PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Power Rankings are out

munchman33
04-14-2005, 06:01 AM
Sox at four! (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2036676)

Flubs down to 19!

Fredsox
04-14-2005, 06:13 AM
Sports Illustrated has us at #2 and the Flubs at 26.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dan_george/04/13/power.rankings/index.html?cnn=yes

JRIG
04-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Wait a second. I thought we didn't pay attention to ESPN rankings beacause they were morons and thought we'd have a .500 season.

ma_deuce
04-14-2005, 07:01 AM
Wait a second. I thought we didn't pay attention to ESPN rankings beacause they were morons and thought we'd have a .500 season.

Actually, they thought we would have a sub .500 season... :angry:

Jurr
04-14-2005, 07:02 AM
We really don't pay attention to that stuff. It's just funny how EARLY they change their minds because we just took three straight series against the AL Central "contenders".

Jjav829
04-14-2005, 07:47 AM
We really don't pay attention to that stuff. It's just funny how EARLY they change their minds because we just took three straight series against the AL Central "contenders".

They're not changing their minds. Power Rankings are based on how the teams are playing so far in the season. That's why the Brewers are ranked 5th.

BigEdWalsh
04-14-2005, 07:53 AM
Yeah, but Rhyne Sandberg have to say. That's what I really care about.

DumpJerry
04-14-2005, 08:00 AM
Can someone forward the ESPN rankings to the editors at Sportscenter? Just spent an hour watching SC waiting for highlights from last night's game....alas.....we do not exist.......:angry:

ranger_bob
04-14-2005, 08:13 AM
They're not changing their minds. Power Rankings are based on how the teams are playing so far in the season. That's why the Brewers are ranked 5th.

Exactly. I don't see power rankings (except maybe the preseason one) to be predictive, they're just a representation of how someone sees the season go for certain teams. I personally think they should wait a month before doing one, but I guess they have to have something to print in that rag.

It is nice to be near the top of the rankings. Here's hoping we stay there. :cheers:

balke
04-14-2005, 08:32 AM
We were #1 for a while last season :(

MiamiSpartan
04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
How are the Marlins 13 when they just won two of three from Philadelphia, and made them look pretty sick in the process???

Max Power
04-14-2005, 09:09 AM
I hope these games against the Mariners don't hurt our strength of schedule.
Actually, I'm pretty surprised the Sox are so high since the power rating are usually based more on hype and perception rather than reality.
I expected to see: Cubs 4 "Encouraging outing from Wood (6 2/3, 6 K's) combined with Baker's expert managing abilities has Cubs ready to take NL Central by All-Star break."

Mickster
04-14-2005, 09:27 AM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/teamlogos/mlb/sml/trans/chc.gif 19. Chicago Cubs (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=chc): Aramis Ramirez and Jerry Hairston are already questioning Dusty Baker. Translation: Never doubt Steve Stone. (Last week's ranking: 8)

:roflmao:

Iwritecode
04-14-2005, 09:30 AM

Well, they're still morons...

Besides, the Sox should be #1 or #2! What do these guys know anyway?

mweflen
04-14-2005, 09:37 AM
ESPNY-BOS power rankings rarely have anything to do with hard stats like records. It's about what the East Coast thinks of a team in relation to the Yankees and the Red Sox. If they get close to as much press and have a good record, they rank highly. If they don't, but have a good record, they're middling.

This is an early abberation because the Yanks and BoSox haven't done anything of note just yet. Expect us to drop to 12 or 13 within a few weeks, even if our record keeps pace.

MeanFish
04-14-2005, 09:47 AM
It seems to me that power rankings are basically your last week or two's performance weighted against your overall record. So, if you're a third place team but you just won 13 out of 16 or something disgusting like that, you're going to be ranked higher than some stagnating second place teams and almost all third place teams.

See: Indians, offseason '04-'05. If we keep it up we'll stay ranked high. If we don't, we won't. Simple as that.

HebrewHammer
04-14-2005, 10:36 AM
It's nice to see us getting some credit at ESPN, but there's only one ranking I really care about and that's what place we're at in the division.

Foulke29
04-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Exactly. I don't see power rankings (except maybe the preseason one) to be predictive, they're just a representation of how someone sees the season go for certain teams. I personally think they should wait a month before doing one, but I guess they have to have something to print in that rag.

It is nice to be near the top of the rankings. Here's hoping we stay there. :cheers:

Actually power rankings illustrate how we've done so farwith heavy weighting on the previous week or two.

Uribe=MVP
04-14-2005, 10:56 AM
I have started to boycott ESPN this season for their blatant near-fellatial love of the Indians and Tigers. If the Twins are picked to win the division, that's fine as they are 3 time defending champs. But the no-pitching Indians and Tigers? For shame, ESPN, for shame.

Knockoutinthepar
04-16-2005, 07:19 PM
I have started to boycott ESPN this season for their blatant near-fellatial love of the Indians and Tigers. If the Twins are picked to win the division, that's fine as they are 3 time defending champs. But the no-pitching Indians and Tigers? For shame, ESPN, for shame.

That happens when you have Dimitri Young running around prognosticating about how the race for the AL Central Division title will be a fight between the Tigers and the Indians. He sure must have felt stupid getting swept by the Twins soon after.

And yet, as Sox fans, we grow up knowing that stalking behind any given media bias there sits the stench of conspiracy: http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050408&content_id=1008739&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2005, 09:30 PM
It is sweet to see the Yanks and BoSox in the back 15! But this is Week 2. These mean nothing