PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS

Viva Magglio
07-26-2001, 04:41 PM
Geroge Ofman says James Baldwin traded to Dodgers for three minor leaguers.

PutItOnTheBoard
07-26-2001, 04:43 PM
Yeah, and Glover to start in his place tonight...

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 04:46 PM
Glover gets a chance to show if he can start and Williams got 3(!) players for Baldwin.

Viva Magglio
07-26-2001, 04:47 PM
Three minor leaguers are pitchers. I did not get their names.

PutItOnTheBoard
07-26-2001, 04:49 PM
He said one of the guys was one of the players we traded to the Dodgers to get Osuna. Didn't catch the other two...

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 04:49 PM
Three minor leaguers are pitchers. I did not get their names.

Well a position player would have been nice but perhaps these guys are good and not bums.

:KW
I was just told 3 pitchers, I was not given any stats.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 04:51 PM
He said one of the guys was one of the players we traded to the Dodgers to get Osuna. Didn't catch the other two...

So in a way we traded James Baldwin for Antonio Osuna.
Well that's just how this season has gone.

ps: Cardinals just beat the Cubs.

FarWestChicago
07-26-2001, 04:53 PM
Are you kidding me? That's all Kenny could come up with? Oakland gets Jermaine Dye for nothing. So we counter by getting nothing for JB?

That'll teach Billy Beane!!

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 05:00 PM
Are you kidding me? That's all Kenny could come up with? Oakland gets Jermaine Dye for nothing. So we counter by getting nothing for JB?

Uh West.. there is a difference see Jermaine Dye is what we in the business like to call "good" and James Baldwin is what some people would call "bad".

I said they could have Royce but they didn't want him for some reason.

i ate canada
07-26-2001, 05:05 PM
So Kenny lied to the fans again huh? I'm shocked.

We couldn't even get a major league player for him? A reliever? Something? The Dodgers system is terrible. So either Kenny got fleeced(wouldnt be surprising) or this was strictly a salary dump(which would we awfully stupid considering Baldwin was somewhat of a hot commodity).

FarWestChicago
07-26-2001, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Uh West.. there is a difference see Jermaine Dye is what we in the business like to call "good" and James Baldwin is what some people would call "bad".

JB is a starting pitcher. At this time of year you can get way more than they are worth.

jklm
07-26-2001, 05:06 PM
LA has one of the worst farm systems in baseball (you can check Baseball America/TeamOneBaseball etc.). It will be interesting to see who are the minor leaguers we get in this trade.

As for the three minor leaguers we traded away for Osuna , the best one is Andre Simpson (A ball 2.35ERA 95.2IP 74H 19BB 94K). So I hope it is him who we get for Baldwin.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 05:08 PM
JB is a starting pitcher. At this time of year you can get way more than they are worth.

Not many teams wanted him except for the Dodgers, you need more then one team involved to get more players in return. The D-backs didn't want him. And the Giants might have wanted him but that is just a rumor. Lets wait and see who we got before we say we got ripped off.

FarWestChicago
07-26-2001, 05:09 PM

Not many teams wanted him except for the Dodgers, you need more then one team involved to get more players in return. The D-backs didn't want him. And the Giants might have wanted him but that is just a rumor. Lets wait and see who we got before we say we got ripped off.

We got three pitchers who suck at the minor league level. How much longer do you want to wait before we say we got ripped off?

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 05:11 PM
So Kenny lied to the fans again huh? I'm shocked.
We couldn't even get a major league player for him? A reliever? Something? The Dodgers system is terrible. So either Kenny got fleeced(wouldnt be surprising) or this was strictly a salary dump(which would we awfully stupid considering Baldwin was somewhat of a hot commodity).

How did he lie, did he say Baldwin wouldn't be traded?
Knowing how Jerry runs things this was a salary dump.

i ate canada
07-26-2001, 05:12 PM
Unless one of those guys is named Diggins or Kuo, we probably just dumped him for nothing.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 05:12 PM
We got three pitchers who suck at the minor league level. How much longer do you want to wait before we say we got ripped off?

I haven't seen there stats yet so if you say they suck then they suck.

