PDA

View Full Version : Not a good first inning for Kid Carrie

soltrain21
04-13-2005, 12:25 PM
If anyone wants to watch him suck it up, he is already down by 4 in the first.

SoxxoS
04-13-2005, 12:26 PM
1 IP, 3 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 walks, 1 HR...BUT 2 K's!!!

mccombe_35
04-13-2005, 12:28 PM
LOL

a 37 pitch 1st inning for Wood.

cubhater77
04-13-2005, 12:28 PM
was checking scores on my break from classes, and saw that one half of the wonderflub pitchers is getting rawked in the first! maybe flubdumb will finally wake up, and see him for what he truely is, the MOST overrated pitcher in baseball.:)

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2005, 12:30 PM
1 IP, 3 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 walks, 1 HR...BUT 2 K's!!!Actually, only 3 ER. One was unearned due to a throwing error by...Balsa Wood. I think he's on to a foolproof method to reduce his ERA.

And don't for get the 1 HBP and the 1 SB.

WhteSox725
04-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Getting two out of the three outs by strikeouts will earn Wood an "encouraging outing" story from the media. They will forget about the 4 runs (3 earned).

Flight #24
04-13-2005, 12:35 PM
Getting two out of the three outs by strikeouts will earn Wood an "encouraging outing" story from the media. They will forget about the 4 runs (3 earned).
5 runs (3 earned). Encouraging to get the Ks, even if you give up HRs I guess!

itsnotrequired
Just gave up an HR.:tongue:

na_na_na_na
wood just gave up another long ball. isn't wrigley a pitchers park in april?

Ol' No. 2
Wood coughs up another gopher ball. Gameday says the wind is blowing in from CF at a nice 21 mph clip, too.

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Another strikeout for Kid K!!! Woo-Woo!!!! Never mind those 5 runs on the board.

DrCrawdad
04-13-2005, 12:39 PM

You can bet that Dusty's boy, "BB," is waiting for the opportunity to spin this in favor of the Cubs. And just as I typed that "BB" blamed the Giles HR on the homeplate ump.

Ron Santo is no doubt following suit.

Tekijawa
04-13-2005, 12:42 PM
The Holy water has to be gone by now?

Flight #24
04-13-2005, 12:44 PM
The Holy water has to be gone by now?

Dusty may want to just go ahead and make the switch to firewater - it might be more useful to him.

Tekijawa
04-13-2005, 12:45 PM
The wind is Blowing 16mph IN from center and he has given up two DONGS?!?!?! The guy is a STUD!

DrCrawdad
04-13-2005, 12:45 PM
With the 5 runs and 50+ pitches Carrie has thrown, there (potentially) goes the "Thinking Dude's" strategy of Carrie first and then Prior in the second game to save the bullpen to follow Prior in his first start this year.

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2005, 12:46 PM
The Holy water has to be gone by now?Where's Moises Alou when you need him?:D:

Tekijawa
04-13-2005, 12:51 PM
HEY Dusty, White people can't pitch on windy days!

HomeFish
04-13-2005, 12:56 PM
C'mon Padres. Don't blow this one.

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2005, 01:00 PM
C'mon Padres. Don't blow this one.Not of Peavy keeps pitching like that. He's through 3 innings in the minimum.

HomeFish
04-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Wood is settling down, though. :(:

As somebody else alluded, it is not enough that the Padres just hold the score as it is. They need to knock Wood around for more, or at the very least keep the pitch count high. The bullpen needs to be wasted before the second game.

daveeym
04-13-2005, 01:04 PM

As somebody else alluded, it is not enough that the Padres just hold the score as it is. They need to knock Wood around for more, or at the very least keep the pitch count high. The bullpen needs to be wasted before the second game. Heh?:?: Shouldn't you be defending balsa?

HomeFish
04-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Damnit, Peavy is melting down.

Tekijawa
04-13-2005, 01:09 PM

As somebody else alluded, it is not enough that the Padres just hold the score as it is. They need to knock Wood around for more, or at the very least keep the pitch count high. The bullpen needs to be wasted before the second game.

YOU JINXED THEM HOMEFISH!!!

WhteSox725
04-13-2005, 01:13 PM
You can bet that Dusty's boy, "BB," is waiting for the opportunity to spin this in favor of the Cubs. And just as I typed that "BB" blamed the Giles HR on the homeplate ump.

Ron Santo is no doubt following suit.

What did the ump put the ball on a tee or something so that it was easier for Giles to hit it?

DrCrawdad
04-13-2005, 01:18 PM
What did the ump put the ball on a tee or something so that it was easier for Giles to hit it?

"BB" said that a preceding pitched was strike three. Hence, Giles wouldn't have hit the HR.

WhteSox725
04-13-2005, 01:20 PM
"BB" said that a preceding pitched was strike three. Hence, Giles wouldn't have hit the HR.

