CubsfansareDRUNK
04-13-2005, 10:03 PM
6-2!

RKMeibalane
04-13-2005, 10:03 PM
Get the brooms out!

The Wimperoo
04-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Good to see AJ redeem himself after a brutal 1st 3 innings.

Oh yeah, Joe Crede sucks!!!

skobabe8
heartstopper!

owensmouth
Once we got Old Three Balls off the mound, we had a chance to win the game.

TaylorStSox
Marte looked the best that I've seen in about a year. His breaking ball finally had some life and he was spotting his fastball well. That's a very encouraging sign.

Good, fundamental win all the way around.

doublem23
6-2. Feels good.

:D:

soxwon
04-13-2005, 10:05 PM
We are the best people- get used to it.

A. Cavatica
And Crede didn't suck.

I like using Hermanson to close tonight, assuming it's just against the Injuns. Shingo doesn't deserve to lose his job, but letting other pitchers close every once in a while is the same principle as rotating your reserve position players. And the Indians are the obvious team to give Shingo a day off from, given their earlier success against him.

Fredsox

Hey, give the man his due. He laid down a nice bunt to move AJ to 3rd in the 10th, and he got a hit earlier.

munchman33
I love the fact that Contreras was struggling with control and was still able to gut it out and give us a chance.

depy48
04-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Get the brooms out!

we've said that twice already...
come on el duque... make it so

RKMeibalane
The Sox keep finding a way to get it done. This feels like 2000.

FightingBillini
:?:

munchman33
Hey, give the man his due. He laid down a nice bunt to move AJ to 3rd in the 10th, and he got a hit earlier.

The bunt wasn't good enough. If not for a nice A.J. slide, it would have been disasterous.

ChiWhiteSox1337
Best birthday present I received all day. It was great to see the Sox come back and win despite Jose's struggles early on. Our bullpen is soooo good...

faneidde
04-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Wow, the more I see Ozuna play, the more I like him. He hustles and he doesn't slide into first, he dives. He made a great throw that AJ dropped. I think he might be our best offseason move.

munchman33
04-13-2005, 10:07 PM

Umm, what? :?:

RKMeibalane
04-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Umm, what? :?:

Contreras, supposedly.

Norberto7
04-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Today, friends, is the kind of game that a good team finds a way to win. Cheers!

munchman33
04-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Contreras, supposedly.

I kinda get it. There are probably better nicknames.

Mohoney
04-13-2005, 10:10 PM

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If not for Grady Sizemore coming up big, the game doesn't even go extras.

God forbid we actually praise a guy that showed some real guts out there.

Uribe=MVP
04-13-2005, 10:11 PM
I really liked bringing in Hermanson for the save. He is officially the Only-Against-the-Indians closer.

JB98

Or the start of last season. We began 2004 with a record of 8-4. Let's hope this good start is indicator of big things to come, unlike a year ago.

itsnotrequired
Can't wait to see the Sox extra-innings road win against a division opponent coverage dominate Cubs coverage in tomorrow's papers.

JB98
04-13-2005, 10:12 PM
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If not for Grady Sizemore coming up big, the game doesn't even go extras.

God forbid we actually praise a guy that showed some real guts out there.

I agree. It was a good job by Contreras. He started poorly, but righted the ship. In the past, we've seen him collapse after a bad first couple of innings. Not so tonight.

RKMeibalane
04-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Or the start of last season. We began 2004 with a record of 8-4. Let's hope this good start is indicator of big things to come, unlike a year ago.

The nice thing about this season is that we are counting on adding a player instead of losing two.

Mohoney
04-13-2005, 10:13 PM
We haven't had a starter go less than 6 innings.

We haven't had a starter give up more than 4 runs.

Anybody that voted to give this team a "D" or an "F" is sadly misinformed.

FightingBillini
04-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Great game. Jose was off early. Way too many walks, but he settled down after that. That is good to see.

AJ redeemed himself with the double after the two drops at the plate - the throw from Dye probably would have been an out if he made the grab, and the trow from Pablo was a sure out if he held on.

Crede came through in the 7th. Great job. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come.

Three series wins for far - lets finally sweep tomorrow.