FarWestChicago
07-26-2001, 05:13 PM

I haven't seen there stats yet so if you say they suck then they suck.

The stats were posted in another thread. They suck.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 05:15 PM
Unless one of those guys is named Diggins or Kuo, we probably just dumped him for nothing.

I would agree with that with our beloved owner.

:reinsy
I can't lose money.

i ate canada
07-26-2001, 05:18 PM
So Jerry, you still want to defend Kenny Williams now? He just lied to us all again. This man needs to be fired ASAP or this team is in serious trouble.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 05:24 PM
So Jerry, you still want to defend Kenny Williams now? He just lied to us all again. This man needs to be fired ASAP or this team is in serious trouble.

How did he lie to us?
It wasn't a secret that James was on the block.
But hell yes we are in trouble where the hell is Schu and Williams advisors when he makes these damn deals? Isn't it funny that Dan Evans helped LA make this trade?

i ate canada
07-26-2001, 05:32 PM
The rumor is that Kenny is no longer on speaking term with Shue. Apparantly Ron didn't agree with the direction Kenny was taking the team, so Kenny told him off. But thats all speculation so I'm not going to put much stock in it.

How did he lie? By going to the press everyday and saying that he doesn't give up, he doesn't agree with dumping a guy just for the sake of dumping him, how he wants to make a trade to help the team, and so forth...

So like I said, either he got fleeced, or he lied and just dumped someone who had trade value for no reason but money(and it's not like JB was making a ton anyways).

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 05:37 PM
The rumor is that Kenny is no longer on speaking term with Shue. Apparantly Ron didn't agree with the direction Kenny was taking the team, so Kenny told him off. But thats all speculation so I'm not going to put much stock in it.

Well then Schu needs to get the hell out of the organization if that is the case.

How did he lie? By going to the press everyday and saying that he doesn't give up, he doesn't agree with dumping a guy just for the sake of dumping him, how he wants to make a trade to help the team, and so forth...

Well like I said earlier, this was a salary dump but in my eyes this isn't giving up. Also most GM's lie to the press. I would rather him say that then say "The season is over everyone is going".

So like I said, either he got fleeced, or he lied and just dumped someone who had trade value for no reason but money(and it's not like JB was making a ton anyways).

I thought he won close to six million in arbitration.

i ate canada
07-26-2001, 05:41 PM
How is that not giving up? We didn't get anything that will help us this year, next year, or any year for that matter. If he was shipped out so that someone like Danny Wright can take his place, that I can understand. It's still giving up, but it's understandable. But didn't Jerry say they weren't going to call up any top prospects because of a possible lockout next year?

And 6 mil is not a ton of money, considering the Sox have already paid JB more than half of that.

FarWestChicago
07-26-2001, 05:45 PM
Well like I said earlier, this was a salary dump but in my eyes this isn't giving up. Also most GM's lie to the press. I would rather him say that then say "The season is over everyone is going".

Uhh, Jer, that big white thing you just saw flying by was the towel that Kenny tossed in on this season. Oakland got Dye, the Giants went and got the Big Cat and we dumped JB. Now, who is quitting and who isn't?

i ate canada
07-26-2001, 05:47 PM
The most the Sox could have saved from trading him was about 2 million. But we traded James AND cash to them. So in the end, we probably didn't save very much money. We dumped him for nothing.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 05:47 PM
How is that not giving up? We didn't get anything that will help us this year, next year, or any year for that matter. If he was shipped out so that someone like Danny Wright can take his place, that I can understand. It's still giving up, but it's understandable. But didn't Jerry say they weren't going to call up any top prospects because of a possible lockout next year? And 6 mil is not a ton of money, considering the Sox have already paid JB more than half of that.

Well I recall Manuel saying that Borchard wouldn't be called up this year. No it's not a ton of money but do you really think that Reinsdorf wants to pay the other half of that 6 million dollar contract. Let's just pray that one of these guys is at-least better then Alan Embree.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 05:49 PM
The most the Sox could have saved from trading him was about 2 million. But we traded James AND cash to them. So in the end, we probably didn't save very much money. We dumped him for nothing.

