PDA

View Full Version : 4-0 in 1-run games: the stuff of Champions

MHOUSE
04-14-2005, 02:17 AM
The White Sox are 4-0 in one-run games to start the year. In recent years we've lacked the ability and the fire to win these close games and manufacture runs late. To be honest I haven't been too nervous going to the late innings tied or with a slim lead. This is the kind of stuff that teams need to do to take the next step and we're doing it.

Banix12
04-14-2005, 02:25 AM
It's been great to be winning the one run games and it's a great start to the season. The hitters have been doing enough to get the job done and are doing it in the late innings. The bullpen, with the exception of Takatsu's blowup that day, has been very good. The starters have looked good as well.

But as has been said many times on this board, it's still only been a little over a week to the season.

If they are still doing this in summer when the weather is nice and the ball starts jumping out of the park, then I'll start celebrating a little more. In the meantime I'll just enjoy the ride.

mjmcend
04-14-2005, 03:08 AM
The Sox also started off like 12-0 in one run games last year, and we all know how well that worked out for them.

jordan23ventura
04-14-2005, 03:20 AM
The Sox also started off like 12-0 in one run games last year, and we all know how well that worked out for them.

A few of those, IIRC, could be attributed to Billy Koch coming in with something like a three run lead and giving up two runs.

Bobbo35
04-14-2005, 06:23 AM
If we do not have 5-7 run 8th innings like we did last year this can mean a great team. Come on bullpen, hold it down.

JRIG
04-14-2005, 06:56 AM
The White Sox are 4-0 in one-run games to start the year. In recent years we've lacked the ability and the fire to win these close games and manufacture runs late. To be honest I haven't been too nervous going to the late innings tied or with a slim lead. This is the kind of stuff that teams need to do to take the next step and we're doing it.

The Sox were 28-18 in one-run games in 2004. How much better can you get than that?

Boston was 16-18 in one-run games last year. But they were 36-20 in games decided by 5 runs or more.

To a large extent, lucky teams win close games. The great teams beat the crap out of opponents.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-14-2005, 06:58 AM
If we do not have 5-7 run 8th innings like we did last year this can mean a great team. Come on bullpen, hold it down.

Remember people - it's April; swings are still rusty, our offensive output is down from its averages (Rowand, Konerko) and Frank is not back yet - if our bullpen continues to pitch solid, ALA Dustin, Louis V and Shingo(one out of 4 ain't bad), we gots us a fightin' chance...and I like it.

ma_deuce
04-14-2005, 06:58 AM
Cardiacball! I love it. Nothing like keeping your fans hyperventilating for nine innings straight. I expect that by the end of the season I will have bitten all my fingernails completely off and worn a hole in my carpet from pacing back and forth. But at least we are winning... :D:

Deuce

Jurr
04-14-2005, 07:04 AM
Well, it does make a difference having a bullpen of Vizcaino, Marte, Politte, Hermanson, and Takatsu instead of Jackson, Adkins, Cotts, Marte, Koch, and Politte.

DaveIsHere
04-14-2005, 08:05 AM
decided by 5 runs or more.

To a large extent, lucky teams win close games. The great teams beat the crap out of opponents.

:?:

Great teams pull out the close wins, yes some are lucky games but so are some of the teams that beat the crap ouot of you on a given night. I feel more comfortable winning close games then winning by a ton of runs. It shows that we can pick up the slack and lock down when we need to, now that is the makings of a great team.

jabrch
04-14-2005, 08:10 AM
I don't care about how we do in 1 run games. I'd like to know how we are doing in baseball games. Since right now we are 6-2 in games that the Sox play, I am happy - so far. It's a long season, but it is nice to see them go out there and win 6 of 8 games, so far, all within the division including 4 games on the road and all of them against the better two teams in the division.

It's early...I know...

But I like what I see.

elrod
04-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Visions of last year indeed. If I can recall, not ALL of the 1-run wins were games that Koch made closer than they should have. Fact is, the team showed a lot of heart early on last year, and played a complete game. Then the wheels started falling off after the Frank and Maggs injuries. Meanwhile, the team reverted to its home run or bust attitude. Remember all the talk about Ozzieball? Well, we did play Ozzieball - and successfully - until the early summer. Hopefully we won't give it up for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, slugger or corpse ball this year.

This team is deeper in many ways - the bulllpen and the starting rotation for starters. But the hitters need to keep picking each other up and putting pressure on opposing pitchers.

Dan H
04-14-2005, 09:32 AM
I'll take a 6-2 start anytime. And luck had nothing to do with winning one run games. It is the stuff that makes contenders no matter what Boston did last year.

But the jury is still out on 3/5 of the starting rotation. If they can provide any kind of consistency, the Sox can take this division. Meanwhile enjoy it while it lasts.

Frater Perdurabo
04-14-2005, 10:04 AM
It's a long season, but it is nice to see them go out there and win 6 of 8 games, so far, all within the division including 4 games on the road and all of them against the better two teams in the division.

I want to see them manhandle Kansas City and Detroit in addition to Cleveland and Minnesota. Detroit seemed to be an Achilles Heel for the Sox last year.

daveeym
04-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Visions of last year indeed. If I can recall, not ALL of the 1-run wins were games that Koch made closer than they should have. Fact is, the team showed a lot of heart early on last year, and played a complete game. Then the wheels started falling off after the Frank and Maggs injuries. Meanwhile, the team reverted to its home run or bust attitude. Remember all the talk about Ozzieball? Well, we did play Ozzieball - and successfully - until the early summer. Hopefully we won't give it up for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, slugger or corpse ball this year.

This team is deeper in many ways - the bulllpen and the starting rotation for starters. But the hitters need to keep picking each other up and putting pressure on opposing pitchers. Most accurate post of the day based in reality. :thumbsup:

Lip Man 1
04-14-2005, 11:10 AM
The Sox actually started out 11-1 in one run games last season.

Lip

MRKARNO
04-14-2005, 12:26 PM
The Sox were 28-18 in one-run games in 2004. How much better can you get than that?

Boston was 16-18 in one-run games last year. But they were 36-20 in games decided by 5 runs or more.

But teams that dont score a lot and dont give up a lot of runs are almost certainly going to be in more one-run games, so I would expect the White Sox to be in a lot. The Yanks won a ton of close games last year, IIRC and they were very very close to getting to and winning the world series.

JRIG
04-14-2005, 12:33 PM
But teams that dont score a lot and dont give up a lot of runs are almost certainly going to be in more one-run games, so I would expect the White Sox to be in a lot. The Yanks won a ton of close games last year, IIRC and they were very very close to getting to and winning the world series.

Yanks were 24-16 in one-run games last year, winning 60% of those games. They won 62% of their games on the season (101-61).

SOXSINCE'70
04-14-2005, 12:36 PM
I'll enjoy this while it lasts.:D: :D:

owensmouth
04-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Any win is a good win.