Damn umps. Don't they know everyone wants the Cubs to win the World Series? What are they doing making it harder on them.

DrCrawdad
04-13-2005, 01:21 PM
NOTE TO PADRE HITTERS:

Work the count. Work the count.

DrCrawdad
04-13-2005, 01:27 PM
It will be interesting to hear the announced attendance today seeing that other than the bleachers the park is empty.

I was at the Cub game Monday. The bleachers were full but the upper deck was half empty, the lower about 1/4 empty. Still the announced attendance was 36K.

45 minutes before the game started the scalpers by the Addison EL had fists full of tickets and were shouting that they were under face value.

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2005, 01:29 PM
It will be interesting to hear the announced attendance today seeing that other than the bleachers the park is empty.

I was at the Cub game Monday. The bleachers were full but the upper deck was half empty, the lower about 1/4 empty. Still the announced attendance was 36K.

45 minutes before the game started the scalpers by the Addison EL had fists full of tickets and were shouting that they were under face value.The place could be completely empty and it would make no difference. It's tickets sold, not actual butts in the seats.

Foulke You
04-13-2005, 01:30 PM

45 minutes before the game started the scalpers by the Addison EL had fists full of tickets and were shouting that they were under face value.

You obviously got confused and must have been at a Sox game. We all know the Cubs sell out EVERY single game and there is never a seat to be had.

WhteSox725
04-13-2005, 01:33 PM
The place could be completely empty and it would make no difference. It's tickets sold, not actual butts in the seats.

I thought National League counted their attendence differently. Am I mistaken?

Jerko
04-13-2005, 01:35 PM

Don't forget, these are Cub fans here. They didn't know the game started at noon today.

anewman35
04-13-2005, 01:37 PM

Remember that this was originally a 1:20 game I believe, I'm sure more people will show up later.

DrCrawdad
04-13-2005, 01:38 PM
The place could be completely empty and it would make no difference. It's tickets sold, not actual butts in the seats.

You're right. But did you read that in any reports on the game, did you hear about it on the local news?

Occasionally, this happens at The Cell where there are less in the stands than the announced attendance. The discrepancy is usually noted in the Cubune, on The SCORE and on the news.

Tekijawa
04-13-2005, 01:41 PM

Wrigley doesn't have scalpers, Comiskey does! Wrigley has Third-Party Event Reseller Executives!

WhteSox725
04-13-2005, 01:42 PM
You're right. But did you read that in any reports on the game, did you hear about it on the local news?

Occasionally, this happens at The Cell where there are less in the stands than the announced attendance. The discrepancy is usually noted in the Cubune, on The SCORE and on the news.

They'd probably report they were at the ballpark but it was too cold so they all stayed in the cozy neighborhood taverns that surround the ballpark and cheered the team on from there. Heck they'd probably do a live remote if they could to top it all off.

WhteSox725
04-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Time to rock Wood some more. Two more runs, one of them on a homerun.

Erik The Red
04-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Bob Brenly = the John Madden of baseball. They showed the kids from the IHSA class 7A football state champs (Libertyville), who had gone 14-0 on the season. Brenly said, "I believe that's what they refer to as a 'perfect season'."

With insight like this, I'm baffled as to why Arizona ever fired him.

WhteSox725
04-13-2005, 01:55 PM
What a gutty performance by Wood. Six strikeouts in 6 and two-thirds innings and only two walks. Very encouraging. Never mind the six runs. They don't count.

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Is anyone watching this? How in hell does Lee get doubled off second on a fly ball to LF?:?:

daveeym
04-13-2005, 02:01 PM
On cbssportsline they show lee getting doubled off 2nd on a fly to left, can anyone explain this?

daveeym
04-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Jinx buy me a coke. Is anyone watching this? How in hell does Lee get doubled off second on a fly ball to LF?:?:

SOXSINCE'70
04-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Is anyone watching this? How in hell does Lee get doubled off second on a fly ball to LF?:?:

You'd think we were talking about Carlos Lee,not
Derek Lee.:roflmao: :roflmao:

GO PADRES!!!!!

Iwritecode
04-13-2005, 02:09 PM
From Chicagosports.com:

"Barrett rips one to left and Adam Hyzdu, who somehow snuck in the game under WGN's radar, makes a great diving catch on the warning track. Lee pulls a Moises Alou and is half way to home by the time he realizes Hyzdu made the catch and is doubled up easily. I'm thinking, Hey, maybe Lee can score from second after tagging up on that, considering Hyzdu took a facefull of dirt and then had trouble getting up. But, no. They flash back to the infield and Lee's hustling back to second. Oh, brother."