Fredsox
04-13-2005, 10:15 PM
The bunt wasn't good enough. If not for a nice A.J. slide, it would have been disasterous.

Ho! We must differ! I thought that was an awful slide as a matter of fact. It looked like he stopped short of the bag, thank goodness the throw was off line. I thought the bunt was nice and soft and we forced them to make a play, which they didn't. You know, I remember a few games last year when Ozzie would put the bunt on and we couldn't get it down. I was really glad to see that play work with a big third baseman. Take THAT Twinkies! We're coming to get ya!

voodoochile
04-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Man, a broom would be so cool. I will have to clean something tomorrow, just to use one for luck. If you havne't swept something that needs sweeping, do it tomorrow before the game.

GO SOX! 6-2 and it feels even better...:supernana:

voodoochile
04-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Ho! We must differ! I thought that was an awful slide as a matter of fact. It looked like he stopped short of the bag, thank goodness the throw was off line. I thought the bunt was nice and soft and we forced them to make a play, which they didn't. You know, I remember a few games last year when Ozzie would put the bunt on and we couldn't get it down. I was really glad to see that play work with a big third baseman. Take THAT Twinkies! We're coming to get ya!

Yep and if it is Harris at 2B, he is in so safely it's not even funny. Should have PR for AJ anyway in that situation.

RKMeibalane
04-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Man, a broom would be so cool. I will have to clean something tomorrow, just to use one for luck. If you havne't swept something that needs sweeping, do it tomorrow before the game.

GO SOX! 6-2 and it feels even better...:supernana:

I don't have a broom. Would a mop work?

FightingBillini
04-13-2005, 10:18 PM
We haven't had a starter go less than 6 innings.

We haven't had a starter give up more than 4 runs.

Anybody that voted to give this team a "D" or an "F" is sadly misinformed.
Anybody who voted to give this team a "D" or "F" is a :dtroll:

voodoochile
04-13-2005, 10:19 PM

Use it dry...

RKMeibalane
04-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Use it dry...

Okay.

Kogs35
04-13-2005, 10:22 PM
great win tonight very happy. bring out the brooms:bandance: :gulp:

santo=dorf
04-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Anybody who voted to give this team a "D" or "F" is a :dtroll:
What about our run differentials?
Realistically this team should be .500, just ask Bill James.

Jjav829
04-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Wow, the more I see Ozuna play, the more I like him. He hustles and he doesn't slide into first, he dives. He made a great throw that AJ dropped. I think he might be our best offseason move.

:?: :o:

You're joking, right?

Out of all the additions we've had, you're most impressed by Pablo Ozuna??

cburns
04-13-2005, 10:25 PM
It is a very good feeling to get late into ballgames and have so many options in the bullpen. Last year at this time we had Billy Koch and Mike Jackson. This could be a fun summer.

RKMeibalane
04-13-2005, 10:25 PM

You're joking, right?

I'm most impressed by the new soda guy who works at the 'Cell.

MRKARNO
04-13-2005, 10:26 PM

Or like the beginning of last year. April starts are good, but let's see this team keep it up before we compare them to that 95 win ballclub in any way. The 83 win team of last year performed excellent last April as well.

Mickster
04-13-2005, 10:26 PM

Sure, if you want to bring Cotts in the game in the 5th inning..... :smile:

FightingBillini
04-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Or like the beginning of last year. April starts are good, but let's see this team keep it up before we compare them to that 95 win ballclub in any way. The 83 win team of last year performed excellent last April as well.

I agree 100%. But you know what? It feels pretty damn good right now. 154 more games until the playoffs. :bandance::bandance:

CleeFan101
04-13-2005, 10:30 PM

yeah but that April team also had a healthy Frank Thomas and Magglio in the lineup......

anyways great game today, Contreras pitched well after a shaky start all the way till he gave up that solo HR... and Crede had a great game today too, that bunt was great.

shoota
04-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Crede looked good today. Nice double and a decent bunt.
Ozuna looked good to. Should have had an assist on his throw home that Pierzynski dropped, which would have ended the inning and taken away one of Cleveland's runs. Ozuna is fast.