Ok I am wrong.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 05:52 PM
Uhh, Jer, that big white thing you just saw flying by was the towel that Kenny tossed in on this season. Oakland got Dye, the Giants went and got the Big Cat and we dumped JB. Now, who is quitting and who isn't?

Yes you are correct that the season is over by trading him. The A's have the horses pitching wise to make the wild card while we don't. Williams was just hoping that things would turn around. I am just going to stop I am talking in circles like Kermit and it is obvious that Ate and West have won this arguement so I will now toss in the towel.

FarWestChicago
07-26-2001, 05:56 PM

Yes you are correct that the season is over by trading him. The A's have the horses pitching wise to make the wild card while we don't. Williams was just hoping that things would turn around. I am just going to stop I am talking in circles like Kermit and it is obvious that Ate and West have won this arguement so I will now toss in the towel.

The season isn't over because of dumping JB. This non-trade just reveals that Kenny has decided the season is over. And you can't toss in the towel. Kenny already did. :)

i ate canada
07-26-2001, 05:59 PM
Kenny traded the towel for a mop and a bucket to be named later.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 06:02 PM
And you can't toss in the towel. Kenny already did.

Well then I'll raise Schu's white flag is that better?:)

DuckSnort
07-26-2001, 06:03 PM
from espn.com

"The Dodgers, desperate for starting pitching, gave up left-handers Onan Masaoka and right-handers Gary Majewski and Jonathan Berry for Baldwin and cash."

Joel Perez
07-26-2001, 06:04 PM
WE GOT GARY MAJKEWSKI BACK!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! :)

longshot7
07-26-2001, 06:09 PM
Man, you guys are riled up. As a Dodger fan as well, let me tell you, the Sox got a pretty good deal. First off, we weren't playoff-bound this time. So let's get something for JB!

We got Masaoka, at AAA this year, but was in the Dodgers pen the last two years and is a lefty. Majewski was a steal by them for Osuna. He has tremendous-upside, even though he's only at A-ball. The other guy I don't know, but if you figure this with the Osuna deal, we got four players for JB. Not bad. We'll be okay.

KVinc
07-26-2001, 06:10 PM
kenny williams made a good deal we trade **** for three players one or two could turn out to be an average player at least. Baldwin was a gamer but never consistent so now maybe we will have some consistentcy. Kenny Williams did not throw the towel in,Jerry Manuel said it himself after their win tuesday father time is running out on them they had to win the cleveland series not spilt or anything. And now they have to sweep boston and even if they do they are still 6 games out with possibly three to four team ahead of them. Kenny williams has gotten a bad rap here for some reason, look at the deals he made David wells(got injured) we all knew that was the risk but still he was the ace we needed and he helped Buerhle. Royce Clayton is starting to show why we traded for him hes sucked for the whole year buts hes going on a tear and look at the play he made tuesday on Juan Gonzalez, could Jose do that? Hell No!

Kenny williams has been bit in the ass, but the trades he made were good, even Hawk said he did his job he brought us in with a better team than last years club . Before you point a finger at KW look at the players and look at how maggs was hitting, Paul Konerko, Ray Durham, Jose Valentin, Chris, if these would have at least hit a decent .250 or above for the first two months we would not have been talking about royces bad start because those guys could have carried us. But no because they struggled we have to criticize royce and actually be happy that hes helping us win games.

I am so ****ing tired of everyday KW sucks, Royce sucks look at Maggs in clutch situations and Ray. Also if it was not for KW who was our farm director when schu was g.m. we wouldnt have guys Like Kip,Buerhle,Glover,Foulke so he must have some intellegence if helped bring in those guys. Not to mention Rowrand,Rauch,crede,Borchard,Wright,Fogg,Ginter

i ate canada
07-26-2001, 06:44 PM
Why would a farm director has anything to do with the draft? Kenny did not bring us any of the players that you mentioned. He is a terrible judge of talent, look at his trades. Is it possible that he just "got burned" by bad luck on ALL of them? Sure. But it's also possible that he just has no idea what the hell he's doing out there.

And do not even start with Royce Clayton. He's terrible. Sure he's not as bad as he was in April and May, but he's also not as good as he is right now. He'll end the year at .240 with a .290 OBP, and he'll do it again next year too.