PDA

View Full Version : Florida Marlins pitching

Jjav829
04-13-2005, 04:28 PM
What a start they've had. Dontrelle Willis threw a complete game shutout today. It's his 2nd of the year already! Its the Marlins 3rd complete game shutout of the season....and they've only played nine games! Their team ERA after today is 1.36. Coming into today, the team with the 2nd best ERA was the Brewers at 3.07 - double the Marlins ERA.

The talent was obviously there, but this is a pretty amazing start. If they stay healthy, it will be interesting to see the numbers their starters put up.

elrod
04-13-2005, 04:39 PM
I was at the game against the Nats on Sunday. Beckett was on fire. He didn't dominate early on - several National players got on and they tried to manufacture a run. But after the third Beckett was on cruise control. 10 strikeouts, I think.

MRKARNO
04-13-2005, 04:58 PM
It's amazing, but it cant stay this good. Too many young pitchers who also happen to be human. But if they can stay healthy, they just must run away with that division.

thepaulbowski
04-13-2005, 05:00 PM
I was at the game on Sunday when Beckett threw the four hit shutout. He looked great, he just commands respect while on the mound.

Jjav829
04-13-2005, 07:22 PM
It's amazing, but it cant stay this good. Too many young pitchers who also happen to be human. But if they can stay healthy, they just must run away with that division.

Well they're obviously not going to do this all year long, but it shows what they have the potential to do. I don't think any team will be running away with that division. The Braves still might be the better team. The Mets, despite their early struggles, still figure to put up a fight. The Phillies will make a run at some point. Even the Nationals can make you fight for a win. There are just too many good teams for the Marlins to run away with the division. That's still the best division in baseball in my opinion.

MHOUSE
04-14-2005, 03:25 AM
The D-Train learned from a sophomore slump (18 IP, 0 ER, 2CG SHO), Burnett is healthy, and Beckett is healthy, there is no reason they can't run away from the Phillies (pitching...?) and Braves (no offense). Valdez and Al Leiter will only have to win 10 games apiece if the first three can each win close to 20. With their offense they look SCARY.

MiamiSpartan
04-18-2005, 09:00 AM
AJ pitched another complete game yesterday. The Fish scored enough runs to win, but their bats need to be more consistant to keep up with the pitching. They've lost 4 games they easily could have won, because of no offense.

Stroker Ace
04-18-2005, 05:09 PM
If the innings don't catch up with them down the stretch, watch out National League.

MiamiSpartan
04-18-2005, 05:36 PM
If the innings don't catch up with them down the stretch, watch out National League.

That's the main thing that worries me. The bullpen sucks, and these young arms can't possibly last all year....