SouthSideSid
04-13-2005, 10:33 PM
So nice to see a Sox team with this kind of "never say die" attitude. They could have folded up and waited for tomorrow after Contreras started wild or after Sizemore caught the Tribe up, but they kept battling. I love it.

Of course, maybe the Tribe just really sucks and we are lucky we get to play them as often.

SoxWillWin
04-13-2005, 10:34 PM
The 83 win team of last year performed excellent last April as well.

Yes, but we lost 2 guys later. We may be getting one back in June. That might make a little bit of a difference.

D. TODD
04-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Contreras pitched solid when he didn't have good command. The bullpen was perfect. We advanced runners by sacrifice bunt, (quasi) hit & run, and clutch sac fly. Seems like one of those games KW & Ozzie we're talking about being able to win with this roster opposed to the all or nothing squad from last year.

Wsoxmike59
04-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Ho! We must differ! I thought that was an awful slide as a matter of fact. It looked like he stopped short of the bag, thank goodness the throw was off line.

FredSox take a look at the replay tonite on the news if they show it. It was an excellent "deke" slide by A.J. He showed his foot to Aaron Boone, then took it away to make him miss the tag. That was a slide by design....it was no accident that A.J. was safe.....it was a good slide on his part.

Rocklive99
04-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Couldn't see the game because of school (heard the end on the radio), but after looking at the box score, nice to see us score 5 without a HR (ST style). This is really what was expected from Contreras, which isn't even that bad, considering the Indians are a good offensive team (which hasn't shown it because our SP has blanked em). Nice to see us win the games we should be winning, especially within the division, it's still early, but so far this looks like a different team, let's hope they can turn things around on our West Coast history when the trip there happens.

D. TODD
04-13-2005, 10:45 PM
FredSox take a look at the replay tonite on the news if they show it. It was an excellent "deke" slide by A.J. He showed his foot to Aaron Boone, then took it away to make him miss the tag. That was a slide by design....it was no accident that A.J. was safe.....it was a good slide on his part. I don't know. It seemed to me like the throw was low and to the home plate side of third and a straight slide leaves no play. He came up short on the slide and Boone, who casually went to place the tag, since he knew it was late had an opportunity to get A.J. due to his poor slide. I'm just glad he was safe in any account.

Brian26
04-13-2005, 10:46 PM

And I must differ with you. Crede's bunt was RIGHT to the firstbaseman, who had the play at third right in front of him. In that situation, Crede wants to bunt it to third base so the charging thirdbaseman has to completely wheel around and try to make the throw to third. It was an awful bunt. Crede's lucky he didn't get his head taken off on the first botched bunt attempt that he fouled off for strike one.

Stroker Ace
04-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Just read my sig. :D: :D: :D:

MRKARNO
04-13-2005, 10:53 PM
Yes, but we lost 2 guys later. We may be getting one back in June. That might make a little bit of a difference.
This is a good point. The loss of Magglio and Frank probably contributed to 5-7 more losses than we would have had otherwise. But still, we may lose other players to injury in the course of the season. In fact we probably will. But still, this team will probably be in decent shape, even considering a few injuries.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Hey, nobody said we would have lost this game last year yet....

DaleJRFan
04-13-2005, 11:06 PM

:?: That was a nice slide? He stuck his heel cleat in the dirt and stopped a foot in front of the bag!

DaleJRFan
04-13-2005, 11:08 PM
This is a good point. The loss of Magglio and Frank probably contributed to 5-7 more losses than we would have had otherwise. But still, we may lose other players to injury in the course of the season. In fact we probably will. But still, this team will probably be in decent shape, even considering a few injuries.

When Hawk and DJ did the obligitory "Hello to Big Frank", it dawned on me... If the Sox can hold first place until late-May, Frank coming back will be like a big time trade deadline pickup...

Shoeless Joe
04-13-2005, 11:23 PM
When Hawk and DJ did the obligitory "Hello to Big Frank", it dawned on me... If the Sox can hold first place until late-May, Frank coming back will be like a big time trade deadline pickup...

