PDA

View Full Version : Twins Injury Update If Interested

OldTwinsFan
04-14-2005, 02:08 PM
From the Minneapolis Star-Tribue today:

Twins righthander Carlos Silva will be put on a program to return to the Twins starting rotation by April 22 after a third doctor agreed that surgery on his right knee can be put off until the offseason.

Silva flew to Houston, where he was examined by Astros medical director Dr. David Lintner on Wednesday. Lintner agreed with Twins physician John Steubs and Wild physician Joel Boyd that the torn meniscus in his right knee will not hinder his pitching.

"We can allow him to pitch," Twins General Manager Terry Ryan said. "He will ... throw in the bullpen [today]. It was very good news. Dr. Lintner agreed that we can wait until after the season."

Silva, 1-0 with a 1.29 ERA, is due off the 15-day disabled list April 22. After throwing in the bullpen today, the Twins plan to send him to the minors for a start before activating him.

"We can work right off of that [return date], take some time to relax his knee a little more," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "The good news is that you are not going to lose him for very long, maybe a couple of starts."

Joe Mays has assumed Silva's place in the rotation while Dave Gassner, who will start on Saturday at Cleveland, has replaced him on the roster.

Morneau update

First baseman Justin Morneau, on the 15-day disabled list because of a concussion, shagged fly balls before Wednesday's game. The results?

"I could never be a pitcher," Morneau said. "You have to shag fly balls and never get to hit."

Morneau is slowly getting back into pregame workouts as he shakes off the effects of being hit in the head with a pitch on April 6. He will accompany the team on its road trip to Cleveland and Chicago. If all goes well, he will be sent to Fort Myers, Fla., to play in a couple of simulated games before being activated.

voodoochile
04-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Thank you and welcome aboard. Yes, I am sure there are those who will be interested.

In the future, please post a link and a synopsis, we don't allow the reposting of entire articles because it is a violation of copyright laws.

MRKARNO
04-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Well getting Silva back so soon is huge for the Twins and they probably go back to being division favorites for now, but based on what I've seen from the White Sox so far, it's a very tenuous hold on that position.

Foulke You
04-14-2005, 03:45 PM
I wonder if having pain in his knee will effect Silva's delivery and/or performance? One would think having a knee that requires surgery next offseason would be giving him pain during pitching. Maybe they are going to pump him full of pain killers on the day of his starts?

patbooyah
04-14-2005, 03:51 PM
yeah- it says that pitching won't affect his knee, but will his knee affect his pitching?

DumpJerry
04-14-2005, 03:52 PM
What's wrong with pitchers shagging fly balls?
:welcome:

ChiSox7
04-14-2005, 03:56 PM
It's not a big deal either way. That Glassner kid would have come up and put up just as good if not better numbers than Silva.

They always do.

OldTwinsFan
04-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Well, in regards to the pain. Apparently, he felt soreness in the back of his knee during Spring training and after his first start. But, according to articles, apparently the pain is really not all that bad. Sounds a little strange, huh?

The MRI showed a 70 per cent tear. The options are to have it stiched back together, or remove the ligament entirely. According to articles, repairing it would require a longer recovery time.

So, it sounds like it is more of an aggravation than anything else. I think I would be concerned with how it got torn in the first place. Is there something in his mechanics that made it tear? But, what the hell do I know?

I just hope he doesn't mess up his knee even worse and screw up whatever career he may have. Have to see what happens.

Nellie_Fox
04-14-2005, 04:04 PM
A meniscus is cartilage, not a ligament. A torn ligament in the knee is considerably more serious than a torn cartilage.

Tekijawa
04-14-2005, 04:24 PM
A meniscus is cartilage, not a ligament. A torn ligament in the knee is considerably more serious than a torn cartilage.

But Still painful especially if the tear is big enough to where the bone rubs on bone... If Surgery isn't necessary at this point I would imagine that it's not quite that bad yet.

Lip Man 1
04-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Amazing.....even when injured the Twins come out smelling like a rose. Meanwhile Frank Thomas continues to wait...and wait...and wait...for that scar tissue to break.

Lip

SoxxoS
04-14-2005, 07:33 PM
THis sounds like Roy Oswalt of 2003...a nagging injury that will affect performance.

Karl
04-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Here is the link. you have to register to see it though.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5347170.html