PDA

View Full Version : The Rock's Number?

jordan23ventura
04-14-2005, 04:18 AM
Just wondering....

Since the Expos are now the Nationals, and Rock Raines' number was retired in Montreal, does that carry over to Washington?

If not, I think a movement is needed to retire that number at New US Comisikular Field.

Parrothead
04-14-2005, 07:38 AM
Just wondering....

Since the Expos are now the Nationals, and Rock Raines' number was retired in Montreal, does that carry over to Washington?

If not, I think a movement is needed to retire that number at New US Comisikular Field.

I think you are wrong. He was not here long enough.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Just wondering....

Would that be nice? Yeah, sentimental - but it won't happen. Rock was good, and I am happy to see him, Joey, Ozzie, Harold and Greg wear their own numbers again, but it's not practical.

NOW, if we win the whole thing, ALA Lou Brown, retire the whole TEAM'S numbers....that's a discussion worth having.

ranger_bob
04-14-2005, 09:14 AM
So, who thinks the Rock belongs in the HOF?

I know he likely won't get the votes, but his numbers make him look very deserving.

wdelaney72
04-14-2005, 09:33 AM
NOW, if we win the whole thing, ALA Lou Brown

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/wdelaney72/LouBrown.bmp "I think it was Jake Taylor who said that, but thanks for the reference."

Fisk72
04-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Just wondering....

The Nationals are the old Expos, so the entire history and whatnot is carried over. This link should help you out...

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/was/history/retired_numbers.jsp

HITMEN OF 77
04-14-2005, 02:35 PM
The Nationals are the old Expos, so the entire history and whatnot is carried over. This link should help you out...

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/was/history/retired_numbers.jsp

Same thing with the old Nat's now Texas. I wonder if anyone who played for the Pilots had ther enumber rietired.

Nellie_Fox
04-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Same thing with the old Nat's now Texas. I wonder if anyone who played for the Pilots had ther enumber rietired.The old Nats (1901-1960) are now the Twins.

The second incarnation of the Senators didn't stay in Washington very long (61-71) at all before becoming the Rangers.

batmanZoSo
04-14-2005, 04:15 PM
I think you are wrong. He was not here long enough.

He is one of my top three favorite Sox of all time, but I agree. Just wasn't here long enough...his hall of fame years (yes, in my opinion) were in Montreal. He did play outstanding for us, but he was starting to get up there in age. In the 80s he was just sick.

I think the Rams have old St. Louis Cardinal numbers such as Dan Dierdorf hanging from the rafters. I don't think they make a player lose his honor just because his team relocated.

I want Mags back
04-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Just wondering....

Why is it IF NOT. you can be retired by 2 teams, like Fisk

TheBull19
04-14-2005, 10:35 PM
So, who thinks the Rock belongs in the HOF?

I know he likely won't get the votes, but his numbers make him look very deserving.
If it weren't for Rickey Henderson, I'd bet he'd be a shoo-in. As it is, it seems very unlikely, unfair as that may be.

Nellie_Fox
04-15-2005, 12:33 AM
Why is it IF NOT. you can be retired by 2 teams, like FiskFisk made significant contributions to both teams. Rock was well past his prime, and was only a pretty good player for the Sox. No way should his number be retired at Comiskey, even if he gets into the hall. He'd be getting in for what he did in Montreal.

TDog
04-15-2005, 01:36 AM
... I wonder if anyone who played for the Pilots had ther enumber rietired.

The Pilots had only one all-star in its history. Tommy Harper, I think, was thrown out trying to steal in a lopsided game in Washington, D.C. But that was a very long time ago. The Pilots had one pitcher who was killed in a knifefight the following offseason. They had a few guys who lived longer but never played again.

The Pilots evolved into the Milwaukee Brewers. When I was sitting in County Stadium a few years ago looking out at the retired Brewers numbers, I don't recall seeing anyone who started in Seattle.

But I do know that former Brooklyn Dodger Jackie Robinson has his number retired in LA.

Nellie_Fox
04-15-2005, 11:48 AM
But I do know that former Brooklyn Dodger Jackie Robinson has his number retired in LA.Actually, Jackie Robinson's number is retired on every team in MLB, but that's an unusual situation.