I wonder how long Hawk and DJ are going to keep that up. Did Frank have an obligatory daily greeting in his contract? Still I can't wait until he comes back...

batmanZoSo
04-13-2005, 11:38 PM
We would have lost this game last year. :wink:

This team is always good in April. We're raving about the pitching right now, but one sobering thought is how well Scott Schoeneweis and company pitched last April. I remember counting quality starts then, too. :o:

But then again this is a different team that needless to say goes about winning games a lot differently than last year. There's no reason to expect some kind of drop off like we've had the last few years after a solid start to the season. This is the first time we've had 5 major league caliber pitchers, let alone 5 decent ones and of course the speed. This is a team that's built better to win consistently, so we'll see what happens. It's scary to think what'll happen when we start hitting. Hopefully the pitching will still be going well at that time, so it doesn't just balance out...maybe we can have an 8 game winning streak. I can't remember the last time we did.

Rowand got 2 hits today, tripling his season total it seems. Maybe this will be his break out game. Konerko's lost, but that's Konerko. Tomorrow he might hit 2 homers. If those two plus Dye are hitting, we're in business. They don't have to all be on fire, just not auto-outs like they've been lately.

SoxxoS
04-13-2005, 11:43 PM
The 83 win team of last year performed excellent last April as well.

And that team had Danny Wright as its fifth starter at this time...

Baby Fisk
04-13-2005, 11:43 PM
I really like the fact that the bullpen is not causing nearly as much intestinal trauma as it was last year. All of a sudden, Ozzie has a selection of closers at his disposal.

Now if he could only figure out how to use them all properly... :cool:

MRKARNO
04-13-2005, 11:47 PM
And that team had Danny Wright as its fifth starter at this time...

Another good point. There are definitely reasons to be more excited about this team's prospects than last year's at the same point quite possibly, but the real question is whether or not the pitching can hold up. With less talent last year, it did not. With superior talent this year, it just might, but probably not very well if we're only scoring 4 runs a game. It's about time for many figures on the offense to come out of their slump....

The glass half full side of the arguement is that we're winning in spite of their poor hitting and that once the hitting gets going, we'll be in great shape. But will that occur simultaneously with a step back in the pitching department like it did last year? That's the $64,000 question.

batmanZoSo
04-13-2005, 11:50 PM
The glass half full side of the arguement is that we're winning in spite of their poor hitting and that once the hitting gets going, we'll be in great shape. But will that occur simultaneously with a step back in the pitching department like it did last year? That's the $64,000 question.

That's what I addressed abopve. In theory, it shouldn't to the same extreme because we have 5 starters to give us a chance to win.

FightingBillini
04-13-2005, 11:53 PM

This team is always good in April. We're raving about the pitching right now, but one sobering thought is how well Scott Schoeneweis and company pitched last April. I remember counting quality starts then, too. :o:

But then again this is a different team that needless to say goes about winning games a lot differently than last year. There's no reason to expect some kind of drop off like we've had the last few years after a solid start to the season. This is the first time we've had 5 major league caliber pitchers, let alone 5 decent ones and of course the speed. This is a team that's built better to win consistently, so we'll see what happens. It's scary to think what'll happen when we start hitting. Hopefully the pitching will still be going well at that time, so it doesn't just balance out...maybe we can have an 8 game winning streak. I can't remember the last time we did.

Rowand got 2 hits today, tripling his season total it seems. Maybe this will be his break out game. Konerko's lost, but that's Konerko. Tomorrow he might hit 2 homers. If those two plus Dye are hitting, we're in business. They don't have to all be on fire, just not auto-outs like they've been lately.
I agree with you. I am cautiously optomistic. Past teams were on fire in April, also. 2002 comes to mind.

The big difference is, whenever we would be on fire and win lots of games in a row the past few years, it was because the offense was killing the ball. We only got hot when our all or nothing power hitters were all on at the same time. The offense hasnt even done much this year, and the team has won. That is a huge difference. Our pitching is great this year. Obviously, the pitching staff wont be THIS good the whole year (not every start will be quality), but it will still be great. When our offense picks up, this team will be hard to stop.

batmanZoSo
04-14-2005, 12:00 AM
I agree with you. I am cautiously optomistic. Past teams were on fire in April, also. 2002 comes to mind.