Seriously guys, check out the "from the cubicle" column they do for Sox and/or Cubs day games. Some dude gets paid to sit on his butt and describe the game. Some of the play-by-play commentary is hilarious. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2005, 02:11 PM
You'd think we were talking about Carlos Lee,not
Derek Lee.:roflmao: :roflmao:

GO PADRES!!!!!Gameday shows it as a relay from Hyzdu to Garcia to Loretta. Where was Lee, standing at home? About the only way to be that far off was if he lost track of the number of outs.

itsnotrequired
04-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Seriously guys, check out the "from the cubicle" column they do for Sox and/or Cubs day games. Some dude gets paid to sit on his butt and describe the game. Some of the play-by-play commentary is hilarious. :cool:

Those guys are indeed funny. I keep the page up at work for both the Sox and Cubs games. What a great job that would be!

Iwritecode
04-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Gameday shows it as a relay from Hyzdu to Garcia to Loretta. Where was Lee, standing at home? About the only way to be that far off was if he lost track of the number of outs.

From the description, it was a pretty amazing catch...

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2005, 02:15 PM
From Chicagosports.com:

"Barrett rips one to left and Adam Hyzdu, who somehow snuck in the game under WGN's radar, makes a great diving catch on the warning track. Lee pulls a Moises Alou and is half way to home by the time he realizes Hyzdu made the catch and is doubled up easily. I'm thinking, Hey, maybe Lee can score from second after tagging up on that, considering Hyzdu took a facefull of dirt and then had trouble getting up. But, no. They flash back to the infield and Lee's hustling back to second. Oh, brother."

Seriously guys, check out the "from the cubicle" column they do for Sox and/or Cubs day games. Some dude gets paid to sit on his butt and describe the game. Some of the play-by-play commentary is hilarious. :cool:So let's see...Wood gets whacked for 3 HR with the wind blowing in, they make three errors (so far) and Lee gets doubled off second on a fly ball to LF. Only the second week of the season and they're in mid-season form.

:santo Ohhhh Nooooo!!!!

WhteSox725
04-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Five homeruns by the Padres. Is the wind really blowing in?

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2005, 02:19 PM
From the description, it was a pretty amazing catch...All the more reason not to be running like an idiot. He should have stopped at third. If Hydzu didn't make the catch, Lee can make it home easily from there, but still can make it back to second if he does. That's just plain stupid baserunning.

Iwritecode
04-13-2005, 02:21 PM
So let's see...Wood gets whacked for 3 HR with the wind blowing in, they make three errors (so far) and Lee gets doubled off second on a fly ball to LF. Only the second week of the season and they're in mid-season form.

:santo Ohhhh Nooooo!!!!

I was laughing yesterday when I saw the Burnitz error and then when he later struck out with 2 men on.

I thought to myself "Wow, these guys won't miss Sosa at all. Burnitz will more than make up for all those strikeouts, errors and missed cutoff men." :D:

Iwritecode
04-13-2005, 02:22 PM
All the more reason not to be running like an idiot. He should have stopped at third. If Hydzu didn't make the catch, Lee can make it home easily from there, but still can make it back to second if he does. That's just plain stupid baserunning.

It was probably because the wind is blowing in so hard that he couldn't stop... :redneck

WhteSox725
04-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Where is the vaunted Cubs offense that everyone was singing the praises of after the first game? They have scored 22 runs in 7 games (including Game 1 today) since then.

chidavid18
04-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Cubs lose game one Pads 8 cubs 3

Tekijawa
04-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Where is the vaunted Cubs offense that everyone was singing the praises of after the first game? They have scored 22 runs in 7 games (including Game 1 today) since then.

Actually what happened to the pitching staff that I had drilled into my head was one of the greatest ever assembled? Thanks Trib! Thanks Baseball Tonight! Thanks Chicago Media... you guys hit the nail on the head with this team!!!

Tekijawa
04-13-2005, 02:39 PM
What a gutty performance by Wood. Six strikeouts in 6 and two-thirds innings and only two walks. Very encouraging. Never mind the six runs. They don't count.

3 of those K's were by Peavy... Doubt you'll see that reported in the paper tomorrow though...

SoxSpeed22
04-13-2005, 02:40 PM
That makes them (3-5) now. We have spread the dreaded
:corpseball across town. If anyone can whip up a Cub version of that that would be awesome/hilarious.
Anyway, I want to know how long it will be before fans scream for firing Dusty.

The Over/Under will be The All-Star Break

I'll go under.

Iwritecode
04-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Actually what happened to the pitching staff that I had drilled into my head was one of the greatest ever assembled? Thanks Trib! Thanks Baseball Tonight! Thanks Chicago Media... you guys hit the nail on the head with this team!!!

You forgot the teal... :tongue:

Stroker Ace
04-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Cubs lose game one Pads 8 cubs 3

All I need is a twink loss and a win for the Sox and my day is set.

maurice
04-13-2005, 02:44 PM
6.2 IP, 112 pitches, 7 R, 6 ER, 1 E, 9 hits (including a 2B and 3 HRs), 2 BB, 6 K . . . leaving him 0-1 on the season with a 5.84 ERA.

