PDA

View Full Version : Just what are they teaching our children in school?

soxstarter
04-13-2005, 11:34 PM
In order to help prep my eight year old daughter for the annual achievement tests, her teacher sent home a test preparation book titled "TerraNova Test Preparation and Practice." This book was written by the Princeton Review and published by McGraw Hill.

In an area testing knowledge on capitalization and punctuation, the student is given three options from which to choose.

One of the options was.......

"The chicago cubs are a good baseball team"

My child is a well trained Sox fan and understands this to be a falsehood. How will she be able to trust anything else this book...or the teacher who reccomended it, have to say?

Well....at least they knew better than to capitalize cubs.

DumpJerry
04-14-2005, 12:11 AM
McGraw Hill, you say? Sounds like a job for::churrosarmy:

Banix12
04-14-2005, 12:19 AM
You should just have her write "False" in the blank and if the teacher complains have her say "I misunderstood the directions to the test"

Getting one wrong for the sake of comedy and sox fandom is always a good thing. And she's eight, it's not going to hurt her in the long run.

chisox56
04-14-2005, 01:29 AM
as will ferrell would say as George W. mcgraw-hill is now a part of the axis of evil.:D:

popilius
04-14-2005, 01:55 AM
This is an abomination. As a teacher, I would definitely write a letter to McGraw Hill. I'm not kidding. I've done things like that before. . .

:gulp:

soxstarter
04-14-2005, 07:50 AM
Thanks Pop...

My faith in teachers is restored. Should've known there were some good ones in the Sox Army.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-14-2005, 08:38 AM
i had to take those stupid terra novas a loong time ago. i faintly remember it, but i dont recall anything being mentioned about the scrubs in it.

ranger_bob
04-14-2005, 09:10 AM
I really think this is much ado about nothing.

soxstarter
04-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Well you could be right Ranger Bob, but they go on to compound their falsehoods by making a statement....

"The Arizona Diamondbacks have never been in the World Series"

Not as harsh as the mistatement regarding the cubs but they are developing a pattern here.....

ranger_bob
04-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Well you could be right Ranger Bob, but they go on to compound their falsehoods by making a statement....

"The Arizona Diamondbacks have never been in the World Series"

Not as harsh as the mistatement regarding the cubs but they are developing a pattern here.....

I teach school so I can understand your feelings. My point is that a lot of test prep books or text books that practice grammatical functions etc aren't meant to be factual. They're just creating sentences that they hope will illustrate the punctuation, grammatical, syntaxical or usage rule they are trying to illustrate.

I was just trying to say that, for the most part, I wouldn't care for the veracity of the statements. It's like when working the math problem where Steve leaves NYC on a train travelling 25 mph and Suzie leaves Philadelphia on a train travelling 36 mph, no one actually wonders if there are trains that leave each city at the same time travelling those exact mph. It's just a sample to test another skil. Ok, now I'm making too much out of this, but I had an extra cup of coffee this morning.

Stroker Ace
04-15-2005, 05:11 PM
You should just have her write "False" in the blank and if the teacher complains have her say "I misunderstood the directions to the test"

Getting one wrong for the sake of comedy and sox fandom is always a good thing. And she's eight, it's not going to hurt her in the long run.

HAHAHAHA