The big difference is, whenever we would be on fire and win lots of games in a row the past few years, it was because the offense was killing the ball. We only got hot when our all or nothing power hitters were all on at the same time. The offense hasnt even done much this year, and the team has won. That is a huge difference. Our pitching is great this year. Obviously, the pitching staff wont be THIS good the whole year (not every start will be quality), but it will still be great. When our offense picks up, this team will be hard to stop.

This offense is really underachieving right now, that's for sure. People shouldn't take this to be the norm, I mean god our lineup after tonight features four players batting under .200. And another at a mere .222, in Crede...which is actually amazing, I don't know he's that high. Great I guess.

FightingBillini
04-14-2005, 12:09 AM
This offense is really underachieving right now, that's for sure. People shouldn't take this to be the norm, I mean god our lineup after tonight features four players batting under .200. And another at a mere .222, in Crede...which is actually amazing, I don't know he's that high. Great I guess.
Exactly. Our pitching staff is great. However, not every start will be a quality one. There will be blown saves. That is to be expected.

On the other hand, our offense isn't going to get any worse than this. Anyone who thinks Rowand is going to hit under .200 is crazy. Our offense will pick up big time. And there is no reason to think that the pitching will give up that much, even when it does fall back to earth.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Exactly. Our pitching staff is great. However, not every start will be a quality one. There will be blown saves. That is to be expected.

On the other hand, our offense isn't going to get any worse than this. Anyone who thinks Rowand is going to hit under .200 is crazy. Our offense will pick up big time. And there is no reason to think that the pitching will give up that much, even when it does fall back to earth.
Didn't a team with the nickname "The Hitless Wonders" beat the Cubs in the World Series 99 years ago? :smile:

Rudy Law
04-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Hey, nobody said we would have lost this game last year yet....

I won't say that...But I will say we don't score 5 runs in this game last year...Thats for sure..

:ass I'm an ignorant Blabber Mouth!! BLA BLA

Cowch44
04-14-2005, 12:24 AM
This White Sox team is fun to watch.:D:

I just saw on ESPN News that the Blue Jays are "The hottest team in baseball."
No respect.:angry:

Also, Ever notice how ESPN likes to show homers and last outs/GW hits? Unless of course it's one of "their teams" which they'll break down and show interviews for.

nordhagen
04-14-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm glad to see Ozzie not locked into the "I'm going to run Billy Koch out there until he puts us 10 games out mentality" with his bullpen. We don't have a lights out closer like Gagne so I don't think it has to be Shingo all the time. Marte yesterday was perfect for the start of the ninth with the big lefty boppers coming up - you'd rather have Victor Martinez hit righty against Marte than lefty against Shingo - and Hermanson got it done tonight.

Hopefully Marte can get back to where he was his first year here, which I thought was his best one. If that happens we could have a heck of a pen.

batmanZoSo
04-14-2005, 12:31 AM

And on the other hand, our pitching hasn't been lights out overachieving either. Contreras was awful the first few innings today, but managed to leave in no-decision territory and we were able to pull it out. Buehrle had a great start, and then a crappy start for his standards. Garcia's been the true warrior thus far, only giving up three actual runs, not counting that stupid balk. Hopefully he gets juiced up for Sunday against his old team because I'll be there....

Flight #24
04-14-2005, 12:58 AM

IMO this team is built a lot more like the Twins - to win close games by not making mistakes on D or on the mound, and to push the opponent to make mistakes via smart, aggressive play. That's why the Twins have generally outperformed their "pythagorean" win total - because they keep a game close, and in close games it's luck and/or the tema that doesn't make the mistakes.

That bodes very well for this season.

Huisj
04-14-2005, 01:04 AM
I'm most impressed by the new soda guy who works at the 'Cell.

Yeah, and don't underestimate his importance to the win-on-the-road mentality that this team has so far.

faneidde
04-14-2005, 01:38 AM

You're joking, right?