Even the strikeout total looks lame when you realize that 3 of them were the opposing pitcher.

Iwritecode
04-13-2005, 02:45 PM
That makes them (3-5) now. We have spread the dreaded
:corpseball across town. If anyone can whip up a Cub version of that that would be awesome/hilarious.
Anyway, I want to know how long it will be before fans scream for firing Dusty.

The Over/Under will be The All-Star Break

I'll go under.

I'm not so sure it was corpseball. Peavy is a pretty damn good pitcher. On Baseball tonight last night they said he was the best pitcher currently in Chicago. BURN!!!

Also the fact that Wood was serving up meatballs and they were down 4 runs before they even took one swing probably had something to do with it.

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm not so sure it was corpseball. Peavy is a pretty damn good pitcher. On Baseball tonight last night they said he was the best pitcher currently in Chicago. BURN!!!

Also the fact that Wood was serving up meatballs and they were down 4 runs before they even took one swing probably had something to do with it.What's their excuse for all the other games? It's an all-or-nothing offense that's all too familiar.

soxfanforlife28
04-13-2005, 02:48 PM
was checking scores on my break from classes, and saw that one half of the wonderflub pitchers is getting rawked in the first! maybe flubdumb will finally wake up, and see him for what he truely is, the MOST overrated pitcher in baseball.:)Arrogance is bliss. Just it will be funny when i deal with more flub fans at the bar with there denials.Go sox!

Iwritecode
04-13-2005, 02:55 PM
What's their excuse for all the other games? It's an all-or-nothing offense that's all too familiar.

I admit that I haven't really paid much attention to their games so far this year but they've never really been a smallball (or smartball as Ozzie would say) club. At least for the past few years they haven't been.

I thought that was the reasoning for getting a "true lead-off" guy in Hairston?

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2005, 02:56 PM
I admit that I haven't really paid much attention to their games so far this year but they've never really been a smallball (or smartball as Ozzie would say) club. At least for the past few years they haven't been.

I thought that was the reasoning for getting a "true lead-off" guy in Hairston?Yeah. And what does Baker do? He plays Neifi Perez and sits Hairston on the bench. :kukoo:

Flight #24
04-13-2005, 02:58 PM
What's their excuse for all the other games? It's an all-or-nothing offense that's all too familiar.

C'mon ON2, you know very well that the Cubs let go Sammy & Alou to make their offense more consistent and actually improved it. While the Sox let go Lee and Valentin and just simply shredded their offense......

santo=dorf
04-13-2005, 03:31 PM
3 of those K's were by Peavy... Doubt you'll see that reported in the paper tomorrow though...
:worship:
I was reading through this entire thread to see if somebody would point this out.
Kerry Wood is so overrated.

StillMissOzzie
04-13-2005, 04:55 PM
From the description, it was a pretty amazing catch...

I heard it on the radio, then saw it as a highlight. Tough to rip D Lee a new one on this play, it was a sensational diving catch where the LF ended up belly-flopping onto the warning track on his dive and held onto the ball. Had to look like a gapper, but when you're down by 5-6 runs or so by that point...

SMO
:gulp:

SoxxoS
04-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Peavy is head a shoulders above Carrie and Prior...I think he is Cy Young this year...

doublem23
04-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Peavy is head a shoulders above Carrie and Prior...I think he is Cy Young this year...

... if he didn't play in San Diego. Peavy was masterful, but guaranteed 9 out of 10 guys who vote for the Cy Young Award couldn't pick Peavy out of a line-up.

SoxxoS
04-13-2005, 10:47 PM
... if he didn't play in San Diego. Peavy was masterful, but guaranteed 9 out of 10 guys who vote for the Cy Young Award couldn't pick Peavy out of a line-up.

Finished 2nd to Johnson last year, I believe...those writers better know who he is. He is a flat stud.

maurice
04-14-2005, 12:24 PM
From the Southtown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/141sd8.htm):
The natives got so restless Wednesday they booed Kerry Wood. The Cubs' star pitcher was roughed up in the first inning of an 8-3 loss to San Diego in the first game of a doubleheader at Wrigley Field and Cubs fans booed. It's believed to be the first time "Kid K" received an abrasive reaction at the Friendly Confines. Wood's reaction? "I didn't hear it," Wood said.

With the wind blowing from left field to right field at 16 mph, the Padres hit four home runs in the game the three off Wood going into the right-field bleachers. "I was surprised to see the ball leaving the park," Wood said. "It makes you wonder how far they would have gone if the wind was not blowing in."

Brian26
04-14-2005, 01:36 PM
If anyone wants to watch him suck it up, he is already down by 4 in the first.

:whiner: