PDA

View Full Version : Thomas gets Cortisone injection

munchman33
04-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Thomas gets Cortisone injection (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050413&content_id=1014613&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

SoxyStu
04-13-2005, 07:01 PM
I understand the risk of this shot, but is there a limited number of cortisone shots one could receive in their lifetime?

Brian26
04-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Doesn't seem like good news to me. Cortisone shots have always been bad in my mind...just thinking back to our pitching staff in the 2nd half of 2000.

Daver
04-13-2005, 08:26 PM
I used to get cortisone treatments literally pumped through my knees, they would inject a needle on either side and hook them up to a pump. I can now walk without a limp because of it.

RKMeibalane
04-13-2005, 08:32 PM
They may be doing this to allow Frank to break through the scarred tissue faster. He mentioned that he was having problems doing so because it was too painful. Maybe this will speed up the process.

RKMeibalane
04-13-2005, 08:34 PM
I don't know what to make of article now that I've read it. We'll just to have to wait and see what happens.

munchman33
04-13-2005, 08:36 PM
I don't know what to make of article now that I've read it. We'll just to have to wait and see what happens.

Agreed. I'm definately a lot more worried now. Before, I just thought it was a matter of working out for Frank. Now there's a chance he could be done more damage.

RKMeibalane
04-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Agreed. I'm definately a lot more worried now. Before, I just thought it was a matter of working out for Frank. Now there's a chance he could be done more damage.

The problem with tendenitis is that it could take forever to go away. Frank won't be able to work out for a few days because of the injection, as there is a risk he could rupture the tendon. He's still faced with the same problem, though- breaking through the scarred tissue. Until he finishes that process, he won't be able to do his rehab assignment.

munchman33
04-13-2005, 08:41 PM
The problem with tendenitis is that it could take forever to go away. Frank won't be able to work out for a few days because of the injection, as there is a risk he could rupture the tendon. He's still faced with the same problem, though- breaking through the scarred tissue. Until he finishes that process, he won't be able to do his rehab assignment.

I'm more worried about the fact that they're punching a whole in his ligament and need to both freeze it and keep him off it entirely to avoid a rupture. Not good news.

peeonwrigley
04-13-2005, 08:43 PM
I don't expect Frank back for quite a while. The fact that they took a gamble (in that they don't know how this treatment will effect the rehab) seems to make me think that there is little to no progress.

RKMeibalane
04-13-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm more worried about the fact that they're punching a whole in his ligament and need to both freeze it and keep him off it entirely to avoid a rupture. Not good news.

What irritates me about this entire situation is that the article mentions that Frank wasn't fitted with the special shoe soon enough, or at least that's what Schneider thinks. If they knew he needed the shoe, why did they put off fitting him for it?

samram
04-13-2005, 08:44 PM
I understand the risk of this shot, but is there a limited number of cortisone shots one could receive in their lifetime?

I think it's around five, but there is definitely a limit.

RKMeibalane
04-13-2005, 08:45 PM
I think it's around five, but there is definitely a limit.

That's correct. The Yankees faced a similar situation in 2004 with Gary Sheffield's shoulder.

munchman33
04-13-2005, 08:48 PM
What irritates me about this entire situation is that the article mentions that Frank wasn't fitted with the special shoe soon enough, or at least that's what Schneider thinks. If they knew he needed the shoe, why did they put off fitting him for it?

Maybe Frank wanted to get a second opinion first. Perhaps from a certain Austrian doctor?

RKMeibalane
04-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Maybe Frank wanted to get a second opinion first. Perhaps from a certain Austrian doctor?

:KW

"Who cares about that? I want to know why Frank wasn't in the dugout for Monday's game."

zach074
04-13-2005, 09:19 PM
I don't like this thread, I'm scared of needles.:redface:

Mickster
04-13-2005, 09:22 PM
My mother just had rotator cuff surgery about 2.5 to 3 months ago and they just gave her a cortizone shot this week to help her rehab and help her break through the scar tissue. I wouldn't make anything of it at this point.

ChiSox7
04-13-2005, 09:23 PM
It sounds like it will allow Frank to start running harder on it without pain so he can break away that scar tissue and take away some of the pain. Thats great news.

RKMeibalane
04-13-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. Let's just wait and see what happens. I would love to see Frank back in the lineup as soon as possible, but I also want him to be completely healthy when he comes back. The Sox need their best hitter firing on all cylinders.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-13-2005, 10:50 PM
I wonder if Frank would be more inclined to push things if he was guaranteed to return next year? After seeing how the Magg's situation played out, he probably figures he can't risk doing anything that would screw his negotiating power for NEXT season. He may be too cautious. Not because he is a bad guy, because he isn't. It's just smart.

Irishsox1
04-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Once Frank starts walking around in orthotics that should fix the problem, but it could take along time. 6 years ago I injured both feet and ankles playing softball and I walked with a limp until I went to the doctor. The doctor said I had a broken bone in one foot and torn ligaments in the other. I got a soft cast for the broken foot and the went through physical therapy, but it didn't get better. Then out of nowhere, both arches fell. Once the arches fell, I had to get orthotics for both feet. Once the arches started to get back to normal, both feet felt better, but I couldn't run for at least 3 months. Hopefully, with constent attention Frank will be back sooner, but I wouldn't be surprised if Frank doesn't comback till mid-July.

samram
04-13-2005, 10:55 PM
I wonder if Frank would be more inclined to push things if he was guaranteed to return next year? After seeing how the Magg's situation played out, he probably figures he can't risk doing anything that would screw his negotiating power for NEXT season. He may be too cautious. Not because he is a bad guy, because he isn't. It's just smart.

That could be. I also think the Everett's play to this point has probably allowed the team to think a little more long term (in the context of this season) and act more cautiously.

beckett21
04-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Just got to read the article myself.

I wouldn't worry too much about this right now. Rest, therapy and orthotics are all common treatments for tendonitis. I rarely inject tendons myself, but in this case I think it is warranted to help break the pain cycle. Postoperatively they can be very effective in reducing pain and helping to mobilize scar tissue.

Along with breaking down inflammation and scar tissue, cortisone shots do break down collagen in tendons and lead to a higher risk for rupture. It's never good to inject directly into a tendon for this reason. This is something that is probably a one-time deal in this particular area. There is no *magic number* as to a limit of cortisone shots; it varies by location. Rule of thumb is typically three injections to the same area in one year, but this is more used for conditions such as plantar fasciitis. Personally, I wouldn't inject a tendon more than once. JMO.

The type of cortisone used also makes a difference. There are long, short and intermediate acting preparations available. The longer acting the steroid, the greater potential for damage to a tendon.

Give the man some time. This is not unusual. I wouldn't read too much into this one way or another at this point. Still too early to know for sure how this will play out.