You said it better than I did. I am most impressed by Ozuna. I don't think he'll be as valuable as El Duque or Dye or Contreras (so far, fingers crossed), but I LOVE the way he plays the game. He makes contact at the plate, sees a lot of pitches, and hustles his ass off. I absolutley love the way he plays the game. He is quickly becoming my favorite Sox player.

peeonwrigley
04-14-2005, 02:02 AM
Just saw that Comcast Sports is replaying the game at 1... I missed it b/c I was at work and now I can fall asleep with it on TV. Good stuff

:hawk

"I love Comcast"

Sox&Springsteen
04-14-2005, 02:37 AM
We're Number One!! We're Number One!!

Greetings brothers and sisters.

Game was tied in extra innings when I went to sleep last night. What a good way to start the morning.:smile:

Erik The Red
04-14-2005, 03:33 AM
We're Number One!! We're Number One!!

Greetings brothers and sisters.

Game was tied in extra innings when I went to sleep last night. What a good way to start the morning.:smile:
Welcome to WSI! :gulp:

Sox&Springsteen
04-14-2005, 05:46 AM
Welcome to WSI! :gulp:

Cheers, mate. :gulp:

This has got to be the best website EVER!!!! :redneck

SSN721
04-14-2005, 06:55 AM
What a great game, wonderful to see JC battle back from a horrendous start of the game. Which is amazing he only gave up three runs int he first 2 innings as bad as he was pitching. And fortunately Cliff Lee became Cliff Lee. Timely hitting and great bullpen pitching, hot damn, I love to watch this team. Time to get out the brooms, be nice to close out this series with a sweep tonight. :bandance:

SSN721
04-14-2005, 07:23 AM
Oh, and did anyone notice how DJ just had to bring up ALex Cora and whether or not he could match his brothers home run total by All Star Break, WHILE HE WAS AT BAT IN A CLOSE GAME IN LATE INNINGS??!!!! I swear, I dont know why Hawk doesnt punch him in the face. I know it is superstitious but still, DJ would start talking perfect game history if a Sox pitcher was throwing one 3 innings into a game. Just drives me crazy.

Bobbo35
04-14-2005, 07:26 AM
Marte had that zip in his arm like he had in the 2003 season. He really snaps those pitches off well. His arm rotation if he stays that way will obliverate hitters.

GO SOX!!!!

Hangar18
04-14-2005, 09:30 AM

You're joking, right?

Pablo Ozuna has Quietly been a spark plug for this team, every game
hes been in, hes done something impressive. He beat out a hit
at the Baggydome to get a winning rally started. I really like the guy,
esp knowing we have him and Southside Willie are on the bench for us ....
I like the fact that were doing the little things to win games,
thats the difference with winning teams. Remember, its always a 10
game swing ............

Hangar18
04-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Cheers, mate. :gulp:

This has got to be the best website EVER!!!! :redneck

West Dublin Ireland! Cheers to you

ma_deuce
04-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Pablo Ozuna has Quietly been a spark plug for this team, every game
hes been in, hes done something impressive. He beat out a hit
at the Baggydome to get a winning rally started. I really like the guy,
esp knowing we have him and Southside Willie are on the bench for us ....
I like the fact that were doing the little things to win games,
thats the difference with winning teams. Remember, its always a 10
game swing ............

Optimism? Positive, constructive viewpoints?

...ok, who are you and what have you done with the real Hangar?!? :wink:

converted
04-14-2005, 09:42 AM

I'm just glad they all pulled their heads out of their butts and played ball.
Oh yeah, and Crede DOES NOT suck! :smile:

ma_deuce
04-14-2005, 09:44 AM

:welcome: to WSI!!!

nasox
04-14-2005, 10:35 AM

Does your handle coverted mean that you were a cubs fan once?

downstairs
04-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Can't wait to see the Sox extra-innings road win against a division opponent coverage dominate Cubs coverage in tomorrow's papers.

From the front of SunTimes.com:

Sports (http://www.suntimes.com/index/sports.html)
Prior wins and saves the day (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-cub14.html)
Bulls push eject button (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-bull14.html)
Bears quick to envision a fast start (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-bear14.html)

Hmmmmmm.... Cubs, Bulls, Bears (?!?!), and... where's the Sox?

