
The idea of putting up numbers to be noticed has caused a loss of being selective at the plate.

I believe the quote is from the great Damaso Garcia of the Blue Jays. He said, "You can't walk off the island." Pretty pithy for a guy who's not a native English speaker.

cburns
04-15-2005, 12:29 AM
Everytime I watch Uribe at the plate, it just reminds me of Sosa. Swings as hard as he can, loves the high fast ball..hopefully Uribe can calm down a bit at the plate.

mealfred13
04-15-2005, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't mind so much if Uribe at least made contact on bad pitches. Being a contact hitter would at least give him a better average ala Pierzynski, but doesn't mean he'd necessarily walk more.

A couple times last year, it seemed he'd gotten very good at drawing the walk in key situations, but generally he swings at almost anything. From what I saw in those few at-bats where he drew a walk, I think he has to eye to do it, but would rather get the hit than sit on pitches. I don't think he lacks the ability to lay off pitches, but rather he's used to being a free swinger, and doesn't have much patience at the plate unless it's a critical situation.