Ol' No. 2
04-14-2005, 11:02 AM
From the front of SunTimes.com:

Sports (http://www.suntimes.com/index/sports.html)
Prior wins and saves the day (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-cub14.html)
Bulls push eject button (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-bull14.html)
Bears quick to envision a fast start (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-bear14.html)

Hmmmmmm.... Cubs, Bulls, Bears (?!?!), and... where's the Sox?It did make the front page of the Trib sports section...barely...tucked away down at the bottom. But a Cubs split...WOO WOO...big news...took almost the entire front page of the sports section.

SSDD

Iwritecode
04-14-2005, 11:22 AM
It did make the front page of the Trib sports section...barely...tucked away down at the bottom. But a Cubs split...WOO WOO...big news...took almost the entire front page of the sports section.

SSDD

Just so you all know (cause I know you are all sooo interested) the Rockford newspaper is following suit. Last Friday when the Sox beat their division rival and the Cubs lost in craptacular fashion by blowing a 1-run lead in the 9th, guess what was on the front page? I found the Sox recap buried on page 3. :angry:

What made it even worse was that there was a little blurb talking about how the Sox could be a good team as long as Shingo can get his act together. Then on the very next page there was a huge article say that Cubs fans shouldn't worry about Hawkins blowing a save because it's early and relievers had been having rough outings all over the league.

I swear I always feel like I'm reading the "lite" version of the Cubune... :(:

jabrch
04-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Hmmmmmm.... Cubs, Bulls, Bears (?!?!), and... where's the Sox?

First Place...and that's all that really matters.

LVSoxFan
04-14-2005, 01:29 PM
For everybody bemoaning Cubs coverage trumping that of the Sox, what else is new? It's ALWAYS going to be that way--better get used to it.

There's only one thing that will ever reverse that--and guess what that is?

Anyway, I am sold on the new team after last night. We're winning games with bunts, stolen bases and sacrifice flys, people! This is not 2004 for damn sure.

And I'll take it! I'll take the one-run win over the feast-or-famine '04 Sox any day. And it sure is a lot more exciting than I thought it would be!

Kenny and Ozzie weren't kidding.

Iwritecode
04-14-2005, 01:43 PM

The Cubs moving out of town?

Wrigley getting torn down?

converted
04-14-2005, 03:21 PM
:welcome: to WSI!!!

Thanks for the great welcome! I appreciate it! Perhaps I will post some more!!!:wink:

LVSoxFan
04-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Sox in World Series.

Nothing short of that will ever reverse the tide. Although, even if they did that, you'd get a lot of new fans but I doubt a lot of Cub fans would switch over.

However, if they have a crappy season like I think the Cubs are going to, and another loser year next year... I think you might see some people start giving up on them. Two years ago they were this/close and blew it; last year they choked in spectaclar fashion, but it will still never top the Bartman inning.

Winning = coverage, plain and simple. Although I remember last year when the Sox were white hot (at the beginning) and the Cubs were stumbling, the Sox did get a lot of coverage.

converted
04-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Does your handle coverted mean that you were a cubs fan once?

To answer your question, PERHAPS . . . .
But, you should refer back to one of my previous posts where I responded to BRDSR regarding a similar question. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! I love my Guys in Black!!!!!! That's all that matters, right?
:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

ma_deuce
04-14-2005, 03:34 PM
For everybody bemoaning Cubs coverage trumping that of the Sox, what else is new? It's ALWAYS going to be that way--better get used to it.

Sox in the World Series.

Doubtful... I'm sure the Cubune will find a high school football story or a picture of snails to hide any mention of it:

Headline Tribune:

Kerry Wood Attends Local High School Football Game; Mark Prior Cleared by Dentist of Possible Cavity

Other Chicago baseball team fails to lose Series; Tempo, page 327.

Iwritecode
04-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Doubtful... I'm sure the Cubune will find a high school football story or a picture of snails to hide any mention of it:

Headline Tribune:

Kerry Wood Attends Local High School Football Game; Mark Prior Cleared by Dentist of Possible Cavity

Other Chicago baseball team fails to lose Series; Tempo, page 327.

That's pretty much what I expect when/if it happens. I guess I'll have to see it to believe it.

BTW...

:tomatoaward

It's amazing how much longer it takes the post-game thread to get one of these when they win... :?: